On this day

413 posts
Barney
Hob Nob Regular

Re: On this day

by Barney » 22 Dec 2018 19:37

More importantly, on this day, 28 years ago, the great Robin Friday passed away.

No question. Greatest player EVER to wear the hoops. RIP Robin.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Dec 2018 15:16

Let’s head back to today in 2010, where a whole host of past, present and future Royals were part of the action at Hull...

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/281210.html

Simon Church's late leveller earned Reading a point against Hull and nudged the Royals into the play-off spots. Robert Koren hit the post for Hull before James Harper put the Tigers ahead against his old club with a stunning long-range strike. Hull keeper Vito Mannone then saved a Shane Long penalty after Long had been fouled by Paul McShane. But the keeper turned villain when he palmed Ian Harte's free-kick straight to Church, who scored from close range. The hosts started brightly and Royals keeper Adam Federici was called into action twice in the early stages, first to tip Kamil Zayatte's flick around the post and then to make a smart save from Koren's strike from the edge of the area. Koren beat Federici with his next strike from the edge of the box but this time he was denied by a post.

Reading felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Noel Hunt went down under a challenge from Zayatte, but referee David Foster turned away the appeals. Harper then put Hull in front in the 39th minute with a wonderful goal, the former Royals midfielder collecting the ball and unleashing a shot from 25 yards that sailed past Federici. Hull almost grabbed a second before half-time but Stewart's deflected strike came back off a post. At the start of the second half, confusion reigned when Andy Griffin tackled Jay Simpson on the edge of the Reading area and one of the referee's assistants flagged for a penalty, despite Foster being unmoved. After almost a five-minute delay, play resumed with a drop ball. Reading were eventually awarded a penalty in the 64th minute when McShane made a rash challenge on Long - but the Irishman saw his effort brilliantly saved by Mannone. However the keeper, on loan from Arsenal, was at fault when Church scored a deserved equaliser in the 82nd minute. Mannone could only palm Harte's inswinging free-kick into the path of Church, who netted from a yard out as both sides extended their unbeaten streak to eight matches.
BBC Sport

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 28 Dec 2018 21:38

28th Dec 1993. Reading play a top-of-the-table clash at home to Stockport County. With Elm Park limited to 12500, and the home turnstiles locked, the previously sparsely populated away end suddenly gains another 1000 or so "away" supporters, who very sportingly applaud both of Reading's goals in a 2-0 home victory.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Dec 2018 21:52

.....and just look at where Stockport are now

.....and ‘we’ worry about us right now

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 28 Dec 2018 21:53

tmesis 28th Dec 1993. Reading play a top-of-the-table clash at home to Stockport County. With Elm Park limited to 12500, and the home turnstiles locked, the previously sparsely populated away end suddenly gains another 1000 or so "away" supporters, who very sportingly applaud both of Reading's goals in a 2-0 home victory.

I was there. County supporting mate and his brother also came along. Wore my new coat.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 28 Dec 2018 23:17

tmesis 28th Dec 1993. Reading play a top-of-the-table clash at home to Stockport County. With Elm Park limited to 12500, and the home turnstiles locked, the previously sparsely populated away end suddenly gains another 1000 or so "away" supporters, who very sportingly applaud both of Reading's goals in a 2-0 home victory.

That’s because there were loads of us in the town end including a very drunk me. We got there just before kick off all gates were locked except the away end. We were asked Stockpot or Reading? Er Stockpot and they let us in. :D

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Jan 2019 11:53

Watford, Jan 2012

Watched in the Friendship in Fallowfield. General consensus was that Le Fondre's excellent winner 'stole' that game.

Yeah, we stole a lot of games that season.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Jan 2019 09:58

Loads of games on 17th of January over the years. The highlight has to be a 2-0 win at the Co*nty Ground, though. Swindle, remarkably, managing to be worse that one of the worst Reading teams in a generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMIAd2ZLfc (goals at 1:10 and 2:15)

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Jan 2019 10:08

May have actually gone to that game - we were sat right at the corner of the RFC fans, about the same angle as the camera to the left of the goal. Definitely remember that first goal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2019 10:10

Think I can see me but can't be sure, remember I was made to leave this game early because my non-football father was convinced that there would be "huge riots" after the game.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Jan 2019 10:27

Jerry St Clair Loads of games on 17th of January over the years. The highlight has to be a 2-0 win at the Co*nty Ground, though. Swindle, remarkably, managing to be worse that one of the worst Reading teams in a generation.

Is there a finer sight in football than Nicky Hammond in trousers?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 17 Jan 2019 17:01

John Smith
Jerry St Clair Loads of games on 17th of January over the years. The highlight has to be a 2-0 win at the Co*nty Ground, though. Swindle, remarkably, managing to be worse that one of the worst Reading teams in a generation.

Is there a finer sight in football than Nicky Hammond in trousers?

That was an epic day out. Packed away end and the highlight of an otherwise dreadful season.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Feb 2019 10:18

oof

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/070204.html

"When will Mr Madejeski finally wake up to the fact he has employed a manager who has never achieved anything and not likely to.Sorry Mr Coppell you have lot to learn about being a motivator and both player and fans responsive.If you get down from the stands and really get amongst it and stop this constance patrionising of the management of the opposition and roll your own sleeves up we just might achieve something. "

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Feb 2019 10:38

Ah, back when Nick Newbury commented on absolutely every match report. Halcyon days.

Was he ever a nobber?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Feb 2019 11:19

stealthpapes oof

"When will Mr Madejeski finally wake up to the fact he has employed a manager who has never achieved anything and not likely to.Sorry Mr Coppell you have lot to learn about being a motivator and both player and fans responsive.If you get down from the stands and really get amongst it and stop this constance patrionising of the management of the opposition and roll your own sleeves up we just might achieve something. "

Is that the same Terry I.O.W. who phones into Radio Berkshire after every game?*

*Guy who phones in to Radio Berkshire, may not actually be called Terry...

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 08 Feb 2019 04:26

I remember losing 3-0 at home to Wimbledon around new year time. every call on radio Berks wanted SC out. Clueless he had taken a team who were third to outside the playoffs. Not me I wasn't happy though I always felt e should stick with SC and for once I was right as was SJM.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Feb 2019 08:46

stealthpapes oof

I went to that game. We were awful. Millmoor was such a lovely ground, surrounded by scrapyards, it was hard to see where the ground stopped and the scrapyard began. The ACN was on at the time and I'll never forget the comment from one of the locals that a certain player was "pretty good for a coon".

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Feb 2019 10:03

Jackson Corner I remember losing 3-0 at home to Wimbledon around new year time. every call on radio Berks wanted SC out. Clueless he had taken a team who were third to outside the playoffs. Not me I wasn't happy though I always felt e should stick with SC and for once I was right as was SJM.

A certain Mr McAnuff scored for Wimbledon that day.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Feb 2019 10:25

genome
Jackson Corner I remember losing 3-0 at home to Wimbledon around new year time. every call on radio Berks wanted SC out. Clueless he had taken a team who were third to outside the playoffs. Not me I wasn't happy though I always felt e should stick with SC and for once I was right as was SJM.

Yep, and it remains, to this day, the only game I have ever left early.

Leigerwood was also in the team IIRC and it was on Boxing Day.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Feb 2019 10:50

Hendo
genome

Yep, and it remains, to this day, the only game I have ever left early.

Leigerwood was also in the team IIRC and it was on Boxing Day.

The 0-4 against Ipswich last season is the only game I've ever left early.

413 posts