521 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Nations League & Friendlies

by Stranded » 15 Oct 2018 14:14

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews Italy getting a last second winner away at Poland. Italy look like they are on their way back, Mancini getting their shit in order.

On their way back? A last minute win over Poland on the back of a 1-1 draw with Ukraine.

Not sure I'd see that a great progression, it certainly wouldn't be sold that way if it were England, regardless of the performances.

Beating Poland away is no mean feat. Of course they are far from world beater, not claiming that but they are certainly better than they were a year ago. Holland are probably making the bigger strides thus far from what I have seen. Their decent young talent are gaining confidence game by game.

It is a lot easier than it was even 6 months ago, Poland on a major dip and have lost both home games in the Nations League. They are also the first team relegated in the competition. Italy haven't improved as yet but not getting any worse, which is a start.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 15 Oct 2018 14:26

Kulshaw72RFC
tulip I don't understand this tournament at all but the Dutch beat the Germans resoundingly yesterday so it's great, I guess?

I think so, but unsure how seriously teams take it.

Gibraltar won their first competitive game yesterday which is nice.

I think there's a massive range in how serious teams are taking it, however, the lower down the ladder, it does seem that its throwing up competitive matches between countries.

So, yeah, probably worthwhile for that.

I think it'll take two or three iterations to settle down, but the final stages (2 SF + final in a host country) has some potential.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Oct 2018 14:42

stealthpapes
Kulshaw72RFC
tulip I don't understand this tournament at all but the Dutch beat the Germans resoundingly yesterday so it's great, I guess?

I think there's a massive range in how serious teams are taking it, however, the lower down the ladder, it does seem that its throwing up competitive matches between countries.

I think it'll take two or three iterations to settle down, but the final stages (2 SF + final in a host country) has some potential.

I like it - the only tweak I would make is that it feels like there is too much relegation/promotion. 4 teams relegated/promoted between A and B feels too many. Perhaps a relegation play-off may be better and have a 2 up/2 down.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 15 Oct 2018 15:19

Stranded
stealthpapes
Kulshaw72RFC

I like it - the only tweak I would make is that it feels like there is too much relegation/promotion. 4 teams relegated/promoted between A and B feels too many. Perhaps a relegation play-off may be better and have a 2 up/2 down.

Please explain this as I don't get this relegation/promotion thing. Is there a knock out stage? :? :? :?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Oct 2018 15:26

tulip
Stranded
stealthpapes

Please explain this as I don't get this relegation/promotion thing. Is there a knock out stage? :? :? :?

In short:

There are four divisions A, B, C and D. Countries initially split into the leagues based on UEFA rankings.

Each division has 4 groups within it (1,2,3,4) - England are in A4, Netherlands A1.

Each team plays home and away against countries in their group - 4 games in League A & B, 6 in C and D due to larger groups.

At the end of the league stage, the winners of the League A groups go on to the play-offs, to be played next summer to get an overall champion.

Bottom team in each group is relegated to the League below. Winners of the groups in Leagues B, C and D are promoted.

The complicated bit is that the Nations League doubles up as a repecharge tournament for teams who don't qualify for the Euros (replacing current play-off) - 1 spot is available to each league, so means a smaller nation will qualify for Euro 2020. If the league finished today, one of Georgia, Macedonia, Belarus or Kosovo would qualify.

It really is boosting the smaller nations - in League D, a lot of the usual whipping boys are playing each other. Only San Marino have failed to pick up a point (or a goal) so far.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 15 Oct 2018 15:57

4 up/4 down from 12 teams is a lot of shuffling.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Oct 2018 15:58

Luxembourg have really picked up their national team in the last few years. I remember them beating N.I years ago and everybody was shocked. Now their best team lost 1-0 to AC Milan in Europa League and the national team win alot.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Oct 2018 17:41

Stranded [b]The complicated bit is that the Nations League doubles up as a repecharge tournament for teams who don't qualify for the Euros (replacing current play-off) - 1 spot is available to each league, so means a smaller nation will qualify for Euro 2020. If the league finished today, one of Georgia, Macedonia, Belarus or Kosovo would qualify.

I thought the repechage bit was only for the winners of "Divisions" C and D

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 15 Oct 2018 18:22

Sutekh
Stranded [b]The complicated bit is that the Nations League doubles up as a repecharge tournament for teams who don't qualify for the Euros (replacing current play-off) - 1 spot is available to each league, so means a smaller nation will qualify for Euro 2020. If the league finished today, one of Georgia, Macedonia, Belarus or Kosovo would qualify.

Nope, one each from A, B, C and D*.

*except if, say, all the teams in A qualify. It gets very confusing then.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Oct 2018 19:04

stealthpapes
Sutekh

Nope, one each from A, B, C and D*.

*except if, say, all the teams in A qualify. It gets very confusing then.

Yep. Say all 12 from A qualify and 8 from B then:

The remaining 4 B sides play-off for the A league spot. The 4 C league winners play-off for the B spot. Next 4 play for the C spot. D winners play off for that.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Oct 2018 19:17

I'm all for it.

I would like to see a European club competition like this. Scrap CL and EL and merge them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Oct 2018 09:39

I like it. Two qualifying tournaments for the same set of finals being held at the same time. Only the football authorities could come up with something so mental to make qualification for a tournament finals so over-complicated and confusing (talking the Euros 202 qualification set up and process as a whole).

The draw for the qualifiers is due in Dublin in December with the teams seeded based on the November 2018–19 UEFA Nations League overall ranking with all sorts of "pot" dynamics going on to as to maximise opportunities for some and avoidance of teams playing each other and not having to play in certain regions at some parts of the year. Apparently some computer involvement in the draw as well so that could open up a whole new "Carabao Cup" scenario

Funny that for 2024 they've already decided to go back to a single host country.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Oct 2018 11:48

Sutekh I like it. Two qualifying tournaments for the same set of finals being held at the same time. Only the football authorities could come up with something so mental to make qualification for a tournament finals so over-complicated and confusing (talking the Euros 202 qualification set up and process as a whole).

The draw for the qualifiers is due in Dublin in December with the teams seeded based on the November 2018–19 UEFA Nations League overall ranking with all sorts of "pot" dynamics going on to as to maximise opportunities for some and avoidance of teams playing each other and not having to play in certain regions at some parts of the year. Apparently some computer involvement in the draw as well so that could open up a whole new "Carabao Cup" scenario

Funny that for 2024 they've already decided to go back to a single host country.

It was always going to be a one off celebratory event to mark the 60th birthday of the competition.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 16 Oct 2018 13:33

Stranded
stealthpapes
Kulshaw72RFC

Saw on f365 the suggestion of promotion relegation through a playoff - i.e. bottom 4 A teams each against one of the top 4 B teams, two legged. That might work.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Oct 2018 14:04

stealthpapes
Stranded
stealthpapes

Saw on f365 the suggestion of promotion relegation through a playoff - i.e. bottom 4 A teams each against one of the top 4 B teams, two legged. That might work.

Yeah, I saw that and definitely could work though think there does need to be some form of guaranteed promotion/relegation.

How about:

Bottom 4 clubs enter a play-off amongst themselves - 2 losers are relegated.
League B title play-off - Top 4 enter the play-offs. Winners of semi finals promoted, final played to determine League B Winner.

Same can happen B/C & C/D

Finals can take place around the same time as the League A semi-final / finals.

If the Finals take place on the same day (possibly in the same country/city) you could stagger them across the day

League D Final 12:00
League C Final 14:30
League B Final 17:30
League A Final 20:45

All times CET.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Oct 2018 21:14

Wowwwww....Harry Wilson.

Cmon finish this......Horrible team Ireland.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Oct 2018 21:18

Irish are utter dinosaurs. any sign of a threat and they put the player in row z.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Oct 2018 21:40

Oh crap.....he's bought Gunter on.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Oct 2018 22:11

Giggs got his team selection spot on tonight. That’s a very encouraging performance considering no Bale, no Ramsey, no Ampadu and no Mepham. We really should have won by three but it’s game on v Denmark next month. Got our tickets and really looking forward to it.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 17 Oct 2018 07:34

Wow. Harry Wilson take ANOTHER bow son. What a player. I think Wales are about to enter a golden era soon.

And in other news.... Gibraltar win for the 2nd ever time in 4 days. Could this be the start of their path into the euros ? :lol:

521 posts