Liam Moore to Brighton

489 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Liam Moore to Brighton

by Hound » 28 Jul 2018 13:10

Yeah, suspect there are going to be a few players coming available from the Prem as they start naming their squads for the season

Someone like that Hefele chap at Huddersfield wouldn’t be a bad shout and almost certainly available

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 28 Jul 2018 13:23

bobby1413
I understand your instinct to just say to him "No, you're in a contract, tough". But it's real life and real people we're dealing with and to do something like that can only ever be negative. Imagine you and your family wanted to move, you'd found a prospective job somewhere and you said to your boss you want to go and hand him your resignation letter. He refuses, says you're still in a contract and you have to continue coming in 9-5 for the next two years. I doubt you'd come bouncing into work after that, ready to make an impact and hit the targets.

I don't think it is a show of weakness. It happens all the time and that is just the way football works

Your analogy doesn't bear the slightest scrutiny, the two scenarios are completely different. Standard employment contracts have notice periods for both parties built into them, footballers contracts don't. The whole point of a transfer fee is to compensate the selling club for losing a player who is under contract to them and if the compensation figure (transfer fee) can't be agreed, the player stays.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Jul 2018 13:33

Denver Royal
DOYLERSAROYALER Surprised hes waited until being plastered across social media wearing the new kit as part of the new kit launch..to then decide a few hours later..."I'm off"

Maybe he waited to see who we brought in over the Summer before deciding ‘I’m off’. Not saying that was the only factor, but maybe it played some part of it. Leaving it this late, he must have known he’d be leaving us in the lurch a bit. We have an important opening league game less than a week away now.

I think there may be something in that first bit. Otherwise why wait so long before putting in a request? Why not do it the last time the club told Brighton to get lost?

Can't really blame him if our distinctly average transfer window to date has left him underwhelmed and doubting the financial commitment to make a serious push for promotion.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Jul 2018 13:53

Regardless as to whether or not this has happened, i think £8m plus add ons (if that's what the deal actually was) is good business.

Moore was part of a poor defence last season (and the season before on numerous away days) when generally the opposition looked like scoring every time it attacked; yes he puts his body on the line, but his positional sense is questionable and a fair few goals conceded last season were directly as a result of this, and remember Leicester let him go for around £1m and clearly didn't think he was premiership quality.

As for Moore himself, he is likely to be fourth choice at Brighton, their defence is solid and kept them up last season and the Dunk/Duffy partnership is well established and he will be on the bench at best.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Jul 2018 14:10

Moore not in the squad for the Palace game.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 28 Jul 2018 14:22

Fair play to him if he wants to grab some prem football but leaving it this late is being a bit of a oxf*rd tbh.Great player but could be replaced with equal quality shrewd transfer market dealing by PC

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Jul 2018 14:25

Piss off Moore you and those south coast arseholes deserve each other.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jul 2018 15:00

Muggy Moore is a pcunt.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2018 15:13

tidus_mi2 Moore not in the squad for the Palace game.

We need to do a deal quickly with Brighton now and forget about Moore and focus on his replacement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2018 15:29

Hound With Brighton always holding an interest and needing another home grown player, this was always likely to happen. Better now than this time next week

As said, wheels now need to get into motion to get his replacement in. Idea of McShane and O Shea as a CB pairing is genuinely terrifying

Not as much as O'Shea and Blackett. We might as well just not turn up, might help the GD.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2018 15:37

Muskrat
bobby1413
I understand your instinct to just say to him "No, you're in a contract, tough". But it's real life and real people we're dealing with and to do something like that can only ever be negative. Imagine you and your family wanted to move, you'd found a prospective job somewhere and you said to your boss you want to go and hand him your resignation letter. He refuses, says you're still in a contract and you have to continue coming in 9-5 for the next two years. I doubt you'd come bouncing into work after that, ready to make an impact and hit the targets.

I don't think it is a show of weakness. It happens all the time and that is just the way football works

Your analogy doesn't bear the slightest scrutiny, the two scenarios are completely different. Standard employment contracts have notice periods for both parties built into them, footballers contracts don't. The whole point of a transfer fee is to compensate the selling club for losing a player who is under contract to them and if the compensation figure (transfer fee) can't be agreed, the player stays.

That's nice. We're dealing with reality though. We don't want a de-motivated and unhappy cb playing. We certainly don't want to pay one to rot in our reserves. And we sure as hell don't want to advertise to prospective players that we'll shaft their future opportunities to stick to the letter of a contract and cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Contracts may not be the same outside of football for notice periods and transfer fees, but when was the last time a footballer had their contract for poor performance?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Jul 2018 16:13

Tell them to give us Baldock, Hemed and £4M or to oxf*rd off

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2018 16:22

Royal_jimmy Tell them to give us Baldock, Hemed and £4M or to oxf*rd off

I suspect we will get Baldock and about £5 million. Either way Moore is going so let’s get the deal done

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Jul 2018 17:04

Sell and reinvest. We’re still shit with Moore so

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Jul 2018 17:28

TiagoIlori Sell and reinvest. We’re still shit with Moore so

He's already been sold, just personal terms to be sorted with Brighton now. Suited the club for Moore to be seen to be handing in a request.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 28 Jul 2018 18:07

Didn't he have to go to similar measures to force through a move to come to Reading? Can't blame him - He may've been playing the waiting game to see if a bids accepted and then after he's seen the type of players and who we've brought in and how we've strengthened (if we can say that) this summer he's decided that we definitely won't get to the premier league with this squad - which is where he needs to be.

Big shame, can't blame him, and I'd be interested to see how he gets on wherever he ends up. I don't think he was great last year, but some matches he was outstanding (QPR home), and he's probably the least at fault out of our defensive 4.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jul 2018 18:12

Don't Leicester get massive percentage if we sell on? Can't see us coming out of this very well but Moore has got to go now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2018 18:48

I don’t know if they do - not sure it was mentioned

Anyway with the silly money flying about in the Prem, 10m is a minimum for me. They have money to burn, no point letting him go on the cheap

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jul 2018 16:55

Old Man Andrews Don't Leicester get massive percentage if we sell on? Can't see us coming out of this very well but Moore has got to go now.

Not massive iirc, but they get something. Good to see the manager say the club hold the cards, he wants him abs if it doesn't work out he's part of the club.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 29 Jul 2018 18:15

I keep reading posts here and other threads saying, “if Moore goes” and “if we can keep Moore”.

The deal to sell Moore was advanced soon after Brighton made the 3rd bid for £8m+2m. Since then both clubs went deathly silent with no media coverage, not a word. Both busy thrashing things out between themselves, the player and his agent. Do you really think a club like Reading can afford not to cash in on a £10m sale of a single player? No of course they can’t.

A day before a game when Moore’s expected to play someone tweets Moore’s put in a transfer request and you lot go along with it, which suits the club.

Moore’s money will allow the club to spend 2 or £3m on maybe 2 players and maybe sign a couple of loans. The rest of the money will go to balance the books. So please stop thinking the Moore deal is against the club’s wishes because it’s not. It’s exactly what a mid to struggling Championship club hopes for when making these type of signings and not pushing anywhere near the top 6.

489 posts