New Manager

1436 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by genome » 19 Dec 2018 16:08

leon
Hound this was on Talk Reading:

Reading are willing to offer Rio Ave €1 million for manager José Manuel Gomes. A decision is likely to be made in the next few hours, but he is expected to stay at the club

Bored of the whole thing now. Lets just use that money for Ainsworth and move on.

I'm not against having a foreign manager, but this is looking more and more like a complete shambles.

We sack a manager with absolutely no plan to recruit a replacement, except that they need to be Portuguese?

I thought it was common knowledge that we did have a plan for a replacement but the guy ducked out at the last minute?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Dec 2018 16:54

Delboy How about Nigel Clough

How about no?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Dec 2018 16:57

genome
leon

Reading are willing to offer Rio Ave €1 million for manager José Manuel Gomes. A decision is likely to be made in the next few hours, but he is expected to stay at the club

Bored of the whole thing now. Lets just use that money for Ainsworth and move on.

I'm not against having a foreign manager, but this is looking more and more like a complete shambles.

We sack a manager with absolutely no plan to recruit a replacement, except that they need to be Portuguese?

I thought it was common knowledge that we did have a plan for a replacement but the guy ducked out at the last minute?

Is it?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2018 17:01

From the noises reported in the Chronic it would seem Gomes is more than happy at Ave and wants to repay the trust shown in him so unless the Ave chairman needs the money I think we might be looking elsewhere after tomorrow. Possibly thankfully, possibly not. We’ll never know in that eventuality.

So the next name creeping up on the radar is ex-Monaco boss Leanardo Jardim - oh look he’s of Portuguese parentage from Barcelona (the Venezuelan version that is). Anyone spotting the ongoing link here. But then I hardly think he’ll likely to want to drop down to the current level of this club.

So why don’t the club just appoint Tiago Ilori to the role and have done with it? Perhaps being only half Portuguese won’t do though.

But then perhaps Reading are just waiting for an opportunity to make Ronaldo player manager

Anyone betting we’ll have the new guy in before the club’s brief appearance in the FA Cup? No, me neither.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 19 Dec 2018 17:17

Ascotexgunner
Gunny Fishcake
Pepe the Horseman I'd rather a romantic Icelandic appointment.

Brynjar Gunnarsson !

Player Manager Gylfi :P

Actually that's a good point.. If we are talking different nationalities and the mythical Reading Way then we should be only considering Icelandic or Irish managers..

Right now I think I am steering towards the Icelandic option, because Stephen Hunt's name came into my head and that sent a shiver down my spine and brought me out in a cold sweat..

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Dec 2018 17:38

Old Man Andrews The two situations are completely different and it is pointless to compare the two.

Man Utd are a listed company and a brand. Without the return of the Ferguson style of football. There's a lot of money at risk.

Though success is built both off field and on the field . That's something both clubs share in common. Since losing their way.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Dec 2018 19:15

Denver Royal
Denver Royal
tmesis If the owners think the key to a manager being successful is having a Portuguese passport, then they really are clueless.

If the new bloke has a Portuguese passport, will we dislike him?
What if he then does well? Will we then like him, or will we dislike him even more?
(This just in in, Wolves fans not worried too much re. passports)

How did you get any implication from that, that him being Portuguese would be a problem?

The problem is the idiotic idea that thinking a Portuguese manager will be good because some other Portuguese managers have been good.

It would be like looking for a manager with ginger hair, just because some other managers with ginger hair have done well.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Dec 2018 21:59

Personally think Gomez would be a huge mistake. He might be good but to come in to the cut and thrust of the Championship with no experience of English football and with the squad at such a low point will almost certainly take us down.

I would prefer Parkinson or Ainsworth myself. If they are not available then we might as well let Scott Marshall have it until the end of the season and then re-think depending on what happens.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Dec 2018 23:45

1st bloke said no, maybe 2nd one too, but doesn’t mean we got caught with pants down. Hopefully (and OMA alluded to this) we ID’d 4 candidates at outset (maybe even half dozen), and we’d basically be happy with any one of them.

After that, it’s who really wants to come here, agreeing on wages, length of contract, the war chest available, etc. Difficult to negotiate all this when previous manager is still in place. Also, things may come to light in talks that put you off a bloke that you weren’t aware of b4.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Dec 2018 03:29

genome
Hendo
Winston Biscuit I thought German & Austrian managers were all the rage these days what with Klopp, Rabbithutch & Wagner.

Wolfgang Wolf anyone?

Might be adding Ralph Hasenhüttl to that list as well.

I think that's what he was going for with "rabbithutch"

No...Winst has defo embarrassed himself here

JR

by JR » 20 Dec 2018 07:15

Sutekh Decision on this from Rio Ave/Gomes not expected until after their cup game with Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday evening. Might well be just a matter of agreeing comp. with the Ave chairman.

Worryingly the Portuguese media rate it as a risky move if it happens and says that despite Ave managing to get to the lofty heights of 6th in the Portuguese league he has not addressed the club's defensive frailties.

This could be a long season.

If it does happen it'll be interesting to hear from Reading just why they think Mr Gomes is the right fit (after Castro) instead of someone like Jokanovic, Pardew, Parkinson, Carvahal or whoever you'd choose.

Hammered 5-2 tonight which emphasises your defensive frailties point.

If you look at this guys cv there is nothing to show he is the right person for the job.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Dec 2018 09:31

JR
Sutekh Decision on this from Rio Ave/Gomes not expected until after their cup game with Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday evening. Might well be just a matter of agreeing comp. with the Ave chairman.

Worryingly the Portuguese media rate it as a risky move if it happens and says that despite Ave managing to get to the lofty heights of 6th in the Portuguese league he has not addressed the club's defensive frailties.

If it does happen it'll be interesting to hear from Reading just why they think Mr Gomes is the right fit (after Castro) instead of someone like Jokanovic, Pardew, Parkinson, Carvahal or whoever you'd choose.

If you look at this guys cv there is nothing to show he is the right person for the job.

There was not a lot in the CV’s of McGhee, Pardew or Mc Dermott to suggest they would be successful. Even Coppell was a risk.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Dec 2018 10:42

Nameless
JR

There was not a lot in the CV’s of McGhee, Pardew or Mc Dermott to suggest they would be successful. Even Coppell was a risk.

This would more similar to hiring pardew or McGhee now though.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 20 Dec 2018 11:02

Yes please.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Dec 2018 11:16

Henley Royal 1

Yes please.

The Burton chairman was quoted as saying he wouldn`t stand in his way if a club came in for him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Dec 2018 11:25

Nameless There was not a lot in the CV’s of McGhee, Pardew or Mc Dermott to suggest they would be successful. Even Coppell was a risk.

McGhee was a real punt at the time and in this day and age he probably would've been sacked before Christmas of his first season in charge!

Not only is football quite different now, but RFC is a completely different club too and can't really afford to take such a punt as Sir John did nearly 30 years ago.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 20 Dec 2018 12:43

Ainsworth is surely worth a shout.

Talking about untried managers, my boss has just taken a punt on Sol Campbell and the impact at Macc has been immediate. OK, it may be "new manager syndrome" but....

Royalgeorge71

by Royalgeorge71 » 20 Dec 2018 12:57

Neil Lennon

Win % with Celtic 70.04%, goals for 502 against 184. More wins than John Barnes, Tommy Burns, Liam Brady, Kenny Dalgleish, Tony Mowbray, Gordon Strachan. Win % with hibs 48.74, 213 for 123 against. Has experienced the highs and lows as player and manager also European experience, league and cup title winner as manager and player.
Knows this league a bit and did well at Bolton in his first season but lost his way in second although financial restrictions played their part.
A great motivator and will fight for a performance and result.
Sure he had loads of resources at Celtic ( as did others above) but much less so at Hibs and Bolton.
A disciplinarian, fiery character but a winner through and through.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Dec 2018 13:15

Hoop Blah
Nameless There was not a lot in the CV’s of McGhee, Pardew or Mc Dermott to suggest they would be successful. Even Coppell was a risk.

McGhee was a real punt at the time and in this day and age he probably would've been sacked before Christmas of his first season in charge!

Not only is football quite different now, but RFC is a completely different club too and can't really afford to take such a punt as Sir John did nearly 30 years ago.

Isn’t any appointment a punt ? Some massive clubs have appointed big name managers with stacks of trophies in their lockers who have then utterly flopped. I’m not sure how you guarantee that you pick someone who will be successful. Of course you can try and minimise the risk but there’s a huge element of gamble involved. You would have thought Stam would have ticked all the boxes - high profile name with superb record as a player, served managerial apprenticeship at top European club with reputation for developing talent, knowledge of English football, plenty to prove....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Dec 2018 13:17

Some murmurings on Twitter (yeah, I know) that the deal for Gomes is essentially done and just down to haggling over a release fee - we've offered €750k, Rio Ave want €1m.

Could well be announced as manager tomorrow.

1436 posts