David Meyler - Reading's biggest ever mercenary?

121 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: David Meyler - Reading's biggest ever mercenary?

by muirinho » 29 Oct 2018 15:21

72 bus He was considering retiring after Hull let him go, now he's got a couple of years free salary while he sits at home playing games.
Reading Fc really are run by mugs

He didn't take long to think about retirement, if that's the case. He signed up with Reading almost immediately after his contract expired with Hull, he must have been talking to them as soon as season ended. If he was interested in an easy life, he'd have gone to the US.

On the football side of stuff, he played decently for 60 minutes or so against Derby, faded and got taken off with 5 minutes to go for Bacuna, after which we conceded the winning goal.

Was poor against Forest and Bolton, played the full 90 against Villa, and was decent for most of game also, then had an absolute shocker against Wednesday.

Since then he's been either on the bench or not in the squad. So either he's not training well, or Clement doesn't like him. We don't actually know which.
As a footballer he has lots of free time, and he's not actually allowed do anything much physical in that free time (I remember hearing another footballer complaining his golf-handicap shot up when he was in the championship because mid-week games meant he couldn't play during the season - he could only play a round of golf if he had the whole day off, and there was at least two days before another game). He's got to do something to fill it, or he'd turn into a complete basket-case. You can complain about unfair it is as much as you like, but he is no different to any other pro.

spending that time on Fifa is no different to darts or snooker, and a hell of a lot better than gambling or drinking.

the money he makes from his streaming goes to charity, (or at least he says it does, but you'd imagine it would be easy enough to follow up if you were named as a charity and didn't get any money) - he previously had charities in Hull listed, it's currently aimed at fundraising for Liam Miller (Cork City footballer who died from cancer early this year leaving behind a young family). He's also been recently name-checked on twitter as being supportive of Reading fans struggling with mental health - he may just be reaching out, or he may well be struggling himself. We don't know.

So what we have here is a guy who is clearly putting in the work on the training ground, because there isn't a hint of disciplinary actions or anything like that against him, and in his free-time, is using his hobby and his fame to raise money and awareness for charity.

Criticising him for not being better at football, yeah fair enough, but it's not like he's had the massive run of games that Aluko had, to prove himself useless. If we got in another manager, he may get played more, you'd never know. He scored 5 goals and got 2 assists for Hull last year, wouldn't mind some of that right now.

Criticising his hobbies, when they do no-one any harm, that's just being miserable for the sake of it.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Oct 2018 15:25

McDermolenko There's obviously no way of truly knowing the answer to this but, if he were to be offered the ability to never play a game for a football club again but to still pick up a wage while developing his online/eSports presence, could you say, with confidence, that he'd not want to do so?

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.

It's a hypothetical question being asked because we're stuck in a massive rut of losing games and people are desperately trying to find something to blame. If we were winning nobody would care a jot what he did with his afternoons after training.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 29 Oct 2018 17:17

Is he not injured?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2018 17:40

paddy20
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Brought in to solve our midfield problems by adding a bit of steel to the centre. Turned out he can't pass, run, or tackle. If he plays another game for us it'll be too soon.

And our current midfield can? Swift can't pass, he certainly can't run and he certainly certainly can not tackle. Same applies to Kelly unless he's playing a backwards pass or pass three yards to the side, the whole midfield is a mess and IMO is the major reason why we are where we are. Let's be honest, if Meyler is any worse than those two, he really is awful (considering I've only watched him against Derby and Wednesday)

Agree. We lack a midfield general and a dynamo. Along the lines of Sidwell and Karacan to help our defence. Who do we have that can run all day and make fierce tackles?

Ezatolahi unfortunately.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Oct 2018 12:03

Kulshaw72RFC I said this a few weeks ago, as did OMA, yet we were both ridiculed.....

Why is he spending time playing video games when he should be clearly trying to improve to get into the first team? Unbelievable!!!! He is stealing a wage when we have more younger and hunger players who want to play.
Is he playing video games in his down time or during training/coaching sessions? - A bit harsh to criticise a footballer for playing video games in their spare time when there are so many worse things they could be doing e.g. drinking, gambling etc. Nobody wants to take their work home with them, Rest and relaxation are an important part of anyones life.

Why are you spending time on this portal when you should be working? - Maybe you should set an example by logging off and doing some work instead.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 30 Oct 2018 12:44

Forbury Lion
Kulshaw72RFC I said this a few weeks ago, as did OMA, yet we were both ridiculed.....

Why is he spending time playing video games when he should be clearly trying to improve to get into the first team? Unbelievable!!!! He is stealing a wage when we have more younger and hunger players who want to play.
Is he playing video games in his down time or during training/coaching sessions? - A bit harsh to criticise a footballer for playing video games in their spare time when there are so many worse things they could be doing e.g. drinking, gambling etc. Nobody wants to take their work home with them, Rest and relaxation are an important part of anyones life.

Why are you spending time on this portal when you should be working? - Maybe you should set an example by logging off and doing some work instead.

I do not think I would be setting an example to David Meyler by not going on Hobnob during work hours, which you are doing aswell. I doubt he visits HNA.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Oct 2018 16:01

Kulshaw72RFC
Forbury Lion

I do not think I would be setting an example to David Meyler by not going on Hobnob during work hours, which you are doing aswell. I doubt he visits HNA.
How do you know he isn't on here?
I'm also not the one criticising him for playing FIFA

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Oct 2018 18:45

McDermolenko Taking attention away from both Clement and Gourlay for a second, I really do believe that nowhere near enough has been made of David Meyler's attitude this season.

Wtf is going on?!

I think most people just forgot he exists.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 31 Oct 2018 09:37

paddy20
URZZZZ
And our current midfield can? Swift can't pass, he certainly can't run and he certainly certainly can not tackle. Same applies to Kelly unless he's playing a backwards pass or pass three yards to the side, the whole midfield is a mess and IMO is the major reason why we are where we are. Let's be honest, if Meyler is any worse than those two, he really is awful (considering I've only watched him against Derby and Wednesday)

Agree. We lack a midfield general and a dynamo. Along the lines of Sidwell and Karacan to help our defence. Who do we have that can run all day and make fierce tackles?

David Edwards

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Oct 2018 13:50

had a bust up with Martin O'Neill in September as well while on international duty. Actually admitted he wasn't training very well and his club form is poor. Sounds like his heart just isn't in it any more

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/marti ... ler-176651

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... h-13224238

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 31 Oct 2018 14:11

I have subscribed and am watching his videos now

Just annoying as hell but somewhat entertaining.

https://youtu.be/8rFpmXyrW5o

Here is one.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 31 Oct 2018 14:17

This is the first one
Gives us a mention . Seems he has been busy with fifa since he signed

https://youtu.be/8RszjOJUBrs

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 31 Oct 2018 15:06

Favourite quotes

"I know more about football then most because I play"

Called Moussa Dembele, Ousmane Dembele 3 times and cannot say Ibisevic. He sounds very thick.

Kellige

David Meyler

by Kellige » 01 Nov 2018 06:43

I love david meyler, he's my favoritest player since Ian Harte and I dont know why hes not in the reading team? the reading manager should build a team around him and maybe bring in some more irish playas to play with him.

Whoi agrress?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: David Meyler

by tmesis » 01 Nov 2018 19:03

Hiram K. Hackenbacker

ROYALJOE

by ROYALJOE » 01 Nov 2018 19:09

Kellige I love david meyler, he's my favoritest player since Ian Harte and I dont know why hes not in the reading team? the reading manager should build a team around him and maybe bring in some more irish playas to play with him.

Whoi agrress?

:shock: u drunk?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Nov 2018 19:17

Kellige I love david meyler, he's my favoritest player since Ian Harte and I dont know why hes not in the reading team? the reading manager should build a team around him and maybe bring in some more irish playas to play with him.

Whoi agrress?

Hi double d.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Nov 2018 19:23

Double Doofus rides again.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Nov 2018 20:33

tmesis Hiram K. Hackenbacker