New Manager

1436 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 20:47

Denver Royal One thing jumps out. Eza was signed on loan (in desperation) mid-season, so that means you don't have many of Clement's Summer window signings in your team. (Yiadom, plus Baldock, who to me isn't a 90-min player, and who I might replace as starter anyway with Barrow, because there is no winger or pace). Yet, you have consistently said that window was good. Surely we were looking for more than depth from a Summer window, esp given that you've said the team coming in to the season was dire. It has to be a disappointing return, and one of the reasons we are where we currently are, no? Surely we needed more starters, to upgrade a dire team, for a window to be rated good?

You've got to think what our signings were for and what the situation was when we signed them.

Walker - Clearly not signed to be first choice immediately, but a decent backup with good prospects to develop.
Yiadom - Improved us at right back
O'Shea - Experienced back up and for behind the scenes. Never liked this signing
Meyler - The key signing to shore us up, turned out to be shit.
Ezatolahi - Solved the Meyler problem until he got injured
Baldock - Added striking options and was doing well as a foil to Bod or Meite.
McNulty - gave us more options up front, but never expect someone to fully breakthrough in season 1 after stepping up
Sims - again, clearly a cover signing where we were short.

We've spent several years trying to buy a new team each summer. This summer could only ever be phase 1 of a rebuild, with a few players integrating. I also give credit for bringing Meite back and showing him faith, and bringing in Rinomhota.

With our full squad available, I think we're tolerable mid table. Which is why the fitness issues are so frustrating.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2018 21:28

Pepe the Horseman Honestly think our best bet now is to just give it to Marshall until the end of the season. The owners' picks seem to be becoming more and more underwhelming. The last thing we need is to bring someone in for the sake of it, and then have to pay them off at the end of the season. Let's just see where we are in the summer. If we stay up we might be more attractive to a "higher caliber" candidate. If we go down we can look to the likes of Ainsworth to get us back up.

If we’d held on yesterday I reckon the owners may even have thought the same

I’d give him a couple more games until we rush into getting someone tbh. I do wonder how much influence he’d have over getting rid of the crap/signing the new CB we need though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2018 21:37

Was just watching some goals on Sunday repeat thing on Sky with Warnock

Realise I actually quite like him. Had to switch over quickly before I got to like him any more

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2018 21:41

Apparently Gomes is happy in Portugal so I guess we may be rebuffed again.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Dec 2018 21:52

I have to say all this stuff about dodgy agents and random potuguese managers worries me.

What's going on? Is someone telling the owners that if they hire the person they recommend, and give them a few backhanders, that they'll be able to send a few superstars Reading's way?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Dec 2018 21:59

Zip Apparently Gomes is happy in Portugal so I guess we may be rebuffed again.

Unless someone offers to double his wages yes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Dec 2018 22:04

windermereROYAL

Unless someone offers to double his wages yes.

It didn’t work with Castro. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Dec 2018 23:02

Can’t say I’ll lose any sleep if this one doesn’t go through.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Dec 2018 23:32

Same, not sold on this guy at all. Would prefer Ainsworth, or even just Marshall 'til the end of the season...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Dec 2018 00:45

This is a shambles

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 17 Dec 2018 01:00

Elm Park Kid I have to say all this stuff about dodgy agents and random potuguese managers worries me.

What's going on? Is someone telling the owners that if they hire the person they recommend, and give them a few backhanders, that they'll be able to send a few superstars Reading's way?

Kia is not an agent, he’s an advisor, and he’s worked with the Chinese owners with their other respective clubs as well.

To just add to the Gomes rumours, Charles Watts commented on @takinthebiscuit and confirmed the club are confident of getting this done (although they were with Castro as well). He also suggests January could be a very interesting month with a number of outs and ins.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 17 Dec 2018 07:46

We havent given this much thought have we?
Bearing that in mind, is it time for a bet on Scott Marshall? You might even win the bet on a technicality.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 08:12

genome Same, not sold on this guy at all. Would prefer Ainsworth, or even just Marshall 'til the end of the season...

Marshall is accidently now getting himself into a good position. If he is in charge for Middlesbrough and we pick up a win I think he gets it until the end of the season. Really would worry me in the January window though, can't see the owners trusting him with any cash. Might be a case of just doing enough to stay up with what we have and then seeing which managers are available in the summer. Owners can then invest heaviliy then.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 17 Dec 2018 08:38

Is it a coincidence that the last time Howe seemed to have a bit more control at the club we signed sa, hurtado, Ola john and lisandro semedo who all had a Portuguese connection?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 08:39

Simon's Church Is it a coincidence that the last time Howe seemed to have a bit more control at the club we signed sa, hurtado, Ola john and lisandro semedo who all had a Portuguese connection?

Yes.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Dec 2018 09:45

Elm Park Kid I have to say all this stuff about dodgy agents and random potuguese managers worries me.

Worked for Wolves

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 17 Dec 2018 10:21

Might just as well be Gomez Addams!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Dec 2018 10:29

Don't we have to actually offer someone the job in order to get rebuffed?

Tbf these Portuguese agents are working hard planting all these stories just now

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 17 Dec 2018 11:34

Don't shoot the messenger

I've heard this weekend through Ainsworth's Sunday League football scene that he would love to get the Reading job and that he has put himself forward for it. I know nothing beyond this but it would seem he is pretty up for it.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Dec 2018 12:03

bracksroyal10 Don't shoot the messenger

I've heard this weekend through Ainsworth's Sunday League football scene that he would love to get the Reading job and that he has put himself forward for it. I know nothing beyond this but it would seem he is pretty up for it.

God I hope that's true......he ticks all my boxes....and hes in an INXS tribute band to boot......hes like a dream come true.
I cant see it though....Hes doing incredibly well at Wycombe and their probably punching a bit above their weight. Only Martin O Neil has achieved that kind of success there.

1436 posts