Clear out started

211 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clear out started

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 19:56

Pro sport is tough. Well paid and can be very harsh at times

Tbh, being asked to train with the U23s and not with the first team squad is hardly the end of the world. Football clubs have to ruin the dreams of multiple 16/17 year olds every season when they are released - this massively pales in comparison

We needed to cut down the group and this was the quickest way to do so. I see nothing wrong with it at all

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 07 Jan 2019 20:01

Zip Ejaria on loan until the end of the season. Confirmed.

Confimred

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 20:04

windermereROYAL CF reporting 5 players have been removed from 1st team training, are we thinking Baldock too?

I think the five were Edwards, McShane, McNulty, Meyler and Mannone. Obvs one gone four to go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 20:10

Zip
genome
leon That doesn’t sound great tbh.

It's brutal by the club and to be honest, I'm surprised Mannone is one of them considering I don't think his performances have been that bad (certainly no worse than Jaakkola).

But in desperate times the club needs to do everything it can - sure it's a bit distasteful but if it keeps us up, then it was worth pissing off a few highly paid professionals.

I thought the criticism of Mannone after the Derby game was harsh. I would have him ahead of Jaakkola and Walker but appreciate there isn’t much in it and he is the highest paid of the three.
I don’t see why he should be treated like this though.

Been incredibly disappointed with Mannone. Thought we were getting a very good keeper at his peak. He has been barely average since he arrived. Can remember one good game (Forest at home) and the two pen saves (and let’s face it, the QPR pen was an awful one), and that really is it

It makes complete sense to try to sell if we can. On a chunky wage as well I hear

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 20:18

Hound
Zip
genome
It's brutal by the club and to be honest, I'm surprised Mannone is one of them considering I don't think his performances have been that bad (certainly no worse than Jaakkola).

But in desperate times the club needs to do everything it can - sure it's a bit distasteful but if it keeps us up, then it was worth pissing off a few highly paid professionals.

I thought the criticism of Mannone after the Derby game was harsh. I would have him ahead of Jaakkola and Walker but appreciate there isn’t much in it and he is the highest paid of the three.

Been incredibly disappointed with Mannone. Thought we were getting a very good keeper at his peak. He has been barely average since he arrived. Can remember one good game (Forest at home) and the two pen saves (and let’s face it, the QPR pen was an awful one), and that really is it

It makes complete sense to try to sell if we can. On a chunky wage as well I hear

You’re in a harsh mood tonight Houndy. How many mistakes did he make? Not that many in my view.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2019 20:28

Zip
Hound
Zip

You’re in a harsh mood tonight Houndy. How many mistakes did he make? Not that many in my view.

It`s not the mistakes, he never made many, aside from the penalties he couldn`t be relied on to make that match winning save. previous keepers here have done that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 20:34

windermereROYAL
Zip
Hound

It`s not the mistakes, he never made many, aside from the penalties he couldn`t be relied on to make that match winning save. previous keepers here have done that.

Think that’s it. He hasn’t been bad, just thought we’d pulled off a great deal at the time. Was expecting more

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2019 20:38

The spotty 15 year olds are up in arms on twitter about our new signing. , Christ.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 07 Jan 2019 20:48

Why would we swap Sims for Ejaria? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the clearout?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 20:51

alfie9 Why would we swap Sims for Ejaria? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the clearout?

Depends if he is any better really

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 20:52

alfie9 Why would we swap Sims for Ejaria? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of the clearout?

Not really. Different positions. If we clear out about ten and bring in four or five then it’s still a heavy squad but given the injuries being two or three over is not unreasonable.

biff

by biff » 07 Jan 2019 21:04

Watch him play on youtube (I know i know). Pedestrian, lethargic, too many touches. Not really sure what role he's going to play here

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 21:05

Victor Meldrew
strap Apologies if already a thread but couldn't find it.

Sims loan deal cancelled and now back at Southampton.
Edwards contract cancelled by mutual consent and now on his way to Shrewsbury on a free, (so his £1,000,000 transfer fee we paid worked out at £336/minute on the pitch ignoring salary, c/w Pelle Clement's £341!).
McShane, Meyler, McNulty and Mannone officially on transfer list.

Ejaria having a medical prior to a loan deal.

I just realised that we have so many players with a surname beginning with "M".

Thought it was a cull of players with surnames beginning with "M" and then realised that we also have Moore, Meite, McIntyre and McCleary.

If only the clear out included all of those starting with the letter "G". :wink:
Yet another manager (all the others have been sacked) is conned into thinking he is any good-what hold has that player got over somebody at the club?

“G”...hmm let me think. Nope I can’t think of anyone. Tell me Victor. How well did we do at the start of the season and how well have we done recently without any players whose surname begins with the letter G?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 21:10

biff Watch him play on youtube (I know i know). Pedestrian, lethargic, too many touches. Not really sure what role he's going to play here

Sounds a perfect fit etc etc...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jan 2019 21:12

Give the lad time and if he hasn't scored a hat trick inside five minutes of his debut then we can write him off.

biff

by biff » 07 Jan 2019 21:41

Certainly not writing him off, but not many positive things on either sunderland or rangers forums. Hoping it was a geographical thing and he'll be a lot more settled closer to london!

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 07 Jan 2019 21:44

RG7Fan
Zip Ejaria on loan until the end of the season. Confirmed.

Confimred

Conmfried.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 22:38

RG7Fan
Snowflake Royal I'd also add that whilst it's great Gomes has transfer listed the McShane, Mannone and Meyler, it doesn't mean they'll go anywhere.

Given Clement signed Walker and extended Jaakkola it's not unreasonable to consider that he may have been trying to shift Mannone. And he certainly dropped Meyler and McShane like hot potatoes too.

Hopefully Gomes will have more success but I fear of the four Ms the one most likely to go is the one whose likely cheapest and most likely to be useful next season in League One. And we'll still be paying at least two of the other three come Feb.

But if they are training seperately and not being picked then it doesnt matter surely (other than the cost)?

I imagine it'll be difficult to keep them entirely separate and it might start causing problems over the longer term. Plus they'd be potentially disrupting the Academy instead of the first team. Not to mention cost is a pretty big factor.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2019 22:53

Zip
Lower West
URZZZZ Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Problems started when Clarke was here. All those loan signings. Blowing the Thai's budget on a one off promotion gamble. McD never had a chance to recruit. We were threadbare away at Blackburn on the last day of that season. Ever since we've struggled to have a settled balanced team. Only real top class player we've had is Yann. As could produce something out of nothing.

Yes McDermott was not given a proper chance. I also think Adkins was totally screwed over having to sell ALF and Morrison with Drenthe forced upon him. Little wonder we started to struggle.
God knows how much we paid in loan fees under Clarke. The likes of Vydra and Ola John won’t have come cheap.

Vydra I believe was reckoned to be about £2m loan fee with an option to buy for £10m.

Piazon was on about £750k salary at Chelsea. Wouldn't have been cheap either.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2019 22:56

Lower West
Zip
Lower West
Problems started when Clarke was here. All those loan signings. Blowing the Thai's budget on a one off promotion gamble. McD never had a chance to recruit. We were threadbare away at Blackburn on the last day of that season. Ever since we've struggled to have a settled balanced team. Only real top class player we've had is Yann. As could produce something out of nothing.

Yes McDermott was not given a proper chance. I also think Adkins was totally screwed over having to sell ALF and Morrison with Drenthe forced upon him. Little wonder we started to struggle.
God knows how much we paid in loan fees under Clarke. The likes of Vydra and Ola John won’t have come cheap.

Vydra I believe was reckoned to be about £2m loan fee with an option to buy for £10m.

Piazon was on about £750k salary at Chelsea. Wouldn't have been cheap either.

Ola John would have cost a few bob too.

211 posts