52%
Ian
7%

Total votes: 99
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The very latest in Clement In/Out Polls

by Hound » 11 Nov 2018 19:55

CountryRoyal I’ve been Clement out for as long as I can remember and I’m tempted to not go to another home game until he’s gone.

Why out of interest?

Bar QPR the last 5 home games have been thoroughly entertaining and reasonably successful

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Nov 2018 21:21

Definately in.

Transfer windows don't create teams. Steve Clarke being a classic example of how to leave a club in a worse state that when you started.
To achieve anything in the longer term the club needs to think longer term.

Nor you blame Clement for the lack of availbility due to injuries. We are closer to a settled side than we have been for some time.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Nov 2018 00:55

sandman In.

We've started to string together some results at home and look more like a Reading team than we have since the Russian decided he "wanted better football".

This manager,wants to do his best for the club in a way I don't think any manager other than Brian has in the last six years.

It's up to those who are above the manager to get rid of the deadwood in the squad and let the manager get in the players he wants.

This is extremely interesting. You think Clement is in tune with the club like McDermott was?

I’m really struggling with Clement, I don’t know whether to stick or twist.

He’s an inexperienced manager who’s been at a few places as assistant if I was him I’d be trying to bed down at a club.

I don’t know.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Nov 2018 10:10

Hound
CountryRoyal I’ve been Clement out for as long as I can remember and I’m tempted to not go to another home game until he’s gone.

Why out of interest?

Bar QPR the last 5 home games have been thoroughly entertaining and reasonably successful

+1 11 goals and 10 points out of 15, for a team who is apparently already relegated to some fans, I'd say that is pretty good.

Plus the Derby game was probably the best I have seen us play for about 3 years, despite the result.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Nov 2018 10:57

Ooooot. Sticking to my guns on this one. Bland football, no obvious identity or ethos at the club under him and he gives me very little hope that anything will change under him.

I don't buy into the "he's improved us because we are scoring more goals" argument. Largely we seem to be relying on individual skill and ingenuity in attack and it's only working because the players are decent at this level. He had a whole summer to get to know the team yet struggled to find a formation or starting 11 in the early season.

He's proven time and time again he can't manager from the sidelines. His substitutions have shown a lack of tactical awareness and our performances have reflected that he just isn't experienced enough at leading a team.

His "honesty" in post match interviews is grating and his recent defense of "we were working on this all week so I don't understand how the players didn't do it come game time" is a dire indication that he can't differentiate between a job as a coach and a job as a manager.

At least that's how I feel..

Orion

by Orion » 12 Nov 2018 11:29

We're scoring more goals but that performance on Saturday was unforgivable. I would be more inclined to give him more of an opportunity if he had been successful elsewhere.

That being said, no matter how terrible we were, I wouldn't be comfortable sacking a manager that has just accumulated 4 points from 6 at home when last season and the start of this, we couldn't win at home for toffee.

Just not sure what to.make of him, one thing I do know though is they the international break saves him every time

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Nov 2018 11:34

got until mid December in my book

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Nov 2018 11:36

very slowly turning things around in very difficult circumstances and with very limited resources.
still on a knife edge and very much 2 steps forward, 1.75 steps back at the mo, but there are signs of improvement and we are getting points in the games we need to.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 12 Nov 2018 12:32

In - but its a 60/40 decision

Was not a fan of the appointment, but he seems to have identified the issue with this group is down to mindset and attitude rather than raw talent.

I think we have a tough January window ahead of us. We need to get players out but we also need to strengthen in some key areas and he has worked with this squad to know what is needed. I think the Ezra signing showed that. We had signed Meyler, yes it did not go well so quickly found an upgrade..

Our issue is too much dead wood, if we bring in a new manager he will want to bring in even more and that means an over bloated squad and we become Sunderland, with lots of players who know they have no future.

Hopefully Clement can identify the 1-2 we need to shape this team, get those out sold/or loans who have no interest in being here and then we become leaner and more hungry.

He is there, working with them, can see it day in day out.. give him the window but back him for the changes we need to make even if that means doing deals to get the wasters off the books. This is as much about the club backing Clement with in's and out's as Clement himself.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 12 Nov 2018 13:27

Definitely IN for me.

I see a huge improvement from the gutless and awful displays under Stam. We are (admittedly very slowly) getting better.

To me the difference between this season and last is the Ipswich performance Saturday as compared to the Birmingham at home performance under Stam. Last season RFC went 0-2 down against Brum (who were struggling at the time) and then spent most of the match playing the ball around in our own half (presumably to keep the score down) and the game ended 0-2.

On Saturday RFC came back twice and at least showed some fight to get a 2-2. And what people are forgetting is that for Ipswich Saturday's game was a "must win" against a fellow team in the relegation zone. Games like this are never easy and Ipswich probably played above themselves for the first 45 and we played below recent form. But the game ended with a point whereas lat season we would have lost.

Keep up the good work PC.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 12 Nov 2018 13:43

Think he should be given until Xmas at least.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Nov 2018 13:48

andrew1957 Definitely IN for me.

I see a huge improvement from the gutless and awful displays under Stam. We are (admittedly very slowly) getting better.

To me the difference between this season and last is the Ipswich performance Saturday as compared to the Birmingham at home performance under Stam. Last season RFC went 0-2 down against Brum (who were struggling at the time) and then spent most of the match playing the ball around in our own half (presumably to keep the score down) and the game ended 0-2.

On Saturday RFC came back twice and at least showed some fight to get a 2-2. And what people are forgetting is that for Ipswich Saturday's game was a "must win" against a fellow team in the relegation zone. Games like this are never easy and Ipswich probably played above themselves for the first 45 and we played below recent form. But the game ended with a point whereas lat season we would have lost.

Keep up the good work PC.

Agree completely with this, and in addition not enough credit has been given to how well Ipswich played first half (see the oppo fans BFTG posts), in fact its the best I've seen from anyone here this season, also Bristol the previous week, winning after being pegged back twice shows enormous resolve. I'm still in.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Nov 2018 13:55

IN - just.
As mentioned above. We are scoring and playing periods of good football. But he isn't identifying our problem areas.
Freak goals and basic mistakes have cost us many times this season already. Individual errors are at an all time high. This is not Clements fault. BUT it is his job to deal with them.
Our record of conceding after we score / after HT is embarrassing and I think its a great motivator for opposition teams. This is also Clements job to sort out.
Squad is unbalanced but years of crap transfers in and out has tied up hands and budgets. Not exactly Clements fault but he should identify.
Dare i say it, Joey would be a welcome squad player atm.....

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Nov 2018 14:40

In. Football is relatively entertaining, and at least we look like scoring every game. Sick of chopping and changing now. Let's try and get a bit of stability. And I have zero confidence in Gourlay or the owners bringing in a suitable replacement if he does get the chop. Best I can see is a McCarthy type coming in to steady the ship, only for us to want rid in another 12 months as the football is shit/we're still languishing in the bottom half.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 12 Nov 2018 15:02

PC in, especially if he gets ruthless with the chain saw and deceased timber! The owners need to back him up and pay off some contracts in order to move forward and build a more balanced squad IMHO

Delboy

by Delboy » 12 Nov 2018 15:17

Out

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Nov 2018 17:59

RoyalBlue
Top Flight Ascot, you think a new manager will do better in a January window than Clement? A new manager will come in clueless about this team and will spend the next 6 months finding out about them all.

Clement has already been through that process of learning about this bunch of players and knows better than anyone else what improvements need to be made. This constant kneejerking is leading us to League One.

He hardly did well with his summer signings did he. Sticking with Clement who keeps telling us the problems, 'repetition, repetition, repetition' but appears to do little about resolving them, will certainly send us to League 1.

You mean other than dropping offenders? What else is Clement supposed to do know the given restrictions? Tell the players to win more?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2018 18:00

NewCorkSeth Ooooot. Sticking to my guns on this one. Bland football, no obvious identity or ethos at the club under him and he gives me very little hope that anything will change under him.

I don't buy into the "he's improved us because we are scoring more goals" argument. Largely we seem to be relying on individual skill and ingenuity in attack and it's only working because the players are decent at this level. He had a whole summer to get to know the team yet struggled to find a formation or starting 11 in the early season.

He's proven time and time again he can't manager from the sidelines. His substitutions have shown a lack of tactical awareness and our performances have reflected that he just isn't experienced enough at leading a team.

His "honesty" in post match interviews is grating and his recent defense of "we were working on this all week so I don't understand how the players didn't do it come game time" is a dire indication that he can't differentiate between a job as a coach and a job as a manager.

Bland football? Have you seen us play? I'm seriously concerned about my BP at games they've been that engaging and entertaining!

Identity and ethos? Empty phrases for a manager in post for less than a year, especially when a manager is only partly involved in driving those things.

There's no point actually, your view is so completely divorced from mine there's virtually no ground from which to have a conversation.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Nov 2018 18:21

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Ooooot. Sticking to my guns on this one. Bland football, no obvious identity or ethos at the club under him and he gives me very little hope that anything will change under him.

Bland football? Have you seen us play? I'm seriously concerned about my BP at games they've been that engaging and entertaining!

Identity and ethos? Empty phrases for a manager in post for less than a year, especially when a manager is only partly involved in driving those things.

There's no point actually, your view is so completely divorced from mine there's virtually no ground from which to have a conversation.

There's plenty of reason to debate. Just don't get too caught up in being right or wrong. I'm sure there is lots we agree on.

I have seen us play. Every game live except for the last 2. 1 of which I watched on catch up and the other I will watch this weekend. I find our tactics to be very flimsy. Changing with the wind and not as a response to opposition.

As I said previously the attacking flair added this season has, imo, come about as a result of creative players being fully capable at this level. Not as a result of tactics.

I don't agree that they are empty phrases. Silva at Everton has shown a definitive ethos despite his posting being less than a year. Emery at Arsenal has certainly shown that. They both have observable styles and their tactics have characteristics you can spot a mile away. Stam had that (and failed because it was too restrictive) and it got us to 3rd. The players knew what was expected of them beyond "try to defend and try to score" which is all I see from Clement.

For me, watching our team is like watching a poorly trained boxer. He knows the techniques but has no idea how to use them. He can push forward but doesn't know how to stop the counter and he can retreat into a shell but doesn't know how to get out of it. It erks me.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 12 Nov 2018 19:02

In for me. I was on the fence when he arrived and whilst i still don't really know whether he's anymore other than a top coach, like Ian has said before i'm not interested in us continually changing managers. I only wanted Stam to go after what was his final match, as i suspected the problems ran deeper than the manager, something which seems to have been proved in the last couple of months...

At the start of the season I expected an up and down season and staying up with around 50 points and i haven't seen too much to change that. We could do with improving our midweek results though, nice to be able to see those games but don't have much confidence they'll be worth watching. They've been the problem this season imo, Even with our bad start at home, without them i don't think we'd be too far off lower mid-table.

I might change my mind at the end of the season, but wouldn't even consider sacking him until at least Christmas.