R16: Colombia v England

305 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: R16: Colombia v England

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 10:15

bloke on the line was at fault for the goal. tried to be clever and flick it up and over the bar rather than back into play and ended up flicking it into the net

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jul 2018 10:18

Didn't help that we had the shortest player on the pitch defending the post :|

Excellent try-hard negativity by OMA, some people just can't enjoy enjoyment can they?

ICH

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 10:19

Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews
Maneki Neko
:|

It was going wide, it is a fact.

righto!

Watch the video shot from behind the goal. Going wide.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 04 Jul 2018 10:19

what a feeling what a night. Henry Winter has tweeted credit to the Reading fans that were out there to, anyone know who they were?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 10:20

Silver Fox Didn't help that we had the shortest player on the pitch defending the post :|

Excellent try-hard negativity by OMA, some people just can't enjoy enjoyment can they?

ICH

It isn't negative to say it was going wide it is stating a fact. If you oxf*rd read my comment properly I said I don't know how he even got to it and that it was world class you oxf*rd idiot.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jul 2018 10:22

Old Man Andrews The shot was going wide though/hitting the outside of the post. If he hadn't have touched it Colombia wouldn't have scored from the corner and we win 1-0.

Don't get upset though, I'm not having a go, i actually feel sorry for you

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 10:24

Old Man Andrews
Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews

righto!

Watch the video shot from behind the goal. Going wide.

uh-huh

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 10:25

Silver Fox
Old Man Andrews The shot was going wide though/hitting the outside of the post. If he hadn't have touched it Colombia wouldn't have scored from the corner and we win 1-0.

Don't get upset though, I'm not having a go, i actually feel sorry for you

What was the rest of the post? Stupid prick.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jul 2018 10:28

Nice sig

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jul 2018 10:58

A really exciting night spoilt by the whole ITV set-up.
Commentary by Tyldesley the usual tosh and never seeing an English player commit a foul.
Hoddle-praising everything England did as if we were cruising it 6-0.

As for the studio-too much about what Wrighty and co were doing when we were taking penalties and very little replay of action, especially the brilliant save by Pickford.
Re-Pickford, he saved the important penalty with his "wrong" hand-something that the so-called "experts" castigated him for in the Belgium game but little comment last night.

Agree with others about Maguire except that he was the one challenging for their headed goal.
Stones and Walker, always a defensive mistake about to happen.
Trippier doing much better than expected but still suspect defensively.

Interesting that they really had spent loads of time taking taking penalties at the end of training and presumably Dier and Henderson had shown up well there and presumably Vardy didn't.

Knowing Spurs reputation for diving (Ali, Rose etc.) I would like to see some footage on how a big bloke like Kane gets floored so easily.
We only ever see the last bit but does he (like a lot of forwards) grab the defender's shirt first?
These penalties and other set pieces have kept us in this World Cup-credit to the coaching staff.

Lastly, how fine is that line between success and failure.
If we had failed in the penalty shoot-out it would have been a poor World Cup and Southgate would have been caned for resting the first team v Belgium.
As it is, he is now treated as a hero by his pundit mates for getting us through the second round.

Hopefully BBC (slightly better) has the next game.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 04 Jul 2018 11:06

Maneki Neko bloke on the line was at fault for the goal. tried to be clever and flick it up and over the bar rather than back into play and ended up flicking it into the net

At fault, but not because he was trying to be clever. For me it looked like he was anticipating a straight header into the top corner, and timed his jump accordingly - but it actually went down and bounced up so he was already on the way down as it was heading towards him, and could only try a desperate flick. A mistake, but a very much forgivable one.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jul 2018 11:07

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jul 2018 11:10

Vardy was due to take the last pen, but picked up a groin strain, so kudos to Dier to make up for the free header he should have scored from minutes earlier.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 04 Jul 2018 11:16

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Zammo Obvs gr8 scenes with Dier's pen, but few thoughts..............

Current XI set-up is too one dimensional.
What has happened to Sterling ? He soooo much better than that.
Maguire is the new Terry Butcher.
We looked better when Rose came on.
Why didn't Vardy take a pen ?

Thought the same thing when I didn't see Vardy. Can only put it down to his nerve, just can't have fancied one. Dier seems like a calm bloke who isn't phased by anything so probably made sense for him to take the last one.

Agreed re Dier's nerve, but it was ironic that the winning penalty was probably the worst of the lot, by either side.

I would have to say the worst penalty was the Colombian's which hit the crossbar. That was the only penalty that didn't hit the target.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 04 Jul 2018 11:27

Zammo What has happened to Sterling ? He soooo much better than that.

I think he's doing the role that Southgate is asking him to. Ok his final decision/pass/shot could be a bit better but then I'd say the same about Alli and Linguard at the moment. Don't think it was a coincidence that when he went off we lost a lot of keeping the ball and running at Colombia that was keeping them pushed back and a gap between their midfield and Falcao.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Jul 2018 11:31

Maneki Neko old England would definitely have succumbed to that nonsense and had a sending off

indeed, Henderson nearly lost it twice as it was

yep. We nearly walked into the Colombians' trap. Even Maguire on a couple of occasions, once over a throw in. Why Henderson was scuffling with the Colombians minutes after the penalty award is a mystery, but it got him a yellow.

Pretty sure Sweden will not try that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 11:42

LUX
Maneki Neko old England would definitely have succumbed to that nonsense and had a sending off

indeed, Henderson nearly lost it twice as it was

yep. We nearly walked into the Colombians' trap. Even Maguire on a couple of occasions, once over a throw in. Why Henderson was scuffling with the Colombians minutes after the penalty award is a mystery, but it got him a yellow.

Pretty sure Sweden will not try that.

Yeah I think it will be a decent watch on Saturday. Sweden are an honest side and I'd like to think we are too so hopefully it is just all about the football.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 11:43

Old Man Andrews
Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews Was 100% going wide but how he got to it I do not know. World class.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 04 Jul 2018 11:45

Anyone got a link to all the penalties? I’d like to remind myself how it went and the highlight reel only shows the last two.

ICH

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 11:48

genome
Old Man Andrews
Maneki Neko

Thanks for posting that, been looking for a conclusive angle.

305 posts