BFTG Wigan.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

BFTG Wigan.

by Kitsondinho » 24 Nov 2018 19:42

Not much to say really.

It was cold. Both teams were bang average. Meite had our two best chances and was unlucky with both. Aluko had one of his better games for us today, but it is hardly a high bar! Oh and Paul Cook is a grumpy of**rd!! Roll on Tuesday.......

hughsies no.1

Re: BFTG Wigan.

by hughsies no.1 » 24 Nov 2018 20:59

DW Stadium really is a grim place to visit on a cold afternoon in November - or at any point in a season to be fair.

Positives
- we kept a clean sheet
- Danny Loader made his debut and looked bright
- Rinomhota looks like he’s cemented his place in team
- We finished the game with 3 academy players on pitch
- Meite continues to look a threat
- It didn’t take long to get back onto the M6 after the game

Negatives
- Why drop Yiadom - arguably our player of the season
- No width at all
- Too many backward passes
- No urgency in our play
- Fans sarcastically cheering Aluko sub which was completely unessecary after his performance today which wasn’t that bad, McCleary rightly turned round and gestured to fans to make them stop - just embarrassing
- Wigan were nothing special at all, and still probably deserved to win the game

Summary
I didn’t expect much today, I didn’t get much today.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Nov 2018 21:19

Many defensive lapses?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 24 Nov 2018 21:37

Lower West Many defensive lapses?

Not really.....but Wigan weren’t exactly pounding on the door. Couple of saves by AJ but nothing overly comical in comparison to recent weeks.....

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 24 Nov 2018 22:40

I think there were defensive lapses. We somehow managed to keep a clean sheet but our defending looked poor at times this afternoon. Nothing comical. But poor marking and failing to pick people up resulted in Wigan having far too many chances for a team that were dominated by us particularly in the second half. We manage to dominate games without winning them. We are weak at the fundamentals of football.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Nov 2018 23:18

Two poor teams. Games against the likes of Wigan are games we should be looking to get a win from. Wigan were the worst home team I've seen this season.

Jaakkola - made some good saves, particularly in the first half and deserved his clean sheet. 7 motm

Gunter - Would have thought after being out of the team that he would have stepped up. Sadly and predictably that was not the case. Deservedly booked for an awful tackle, probably why he doesn't bother to make them usually. 3

Moore - Solid enough. Most of our defensive problems were on the flanks. 6

O'Shea - Someone called him "a toxic influence" on the radio, extremely harsh. Played well. 6

Blackett - Ok going forward but misplaced a fair few passes. Let his winger have too much room. 4

Rinomhota - Did ok. One very good run. Almost got caught out over playing in his own box though. 5

Kelly - One of his better games this season. Tidy in possession. 6

Swift - Hit two terrible corners in a row, he had an age to think about the first one and focus on what he was going to do because a Wigan player was down injured but he managed to hit the first man who was 10 yards away. One good shot but other than that lightweight and doesn't seem to realise the league situation we are in. 4

Aluko - Lightweight as usual. Doesn't go past people, doesn't cross and so undisciplined. 3

McCleary - Best outfield player. Final ball lacking but he at least tries to take people on. 7

Meite - Had the two best chances. Keeper probably had the one that hit the post covered. Thought he could have hit the second with a bit more conviction but he did well to steal the ball off the defender. 6

Subs:

Loader - Finally given his chance and did not look out of place. Tried to find space and take people on. Hope he continues and can get his first goal soon. 6

McNulty - Won a couple of aerial balls and put himself about but didn't have any chances. 5

Sims - Looked to take people on with a couple of decent runs. 6
Last edited by sandman on 25 Nov 2018 08:21, edited 2 times in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2018 00:15

Interesting that some of the Wigan fans said Aluko was our best player, was he really that bad today or are people just rating him low because he's Aluko?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2018 00:47

URZZZZ Interesting that some of the Wigan fans said Aluko was our best player, was he really that bad today or are people just rating him low because he's Aluko?

Can't answer the question but opposition fans will often rate a player who doesn't create a lot in a game but looks like on another day could do the business when his own fans know it's the same story every week.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2018 00:51

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Interesting that some of the Wigan fans said Aluko was our best player, was he really that bad today or are people just rating him low because he's Aluko?

Can't answer the question but opposition fans will often rate a player who doesn't create a lot in a game but looks like on another day could do the business when his own fans know it's the same story every week.

I still think booing him off is harsh, if you're going to boo someone off because they've had a bad game/season, then you'd be booing off 80% of our subs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2018 00:58

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

I still think booing him off is harsh, if you're going to boo someone off because they've had a bad game/season, then you'd be booing off 80% of our subs

Don't disagree with the sentiment. The stat is nonsense though.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Nov 2018 01:03

Aluko should be nowhere near this team.

He’s shit and lazy.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 25 Nov 2018 08:01

Wigan fans we spoke to said the same thing. I don’t think he was our best player, but I’ve seen him play much worse than he did today. Then again I don’t really think anyone had a bad game. Both teams were so average it hurt.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Nov 2018 09:27

Do “average” teams finish mid-table?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 25 Nov 2018 09:35

Snowball Do “average” teams finish mid-table?

You tell me what you want me to write and I will.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Nov 2018 10:35

This game doesn't seem to have attracted much interest and that doesn't surprise me. There were quite a few interesting elements for me.

I think the tactical shift was ill conceived. I am fairly certain the clean sheet was down to poor finishing from Wigan (along with a few good/lucky saves from Jaakkola) and I am absolutely certain our lack of goal threat was because of the formation.

There were several times we made a break and got it out to either Gunter or Blackett out wide and in a good position to attack but nobody was available for the overlap. With 3 players in the box for most of these scenarios you would have expected an early cross to fight over but nope. Too much deliberating on the ball. I think that was due to the lack of options the full backs had other than cross or pass backwards.

This formation also forced Meite out wide to cover full backs which was not ideal. Bodvarson can do it well but I feel asking too much of Meite when he's showing such instinctive finishing is a mistake.

The midfield 3 I thought (controversially) did quite well. They recycled possession well and tracked back well. Rinomhota was very good at using his upper body strength to hold up players (it was a shame the ref was so trigger happy on fouls) and Swift pulled off some great passes. I think he only failed with 2? So I'm not sure about the ratings from others on here. He was much better than Kelly.

Great to see Loader get his debut.

Jaakkola - 7
Gunter - 5
O'Shea - 6
Moore - 6
Blackett - 5
Kelly - 5
Rinomhota - 6
Swift - 6
McCleary - 5
Aluko - 5
Meite - 6

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Nov 2018 11:10

Swift does "pull off some great passes". Only problem is none of them seem to be in meaningful areas of the pitch.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Nov 2018 11:31

sandman Swift does "pull off some great passes". Only problem is none of them seem to be in meaningful areas of the pitch.

Swift made 81 passes. The next highest was Kelly with 58. Swift made 3 key passes. Kelly made 0. Swifts pass success rate was 95%. Kelly's was 88%.

We only had 2 shots on target. 1 was from Swift. The other was assisted by Swift.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2018 11:47

Yeah but......apart from that, what has he ever done for us?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Nov 2018 12:30

NewCorkSeth
sandman Swift does "pull off some great passes". Only problem is none of them seem to be in meaningful areas of the pitch.

Swift made 81 passes. The next highest was Kelly with 58. Swift made 3 key passes. Kelly made 0. Swifts pass success rate was 95%. Kelly's was 88%.

We only had 2 shots on target. 1 was from Swift. The other was assisted by Swift.

Yep.

I guess I hold him to a higher standard because as those stats show he can do it. As they also show he just doesn't do it enough.

By the way, out of interest, which one was it that he assisted? I remember the Meite chance in the second half but if it was that you are referring to as an assist then Swift actually over hit the pass and Meite had to tackle the defender to win the ball back. Do the stats you quoted account for a player winning the ball from an overhit pass?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Nov 2018 12:40

sandman
NewCorkSeth

Yep.

I guess I hold him to a higher standard because as those stats show he can do it. As they also show he just doesn't do it enough.

By the way, out of interest, which one was it that he assisted? I remember the Meite chance in the second half but if it was that you are referring to as an assist then Swift actually over hit the pass and Meite had to tackle the defender to win the ball back. Do the stats you quoted account for a player winning the ball from an overhit pass?

They do. I need to watch it again but on first viewing I thought it was a very well weighted pass that their defender did a good job tracking initially.

You're holding him to a standard, I would argue, he cannot reach with the tactical instructions given to other players around him and frequent formation changes. The position he played in the last game was much deeper than he's often asked to play. I think we would have seen much more of an impact from him if he was played in Alukos place. Not that I thought the 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree was a good idea.

It might work against stronger opposition with:
Bacuna---Ezatolahi---Rinomhota
-----------Swift----Baldock*
---------------Meite**

*or McCleary
**or Bodvarson