BFTG Millwall Home

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG Millwall Home

by PieEater » 20 Oct 2018 18:53

Well that was a nice 3 pts, we rode our luck and somehow came away with a win. It was pretty even before Meite scored, a nice move, cross and header into the corner. Before that it looked like they'd take one of the many chances that fell their way. After the goal we just sat back and let them play, they had chances but the goal from a corner landed on his toe to whack in - it was coming.

Somehow we got a second from a dodgy penalty, it's one of those you'd complain if given against but we'll take what little luck we've had this year where we can. After that it was backs to the wall defending, and a couple of great saves from Jaakkola kept us in it. The third killed it, hats off to Meite who previously had showed potential but not delivered, finally he did.

Good game from Blackett (yes!) Swift and Jaakkola and of course Meite.

If I was a Millwall fan I'd be miffed at the score line given their chances and how much they dominated.

Schmeichel the dog

Re: BFTG Millwall Home

by Schmeichel the dog » 20 Oct 2018 19:07

Score flattered us certainly. Jaakkola had a blinder, we got a VERY luck penalty (superbly put away by Baldock) and Meite had his best game in a Reading shirt. Even the subs worked. But we rode our luck. Could have been a different score on a different day against a different team. That said, we gave 100%, got the result and move on. Hopefully with a few more wins the attendances will begin to improve too. It was like a morgue at times today....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2018 19:16

How did McCleary look?

SS highlights make the penalty look 100% nailed on. Rubbish challenge. Did it look different from another angle?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 20 Oct 2018 19:18

I cant believe that we won that. Millwall were mugged :lol: .

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Oct 2018 19:23

That was a very long second half. Real backs to the wall stuff in the second half as Millwall dominated. Still a win is win. Let’s hope this is the start of something better

Jaakkola. 8 A revelation. Kept us in the game in the first half
Yiadom 6 Always looked to get forward
Moore 6 Struggled in the aerial battle in the first half and not tight to his player on occasions but better in the second half
Ilori 6 A bit sloppy at times and as with Moore struggled with Millwall’s aerial bombardment
Blackett 7. A crucial outlet and a cracking cross for Meite’s goal and won the pen
Bacuna 6 Didn’t really notice him that much. Did ok
Kelly 7 Struggled to impose himself in the first half but worked his heart out after the break
Swift 5 Really struggled to track back in the first half and looked laboured at times
Baldock 7 He is a clever, subtle player. He hobbled off which is a concern
McCleary 5 Reasonable in the first half but faded
Meite 8 I didn’t think he was good enough but his first goal was superb. Held the ball up well too. He did really well today

Gunter 6 Solid when he came on and we looked less wobbly
Rinomhota 6 Shaky to start with but improved
McNulty N/A Not on long enough

Good to hear the East Stand chants today. Millwall lot were lively. I liked GMac and Jaakkola giving gloves and a ball to kids in the ED at the end.
We don’t win many these days. A shame Radio Berkshire spent so much time focusing on the horse racing today.
Last edited by Zip on 20 Oct 2018 19:27, edited 2 times in total.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Milwall

by Westwood52 » 20 Oct 2018 19:24

Not quite daylight robbery; but Jakkola kept us in the game;when for long periods we were under the cosh. Albeit Milwall had one tactic, launching the ball into our box every opportunity. And boy did it cause a panic.

IMHO:

Jakkola 8: MOM. Didn't know he had it in him; half a dozen top class saves.Their goal was a bit soft and a few wayward kicks; although TBF that might be down to Meite.Nevertheless deserves to keep the shirt.Inspired.

Yiadom 6: Bit of a mixed bag really in his best position;not the attacking threat one would have hoped for and caught out defensively a few times.

Blackett 7: Pretty solid and a peach of a cross for 1st goal. Stood up to the battering.

Ilori 6 : Put under extreme pressure in the air, and at times didn't look up to it. But he did keep going in difficult moments.

Moore 6: Not at his best. Gibbs has to get them organised better than that.

Bacuna 6: Not his best position at the base-but very disciplined.

Swift 4: After the wonderful hour against Brom; at times he was non existant today and too easily lost the battle.After 2 weeks off what is the problem ?

Kelly 2: One shot and one pass in 70 odd minutes simply isn't good enough. Exactly what qualities does he bring ?

Macca 6 : After so long out;did alright. Hopefully he is now fully fit and can bomb on .

Meite 7: I had to look twice to check who scored the 1st goal as it called for high technical ability. His 2nd , my Aunt Sally would have scored-virtual open goal.

Baldock 6: Hats off for a well taken penalty; but like Macca really, hardly in the game.

Gunter: Did very little really.

McNulty: Ditto

Riamoto: Looked a bit lost at times.

Ref: Usual rubbish.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 20 Oct 2018 19:25

Hound How did McCleary look?

SS highlights make the penalty look 100% nailed on. Rubbish challenge. Did it look different from another angle?

Did 70 odds mins (or thereabouts). For someone who has been out since Feb(?) and not even been on the bench as part of his return he looked pretty fit & sharp to me.

MOTM has to be Jaakkola - some great saves that kept us in it, he even stopped one with his elbow!

Penalty didnt look like it from the ED stand (or at least very soft), but looking at the replay its looks more nailed on.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 20 Oct 2018 19:29

Zip That was a very long second half. Real backs to the wall stuff in the second half as Millwall dominated. Still a win is win. Let’s hope this is the start of something better

Moore 6 Struggled in the aerial battle in the first half and not tight to his player on occasions but better in the second half
Ilori 6 A bit sloppy at times and as with Moore struggled with Millwall’s aerial bombardment
Blackett 7. A crucial outlet and a cracking cross for Meite’s goal and won the pen
Kelly 7 Struggled to impose himself in the first half but worked his heart out after the break
Swift 5 Really struggled to track back in the first half and looked laboured at times
Meite 8 I didn’t think he was good enough but his first goal was superb. Held the ball up well too. He did really well today

Good to hear the East Stand chants today. Millwall lot were lively. I liked GMac and Jaakkola giving gloves and a ball to kids in the ED at the end.
We don’t win many these days. A shame Radio Berkshire spent so much time focusing on the horse racing today.

Think 5 is a bit harsh for GMac & Swift, but each to their own.

Thought Blackett had his best game in a long time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Oct 2018 19:38

RG7Fan
Zip That was a very long second half. Real backs to the wall stuff in the second half as Millwall dominated. Still a win is win. Let’s hope this is the start of something better

No worries mate. Just my view. I like Swift but he really seems to struggle to run at pace. In the first half he didn’t track back leaving their player free to run into our box. He just about tracked back to put in a tackle a few minutes later. He doesn’t look fit to me.
GMac looked in decent shape. He bulked up last season and lost his pace. The return of the GMac from two years ago would be good news.
Agreed on Blackett. He did well.
Last edited by Zip on 20 Oct 2018 19:42, edited 2 times in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Oct 2018 19:39

tee peg I cant believe that we won that. Millwall were mugged :lol: .

Check the papers in the morning. sod em. who cares ?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Oct 2018 19:41

RG7Fan
Hound How did McCleary look?

Did 70 odds mins (or thereabouts). For someone who has been out since Feb(?) and not even been on the bench as part of his return he looked pretty fit & sharp to me.

MOTM has to be Jaakkola - some great saves that kept us in it, he even stopped one with his elbow!

Penalty didnt look like it from the ED stand (or at least very soft), but looking at the replay its looks more nailed on.

I was also in the ED and didn’t think it was a pen. Not seen a replay but son has and says it was a pen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2018 19:41

PC confirmed that Barrow was dropped, not injured. Only a matter of time to Aluko next surely?

I’m a fan of McCleary’s. he has a football brain the other wingers don’t seem to have, a bit more physique and an ability to defend. Would be delighted if he still has the form of 18 months ago in him still

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Oct 2018 19:43

Hound PC confirmed that Barrow was dropped, not injured. Only a matter of time to Aluko next surely?

I’m a fan of McCleary’s. he has a football brain the other wingers don’t seem to have, a bit more physique and an ability to defend. Would be delighted if he still has the form of 18 months ago in him still

I don’t think Clement is a fan of Barrow. He sold him at Swansea. How Aluko can be in the squad ahead of Barrow defies belief. Barrow’s form has fallen away since Clement took over.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2018 19:45

They weren’t mugged, we got ahead and the whole team defended for their lives to earn a well deserved 3pts.

The margins between the best and worst in this division are very fine and today we did the basic well and took a fair percentage of chances that came our way while Millwall didn’t.

They put in a lot of effort while missing too many chances and conceding three.

Our No3 keeper put in a man of the match performance and is surely now our No1!

Meanwhile, no one was having a bad game and Meite his best for us so far.

I would give Blackett a special mention. For a player who has taken so much stick he was excellent today defending and going forward.

He made the cross for the first goal and, unless I’m mistaken, won the penalty for the second. How many light years would it take for Gunter to win a pen :D

I was delighted not to see Aluko start or come off the bench but how he got that spot ahead of Barrow beggars belief.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 20 Oct 2018 19:52

Zip
RG7Fan

No worries mate. Just my view. I like Swift but he really seems to struggle to run at pace. In the first half he didn’t track back leaving their player free to run into our box. He just about tracked back to put in a tackle a few minutes later. He doesn’t look fit to me.
GMac looked in decent shape. He bulked up last season and lost his pace. The return of the GMac from two years ago would be good news.
Agreed on Blackett. He did well.

Ah yeah Swift by name. but not by nature!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2018 19:52

Zip
Hound PC confirmed that Barrow was dropped, not injured. Only a matter of time to Aluko next surely?

I don’t think Clement is a fan of Barrow. He sold him at Swansea. How Aluko can be in the squad ahead of Barrow defies belief. Barrow’s form has fallen away since Clement took over.

Also suprised Barrow dropped altogether

If Bod and maybe O Shea are back for Tuesday, it starts to become very difficult for Aluko to get a look in surely. Would like to see Blackett get a run now at LB

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 Oct 2018 20:00

I’ve been saying for ages that Barrow is part of the problem. He’s wasteful going forward and poor defensively. Compare him to McCleary who’s positional sense is so much better. Barrow will be gone in January if Clement is still manager.

We look much better having some “decent professionals” in the team like Baldock and Bodvarsson who give 100% every game. Even Bacuna is starting to look more disciplined and less of a big time Charlie. While Swift and Kelly might not always come off I believe they are really committed. Great to see Blackett getting some plaudits today as well. I think the fans have been overly harsh on him in the past but he’s clearly talented and showed today he’s happy to have a scrap and a battle when needed (plus he has a sweet left foot Anderson the s3cond goal he’s created this season from a great cross).

I’m glad I don’t have to watch Millwall play every week. I thought they played some decent football for 15-20 minutes and deserved to be in front at that point. But then they stopped playing and resorted to route one hoof ball which made Jake Cooper their main attacking threat. Did they even string two passes together in the second half?

Yes we had a bit of luck today (and about time) but we didn’t get much out of the ref either all day (except the penalty) which looked a bit soft in real time. Onwards to St Andrews on Tuesday.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Oct 2018 20:04

Definitely rode our luck there, if some of Millwall's chances had gone in, we'd be absolutely slating the defence here. So I'm sure my marks are coloured by the result rather than the peformance.

Jaakkola. 8 Really really good shot-stopping. distribution was a bit rubbish, how many times did he kick it out of play in the second half? But he kept us in the game
Yiadom 6 Bit so-so on what is meant to be his better side. One decent cross that I remember, couple of good interchanges with McCleary. Defensively suspect. Partnership with McCleary could work well in the future.
Moore 6 Struggled against the aerial bombardment, didn't help himself with his positioning, and a couple of times ruined the offside line by being two feet behind everybody else. Surprising, since he's the one who should be organising it? Improved in the second half.
Ilori 6 Sloppy and casual at times but got away with it. Like Moore, struggled a bit with all the long balls being fired in.
Blackett 7. Defensively, positioning was not great. But always made himself available for the out ball. Excellent cross for the first, penalty might have been a bit soft, but he was there to win it.
Bacuna 5 Can't remember noticing him much. Is that good or bad?
Kelly 5 Worked hard, but really only one or two good passes, mostly defensive moving round of the ball, rather than doing anything creative. Tired quite quickly in the second half, was a bit relieved he got taken off.
Swift 5 Tried to create a bit more than Kelly, which generally didn't come off. Looked unfit. Again. Not sure what is up with him to be honest.
Baldock 7 Good movement, worked hard, tracked back. Excellently taken penalty
McCleary 6 Decent partnership with Yiadom in the first half but faded in the second. Not that surprising really. A few million miles better than Aluko.
Meite 9 Perfect response to the doubters and critics of his extended contract (me included) - hope he keeps it up. Not just the goals, but some really good hold up play.

Gunter 6 Did what was needed when he came on.
Rinomhota 5 A bit "trying too hard" at first, but settled down
McNulty Too short to rate.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 20 Oct 2018 20:05

3points I’ve been saying for ages that Barrow is part of the problem. He’s wasteful going forward and poor defensively. Compare him to McCleary who’s positional sense is so much better. Barrow will be gone in January if Clement is still manager.

We look much better having some “decent professionals” in the team like Baldock and Bodvarsson who give 100% every game. Even Bacuna is starting to look more disciplined and less of a big time Charlie. While Swift and Kelly might not always come off I believe they are really committed. Great to see Blackett getting some plaudits today as well. I think the fans have been overly harsh on him in the past but he’s clearly talented and showed today he’s happy to have a scrap and a battle when needed (plus he has a sweet left foot Anderson the s3cond goal he’s created this season from a great cross).

I’m glad I don’t have to watch Millwall play every week. I thought they played some decent football for 15-20 minutes and deserved to be in front at that point. But then they stopped playing and resorted to route one hoof ball which made Jake Cooper their main attacking threat. Did they even string two passes together in the second half?

Yes we had a bit of luck today (and about time) but we didn’t get much out of the ref either all day (except the penalty) which looked a bit soft in real time. Onwards to St Andrews on Tuesday.

Now - I sit next to this chap (and have done for 6 years), but due to the music being so sodding loud (I guess I'm an old git now) we never get to discuss these things in detail. Cant really disagree with anything said above.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Oct 2018 20:25

3points I’ve been saying for ages that Barrow is part of the problem. He’s wasteful going forward and poor defensively. Compare him to McCleary who’s positional sense is so much better. .

3points . Great to see Blackett getting some plaudits today as well. I think the fans have been overly harsh on him in the past but he’s clearly talented and showed today he’s happy to have a scrap and a battle when needed (plus he has a sweet left foot Anderson the s3cond goal he’s created this season from a great cross).

Actually think these two things are related - if you think about Aluko on the other side, he's even worse than Barrow.

Our full backs were regularly getting slated last season because they were being pulled all over the place, because of the poor tracking of the wingers in front of them. And this season was more of the same. Last couple of games I saw, I was moaning about Barrow constantly either being nowhere to be seen, or else he was following the ball, and trying to tackle the same guy Yiadom was tackling, leaving the other winger/fullback completely free. It was so obvious at Brentford I was wondering if he'd been told to double up, so I was blaming Clement!

I wonder if Obita could play in front of Blackett when he comes back in? I thought Baldock did well today, but is he really a winger?