genome
Maneki Neko
he oozed.

Goals conceded in his league appearances during his loan here:

0, 2, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

Mental

Full debut was away to Cambridge in the League Cup - 3-1 defeat :D

In which a certain Mr Kitson scored.

I remember that game - a Reading fan made a controversial comment regarding a Cambridge players colour and the stewards were not happy, which cued a long discussion with fans explaining it was just a slip of the tongue and we are really not that type of club.. All ended well apart from the result..

He was absolutely immense in the 0-0 home draw with champions to be Portsmouth!!

Brain Traysers

Re: Confirmed Lewis Baker on Loan

by Brain Traysers » 09 Jan 2019 18:45

Our real weak spot coming into the season was creativity, especially through the middle - Swift was the only player really capable of playing a killer pass, with Bacuna and Kelly more suited to deeper roles.

I was a bit miffed at Gomes' appointment, especially given his defensively woeful Rio Ave side, but at least the appointment and subsequent loans of Baker and Ejaria are consistent with increasing the creativity in the side. It points towards us being more entertaining, I just hope it's not the opposition fans and neutrals who benefit as we lose high scoring games...

SMF

by SMF » 09 Jan 2019 19:05

paultheroyal
SCIAG Last couple of loans have gone badly for him. Maybe this one will go better. Very talented player, just needs the right manager to get the most out of him.

Saying that, the squad building this month makes little sense. I see how we could fit in one of the two loanees, but they seem to be very similar players. Don't understand going for both of them.

Just don’t understand this kind of post. One of many. Has it not occurred to anyone that the current midfield dynamos are just not very good and need a kick up the backside. Replaced with new energy, better schooling etc? Just a thought.

Agreed, in my opinion the midfield has needed an overhaul for the last 12 months, and i believe both our defensive and attacking weaknesses come from a lack of quality in midfield. Only time will tell if the two signings this week will be a success.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jan 2019 19:14

paultheroyal
SCIAG Last couple of loans have gone badly for him. Maybe this one will go better. Very talented player, just needs the right manager to get the most out of him.

Saying that, the squad building this month makes little sense. I see how we could fit in one of the two loanees, but they seem to be very similar players. Don't understand going for both of them.

Just don’t understand this kind of post. One of many. Has it not occurred to anyone that the current midfield dynamos are just not very good and need a kick up the backside. Replaced with new energy, better schooling etc? Just a thought.

Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play. Regardless of how you think Bacuna and Kelly have been playing, we can't fit five midfielders into two or three slots.

Swift and Baker have the same education.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2019 19:24

SCIAG
paultheroyal

Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play. Regardless of how you think Bacuna and Kelly have been playing, we can't fit five midfielders into two or three slots.

Agreed.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2019 19:38

SCIAG
paultheroyal

Agreed, add Aluko into the mix as well

Can't stress how much we need a winger instead of stockpiling midfielders

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Lewis baker

by KC Royal » 09 Jan 2019 19:44

Always remember seeing Upson in a game at Gillingham, which I think may have been the only time I saw him live. As said, he oozed class. He went off injured in that game and as we were 1-0 up I was worried that his absence would be a big loss but we ground it out for the rest of the game to get the win. You could tell he gave the rest of the team confidence, we didn't have to drop deep when defending like after he went off and could have won that game by more at a time when Priestfield was a tough place to go and they were looking established in the 2nd tier.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2019 19:46

Sorry, don't agree Swift's even close to a best performer. What's he delivered?

Think Gomes has got it wrong with these two, especially if he's not clearing out by of Swift, Aluko or Bacuna. They're both young and fairly unsuccessful, soft and going into a physical relegation fight.

Not at all what I think we need.

retro royal

by retro royal » 09 Jan 2019 20:08

Starting to worry Rinomohta might be moved to rightback to make space for these two, hope not as these two look a bit lightweight for the championship

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2019 20:14

retro royal Starting to worry Rinomohta might be moved to rightback to make space for these two, hope not as these two look a bit lightweight for the championship

Not sure if serious...

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Jan 2019 20:27

SCIAG
paultheroyal

How do you know Ezatolahi is favoured by Gomez?.....its not a given. Nothing seems to be a "given" at the minute at this club.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jan 2019 20:33

Snowflake Royal Sorry, don't agree Swift's even close to a best performer. What's he delivered?

A series of reliable solid performances, unlike almost everyone else in our squad.

Hasn't been at his sparkling best, hasn't created many chances, but he's been playing in quite a deep role and has been one of our best players almost by default.

Who's been better than him in the last month? Rinomhota, fine. Harriot's had a few good minutes I guess. Then the next candidates are probably Bacuna and Blackett, who have each spent the last three matches on the sidelines after getting sent off!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jan 2019 20:36

Ascotexgunner
SCIAG
paultheroyal

How do you know Ezatolahi is favoured by Gomez?.....its not a given. Nothing seems to be a "given" at the minute at this club.

Well, sure. I'm also not entirely aboard the "Ezatolahi is the saviour" train. But he's the easiest one to fit in. You can see a midfield of Ezatolahi, Ejaria, and Baker working. I can't say that for Ejaria, Baker, and any of our other midfielders, or for that matter a two of Ejaria and Baker. The next Gerrard and the next Lampard, deary me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2019 20:43

I just don't get this. We're overloaded with mediocre midfielders, so we shift two who've yet to make a single start this season, put one on the transfer list who's played less than half a dozen games and then bring in a guy who is known for not being up to it physically, didn't like Scotland and contributed to Sunderland's relegation, as well as a the next big thing from Chelsea four years ago who's delivered nothing and left Leeds because he wasn't playing because he wasn't up to it.

And they both play the same position. Which is one that Gomes has already played three different people in, two who aren't midfielders and can't be used elsewhere to any great benefit to us.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Jan 2019 20:54

Zip Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play.

Perhaps a true reflection of how poor our options were previously. Better than, though not the ultimate solution.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2019 21:04

Lower West
Zip Consensus seems to be that Rinomhota and Swift are our two best performers right now and that when he's fit Ezatolahi has to play.

Perhaps a true reflection of how poor our options were previously. Better than, though not the ultimate solution.

The options have been poor. Rinomhota has improved things but Swift remains an enigma. Will we see Ezatolahi play for us again? For now this looks our strongest midfield if all three are available.

Nothing sums up our midfield more than the erratic performances of Leandro Bacuna. His passing is so inconsistent. Every game he mixes good passes with dreadful ones. Kelly has shown a better attitude in recent appearances. He has at least worked harder but lacks creativity.

It says an awful lot that our mediocre midfield has been the least of our problems this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2019 22:24

Think there is a fair amount of complacency in the two signings and a lack of acceptance as to where we are in the table. I like the fact that Gomes has a clear idea of how he wants to play - but making up a 5 point gap and playing your way out of the bottom 3 - it’s certainly brave, but I don’t think will be successful

I think a GK who can pass the ball will be on the way. Walker will go along with Kelly (Zwolle?)/Bacuna. Interesting after that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Jan 2019 22:42

Baker AM, Ejaria on the wing?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2019 22:52

Zip
Lower West

The options have been poor. Rinomhota has improved things but Swift remains an enigma. Will we see Ezatolahi play for us again? For now this looks our strongest midfield if all three are available.

Nothing sums up our midfield more than the erratic performances of Leandro Bacuna. His passing is so inconsistent. Every game he mixes good passes with dreadful ones. Kelly has shown a better attitude in recent appearances. He has at least worked harder but lacks creativity.

It says an awful lot that our mediocre midfield has been the least of our problems this season.

I would say midfield is absolutely our biggest problem this season. It cant stop the opposition and can’t create.

Yeah defence has been shit but if you’re a full back trying to defend against two players when the guy in front of you is doing fcuk all or a centre back constantly having midfielders running at you through the central midfield unmolested you’re going to struggle.

No one bar Rinomhota can do their job properly.

Edit: so maybe we’re replacing Swift and Kelly with these lads.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Lewis baker

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jan 2019 09:17

Nameless I believe that under FIFA Rules a loan longer than 1 year technically counts as a 'permanent ' deal.
But the original club keeps ultimate ownership of the loaned player. The only implication I can find is that a player on a long loan can be loaned out again by the club to which he is on loan. So if we took this lad we could loan him out to someone else for the following season.
Fascinating....
Very strange, So if a club loan us a player for £0.5m and they turn out to be really good, we can loan them out again to another club for £2m? - I'm sure there will be a contract between the clubs that prevents this, but an interesting way moving money around between clubs without actually moving money.

259 posts