BFTG - Ipshit H

206 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Ipshit H

by Zip » 11 Nov 2018 20:47

John Madejski's Wallet
Snowflake Royal 4-3-3 IMO. But for the entire second half today, when McCleary came on for Rinomhota he played as a striker. And is a striker.

No way was McCleary playing as a striker. Apart from the last few minutes he was hugging the touchline, and often sitting deep enough people around me were shouting at him to push forward

Ian’s referring to Baldock. We did switch to 4-4-2 for about 25 minutes after the break before O’Shea went off. We were debating whether the formation was 4-3-3 at the start or 4-5-1. I guess we both need to get out more often.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Nov 2018 21:15

Zip
John Madejski's Wallet
Snowflake Royal 4-3-3 IMO. But for the entire second half today, when McCleary came on for Rinomhota he played as a striker. And is a striker.

No way was McCleary playing as a striker. Apart from the last few minutes he was hugging the touchline, and often sitting deep enough people around me were shouting at him to push forward

Ian’s referring to Baldock. We did switch to 4-4-2 for about 25 minutes after the break before O’Shea went off. We were debating whether the formation was 4-3-3 at the start or 4-5-1. I guess we both need to get out more often.

More of a 4-1-4-1 at the start. Kelly was sitting very deep.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2018 21:56

Zip
Snowball Thank you, Ian

It is hardly rocket science, and you quite rightly point out that there was nothing false about those stats.

Instead, as you also point out, 1.4 points per game multiplied by 46 games = 64.4 points. ALL that means is “a side averaging 1.4 ppg will finish on 64 or 65 points. The “season equivalent” (again, as you note, is just a quick clarification, a shorthand for “how we are accruing points”. Are we accruing points at relegation rate, low mid table rate, top ten or top six rate?

We are playing a LOT better than in games 1-6. FACT!

I’m amazed the moaners haven’t screeched “You can’t score .4 of a point!”

We have played 17.

29 games to go. IF we average 1.4 ppg for the rest of the season we will get 40.6 more points and thus end on 56 or 57.

Not great but very probably safe.

Yes, of course we COULD lose the next six games. If we do we reassess.

If we manage more than six I will be well satisfied

Bottom line, We are averaging less than a point per game this season and are level on points with the team second from bottom. We have a team like Rotherham who have a squad costing a fraction of ours above us in the League table. Simply put it’s not good enough.

Our squad has been ropey and overpaid for years. Comparisons to Rotherham are pointless.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2018 22:01

Zip
Snowball Thank you, Ian

It is hardly rocket science, and you quite rightly point out that there was nothing false about those stats.

Instead, as you also point out, 1.4 points per game multiplied by 46 games = 64.4 points. ALL that means is “a side averaging 1.4 ppg will finish on 64 or 65 points. The “season equivalent” (again, as you note, is just a quick clarification, a shorthand for “how we are accruing points”. Are we accruing points at relegation rate, low mid table rate, top ten or top six rate?

We have played 17.

29 games to go. IF we average 1.4 ppg for the rest of the season we will get 40.6 more points and thus end on 56 or 57.

Bottom line, We are averaging less than a point per game this season and are level on points with the team second from bottom. We have a team like Rotherham who have a squad costing a fraction of ours above us in the League table. Simply put it’s not good enough.

This is where I get p!ssed off.

Do you think I can't count or do simple division?

A ten year old can look at P17 points 16, but that is NOT representative of how we are playing NOW, not in this 5-game batch, or the previous six game batch.

BOLTON started the season brilliantly

They won at WBA 2-1, drew 2-2 with Bristol, lost by a single goal at Leeds, won at Reading, then beat Birmingham

TEN points from 5 games. CLEARLY they were nailed on to be Champions.

But, since then, reality set in and slowly but surely they have dropped down the table and are now in trouble

In the same 5-games Reading LLLDD and were a HUGE 8 points behind Bolton. Same after 6 games. In 11 games we have gained a full EIGHT points on Bolton. If we both (Bolton and RDG) continue the same, Reading will be SIXTEEN points clear of Bolton with 7 games still to play.

When we have played 40-41-42 games then of course, season ppg will be the only relevant stat, but the relative change in fortunes of Bolton and Reading CLEARLY show that the first 5/6 or ten games are a small part of the picture.

Reading only look "in trouble" because their first six games produced just 2 points

After 6 Games

20 6 4 Birmingham City
21 6 4 Hull City
22 6 4 Queens Park Rangers
23 6 3 Ipswich Town
24 6 2 Reading BOTTOM, dead in the water

But Since Game 6...

Reading have gained 9 points on Bolton
Reading have gained 6 points on Ipswich
Reading have gained 4 points on Brentford
Reading have gained 4 points on Wigan
Reading have gained 4 points on Wednesday
Reading have gained 3 points on Millwall
Reading have gained 2 points on Rotherham
Reading have gained 2 points on Hull
Reading have gained 1 points on Preston

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Nov 2018 22:17

Snowball
Zip
Snowball Thank you, Ian

We have played 17.

A ten year old can look at P17 points 16, but that is NOT representative of how we are playing NOW, not in this 5-game batch, or the previous six game batch.

They won at WBA 2-1, drew 2-2 with Bristol, lost by a single goal at Leeds, won at Reading, then beat Birmingham

But, since then, reality set in and slowly but surely they have dropped down the table and are now in trouble

In the same 5-games Reading LLLDD and were a HUGE 8 points behind Bolton. Same after 6 games. In 11 games we have gained a full EIGHT points on Bolton. If we both (Bolton and RDG) continue the same, Reading will be SIXTEEN points clear of Bolton with 7 games still to play.

When we have played 40-41-42 games then of course, season ppg will be the only relevant stat, but the relative change in fortunes of Bolton and Reading CLEARLY show that the first 5/6 or ten games are a small part of the picture.

Reading only look "in trouble" because their first six games produced just 2 points

After 6 Games

20 6 4 Birmingham City
21 6 4 Hull City
23 6 3 Ipswich Town

But Since Game 6...

FFS. How do you think we played yesterday? The first half was in Clement’s own words “embarrassing”. Was that an improvement on our opening game of the season v Derby? How about our recent performances against Swansea, Birmingham or West Brom? How improved were we in those games? Our home form is improving. Our away form is getting worse. Stop trying to manipulate the stats. We have gained points on some teams but lost ground to even more.

What do you mean we only look like we are in trouble? We are in trouble and just outside the relegation zone on goal difference. We have scraped recent unconvincing wins v Millwall and Bristol City. We are improving offensively. We are getting worse defensively.

Let’s see where we are at Christmas shall we.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2018 22:50

Snowball
Zip
Snowball Thank you, Ian

We have played 17.

After 6 Games

20 6 4 Birmingham City
21 6 4 Hull City
23 6 3 Ipswich Town

But Since Game 6...

Actually Bolton started even better than that, they had 10 points after 4 games, their defeat to Leeds was league cup I believe. They then went on to play Sheffield United on the 25th August and lost 3-0, I think they've only won one since their good start

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2018 22:55

Zip
Snowball
Zip

After 6 Games

20 6 4 Birmingham City
21 6 4 Hull City
23 6 3 Ipswich Town

But Since Game 6...

FFS. How do you think we played yesterday? The first half was in Clement’s own words “embarrassing”. Was that an improvement on our opening game of the season v Derby? How about our recent performances against Swansea, Birmingham or West Brom? How improved were we in those games? Our home form is improving. Our away form is getting worse. Stop trying to manipulate the stats. We have gained points on some teams but lost ground to even more.

What do you mean we only look like we are in trouble? We are in trouble and just outside the relegation zone on goal difference. We have scraped recent unconvincing wins v Millwall and Bristol City. We are improving offensively. We are getting worse defensively.

Every team have bad runs and bad games, we never really played well under Stam but managed to finish 3rd. If you take the first six games out of the equation, which are often unrelated to a team's final position, see Birmingham, Brentford, Bolton etc, we're averaging enough points for a mid table finish. If we take the form from after the last international break, we have 7 points from 5 games. It's also nice to see a manager realise when it's not working and changing it up (going to a 4-4-2). Really think we should stick with him, whereas I wanted him gone after West Brom

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Nov 2018 23:25

Zip
Snowball
Zip

After 6 Games

20 6 4 Birmingham City
21 6 4 Hull City
23 6 3 Ipswich Town

But Since Game 6...

How “we played” first half? We were OUTPLAYED by a side that played very well indeed. And that means SQUAT.

We won the second half easily and finished with a draw. THAT is far more relevant.

Where is my proof? We were great first half versus WBA. What was the result?

As for gained on NINE teams, I looked at those teams in the bottom ten, duh!

What do I care about the relative points of Reading and Norwich?

Defender/Attack I don’t care. What matters is POINTS and we are getting more per game - FACT

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Nov 2018 04:08

I literally cannot believe that HNA is still seriously even considering using stats based on 5-6 games chunks.

We have sunk to new levels of desperation.

Back to reality: we are still shit.

HTH

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2018 08:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup I literally cannot believe that HNA is still seriously even considering using stats based on 5-6 games chunks.

HTH

+1

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 12 Nov 2018 09:05

It also depends on who you are playing. If you have a run of Hull, Rotherham, Ipswich, Bolton and Millwall and mustered up 10 points for example, at the start of a season, for example, would you for example say your the best team in the league

Course you wouldn't. We are shit and will be found out within the next month when we play sides capable of getting promoted. Hope I'm wrong but I think we will be spending Christmas in the bottom 3, if not bottom

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 12 Nov 2018 09:10

I really don't understand this whole Clement is honest bullshit. He just goes to the interview afterwards and says the game how it is, fair enough its honest but when he stands there and says 'defending has been awful all season.' Yeah mate that's sort of your job to fix that...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Nov 2018 10:04

Theroyalbox I really don't understand this whole Clement is honest bullshit. He just goes to the interview afterwards and says the game how it is, fair enough its honest but when he stands there and says 'defending has been awful all season.' Yeah mate that's sort of your job to fix that...

You've literally just said you don't understand why people say he is honest and then said 'fair enough its honest' :|

Defending has been awful this season, we can all see it and I am sure they are at least trying to fix it, however if you take yesterdays game as an example, you can't legislate for a mistake like Moore's, he oxf*rd up, he knew it, everyone knew it, sometimes those things happen in football, they happen to every team. And before anyone says, what about their first goal yesterday, I would like to point everyone's attention to Yann's goal v Leeds in the play-off season... Happens to everyone.

I agree with a poster earlier who said they are enjoying Reading games more this season because of the unpredictability of it all and I am inclined to agree. The Burton game last season was probably the lowest of the lows, great crowd, 500th home game and then just rollover and lose (albeit to a fluke of a goal) but this season, on the whole, has been better.

I would rather watch us draw 2-2 with a goal in the last 5 minutes than play out a boring 0-0.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Nov 2018 10:55

2 world wars, 1 world cup I literally cannot believe that HNA is still seriously even considering using stats based on 5-6 games chunks.

HTH

The manager, and the team, worked, set targets, based on the blocks of games finishing at each International break.

The manager has expressed this when talking to the media. It is reasonable, and perfectly natural, for us to look at blocks in this way, especially as the manager // team appear to be doing it.

Six-game blocks are a COMMON way of viewing progress, also form

In terms of points per game, the three blocks show clear and unambigous improvement and that is FACT.

The poor first six result (2 points) is holding us at a relatively low point but since those games we have got better

Even those of us who can count don’t think Reading FC are suddenly a good team, but ten points in our last five home games is hardly sh!t

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2018 11:34

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

After 6 Games

20 6 4 Birmingham City
21 6 4 Hull City
23 6 3 Ipswich Town

But Since Game 6...

How “we played” first half? We were OUTPLAYED by a side that played very well indeed. And that means SQUAT.

We won the second half easily and finished with a draw. THAT is far more relevant.

Defender/Attack I don’t care. What matters is POINTS and we are getting more per game - FACT

What a load of nonsense to say what happened in the second half was far more relevant than in the first half. Both half’s had an equal bearing on the final outcome. Doh!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Nov 2018 11:40

Theroyalbox I really don't understand this whole Clement is honest bullshit.

He just goes to the interview afterwards and says the game how it is, fair enough its honest

make your oxf*rd mind up

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 12 Nov 2018 11:49

Maneki Neko
Theroyalbox I really don't understand this whole Clement is honest bullshit.

He just goes to the interview afterwards and says the game how it is, fair enough its honest

make your oxf*rd mind up

Have to admit its pretty poorly written but it is Monday morning so I hope you can forgive me. I'm not saying his honesty is bullshit, im saying he is honest. But how many times can he just admit his mistakes, its painstaking.
Hes pretty much saying honestly were shit, but that's hes job to fix it, and he has had about 9 months to do that. I don't get why people respect that?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Nov 2018 12:04

Zip
Snowball
Zip

What a load of nonsense to say what happened in the second half was far more relevant than in the first half. Both half’s had an equal bearing on the final outcome. Doh!

What matters is we fought back and got a draw, could’ve nicked the win AFTER playing badly.

It’s another point, another undefeated game, it improved our home record, it shows we CAN fight back, it confirmed the growth of Meite, it got us two places up the table.

ONE half is just that, HALF a game

WBA 0-1 Reading

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Nov 2018 12:40

Great entertainment, enjoyable going to a game not knowing what you are going to get whilst also knowing that each point is worth fighting for as we push for survival. Far better than any mid table mediocrity.

We have a real player in Meite and providing he is left be in that striker position we will have a top player in our hands who will command millions.

Sort out defence and holding midfielder role then we will push up table.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2018 12:40

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

What matters is we fought back and got a draw, could’ve nicked the win AFTER playing badly.

It’s another point, another undefeated game, it improved our home record, it shows we CAN fight back, it confirmed the growth of Meite, it got us two places up the table.

ONE half is just that, HALF a game

WBA 0-1 Reading

What also matters and is just as relevant is that we cannot string back to back victories together. We also cannot play for 90 minutes. We were atrocious in the first half. That shows we are still very vulnerable. ONE half is just that. HALF a game.

206 posts