Clear out started

211 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Clear out started

by 3points » 07 Jan 2019 22:57

I really do wonder what happened between Clement and Meyler. I think it was after the Bolton game in August when Clement “called out” a senior player. At the time most people thought it was aimed at McShane but within days we’d signed Ezatolahi and Meyler hasn’t been seen since. McShane has conveniently been injured since giving away two penalties at Blackburn.

There were also comments that we’d tried to get rid of players in August but things hadn’t happened - I think both Gourlay and Clement said as much. Pelle Clement was one of those strongly rumoured. Looks like Mannone was probably another. I suspect Barrow, given his previous with Clement, might have been another.

The McNulty/ Baldock signing situation was just bizarre. I was happy we took a punt on McNulty. The Reading Way. But then Baldock just didn’t really fit the profile of what we were looking for in a 4-3-3 formation, preferred by Clement. None of us could have assumed Meite would do as well as he has (current form noted) and so we became overstocked with 4 strikers plus Loader (and Novakovich on loan).

And I had genuinely expected both Obita and Harriott to come back at the start of the season which probably meant we didn’t sign a left back given Yiadom has plenty of experience at LB.

I still miss George Evans

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 08 Jan 2019 00:02

Probably one of the worst things to do to a pro is put them in the under 23's. However if they've been a disruptive influence then its the right decision. Just can't see Manone & Mcshane being those type of players.

Clear out necessary as we are losing a million a month at the moment. Can only see us going down and having to start again with administration a possibility if the Chinese withdraw. Need a miracle now from Gomes to keep us up with no goalscorer. Points deduction is also a possibility on fair play as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2019 01:19

I don't see the problem at all here. The players have been told they are not part of the first team squad so have been removed from it.

They still have full access to the facilities just not when the first team are using them. If they aren't going to be picked, then no point wasting first team resources on them. Players now have the choice to try and move or work to stay fit and leave later.

Only argument seems to be that people like Vito and don't like the fact he is on the list - assuming this isn't a fake of course.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2019 07:23

paddy20 Probably one of the worst things to do to a pro is put them in the under 23's. However if they've been a disruptive influence then its the right decision. Just can't see Manone & Mcshane being those type of players.

Clear out necessary as we are losing a million a month at the moment. Can only see us going down and having to start again with administration a possibility if the Chinese withdraw. Need a miracle now from Gomes to keep us up with no goalscorer. Points deduction is also a possibility on fair play as well

Mannone - agreed.

McShane? Nearly got in a fight with Williams on the pitch whilst captain. Gave away two late stupid penalties whilst captain. Has been sent off for stupid dangerous lunging challenges. Him I can absolutely see as a disruptive bad influence when told he's surplus.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2019 07:27

3points Pelle Clement was one of those strongly rumoured. Looks like Mannone was probably another. I suspect Barrow, given his previous with Clement, might have been another.

Pelle Clement almost moved to PEC Zwolle last summer apparently but it fell through. Pelle says he doesn’t regret the move to Reading as enjoyed his time under Stam before being frozen out and also lesrned to speak fluent English.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2019 07:51

Yep a few digs at Paul C in that interview as well

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2019 08:03

No sympathy. He was told very honestly in the summer that he could go and he chose to take his wages and stay here.

Suspect he was just waiting until Red Skull was back in a job.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2019 08:07

sandman
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
Yes he did - he signed gems such as Gravenberch and Rakels in the Jan window he was here and there were probably others I've forgotten.

Gravenberch was signed about three days before he was sacked in the summer, and was pretty clearly a Tevreden signing. I think it's fair to say that a couple of signings in January and then getting the boot for no reason isn't much of a chance to recruit.

Rakels was an owners signing as well.

Says who?

There seems to be a growing tendency to label any signing that reflects badly on a manager as 'an owners signing'.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 08 Jan 2019 08:39

genome
Hound
URZZZZ What an absolute waste of time the summer was

Walker - never plays
Yiadom - done quite well tbf but we were after him for a long time
O'Shea - OK as a backup but we needed to sign someone younger and better considering we already had the "old pro" in McShane
Meyler - never plays
Eza - permanently injured
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back
Baldock - underwhelming, doesn't feature anymore

So out of 8 signings, one has been a success, two have been meh, one has been injured the entire time and the other four have barely had a kick

Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.[/quote/]

Agree, and that should put our scouting network on notice, that they could be next...been through a number of managers but wonder if the scouting network has changed much,if at all, in that time

..and also the spotlight should be thrown on medical team as many players injured seem to be out for weeks/months..

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2019 08:55

Gomes has brought his fitness coach from Rio Ave with him. That most likely is just him wanting to have his coaching team with him but it could also be something that was identified as a issue, whether by him or by the club identifying it in negotiations as an area to develop.

I mean, people have spent the last 3 years moaning about Beasant and lo and behold, Gomes brings his goalkeeping coach as well.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 08 Jan 2019 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 08 Jan 2019 08:56

Just seen Johnny Williams has gone from Crystal Palace to Charlton.Shame. He would have been a good cheap signing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jan 2019 09:06

Cripple Creek Just seen Johnny Williams has gone from Crystal Palace to Charlton.Shame. He would have been a good cheap signing.

...assuming he could stay injury free for more than 5 minutes.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 08 Jan 2019 09:27

From Despair To Where?
Cripple Creek Just seen Johnny Williams has gone from Crystal Palace to Charlton.Shame. He would have been a good cheap signing.

...assuming he could stay injury free for more than 5 minutes.

Also totally lacked confidence, did you watch Sunderland documentary?? Worried also about new loan signing who was also pretty awful at Sunderland.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2019 09:46

Snowflake Royal
paddy20 Probably one of the worst things to do to a pro is put them in the under 23's. However if they've been a disruptive influence then its the right decision. Just can't see Manone & Mcshane being those type of players.

Mannone - agreed.

McShane? Nearly got in a fight with Williams on the pitch whilst captain. Gave away two late stupid penalties whilst captain. Has been sent off for stupid dangerous lunging challenges. Him I can absolutely see as a disruptive bad influence when told he's surplus.

McShane had previous at Hull as well

Bruce said: "You can't fault ever Paul McShane and his attitude on the pitch, he gives you everything he has got time after time.

"That makes him the cult hero he is, the supporters associate with him. They forgive a mistake because they see the effort and endeavour.

"The problem - and I can understand it - is when I don't pick him he becomes a young, angry man."

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Jan 2019 10:16

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Mannone - agreed.

McShane had previous at Hull as well

Bruce said: "You can't fault ever Paul McShane and his attitude on the pitch, he gives you everything he has got time after time.

"That makes him the cult hero he is, the supporters associate with him. They forgive a mistake because they see the effort and endeavour.

"The problem - and I can understand it - is when I don't pick him he becomes a young, angry man."

McShane once said in an interview that he had never fully trusted any manager he'd played under. He's definitely difficult, and it wouldn't surprise me if, if he's unhappy with not playing, that would communicate itself to others.

I think it's probably easier for the club/manager to say - OK once we have said you are no longer required here are the rules, rather than singling out a couple of players that they know will be trouble.

Which may then mean that a player who has done nothing wrong, other than being surplus to requirements, is going to get the same treatment as a player that is a pain in the neck.

It's probably unfair on McNulty also - but it's not like they've been walked out to the carpark by security, with their belongings in a cardboard box, with nothing more than statutory redundancy to look forward to. They'll get over it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2019 10:18

Zip
Victor Meldrew
strap Apologies if already a thread but couldn't find it.

Sims loan deal cancelled and now back at Southampton.
Edwards contract cancelled by mutual consent and now on his way to Shrewsbury on a free, (so his £1,000,000 transfer fee we paid worked out at £336/minute on the pitch ignoring salary, c/w Pelle Clement's £341!).
McShane, Meyler, McNulty and Mannone officially on transfer list.

Ejaria having a medical prior to a loan deal.

I just realised that we have so many players with a surname beginning with "M".

Thought it was a cull of players with surnames beginning with "M" and then realised that we also have Moore, Meite, McIntyre and McCleary.

If only the clear out included all of those starting with the letter "G". :wink:
Yet another manager (all the others have been sacked) is conned into thinking he is any good-what hold has that player got over somebody at the club?

“G”...hmm let me think. Nope I can’t think of anyone. Tell me Victor. How well did we do at the start of the season and how well have we done recently without any players whose surname begins with the letter G?

Was that when the "b" man and then the "M" man were scoring goals and we were conceding at the back? :wink:

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 08 Jan 2019 10:31

I think it would be a mistake to let McNulty go-probably useful in Div 1 & given there will be a massive clear out (if) when that happens to us-likely to be a starter.

That said he is one of the easier ones to ship out to Div 1 or 2.

Barrow might warrant attraction from abroad-there is definitely something wrong with his attitude-perhaps his significant other dislikes the UK.

I was surprised someone took Edwards & getting rid of Meyler, O Shea and McShane will be a problem.

Mannone might be of interest abroad.

If someone offers £3mill for Ilori , I would help him pack his bags.

5 to 6 out would be very good.

Alukho has started to show his undoubted qualities as a ten , and I would start him there ahead of Swift on Saturday.Lets face it no one else but us would be daft enough to pay the sort of level of salary, we are paying him.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 08 Jan 2019 10:36

RoyalBlue
sandman
Snowflake Royal
Gravenberch was signed about three days before he was sacked in the summer, and was pretty clearly a Tevreden signing. I think it's fair to say that a couple of signings in January and then getting the boot for no reason isn't much of a chance to recruit.

Rakels was an owners signing as well.

Says who?

There seems to be a growing tendency to label any signing that reflects badly on a manager as 'an owners signing'.

Wasn't he purchased before we had a manager?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Jan 2019 10:38

there is no room for ruth or sentiment at reading football club right now.

its sad that we are no longer that friendly, family club, with the "its all about the group ethos" but its literally life and death for us as a club right now. we must avoid relegation, our squad is bloated with weak players. we need to get rid of players.highly played players are hard to shift. so we need to make it so they really want to get away from the place. this sounds like a decent attempt at that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2019 10:40

Westwood52 I think it would be a mistake to let McNulty go-probably useful in Div 1 & given there will be a massive clear out (if) when that happens to us-likely to be a starter.

You've hit the problem there as to why letting McNulty go isn't a mistake, this is a clear-out in an attempt to re-shape the squad to avoid L1, so keeping a player who doesn't appear quite good enough for this level but probably good enough for the level below is pretty counter-productive to what is trying to be acheived.

211 posts