BFTG - Preston

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG - Preston

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Sep 2018 20:12

Well that was certainly improved. It was incredible to see desire and a willingness to attack from us. I can't believe the heads didn't drop after their equaliser but they didn't!

I know it's awful to critique our team after such an important win but there were a few things that annoyed me.

1. Gunter should have been (and should be for the next game) either dropped or preferably swapped to the left flank. Yiadom is much better. Both goals came down our right hand side. That's not an accident and was certainly deliberate. As soon as Neil saw Aluko and Gunter on the team sheet he most certainly said "run it at them, they're shite".

2. Speaking of Aluko... drop him. You can drop Mannone you can drop Aluko. Yes he got an assist (more credit to Swift for that imo) but he was his usual abysmal self for most of the game. When I watched our 3rd goal I immediately said to myself that if it was Aluko instead of Sims he would have knocked the ball out of play and wasted that move or cut inside and oxf*rd it all up.

3. It worked to a certain extent but the swap of Baldock to left wing to accommodate Bodvarson wasn't worth it for me. Sims was warming up behind Bod and I really thought a switch to 4-4-2 was coming. A double swap of Bod and Sims on for Aluko and Kelly made much more sense to me at the time. (Obviously Kelly played a role in our winning goal so what do I know?)

What seems clear to me is that the majority of the break was spent making sure the team stop dropping their heads. They had much more confidence today. It was nice to see.

The goals against us were still incredibly weak. We need to stop conceding awful, sloppy goals. I'm convinced we would concede less with Aluko out of the team and Yiadom at RB.

Walker - 6 - he did his job for the most part, some good saves and got down well but his distribution was very poor.
Gunter - 5 - ugh. I think I could write a general summary for Gunter and use it every time. His crossing was mostly terrible and he gave his man too much room too often.
Moore - 7 - Good blocks, calm in possession and was unlucky with the rebound for their first goal.
Ilori - 7 - Scored so there's that. His lethargic passing style is nice to watch but will get us in trouble one day. His pass back to Walker in the first half gave me a heart attack.
Yiadom - 7 - He's just brilliant isn't he? Strong, fast, capable, intelligent. He's got everything a fullback needs. Loved his save from that woeful Aluko crossfield pass.
Bacuna - 7 - poor in the first half but really came into it in the second and showed desire. He started the counter for the 3rd and then got up there to finish it. I love that.
Swift - 7 - My MOTM. His passing was excellent throughout as was his positioning (both defensively and attacking) If he keeps it up we will be twice as dangerous in attack this season.
Kelly - 6 - Mostly anonymous. Was calm at least. I don't remember much of him from the first half.
Aluko - I'm done acknowledging him.
Meite - 5 - might sound harsh but he just wasn't effective for most of the game. His energy was good as usual.
Baldock - 7 - Yay! He scored! From open play! Keep it up babes xx. I thought his movement was improved (didn't touch the ball for ages in the first half but hey ho) I hope he continues.

Sims - 6 - Fast becoming a good impact sub. Would rather see him start though...
Bodvarson - 5 - Didn't really get much of a chance to shine really..

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Preston

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 20:33

Good stuff. Interesting that you say Kelly was quiet as he was getting plaudits for his performance. Gunter probably needs dropping but with Blackett and Obita injured and Richards unconvincing I doubt he will be left out of the side.
Bodvarsson was very unlucky not to start today perhaps he will come in for Meite with Barrow in for Aluko against Norwich. Sims deserves a start but think Clement will keep him on the bench.

Totally agree about Sims doing what Aluko would not have done for our winner.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Sep 2018 20:39

Zip Good stuff. Interesting that you say Kelly was quiet as he was getting plaudits for his performance. Gunter probably needs dropping but with Blackett and Obita injured and Richards unconvincing I doubt he will be left out of the side.
Bodvarsson was very unlucky not to start today perhaps he will come in for Meite with Barrow in for Aluko against Norwich. Sims deserves a start but think Clement will keep him on the bench.

Totally agree about Sims doing what Aluko would not have done for our winner.

Yeah I was a bit perplexed by reading all the positive reviews of Kelly. I thought he played like Evans used to (and was heavily criticised for) i.e. quietly mediocre..

He was much improved on his usual over-confident, Hollywood passing, ball watching self. To credit him his run into the box was pretty good. I had forgotten about that.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 15 Sep 2018 20:44

NewCorkSeth Well that was certainly improved. It was incredible to see desire and a willingness to attack from us. I can't believe the heads didn't drop after their equaliser but they didn't!

I know it's awful to critique our team after such an important win but there were a few things that annoyed me.

1. Gunter should have been (and should be for the next game) either dropped or preferably swapped to the left flank. Yiadom is much better. Both goals came down our right hand side. That's not an accident and was certainly deliberate. As soon as Neil saw Aluko and Gunter on the team sheet he most certainly said "run it at them, they're shite".

2. Speaking of Aluko... drop him. You can drop Mannone you can drop Aluko. Yes he got an assist (more credit to Swift for that imo) but he was his usual abysmal self for most of the game. When I watched our 3rd goal I immediately said to myself that if it was Aluko instead of Sims he would have knocked the ball out of play and wasted that move or cut inside and oxf*rd it all up.

3. It worked to a certain extent but the swap of Baldock to left wing to accommodate Bodvarson wasn't worth it for me. Sims was warming up behind Bod and I really thought a switch to 4-4-2 was coming. A double swap of Bod and Sims on for Aluko and Kelly made much more sense to me at the time. (Obviously Kelly played a role in our winning goal so what do I know?)

What seems clear to me is that the majority of the break was spent making sure the team stop dropping their heads. They had much more confidence today. It was nice to see.

The goals against us were still incredibly weak. We need to stop conceding awful, sloppy goals. I'm convinced we would concede less with Aluko out of the team and Yiadom at RB.

Walker - 6 - he did his job for the most part, some good saves and got down well but his distribution was very poor.
Gunter - 5 - ugh. I think I could write a general summary for Gunter and use it every time. His crossing was mostly terrible and he gave his man too much room too often.
Moore - 7 - Good blocks, calm in possession and was unlucky with the rebound for their first goal.
Ilori - 7 - Scored so there's that. His lethargic passing style is nice to watch but will get us in trouble one day. His pass back to Walker in the first half gave me a heart attack.
Yiadom - 7 - He's just brilliant isn't he? Strong, fast, capable, intelligent. He's got everything a fullback needs. Loved his save from that woeful Aluko crossfield pass.
Bacuna - 7 - poor in the first half but really came into it in the second and showed desire. He started the counter for the 3rd and then got up there to finish it. I love that.
Swift - 7 - My MOTM. His passing was excellent throughout as was his positioning (both defensively and attacking) If he keeps it up we will be twice as dangerous in attack this season.
Kelly - 6 - Mostly anonymous. Was calm at least. I don't remember much of him from the first half.
Aluko - I'm done acknowledging him.
Meite - 5 - might sound harsh but he just wasn't effective for most of the game. His energy was good as usual.
Baldock - 7 - Yay! He scored! From open play! Keep it up babes xx. I thought his movement was improved (didn't touch the ball for ages in the first half but hey ho) I hope he continues.

Sims - 6 - Fast becoming a good impact sub. Would rather see him start though...
Bodvarson - 5 - Didn't really get much of a chance to shine really..

Pretty much as I saw it.

I'm a Gunter apologist but he was woeful in every respect today. Swap with Yiadom who is excellent - or put Blackett back in at LB.

Marginally better from Aluko but Sims has to start with the speed and willingness he showed at Villa and today.

Barrow in for Meite, obvs. The Ivorian all all bustle and head-flicks but he's just not very good.

Absolutely comedy Sunday morning footy in 1st half from both teams. Absolutely dreadful game. Much improved second half, with Kelly, Swift and Bacuna showing lots of graft and some skill.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Sep 2018 22:03

2 poor teams and PNE could easily have been 3-1 up at HT. So glad our heads didn't drop after 2nd equaliser though. Think it was a similar performance to recent weeks just with 3 points at the end of it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2018 22:06

Does sound that way. Think statistically that’s about our worst performance comparing shots on target etc this season

Still did what we had to do and a massive 3 points. Another defeat and we’d be looking cut off already. Big week ahead

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 15 Sep 2018 23:35

Cue PNE to sack their manager on Monday. Always happens after a defeat by Reading.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Sep 2018 09:37

Muskrat Cue PNE to sack their manager on Monday. Always happens after a defeat by Reading.

Well wouldn't you - if you cannot even beat our useless bunch .... !? :D

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Sep 2018 13:08

There is an old classic song "What a difference a day made" and this bright Sunday is even brighter after that first win.
I only saw the early goals show on Sky but when Preston hit the woodwork before we scored and their best player and playmaker Pearson was suspended it had to be our day.

Good to see others taking up the mantel of my favourite topic (Gunter) rather than me having to point out yet again that he is, and always has been, a liability.
Very good to read that the real Swift was playing yesterday-what a difference it makes to us when he plays as we know he can.

Presumably also with Ilori scoring and capping another decent performance Clement won't be tempted to drop him for the Irishman again.

Bring on the Norwich and Hull.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Sep 2018 14:07

Now we've got that first win I'm confident that were going to keep winning and winning to the point where we're going to win so much. Everyone will get tired of winning.

We'll all be saying, ‘Please Mr. Clement, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ And Clement is going to say, ‘No, we have to make Reading FC great again. 'You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ and he'll say, ‘Nope, nope. We're going to keep winning.’

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Sep 2018 14:57

I've not been able to go to matches for a while so haven't seen Reading play for a while but just curious if everyone agrees that Aluko is a waste of space or are there those who disagree but keep quiet on here? I just find it strange that everyone is so negative about him yet the manager obviously seems to see something in him to pick him every week ...

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 16 Sep 2018 15:07

Royalwaster I've not been able to go to matches for a while so haven't seen Reading play for a while but just curious if everyone agrees that Aluko is a waste of space or are there those who disagree but keep quiet on here? I just find it strange that everyone is so negative about him yet the manager obviously seems to see something in him to pick him every week ...

Thats because Paul Clement and Co know absolutely nothing about football and the average Hob Nobber knows everything.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Sep 2018 15:15

Royalwaster I've not been able to go to matches for a while so haven't seen Reading play for a while but just curious if everyone agrees that Aluko is a waste of space or are there those who disagree but keep quiet on here? I just find it strange that everyone is so negative about him yet the manager obviously seems to see something in him to pick him every week ...

Aluko has photographs of Clement and Gourley doing something involving cottage cheese, a paddling pool and the Queensly costume in the board room. He plays or he releases them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2018 19:11

To be honest, if a person is capable of stepping outside their personal investment and frustrations, it's not hard to see why Aluko plays. For all that I'd be delighted to never see him in a Reading shirt again and think he's a terrible performer for us who's faults outweigh his positive qualities, he clearly does have qualities a manager will want to back.

He's experienced, skillful and quick. He has the potential to create things from nothing, score goals and terrorise defences. I suspect he's probably good in training, doing what the manager asks of him and working hard. His problems are that he doesn't really have any sort of bigger perspective on the game or positional discipline and he seems incapable of doing the easy and simple thing.

For all his obvious skill, his touch has been really poor for us, often taking two or three touches to get the ball under control. He loves to feel a player getting tight to him and turning them... but he frequently does it in the wrong parts of the pitch. He seems utterly incapable of playing a traditional winger's role and sticking to the side of the pitch, wandering infield all the time and leaving his full back exposed.

But what competition does he have?

Meite, who is a big, quick, raw lump. He's enthusiastic, but inexperienced and doesn't have the best first touch. His main attributes are his physicality and determination.
Sims, again inexperienced. He's small. He's looked good, but we've really only seen cameos and very little in those of how he'd contribute to the team defensively. He's tended to come on when we're chasing a game already.

I can understand why Clement would go with the 'proven' experienced pro over those two. I think he's wrong. But a manager almost always goes with the experienced player they know who is perceived as more reliable and capable of playing much better than they're doing. It's why you get fans talking about favourites whenever something goes badly. It's a manager's job to have favourites. It's right that they put their trust in players... fans are always going to prefer the player who isn't in the team. You see it all the time, we've had it with Popa. He's really done absolutely nothing to get himself into the team that the fans have seen, but because he's not the one playing shit every week, he has to be better according to many. The manager sees him in training though and sees the lackluster performances in the unders, sees how he performs in training.

It's natural that a manager will err on the side of being too conservative with team choices. They're job is on the line. They're going to play safe.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2018 19:14

He was clearly a good player at Fulham
My view is that neither Stam or Clement have found how to use him.
Putting him in the right winger role is a waste of time. He doesn’t play as a winger, gives us no width and provides no cover to his full back.
I th8nk if he played in the 10 role he would be much more effective.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2018 20:07

He could potentially play as a 10 behind Bod, but would have thought McNulty and Baldock are both ahead of him there, Swift as well

Whilst we have an abundance of wingers, none are ever fit. I suspect PC considered starting Sims ahead of him Saturday and think he will consider it again this weeks

Barrow, Popa, Harriott and McCleary have all been injured or else may have got ahead of him. Off the top of my head, the game McCleary broke his ankle Stam had just picked him ahead of Aluko for the first time

He’s basically been very lucky our other wingers are all so injury prone

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2018 22:25

Hound He could potentially play as a 10 behind Bod, but would have thought McNulty and Baldock are both ahead of him there, Swift as well

Whilst we have an abundance of wingers, none are ever fit. I suspect PC considered starting Sims ahead of him Saturday and think he will consider it again this weeks

Barrow, Popa, Harriott and McCleary have all been injured or else may have got ahead of him. Off the top of my head, the game McCleary broke his ankle Stam had just picked him ahead of Aluko for the first time

He’s basically been very lucky our other wingers are all so injury prone

Agree Aluko is best off in some sort of attacking free role, which would most likely be a number 10, but he's far from top of the list of players we have for that position.

106society

by 106society » 16 Sep 2018 22:28

On the up

106society

by 106society » 16 Sep 2018 22:29

On the up

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Sep 2018 23:25

Nameless

He was clearly a good player at Fulham

Not good enough to be considered premiership quality though. We are seeing his shortcomings .