BFTG Sheffield

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Sheffield

by John Smith » 10 Dec 2018 14:10

Ascotexgunner Just a mention that Sheffield Utds team that started the other night cost less than our defence that we fielded. Which I guess proves the point that if you have a good manager, with good knowledge of the lower leagues, good backroom staff, and more importantly a good scouting structure then you can build something decent with nothing.
I get the feeling that someone like Warnock walks into a club and straight away knows who's a starter and who isn't, and who he needs to bring in. Managers like him are gold dust to EFL clubs yet frowned on in the PL.
I still can't believe Warnock got Rotherham out of that mess a few seasons back.

So you can actually make a sensible and coherent post, good to see.

Like I've said in a couple of other threads, it's clear to me that we need a taskmaster in next and to be honest, Warnock would be an ideal man for the job. He performed a miracle at Rotherham. It's going to be a huge January for the new man, even if it's just for the transfers out rather than in as that dressing room must be rotten right now.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Dec 2018 17:33

John Smith
Ascotexgunner Just a mention that Sheffield Utds team that started the other night cost less than our defence that we fielded. Which I guess proves the point that if you have a good manager, with good knowledge of the lower leagues, good backroom staff, and more importantly a good scouting structure then you can build something decent with nothing.
I get the feeling that someone like Warnock walks into a club and straight away knows who's a starter and who isn't, and who he needs to bring in. Managers like him are gold dust to EFL clubs yet frowned on in the PL.
I still can't believe Warnock got Rotherham out of that mess a few seasons back.

Like I've said in a couple of other threads, it's clear to me that we need a taskmaster in next and to be honest, Warnock would be an ideal man for the job. He performed a miracle at Rotherham. It's going to be a huge January for the new man, even if it's just for the transfers out rather than in as that dressing room must be rotten right now.

Evening Mr S.......I'd like to add also that whoever takes over has to have been a manager who has achieved something and has a pedigree in the lower leagues......no more coaches or people who a deserve "a chance", or who sit upstairs rather than operate at ground level. There are some about, let's hope this time we get the right bloke and we can see an instant difference January/February.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Dec 2018 17:52

John Smith

It's a lot easier to build that sort of team when you're a big fish in a small pond and have the time to make changes. It means that you don't have to worry about fickle fans jumping down your throat when you don't achieve instant success with a new team of players, so of whom may need some time to perform at their peak.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Dec 2018 18:41

Ascotexgunner
John Smith

Evening Mr S.......I'd like to add also that whoever takes over has to have been a manager who has achieved something and has a pedigree in the lower leagues......no more coaches or people who a deserve "a chance", or who sit upstairs rather than operate at ground level. There are some about, let's hope this time we get the right bloke and we can see an instant difference January/February.

Fantastic example of why pretty much anyone we bring in is destined to fail.

This side isn't capable of an instant difference. Clement may not have been the solution, but he certainly wasn't the main problem. So just trying someone else simply almost certainly can't yield an instant difference.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Dec 2018 20:12

Unlike previous years where I felt we were grossly underperforming I really just don’t think this squad has the quality. In a league like this though you can make up for quality with organisation, discipline and desire, just look at Sheffield United but it will be a tall ask to get this shower of shit out of this mess. Not impossible, but expecting a drastic transformation and improvement a la McD 09/10 is foolish.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Dec 2018 20:12

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner
John Smith So you can actually make a sensible and coherent post, good to see.

This side isn't capable of an instant difference. Clement may not have been the solution, but he certainly wasn't the main problem. So just trying someone else simply almost certainly can't yield an instant difference.

Or are you looking for a problem that isn't there? We have ditched the CEO, the DoF and the Manager. We have replaced the first with someone we know who helped build something special, hopefully we can appoint someone we can all agree is to our liking as a massive positive, and hopefully a good DOF will follow. The long and short of it is that we have started with a clean slate...,which is good. The squad however is a different matter. I'm pretty sure there is nowhere for them to hide now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Dec 2018 22:06

Are there fitness issues? There certainly were last season but Clement started pre season training a week early so they should be fit.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Dec 2018 22:39

Zip Are there fitness issues?

Some players are simply better athletes. The squad is lacking.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Dec 2018 22:48

Lower West
Zip Are there fitness issues?

Some players are simply better athletes. The squad is lacking.

Swift seems to struggle with his fitness. I’m not sure others do although we don’t seem to have many athletic players.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Dec 2018 07:30

The fitness they lack is in their heads.

They just don’t think or do things quickly enough.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Dec 2018 08:22

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner

Or are you looking for a problem that isn't there? We have ditched the CEO, the DoF and the Manager. We have replaced the first with someone we know who helped build something special, hopefully we can appoint someone we can all agree is to our liking as a massive positive, and hopefully a good DOF will follow. The long and short of it is that we have started with a clean slate...,which is good. The squad however is a different matter. I'm pretty sure there is nowhere for them to hide now.

We've lost a manager and a DoF less than a month before the window opens, what's the transfer policy actually going to be for getting rid of and bringing players in, can we really build one in less than a month?

A clean slate like that might be good in a summer window, when you know what division you are in and can plan for the season ahead. During a season, when you are in the relegation zone, just before a transfer window?

We are going into the most crucial game of the season either without a permanent manager or a permanent manager who has known the squad for 48 hours at most.

To me that's as shambolic as anything we've seen in this downward spiral that has hit the club since the Russian decided he wanted "better football" and replaced Brian with Mr Positives

Imo, If we go down then Nigel Howe is just as, if not more, responsible than anyone.
Last edited by sandman on 11 Dec 2018 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Dec 2018 09:33

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner Evening Mr S.......I'd like to add also that whoever takes over has to have been a manager who has achieved something and has a pedigree in the lower leagues......no more coaches or people who a deserve "a chance", or who sit upstairs rather than operate at ground level. There are some about, let's hope this time we get the right bloke and we can see an instant difference January/February.

All good points here. It was a huge call to give Clement the boot, given the timing. I'm almost certain we'd have stayed up, which, was probably the best we could have hoped for. In sacking him we are effectively saying we can do better than that, which would have been fine if a big name was lined up to come in the next day but we are now floundering around foreign unknowns and hoofball merchants in teams worse off than us. We will be going to Rotherham with the academy manager in charge who has no authority/respect over the big egos in the squad, which are to my mind, clearly the root cause of the problem.

We desperately need to get to the end of May with Championship status so a complete squad overhaul can take place. Until then it's fingers crossed and hold on tight.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 Dec 2018 10:15

sandman
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal Fantastic example of why pretty much anyone we bring in is destined to fail.

We've lost a manager and a DoF less than a month before the window opens, what's the transfer policy actually going to be for getting rid of and bringing players in, can we really build one in less than a month?

A clean slate like that might be good in a summer window, when you know what division you are in and can plan for the season ahead. During a season, when you are in the relegation zone, just before a transfer window?

We are going into the most crucial game of the season either without a permanent manager or a permanent manager who has known the squad for 48 hours at most.

To me that's as shambolic as anything we've seen in this downward spiral that has hit the club since the Russian decided he wanted "better football" and replaced Brian with Mr Positives

Imo, If we go down then Nigel Howe is just as, if not more, responsible than anyone.

Or just perhaps he recognised that the management structure that sanctioned the acquisition of the crappy playing assets and team management were plainly not fit for purpose. You have to start somewhere.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Dec 2018 10:39

Royal Rother The fitness they lack is in their heads.

Massively relates to confidence, that.

A nervous player will, depending on their own inclination, either dither or panic, while in possession. Neither is conducive to good attacking football.

Similarly a nervous player that doesn't have the ball won't make runs looking for it - either because they hesitate too long and the moment is lost, or they panic in advance, and hide - making it harder for anybody to pass to them.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Dec 2018 10:55

Problem is whether it was or it wasn't, you still have to come up with a new one in less than a month and you're doing so without two key elements in deciding it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2018 12:35

muirinho

Massively relates to confidence, that.

A nervous player will, depending on their own inclination, either dither or panic, while in possession. Neither is conducive to good attacking football.

Similarly a nervous player that doesn't have the ball won't make runs looking for it - either because they hesitate too long and the moment is lost, or they panic in advance, and hide - making it harder for anybody to pass to them.

This is exactly right.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Dec 2018 17:27

Getting back to defend. After losing possession should be automatic. As a team we are slow to push up and slow to get back. Even under Stam there were few occasions where we've shown ourselves capable of pinning the opposition back and putting them under pressure for any sustained period. Other than towards the end of games where it's a question of do or die.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2018 17:59

Lower West

Getting back to defend. After losing possession should be automatic. As a team we are slow to push up and slow to get back. Even under Stam there were few occasions where we've shown ourselves capable of pinning the opposition back and putting them under pressure for any sustained period. Other than towards the end of games where it's a question of do or die.

I'd agree with both points. It's not one OR the other. They don't look fit and they don't look mentally sharp and they lack focus.

There's issues galore with this team. :lol: