Next Reading Manager

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by sandman » 03 Oct 2018 21:28

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7379/Stages/16389/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2018-2019

Is our problem the number of shots or is it not being clinical enough outside of Bodvarsson?

It's interesting that it was Ascotexgunner, well known Graham Harry Potter enthusiast, who raised the shots issue. He's got them sixth in the table that matters so you can't knock him too much but would his style of play have us in that position? We've tried it with Adkins, Stam and to lesser extent Clarke and it's failed miserably, so going on past evidence you'd have to say it's a no.

That other HNA? managerial favourite and Reading legend, Phil Parkinson isn't exactly getting his players firing away at will. Again higher than us, and beat us so can't knock him too much.

Just found it interesting.

*Edit

On XG we would be 16th, Swansea would be 19th and Bolton would be bottom.

https://www.infogol.net/leagues/english-football-league-championship-table-2018-19/89

Perhaps our problems are defensive.
Last edited by sandman on 03 Oct 2018 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2018 21:38

sandman It's interesting that it was Ascotexgunner, well known Graham Harry Potter enthusiast, who raised the shots issue. He's got them sixth in the table that matters so you can't knock him too much but would his style of play have us in that position? We've tried it with Adkins, Stam and to lesser extent Clarke and it's failed miserably, so going on past evidence you'd have to say it's a no.

You say it's failed miserably, but Stam got us within a penalty of the PL and Adkins got us to 7th. We looked like we were going to go up automatically when Clarke got us playing a progressive style, and that only fell away when three players got injured and he tried to jump ship.

Contrastingly, when we sacked Adkins and Stam and replaced them with the more negative approaches of Clarke (in that first half season) and Clement, we saw no upturn in results or performances. Although by the same token, McDermott's more possession-based style didn't improve results on Clarke's last month either.

Possession football has been the Reading way for the last decade (except occasionally in the first team) and it's a style that all our players are familiar with. It also gets better results and more entertaining football. The evidence suggests that there's nothing magic about Reading that means that our players can't play possession-based football - if anything, we tend to do better in that style.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Oct 2018 21:41

SCIAG
sandman It's interesting that it was Ascotexgunner, well known Graham Harry Potter enthusiast, who raised the shots issue. He's got them sixth in the table that matters so you can't knock him too much but would his style of play have us in that position? We've tried it with Adkins, Stam and to lesser extent Clarke and it's failed miserably, so going on past evidence you'd have to say it's a no.

You say it's failed miserably, but Stam got us within a penalty of the PL and Adkins got us to 7th. We looked like we were going to go up automatically when Clarke got us playing a progressive style, and that only fell away when three players got injured and he tried to jump ship.

Contrastingly, when we sacked Adkins and Stam and replaced them with the more negative approaches of Clarke (in that first half season) and Clement, we saw no upturn in results or performances. Although by the same token, McDermott's more possession-based style didn't improve results on Clarke's last month either.

Possession football has been the Reading way for the last decade (except occasionally in the first team) and it's a style that all our players are familiar with. It also gets better results and more entertaining football. The evidence suggests that there's nothing magic about Reading that means that our players can't play possession-based football - if anything, we tend to do better in that style.

You say it's more entertaining but what about those seasons entertained you?

The one kick from the Premier League season we stumbled our way to the most boring play off final ever in a season where every measurable piece of evidence said we should have been fighting relegation, that fortune ran out in his second season.

The Adkins season we failed to make the play offs with a squad where play offs were the minimum we should have been aiming for.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 03 Oct 2018 22:40

Steve Bruce is old school. No interest in the sports science side of things etc.

Mick McCarthy is reknowned for getting the best out of very average squads and working with no money, (surely the situation he would inherit if he came to RFC). However, his football "style" is not for the purists.

The problem is Gourlay and his empire building. Clement is Gourlay's yes-man / fall guy, nothing more. Same with the removal of Tevreden, (who TBF I had no time for anyway). Not towing the Gourlay line so out. Now we have absolute shite signing long-term contracts so they are ingratiated to Gourlay.

This is clearly a stitch up. Until Gourlay goes you could appoint Pep Guardiola and we would still be utter shite. Frankly if he is so set on running the club from top to bottom, why doesn't he just assume the manager's role? He's clearly sending instruction to his patsie about who to pick, just cut out the middle man Gourlay - or are you too scared to be publicly responsible for this shambles?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 03 Oct 2018 23:42

Hahaha

The same Gourlay and owners that only sacked Stam after 1 win in 19 games.

You lot really are wasting your time debating this :lol:

Everything RFC related has gone oxf*rd bonkers

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Oct 2018 23:49

sandman https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7379/Stages/16389/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2018-2019

Is our problem the number of shots or is it not being clinical enough outside of Bodvarsson?

It's interesting that it was Ascotexgunner, well known Graham Harry Potter enthusiast, who raised the shots issue. He's got them sixth in the table that matters so you can't knock him too much but would his style of play have us in that position? We've tried it with Adkins, Stam and to lesser extent Clarke and it's failed miserably, so going on past evidence you'd have to say it's a no.

That other HNA? managerial favourite and Reading legend, Phil Parkinson isn't exactly getting his players firing away at will. Again higher than us, and beat us so can't knock him too much.

Just found it interesting.

*Edit

On XG we would be 16th, Swansea would be 19th and Bolton would be bottom.

https://www.infogol.net/leagues/english-football-league-championship-table-2018-19/89

Perhaps our problems are defensive.

Our problems are squarely in midfield. It has provided little or no cover to defence hence we concede goals (often down the right - wonder why?!!) but strangely possesses little creativity. So we have to rely on maximising what chances we create.

Kermogants strike accuracy in the playoff season bore testament to that. Bods this year is our only redemption thus far. Which makes it more baffling that it took 8? games for Clement to work it out.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 04 Oct 2018 00:50

The fact that Clement picked Aluko overs Sims, has to question his managerial ability. We have had four seasons of dire football including the play off season. I would be more than happy with some Mick McCarthy football. He keeps it simple well organised just look at Ipswich since he left.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Oct 2018 01:54

sandman The Adkins season we failed to make the play offs with a squad where play offs were the minimum we should have been aiming for.

That was a weird season. It’s almost forgotten. In hindsight just missing out on the playoffs would otherwise represent a good season, but as you say, even discounting the final day drama, it was a dissapointing outcome. Despite winning a lot and some good results (7-1 etc) the overwhelming game to game feeling was that of underperforming and frustration.

That feeling has continued but the results have dried up. That for me was the first season in recent history where I’ve really felt expectation of success, and ultimately falling so far behind that.

Under McD v1 we didn’t have expectation, we had hope and confidence that a team would give their all and if that wasn’t enough so be it. Annoying but we were often underdogs-ish. 13/14. We’ve now supposedly “got money”, just down from the prem, full of supposedly decent players. Failed. Adkins gone next season.

Season after. Supposedly have money, supposedly decent squad, big name signings (John, Vydra, Piazon) started well, decent expectation, failed.

Next season. Supposedly have even more money now. Still. Little expectation, surprised and did well despite generally poor performances.

Season after, now we, rightly had expectation, did absolutely appallingly. Should have been relegated. Failed.

Now we’re here. Fair to say most had little expectations but harboured some realistic hopes of improvement, if only subtle.

The common theme is the type of performances that weve seen since relegation in 12/13. It just hasn’t felt like the Reading we all know and fell in love with, and to a certain extent, it’s because it’s not.

The only positive about now is that I think it’s making us all acutely aware of just how lucky we were following the club the way it was for as long as it was. I feel guilty for being happy when I saw the news initially a Russian “mega wealthy” (lol) was going to take us over. I thought at the time yes! We’re not little old Reading anymore, we’ve made it, now we have the financial ability to really push on.

Fcuk me. What a joke.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2018 08:54

CountryRoyal
sandman The Adkins season we failed to make the play offs with a squad where play offs were the minimum we should have been aiming for.

That was a weird season. It’s almost forgotten. In hindsight just missing out on the playoffs would otherwise represent a good season, but as you say, even discounting the final day drama, it was a dissapointing outcome. Despite winning a lot and some good results (7-1 etc) the overwhelming game to game feeling was that of underperforming and frustration.

That feeling has continued but the results have dried up. That for me was the first season in recent history where I’ve really felt expectation of success, and ultimately falling so far behind that.

Under McD v1 we didn’t have expectation, we had hope and confidence that a team would give their all and if that wasn’t enough so be it. Annoying but we were often underdogs-ish. 13/14. We’ve now supposedly “got money”, just down from the prem, full of supposedly decent players. Failed. Adkins gone next season.

Season after. Supposedly have money, supposedly decent squad, big name signings (John, Vydra, Piazon) started well, decent expectation, failed.

Next season. Supposedly have even more money now. Still. Little expectation, surprised and did well despite generally poor performances.

Season after, now we, rightly had expectation, did absolutely appallingly. Should have been relegated. Failed.

Now we’re here. Fair to say most had little expectations but harboured some realistic hopes of improvement, if only subtle.

The common theme is the type of performances that weve seen since relegation in 12/13. It just hasn’t felt like the Reading we all know and fell in love with, and to a certain extent, it’s because it’s not.

The only positive about now is that I think it’s making us all acutely aware of just how lucky we were following the club the way it was for as long as it was. I feel guilty for being happy when I saw the news initially a Russian “mega wealthy” (lol) was going to take us over. I thought at the time yes! We’re not little old Reading anymore, we’ve made it, now we have the financial ability to really push on.

Fcuk me. What a joke.

Nice sig.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2018 09:03

Snowflake Royal Manager is least of our problems.

If we did get a new manager they should be experienced. But we don't sign experienced managers. I'd take McCarthy with a sigh.

But I don't want a new manager. I want Clement to get two full seasons, just to make a oxf*rd change if nothing else.

yeah agree. I do like Clement and want him to do well.

He frustrates me though - its 3 or 4 times he has picked the wrong players, and then waits to long in the game to fix it. He acknowledges the fact, but he really needs to be more decisive and stop making the same errors. I'm sure he knows what the best 11 is, and who the subs should be, and he just stick with it.

He just seems to be learning on the job a little more than I would expect. Getting lumped with a 30 man squad really hasn't helped his cause mind you

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 09:06

Hound
Snowflake Royal Manager is least of our problems.

If we did get a new manager they should be experienced. But we don't sign experienced managers. I'd take McCarthy with a sigh.

But I don't want a new manager. I want Clement to get two full seasons, just to make a oxf*rd change if nothing else.

yeah agree. I do like Clement and want him to do well.

He frustrates me though - its 3 or 4 times he has picked the wrong players, and then waits to long in the game to fix it. He acknowledges the fact, but he really needs to be more decisive and stop making the same errors. I'm sure he knows what the best 11 is, and who the subs should be, and he just stick with it.

He just seems to be learning on the job a little more than I would expect. Getting lumped with a 30 man squad really hasn't helped his cause mind you

Does Paul Clement have full say over team selection???? Would love to know how involved Nani is in that process.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2018 09:24

leon
CountryRoyal

Fcuk me. What a joke.

Nice sig.

Maybe, but this is a nicer sig

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 09:30

A better Sig....

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 04 Oct 2018 13:41

I would be quite happy with Mick McCarthy, looks like he done a good job with Ipswich on limited resources and knows the league. As long as any new manager comes in and doesn't talk about getting to the Premiership. Even the new signings talk about getting to the Premiership.............lets just try and win a game at home first.

My concern with getting a new manager is that they has to re-asses the squad again and this will mean players like Aluko getting starts again. I am still annoyed that after the Norwich game Clement learned Gunter and Aluko do not work on the right hand side and then he addresses that issue against Hull and then puts them back in against QPR.

Either way once we are relegated it will be allow for a big squad clear out that is desperately needed for our football club no matter who is in charge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2018 18:24

Old Man Andrews A better Sig....

You've simple have to go for that. GET. OUT. :arrow: