The Demise of Reading FC (Thread 5,000,001)

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
McDermolenko

The Demise of Reading FC (Thread 5,000,001)

by McDermolenko » 12 Sep 2018 17:50

With today’s news supposedly presenting yet another nail in our now 6/7 year old coffin, Is this the end of Reading FC as we know it?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Demise of Reading FC (Thread 5,000,001)

by 72 bus » 12 Sep 2018 18:40

McDermolenko With today’s news supposedly presenting yet another nail in our now 6/7 year old coffin, Is this the end of Reading FC as we know it?

The end of reading as we know it happened some time ago, around the time John Madejski's business interests went down the pan and he sold us to the Russian.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Sep 2018 03:05

It's difficult to keep the traditional values of a club, especially ones like ours, in the modern game. I'd say the sport on the whole is being ruined

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Sep 2018 04:21

Sir John was special as he genuinely cared/cares about Reading (the place) and Reading FC. He owns loads of different places around town and he hosts some of the events and is seen strolling around Broad Street regularly.

Compare that with rich fat cats from Thailand, China, Poland etc... who had probably never been to Reading before and had to check on the map where it was.

You'll never ever get any where near the same connection with these new types of owners and investors.

It's so sad. I did appreciate it when SJM was in full control ... but I probably didn't realise how great and lucky it was.

I sure as hell know many fans typically whined about investment and him being tight, criticising him and wanting rich investment. The same fans that b1tch directly to JLow about his journalism and message players to slag them off.

I've gone off tangent. Anyway yea I think modern football at a highish level is always going to involve foreign owners and a lack of proper identity.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Sep 2018 14:08

John Smith It's difficult to keep the traditional values of a club, especially ones like ours, in the modern game. I'd say the sport on the whole is being ruined

Hear Hear!!!
It all comes down to one thing!!! Money.
Since the PL increased the money in recent years promotion has become and obsession for some clubs to the point spending in championship is now at a ridiculous level to go up......I suspect there maybe a few more QPR's just around the corner.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2018 14:40

Ascotexgunner
John Smith It's difficult to keep the traditional values of a club, especially ones like ours, in the modern game. I'd say the sport on the whole is being ruined

Hear Hear!!!
Since the PL increased the money in recent years promotion has become and obsession for some clubs to the point spending in championship is now at a ridiculous level to go up......I suspect there maybe a few more QPR's just around the corner.

Think it would help if the Premier League added a second division of 20 clubs and with no parachute payments for clubs relegated into the FL. Of course it'll never happen as that'd mean having to make the pittance that the PL receives from its various TV deals go further.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Sep 2018 10:31

Sutekh
Ascotexgunner

Hear Hear!!!

Think it would help if the Premier League added a second division of 20 clubs and with no parachute payments for clubs relegated into the FL. Of course it'll never happen as that'd mean having to make the pittance that the PL receives from its various TV deals go further.

You know what Mr S.....That is the scariest suggestion I have heard for a while.....and generally a realistic one. I could see a huge split in English football if that came into being. I could see a PL cut to say 12-14 teams and a second tier of 20 hand picked clubs who are big yet constantly sh*t......clubs like Newcastle.....and it being closed off. The lure of the money and guaranteed "no relegation" for those clubs would convince them enough not do give a t*ss about everyone else.

under the tin

by under the tin » 14 Sep 2018 11:00

Ascotexgunner
Sutekh
Ascotexgunner
Hear Hear!!!

You know what Mr S.....That is the scariest suggestion I have heard for a while.....and generally a realistic one. I could see a huge split in English football if that came into being. I could see a PL cut to say 12-14 teams and a second tier of 20 hand picked clubs who are big yet constantly sh*t......clubs like Newcastle.....and it being closed off. The lure of the money and guaranteed "no relegation" for those clubs would convince them enough not do give a t*ss about everyone else.

Oh it's going to happen.
But it won't be like that.
The really big franchises will eventually tire of dirtying their players' boots on the pitches of Vicarage Road, and the King Power.
Aided and abetted by the Television/streaming boys, a pay-per-view European Super league will be formed.

The possible upsides to this are that the expensive show ponies will all be playing for Microsoft Man United, Fiat Juventus, and the like.
This will impact wages on the clubs left behind, and will probably make our top flight a proper competition again.
And it will do wonders for the development of home grown players of our national teams.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Sep 2018 12:10

Realistically, i can see the Champions League and Europa League being scrapped to make way for a 20 team Elite Europe league with a second tier of 12 teams fed from the best of the rest of the leagues. The Premier league will be a made up from steady teams like Palace and Everton. All star players will be poached and hoarded as the PL wont have any lucrative TV/streaming deals therefore will sell assets to survive. The PL and Football League will be subsidised by the European leagues.

However Reading will continue to churn out decent keepers.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Sep 2018 14:24

Coppells Lost Coat However Reading will continue to churn out decent keepers.

And continue to never play any of them in the first team.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1