New Manager

1436 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Hound » 14 Dec 2018 14:37

I'm not sure if often does, does it? In saying that, know what you mean, seemed even less than usual

Heard he was a lovely bloke and all that, but that was about it

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Dec 2018 15:14

Old Man Andrews
Hound
URZZZZ
Cardiff game started the rot FYI, in the 82nd minute we were comfortably 2-0 up and we threw the game away before winning three more times the whole season. Burton at home was supposed to be a memorable event with the club promoting £5 tickets for the 500th game, it was Stam's chance to win back supporters and we spent the game passing between the back four and we lost. Stam still then made his usual dig after the game slating the supporters

So yes, Stam should have gone after Burton

Yep. Think that was the general feel, that he really lost any support after that awful game. Not just the result, but the pitiful performance and attitude of both the players and Stam himself.

If not that game, would have sacked him after Brum a few weeks later

Did you notice that not really a lot came out about the Stam era post him leaving? I would be interested to know how he was on a day to day basis, how did he deal with discipline issues, how hands on he was etc. There wasn't really anything that I can remember coming out from the players or ex-players/staff about him.

Probably not a lot to say. Simply out of his depth against more experienced Championship managers. Less technical ability and more athleticism would have improved the team considerably.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Dec 2018 15:38

Lower West
Old Man Andrews
Hound
Yep. Think that was the general feel, that he really lost any support after that awful game. Not just the result, but the pitiful performance and attitude of both the players and Stam himself.

If not that game, would have sacked him after Brum a few weeks later

Did you notice that not really a lot came out about the Stam era post him leaving? I would be interested to know how he was on a day to day basis, how did he deal with discipline issues, how hands on he was etc. There wasn't really anything that I can remember coming out from the players or ex-players/staff about him.

Probably not a lot to say. Simply out of his depth against more experienced Championship managers. Less technical ability and more athleticism would have improved the team considerably.

A team of Chris Gunter's?

I think what we actually needed was an Ingimarsson. The players all liked Stam, but he couldn't get them out of their negative mindset - he needed an on-pitch leader, who would drive everybody onwards, regardless of the scoreline. We still don't have one.

Closest we've had to one of those in a while is Danny Williams - I didn't think we would miss him as much as we did, but I got that one wrong. And it wasn't his technical ability or athleticism we missed

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Dec 2018 15:44

Old Man Andrews Did you notice that not really a lot came out about the Stam era post him leaving? I would be interested to know how he was on a day to day basis, how did he deal with discipline issues, how hands on he was etc. There wasn't really anything that I can remember coming out from the players or ex-players/staff about him.

Gunter said he was the best manager he'd ever played for. JVB was very complimentary, too, when he left. Most anything I heard from the players was generally positive. As I recall, he never really had any discipline issues with his players. Heard he and his wife were active in the local schools where their daughters went.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 14 Dec 2018 16:03

I thought long and hard about this. I've read others opinions and the facts they've brought up. After taking this all into consideration and looking at our current position, I can work out that there is only one man for the job. Parkinson. He will help bring the fans back. He has a similar pride to ourselves in Reading FC. He will at least show some passion for the club we love. He has also dug sides out of trouble before. Those saying looking to the future, he won't be the right man. Well I'd rather have a future in the Championship than a future in league one. Also, he's never had financial backing before. Who knows what he could achieve with some money. I think any other appointment would see this current side relegated. Parkinson might be able to keep us up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Dec 2018 17:01

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal If I was Parky I’d want some assurance I'm not just getting sacked in four months if we're still in the relegation zone / get relegated though.

He might want that (who wouldn’t?), but tbh not sure Parky’s achievements in footy management thus far are enough to leverage that. Would he command that at most other Champ clubs? Its not as if he’d be leaving utopia at Bolton anyway.

It’s a results business they are in, and they all know it. Have to think we (or any club) would want to reserve the right to want to get rid if things went tits up, didn’t win another game, etc, and quite frankly so would I.

I think people need to recognise how bad we are and stop expecting quick fixes.

Of course if things got a lot worse you'd want the option. I'm simply talking about not getting sacked for failing to fix the failings of years in three months with piss all to work with.

And of course, Parky's credentials for getting promoted from League One are good.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Dec 2018 17:58

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal If I was Parky I’d want some assurance I'm not just getting sacked in four months if we're still in the relegation zone / get relegated though.

He might want that (who wouldn’t?), but tbh not sure Parky’s achievements in footy management thus far are enough to leverage that. Would he command that at most other Champ clubs? Its not as if he’d be leaving utopia at Bolton anyway.

It’s a results business they are in, and they all know it. Have to think we (or any club) would want to reserve the right to want to get rid if things went tits up, didn’t win another game, etc, and quite frankly so would I.

Of course if things got a lot worse you'd want the option. I'm simply talking about not getting sacked for failing to fix the failings of years in three months with piss all to work with.

And of course, Parky's credentials for getting promoted from League One are good.

Yeah, well obviously I'm not sure what the current/future hierarchy at Reading will expect, and in what time frame, nor what budget Parky will be afforded. I was speaking more to Parky's leverage, and his relative lack thereof (imo), and what typically happens in footy at many teams, esp these days. In the negotiations, pretty sure their expectations, which he would be tasked with, would be laid out. Then he'll either accept those and choose to take the job, or he won't.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2018 18:34

Courtney Friday has deleted his Twitter account...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Dec 2018 19:29

genome Courtney Friday has deleted his Twitter account...

Can’t say I blame him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 19:39

Chronicle probably made him after yesterday. It was embarrassing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Dec 2018 19:59

Old Man Andrews

What's embarrassing is grown men calling him out when he's doing his best with very little resources. He's no Charles Watts, but the people who directly reply to him calling him out are sad, lonely people. If you don't like what he writes, ignore it, instead of trying to slate him at every given opportunity (this isn't aimed at you)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 20:14

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

What's embarrassing is grown men calling him out when he's doing his best with very little resources. He's no Charles Watts, but the people who directly reply to him calling him out are sad, lonely people. If you don't like what he writes, ignore it, instead of trying to slate him at every given opportunity (this isn't aimed at you)

He doesn't work for the Chronicle, he's not a journalist......

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Dec 2018 20:42

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Chronicle probably made him after yesterday. It was embarrassing.

Freelance journalist still means you’re a journalist. :|

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Dec 2018 20:44

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Agreed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 20:48

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Freelance journalist still means you’re a journalist. :|

He isn't that either. He works for South East Water. Try again.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 14 Dec 2018 20:51

I'm at the stage where if the club decides to throw money at Parkinson I'll accept it.

His record is decent and he's been through this before with Bolton. I just don't want him to suffer the ignominy of getting McD'd (he comes in, our crap team doesn't perform, and he's out by May)

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New Ma

by DelBoyRodders » 14 Dec 2018 21:36

I wonder if those responsible for sacking Clement last week have admitted in past eight days “We’ve made a big mistake - we shouldn’t have sacked Paul Clement. “

With Plan A falling through and seemingly no Plan B, the club have messed things up and have incredibly made the team weaker than they were before. Didn’t think that was possible.

To sack him two days before what was a huge but winnable game, and now leave us rudderless ahead of big away games against Rotherham and Millwall they have practically relegated us.

Total shambles!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2018 22:03

I can only thank the lengthy manager search for gifting me a 46 pager.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 22:06

genome I can only thank the lengthy manager search for gifting me a 46 pager.

Ah that's the reason for the delay isn't it!! You've convinced them to let you get the page numbers up! Disgrace.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Dec 2018 22:09

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal He might want that (who wouldn’t?), but tbh not sure Parky’s achievements in footy management thus far are enough to leverage that. Would he command that at most other Champ clubs? Its not as if he’d be leaving utopia at Bolton anyway.

Yeah, well obviously I'm not sure what the current/future hierarchy at Reading will expect, and in what time frame, nor what budget Parky will be afforded. I was speaking more to Parky's leverage, and his relative lack thereof (imo), and what typically happens in footy at many teams, esp these days. In the negotiations, pretty sure their expectations, which he would be tasked with, would be laid out. Then he'll either accept those and choose to take the job, or he won't.

The DoF role is equally if not more important. As tomorrows result might well seal our fate should we lose. Going to be uphill struggle if we become detached. Irrespective of who the manager is.

1436 posts