CONFIMRED - Nelson Oliveira

725 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Nelson Oliveira

by andrew1957 » 21 Jan 2019 15:35

Hound sounds like a good chance of this happening anyway. Lots of reports of medicals etc

I quite like all of Baldock, Bod and Meite, but their seasons have been wrecked by constant minor injuries. Baldock's fitness record particularly is pathetic

This of course could be the real reason for the loan. If say Meite is going to be out for the rest of the season we could be short - especially as the other two have also had injuries. Personally I think Bod has been good whenever I have seen him this season and I would play him if fit but Oliviera might be useful off the bench.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2019 15:38

andrew1957
Stranded
Sutekh
Weren't a fair number of those 40 apps last season actually sub apps?

Also what was Oliviera's scoring rate for the season before last?

Isn't part of the problem at Norwich actually that he and Farke don't see eye to eye over the tactics being used there now as they don't fit Oliviera's style?

Anyone able to confirm if that is reasonably accurate or whether I'm talking a load of old cordwangle?

According to Transfermarkt: He was in the squad 40 times, with 37 apps for his 8 goals.

Played a total of 2,449 minutes with a goal every 306 minutes.

Similar form would see him score 5 times before the end of the season assuming he plays every minute.

This backs up my point. If he plays all of the last 18 games and scores 5 will that be more effective than the 18 that Meite/Bod and Baldock scored between them in the first 23 games of this season.

That isn't a really cogent argument. We have muddled through with a number of strikers playing in a different style, we have changed the way we play markedly since Gomes joined. Is Oliveria better than the options we have to play in this new style, I would argue he is and more importantly the manager of the club does.

We owe none of the players here anything now, we have 2 awful seasons with them in the team so if we can add to that with someone who the manager thinks fits his system then let's go for it.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Jan 2019 15:58

Stranded
andrew1957
Stranded
According to Transfermarkt: He was in the squad 40 times, with 37 apps for his 8 goals.

Played a total of 2,449 minutes with a goal every 306 minutes.

Similar form would see him score 5 times before the end of the season assuming he plays every minute.

This backs up my point. If he plays all of the last 18 games and scores 5 will that be more effective than the 18 that Meite/Bod and Baldock scored between them in the first 23 games of this season.

That isn't a really cogent argument. We have muddled through with a number of strikers playing in a different style, we have changed the way we play markedly since Gomes joined. Is Oliveria better than the options we have to play in this new style, I would argue he is and more importantly the manager of the club does.

We owe none of the players here anything now, we have 2 awful seasons with them in the team so if we can add to that with someone who the manager thinks fits his system then let's go for it.

I am not going to persist arguing so this is my last post on the subject but it seems to me that 18 goals from our strikers (most of Meite's goals came when he was playing as the one up front) is a pretty good return in the first half season - despite the midfield problems and the lack of creativity. To me the issue was that none of the midfield were chipping in with goals (good to see Swift and Aluko getting one recently) and they were not creating enough. Both Bod and Meite have at times (before injuries) held the ball up well.

But as I say we don't know how serious the fitness issues are for Bod/Meite and Baldock (if he is injured). If we don't expect any of them to play much we might need Oliveira but for me that would not be at the expense of a fit Bodvarsson.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 21 Jan 2019 16:36

Hoping that this one comes off...would be a shrewd signing...guy has a lot to prove, given his last year at Norwich and the supposed reasons for his removal from 1st team participation...can only work in Readings favour if he wants to rise from the flames and remake a name for himself...imho hes better than we have up front so his goals could be crucial in remainder of the season ...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Jan 2019 16:49

Burnley, Huddersfield, Boro all (allegedly) interested

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 21 Jan 2019 17:33

Snowball Burnley, Huddersfield, Boro all (allegedly) interested

Funny that ..Newsnow that does a sweep of all latest football news by club and/or player...nothing at all related to your post..all Donald says " fake news"!

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 21 Jan 2019 17:43

Heard he was our second choice. Apparently we got rejected from Goncalo Gregorio and went for Oliveira instead. Don't know how true this is but it's from a freelance journalist in Portugal.

Let's hope we get Oliveira to sign on loan until the end of the season though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2019 17:44

Hound sounds like a good chance of this happening anyway. Lots of reports of medicals etc

I quite like all of Baldock, Bod and Meite, but their seasons have been wrecked by constant minor injuries. Baldock's fitness record particularly is pathetic

It really doesn't matter. He'll be injured before the end of February.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 21 Jan 2019 18:56

andrew1957
TiagoIlori
andrew1957
Not nearly as idiotic as your user name will be if Ilori leaves next week.

Seriously I am not sure what part of what I said is "idiotic". It is generally agreed that midfield has been the cause of our problems most of this season and I referred to the fact that things were getting better under Gomes (have added those words for the hard of thinking). If the midfield creates nothing it is hard for any striker to regularly score but despite this most of our goals have come from Bodvarsson, Meite and Baldock this season.

Over the years RFC have had far more loan failures than successes and I am not a great lover of loans unless you are really stuck. We needed a player like Ejaria and we could do with a top keeper, but apart from that I would have stuck with what we had. Having said this I will be delighted if Oliveira proves me wrong and scores 10 to keep us up.

Because the midfield is generally playing well under Gomes, we are creating plenty of opportunities but we don’t have a forward who’s capable of leading the line consistently. Meite is not a striker, Baldock can’t play on his own and Bod is good but injury prone and can be really frustrating in front of goal(inconsistent). We have very few players that provide goals on a consistent basis, which Oliveira had a proven track record of in the championship before what we can only assume a fallout with Farke happened.

We are really stuck that’s the thing, we severely lack a striker and have done for years. I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t see that. The midfield can only do so much, if we have a striker incapable of leading the attack consistently we won’t score goals. Nor should a top keeper be priority as Jaakkola’s distribution is improving every week and he’s the best shot stopper we have.

Yes a top striker would be great BUT Oliveira scored 8 from 40 games last season and as far as I can see has yet to play this season at all. All of Baldock (5 from 21), Meite (6 from 25) and Bod (7 from 17 games) have a better scoring record this season than Oliveira did last season and it will be surprising if he is even match fit. You must know something I don't!!!

Agree with this, like baldock in the summer, he's a decent player but not a huge upgrade on what we already have (along with not being match fit and having massively fallen out with his current manager)so just adds another body to an already bloated squad.
Hopefully he'll work out though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2019 19:34

Probably about as good as we could do and as a loan it's a pretty good move.

I like Bod, but his fitness is atrocious. His scoring record here is actually really good, but I think it's rather boosted by an uncharacteristic purple patch. He doesn't get enough chances, and that's only partly midfield's fault.

I like Meite, but he's got fitness problems and he is just a big raw battering ram... doesn't strike me as fitting Gomes' style at all. I also think his pre-injury form wasn't sustainable (no shit that 6 goals in 7 or whatever isn't sustainable).

I like Loader, but he's not ready and he's not contributing enough. He needs more u23 games or a good loan before coming back for another crack.

Baldock's alright, but he also has fitness problems, isn't scoring a lot and doesn't seem to be in favour or fit Gomes' style.

I like McNulty, but he doesn't fit Gomes' shape and isn't really up to a relegation fight in a level or two above what he's used to. Plus he's been told he's surplus to requirements it seems.

Decent chance Oliveira will be a waste of space given our record with loanee strikers (Vydra, Grabban, Martin, Sharp etc), but he could be the spark we need.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jan 2019 20:07

BASIL (d’oliveira)

good opportunity for us and him

BA
BAS
BASL

BASIL!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2019 02:47

andrew1957 I am not going to persist arguing so this is my last post on the subject
Over the years RFC have had far more loan failures than successes
I think it would send the wrong message to our contracted players. It would effectively say that the new manager felt they are all useless which will hardly help morale. If Oliveira flops and other strikers lose motivation we are even more likely go down.

1. There are no arguments in here. It's friendly discussion. :wink:
2. Previous years failures aren't really predictive of future years.
3. Signals/messages is fans-speak and oft-cited in forums, but less relevant in reality. He's allowed to evaluate who is of use. If Bod lost 'motivation', younger players would laugh at him. If anything, he should double-down. They are pro's in pro sports, which they chose. He know's it. They've been used to pyramids and hurt feelings since they were young.

In 46 Champ games twice a week, Bod is a china doll. It's not for everyone. An old grizzled coach once told me: 'One of the top 3 attributes you can have, is your availability. If you don't have that, and I'm paying you, and I need to win games, then you are of no use to me'.

Anyway, Oliveira on loan, small risk, may the best man win.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 Jan 2019 05:49

andrew1957
TiagoIlori
andrew1957
Not nearly as idiotic as your user name will be if Ilori leaves next week.

Seriously I am not sure what part of what I said is "idiotic". It is generally agreed that midfield has been the cause of our problems most of this season and I referred to the fact that things were getting better under Gomes (have added those words for the hard of thinking). If the midfield creates nothing it is hard for any striker to regularly score but despite this most of our goals have come from Bodvarsson, Meite and Baldock this season.

Over the years RFC have had far more loan failures than successes and I am not a great lover of loans unless you are really stuck. We needed a player like Ejaria and we could do with a top keeper, but apart from that I would have stuck with what we had. Having said this I will be delighted if Oliveira proves me wrong and scores 10 to keep us up.

Because the midfield is generally playing well under Gomes, we are creating plenty of opportunities but we don’t have a forward who’s capable of leading the line consistently. Meite is not a striker, Baldock can’t play on his own and Bod is good but injury prone and can be really frustrating in front of goal(inconsistent). We have very few players that provide goals on a consistent basis, which Oliveira had a proven track record of in the championship before what we can only assume a fallout with Farke happened.

We are really stuck that’s the thing, we severely lack a striker and have done for years. I don’t know what to tell you if you don’t see that. The midfield can only do so much, if we have a striker incapable of leading the attack consistently we won’t score goals. Nor should a top keeper be priority as Jaakkola’s distribution is improving every week and he’s the best shot stopper we have.

Yes a top striker would be great BUT Oliveira scored 8 from 40 games last season and as far as I can see has yet to play this season at all. All of Baldock (5 from 21), Meite (6 from 25) and Bod (7 from 17 games) have a better scoring record this season than Oliveira did last season and it will be surprising if he is even match fit. You must know something I don't!!!

Because of his fallout with Farke which led to a change in attitude. This is apples and oranges but Bradley Dack was not good in his final season at Gillingham, shadow of his former self the next season he won player of the year. If a half arsed Nélson Oliveira got 8 goals who knows how many he’d get fully motivated. Baldock is a penalty merchant, Meite and Bod had purple patches hence their goals are inflated. Oliveira is known for having a bit of everything as a striker.

Norwich fans do not doubt his talent, it’s clear Oliveira had a fallout with Farke at some point causing a shift in attitude which will the the deciding factor of whether he will be a success or not. Vydra and Grabban were played out of position, and especially for Vydra he made runs that his teammates simply couldn’t read. Martin wasn’t rated by derby fans anymore even with a good attitude. I honestly don’t think we’ll get a much better striker than Nelson Oliveira, who wasn’t so long ago rated as one of the best strikers in the league and arguably still is.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Jan 2019 06:52

TiagoIlori
andrew1957
TiagoIlori Because the midfield is generally playing well under Gomes, we are creating plenty of opportunities but we don’t have a forward who’s capable of leading the line consistently. Meite is not a striker, Baldock can’t play on his own and Bod is good but injury prone and can be really frustrating in front of goal(inconsistent). We have very few players that provide goals on a consistent basis, which Oliveira had a proven track record of in the championship before what we can only assume a fallout with Farke happened.

Because of his fallout with Farke which led to a change in attitude. This is apples and oranges but Bradley Dack was not good in his final season at Gillingham, shadow of his former self the next season he won player of the year. If a half arsed Nélson Oliveira got 8 goals who knows how many he’d get fully motivated. Baldock is a penalty merchant, Meite and Bod had purple patches hence their goals are inflated. Oliveira is known for having a bit of everything as a striker.

Norwich fans do not doubt his talent, it’s clear Oliveira had a fallout with Farke at some point causing a shift in attitude which will the the deciding factor of whether he will be a success or not. Vydra and Grabban were played out of position, and especially for Vydra he made runs that his teammates simply couldn’t read. Martin wasn’t rated by derby fans anymore even with a good attitude. I honestly don’t think we’ll get a much better striker than Nelson Oliveira, who wasn’t so long ago rated as one of the best strikers in the league and arguably still is.

Not true. It's a nice excuse but it doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Vydra was put through on goal several times when he was here and he couldn't finish to save his life.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2019 07:27

Both statements are true. Clarke mishandled Vydra who is mentally weak and it destroyed his game.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Jan 2019 09:29

TiagoIlori
andrew1957
TiagoIlori Because the midfield is generally playing well under Gomes, we are creating plenty of opportunities but we don’t have a forward who’s capable of leading the line consistently. Meite is not a striker, Baldock can’t play on his own and Bod is good but injury prone and can be really frustrating in front of goal(inconsistent). We have very few players that provide goals on a consistent basis, which Oliveira had a proven track record of in the championship before what we can only assume a fallout with Farke happened.

That's about right to be fair. I would have thought the greater concern would be whether Oliveira is actually match fit having only played a few games this season for Norwich under 23s. It's a big ask to join a relegation battle without any real competitive game time.

On the plus side I don't think that will bother Oliveira that much. He is a very confident player. Don't expect any passes from him. When he gets the ball there is only one thing that's going to happen if he receives it in the attacking half. He's heading straight for goal or to engineer a position where he can get a shot off, bit like Robben.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jan 2019 11:38

Think that’s the first and last time anyone will ever say Nelson Olivieria is “a bit like Robben” :shock: :lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jan 2019 13:38

I know f all about him, but for a centre forwards his goal stats don't look good. Hope we are not spunking a whole bunch of cash on him

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Jan 2019 20:44

The carabao cans are out, looks like this is about to be announced.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2019 20:46

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome Smudger says a deal isn't imminent, so put your house on it being announced before 5pm.

Whilst his wi-fi is down......

In B&Q.

HAHAHAHA Smudger has announced he's in Basingstoke picking up the kids HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

725 posts