MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

156 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts here

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 17:13

Snowflake Royal
Zip My mate Mark Jones lino for that Barnsley game too. I might be buying him a beer next week. One more minute to hang on.

He's my hero. Can't believe we've won!

Home
P3, W0, D0, L3

Away
P4, W1, D2, L1

Can we play away every week?

He’s my hero too Ian. I did ask him to make sure he flagged pretty sharpish for Preston offsides :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2018 17:17

Great result and character shown. Away we seen i a reasonable place - done ok

Now to sort out the horrific home form

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Sep 2018 17:18

CLEMENT IN?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts heregai

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2018 17:19

Zip The real diehards would have gone to that game today. They will have enjoyed that and deservedly so.
Interesting to see what side is picked against Narch. If fit will Barrow come back in?

I feel strongly that you should keep tinkering to a minimum and rarely change a winning side. But I'd still drop Aluko and start Bodvarsson for sure... whether that means more than one change I'm not sure, probably. I know we won, but I still don't trust Kelly and Swift in the same midfield, especially if Swift is the deeper one. Plus if Blackett was fit I'd drop Gunter... but that's because I'm biased against him.

I wouldn't bring Barrow straight back in. I'd give him 20 minutes from the bench first to prove he's up to it. He was terrible against Wednesday.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 15 Sep 2018 17:22

One comment: Sims was pure class to run onto to that Kelly ball, have the confidence to push it past the full back, use his speed to get there and then put in a decent ball. The one bit of quality all game.
Last edited by Dick Habbin's hairdo on 15 Sep 2018 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts heregai

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 17:26

Snowflake Royal
Zip The real diehards would have gone to that game today. They will have enjoyed that and deservedly so.
Interesting to see what side is picked against Narch. If fit will Barrow come back in?

I feel strongly that you should keep tinkering to a minimum and rarely change a winning side. But I'd still drop Aluko and start Bodvarsson for sure... whether that means more than one change I'm not sure, probably. I know we won, but I still don't trust Kelly and Swift in the same midfield, especially if Swift is the deeper one. Plus if Blackett was fit I'd drop Gunter... but that's because I'm biased against him.

I wouldn't bring Barrow straight back in. I'd give him 20 minutes from the bench first to prove he's up to it. He was terrible against Wednesday.

Yeah that’s pretty much how I see it. Will be interesting to see the comments on Aluko, Gunter etc from those who attended. I think Sims deserves a start. If Kelly and Swift are to start we have to have Bacuna in there too. It does limit our attacking options although didn’t seem to today.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (a) sponsored by the season starts heretic

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 17:27

Dick Habbin's hairdo One comment: Sims was pure class to run onto to that Kelly ball, have the confidence to push it past the full back, use his speed to get there and then put in a decent ball. The one but of quality all game.

It’s exactly what we need from our wingers and precisely what Aluko hasn’t been providing. Sims has made a positive impact despite such limited game time.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Sep 2018 17:48

Woooo thats better.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2018 17:49

Just from the highlights, couple of nice bits of play by Swift

I don’t mind him and Bacuna in the middle - have a bit of dynamism and creativity about them. Be interested to see how Kelly played

Lovely bit of play by Sims on the third - laid it on a plate.

That bit of play by their #12 on their first goal was comically inept. Kind of thing we are used to seeing tbh

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 17:56

Hound Just from the highlights, couple of nice bits of play by Swift

I don’t mind him and Bacuna in the middle - have a bit of dynamism and creativity about them. Be interested to see how Kelly played

That bit of play by their #12 on their first goal was comically inept. Kind of thing we are used to seeing tbh

Yes it was good to see Sims deciding to take the ball to the by line and cut it back for Bacuna. Decent through ball by Swift to Baldock who supplied a decent finish. Lovely backheel by Swift and good work by Aluko with Ilori quick off the mark for our second goal.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 15 Sep 2018 18:00

I thought Kelly sounded like he probably had his best game for a while coming forward. Seemed to have a lot more space..

I thought Swift did we expect of him ( thought thought he was lucky a foul wasn't given for the first.) Lovely flick though.
TBF Preston could have been 3 up easily early on including a free header that they somehow contrived to hit the post with.
We need to follow this win up badly next week and get the home form back on track.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Sep 2018 18:05

It will be interesting to see where Ezatolahi fits into Clement's plans. It sounds like he could add a bit of steel and solidity to midfield which is what we need.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2018 20:13

Zip

Yes it was good to see Sims deciding to take the ball to the by line and cut it back for Bacuna. Decent through ball by Swift to Baldock who supplied a decent finish. Lovely backheel by Swift and good work by Aluko with Ilori quick off the mark for our second goal.

I thought our first goal looked a little suspect. Swift jumped all over the Preston player who stopped, and then a hint of possible offside for Baldock. I'm not complaining though.

I saw the second half and Kelly and Swift both showed more of what they're capable of, but still flashes of the things people don't like about them. Didn't see Bacuna do much wrong, which is a positive after what I've thought were some pretty lackluster displays from him recently. And all of them contributed to our goals.

Swift played to the whistle and won the ball, then played a good pass through to Baldock to finish.
Swift combined well with Aluko at a short corner for Sone to cross for Ilori to score.
Bacuna broke forward well with a good pass to Kelly, who played a good pass to Sims, who put in a good cross for Bacuna to finish.
Swift was also close to another goal from (I think) a peach of a Kelly cross.

I fear it wouldn't take much for that midfield to have another terrible day at home and get out fought and overrun. But it also ought to be a pretty top combination in this division if they all find some form and play to close to their potential.

I find it difficult to criticise Aluko too strongly for this game given he got an assist at a time when we could easily have folded and gone on to lose.

The balance with the front three / four isn't quite there yet, but that result will have done us the world of good. We just have to string it together with another good performance and result at home. I'm not sure another score draw is good enough but I'd take it, a 0-0 would be fine and a win would be excellent. If we can do the miraculous and get three wins on the bounce, or two and a draw - hopefully with a clean sheet somewhere, that would be amazing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 20:16

From Despair To Where? It will be interesting to see where Ezatolahi fits into Clement's plans. It sounds like he could add a bit of steel and solidity to midfield which is what we need.

He might make the bench on Wednesday night. Barrow should be fit to play so would hope he would come into the side for Aluko. I can’t see many changes at all though. Blackett has a hammy so the back five is very likely to be as today. Kelly appears to have played well, Swift was involved in two of our goals and Bacuna scored so reckon they will all start. Baldock also scored so again think he will start.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Sep 2018 07:12

WoodleyRoyal Burton away last season

Derby 3-3

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2018 11:31

Even though I predicted a win and was thrilled to see us win
let's not forget that we conceded 23 shots, 10 on target plus five blocks

and, I believe, hitting a post doesn't count as on target.

That is a scary number of chances to concede. There is still
a radical fault in the team

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Sep 2018 15:23

Snowball Even though I predicted a win and was thrilled to see us win

I`m surprised they count blocked shots in those stats too, saw it in the paper this morning, had 5 blocked, it wasn`t plus it was included . 8 off target 10 on target, agree thats alot.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Sep 2018 18:19

From Despair To Where? It will be interesting to see where Ezatolahi fits into Clement's plans. It sounds like he could add a bit of steel and solidity to midfield which is what we need.

Will he make the grade? A player with potential. Unlikely to be a saviour.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2018 19:10

windermereROYAL

I`m surprised they count blocked shots in those stats too, saw it in the paper this morning, had 5 blocked, it wasn`t plus it was included . 8 off target 10 on target, agree thats alot.

In a number of games we seemto have conceded a lot of shots however we have actually been defending reasonably well and a lot of the shots are hopeful long range efforts.
As with many football stats the numbers are fairly meaningless.
I’d say it is much more impressive to score a number of goals from a lowish number of shots than few goals from lots of shots.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2018 19:22

Nameless
windermereROYAL

In a number of games we seemto have conceded a lot of shots however we have actually been defending reasonably well and a lot of the shots are hopeful long range efforts.
As with many football stats the numbers are fairly meaningless.
I’d say it is much more impressive to score a number of goals from a lowish number of shots than few goals from lots of shots.

If you look at the Championship Team Stats on Whoscored, we're 7th in terms of the teams with the highest percentage of shots conceded outside the box.

I genuinely don't think the defence is much of a problem. It is and always has been midfield. We haven't had a winger who could properly support their full back since McCleary was playing regularly, and even then only him. And our midfield is constantly running all over the pitch like a headless chicken, failing to track runners and leaving gaps in the middle of the pitch. That has to be what we solve, but we have to retain an attacking threat, or we just invite more and more pressure and allow the opposition to throw more players forward to overload us because they don't need to defend.

156 posts