130 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (h) sponsored by Andy Hughes

by Sutekh » 15 Sep 2018 22:29

When : Wednesday 19th September, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Almost a year ago Norwich City rolled into town for a game you could watch live on Sky. Only then Reading were pretty desperate and looked especially desperate at home.

A year later Reading are still especially desperate at home and the game is still on SKY (albeit via their red button). However the one change sees the game being played on a Wednesday instead of a Saturday so there might be the slimmest improvement to the chances of Reading collecting 3 points.

Reading have at least now managed to win a game after a battling performance at Preston and that was probably the best way to get that first win after the start they’ve had. Next up is to break this complete misery of league games played at home which has been hanging around the club since the start of last season and seems to be getting worse with every game played

Norwich will be without Grant Hanley through injury (quadricep) and Ivo Pinto is doubtful with a hamstring problem. Reading’s catalogue of misery might be starting to grow again as Barrow, Mannone and Meyler have all picked up minor injuries and I presume Blackett has gone the same way or be Ill to have missed the Preston bench.

Referee

Tim Robinson is up for this one

Previously

16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

Norwich are one of those sides that used to be reasonably regular opponents until they found the second division in 1960 and since then, apart from 2009/2010, they've been consistently in the top two divisions so the two sides went about 35 years or so with no league meetings.

Therefore this game will be the 36th time the sides have played a league game in Reading. The home league record so far reads 18 Reading wins to 10 for Norwich with 64 scored and 46 conceded

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. That there SKY red button thing

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (h) sponsored by Andy Hughes

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 22:40

I don’t think Barrow is injured. His wife was going into labour so he had to give the Preston game a miss.
Last edited by Zip on 15 Sep 2018 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Sep 2018 22:47

Zip I don’t this Barrow is injured. His wife was going into labour so he had to give the Preston game a miss.

Chronicle has him listed as injured :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Sep 2018 23:20

Sutekh
Zip I don’t this Barrow is injured. His wife was going into labour so he had to give the Preston game a miss.

Chronicle has him listed as injured :lol:

:lol: It seems our local journos were not aware of Mannone and Blackett’s injuries either. Low has tweeted that Barrow had to return home at 2am today as his wife was about to pop a sprog.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 16 Sep 2018 01:07

thanks

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 16 Sep 2018 11:05

My team for Naarige:

Walker
________
Yiadom
Ilori
Moore
Blackett (if fit, if not Gunter)
_________
Bacuna
Kelly
Sims
_________
Swift
________
Barrow (if not breastfeeding)
Baldock

And, when our Iranian international is up to speed, I'd slide him in for Kelly.... assuming he is actually half decent.

Obvs, Aluko and Meite don't get anywhere near the team .... and are probably best left at Hogwood.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2018 19:24

Without enthusiasm, same side. But ready to pull Aluko at a moment's notice for Sims, Barrow or Bodvarsson.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Sep 2018 22:02

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo thanks

This literally, is the best thing about the Team Board.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2018 22:04

leon

Unlike that hotbed of quality posting that is AE

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Sep 2018 22:16

Dick Habbin's hairdo My team for Naarige:

Walker
________
Yiadom
Ilori
Moore
Blackett (if fit, if not Gunter)
_________
Bacuna
Kelly
Sims
_________
Swift
________
Barrow (if not breastfeeding)
Baldock

And, when our Iranian international is up to speed, I'd slide him in for Kelly.... assuming he is actually half decent.

Obvs, Aluko and Meite don't get anywhere near the team .... and are probably best left at Hogwood.

Blackett has a hamstring injury so can’t see him playing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Sep 2018 22:17

Hound
leon

I must have missed those posts then.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Sep 2018 22:25

Hound
leon

A) it always makes me laugh. It’s quality.

B) AE is literally the best thing in the world. Well sort of.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Sep 2018 08:13

Yet again we are cruelly denied the refereeing expertise of senior referee David Coote. The Football League need to pull their fingers out.

I want Gunter gone from the starting line up, he has no business being near it after Saturday. Other than that keep the same side.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Sep 2018 08:55

Gunter will stay in I expect. All I want from him is 6/10 performances until Obita is back, shouldn't really be too much to ask

Aluko will prob stay in unfortunately, though Sims' case is getting louder by the week.

Its a tough one, didnt especially like the team we put out, but obvs you don't massively tinker with a winning team. Ideally I'd see the same back 5, then go Barrow (if 100% fit), Swift, Bacuna, Sims across the middle, and Bod and Baldock up front. But can see that would be a bit harsh on Kelly and Meite

Dunno too much about Norwich tbh, but would consider keeping Meite on the left if we needed the extra physicality
Last edited by Hound on 17 Sep 2018 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Sep 2018 08:57

Hound Gunter will stay in I expect. All I want from him is 6/10 performances until Obita is back, shouldn't really be too much to ask

Aluko will prob stay in unfortunately, though Sims' case is getting louder by the week.

Its a tough one, didnt especially like the team we put out, but obvs you don't massively tinker with a winning team. Ideally I'd see the same back 5, then go Barrow, Swift, Bacuna, Sims across the middle, and Bod and Baldock up front. But can see that would be a bit harsh on Kelly and Meite

Saturday was arguably a 3/10 from Gunter though, errors all over the show. You're right about Sims, he should be in for Aluko for sure. He made a real difference on Saturday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Sep 2018 08:59

yeah didnt watch but sounds like he was dire. If Blackett was fit, I'd play him, but think he has a hammy

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Sep 2018 09:28

Old Man Andrews
Hound Gunter will stay in I expect. All I want from him is 6/10 performances until Obita is back, shouldn't really be too much to ask

Its a tough one, didnt especially like the team we put out, but obvs you don't massively tinker with a winning team. Ideally I'd see the same back 5, then go Barrow, Swift, Bacuna, Sims across the middle, and Bod and Baldock up front. But can see that would be a bit harsh on Kelly and Meite

Saturday was arguably a 3/10 from Gunter though, errors all over the show. You're right about Sims, he should be in for Aluko for sure. He made a real difference on Saturday.

Really do not get a right side comprising Aluko and Gunter. Defensively that's just non existent at best.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Sep 2018 09:33

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

Really do not get a right side comprising Aluko and Gunter. Defensively that's just non existent at best.

I get the feeling that with Sims you have someone who will be prepared to do the dirty work and track runners. He has to be in the starting line up Wednesday for me.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Sep 2018 16:28

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

Clement cant go with that Shirley!!!!!....If he does and we lose he is gonna get slaughtered as are those two players. We have to try and get back on track after that win on Saturday.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 17 Sep 2018 16:40

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

Maybe Fredericks made Aluko look good whilst he was at Fulham? He certainly did not look like the player we have now.
Couldn't we adopt a similar playing style on the right with Yiadom as the RB.

130 posts