Gomes after 10 League Games

252 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Gomes after 10 League Games

by Snowball » 02 Mar 2019 20:03

I said Day One I would ignore his first two games , and I’m ignoring the FA Cup game at Old Trafford

So he started with a bad home defeat

1-4 Swansea
2-0 Forest
1-2 Derby
1-1 Bolton
0-0 Villa
0-0 Wednesday. (6 pts from 1-6)
2-1 Blackburn. (9 from 2-7)
0-4 Sheffield Utd (6 from 3-8)
1-1 Rotherham. (7 from 4-9)
2-1 Ipswich. (9 from 5-10)

10-15

Two late concessions cost us 4 points!

P10 W3 D4 L3 13 Points = 1.3 ppg.

Last six games, 9 points @ 1.5 ppg , our only defeat, beaten by the club TOP of the form table

Last nine games W3 D4 L2 9-11 13 points
At a rate of 1.44 ppg (66 point season equivalent)

We are 12th in the form table for the last 6 games, just above Rotherham who have W1 D5, so maybe catching them and going above them is a reasonable achievement after all

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Mar 2019 20:11

Stats are stats

Chopping and changing does us no good

Give the bloke two full seasons

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Mar 2019 20:39

I have no idea what those stats say or what the point you're trying to make but I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by Gomes. I thought he'd be atrocious based on his odd history. The same old frailties are still there but it looks like have some sort of plan in bits and is better to watch than Stams total football.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Mar 2019 20:53

Only 3 of those games were against teams in the top 10. We still have the other 7 left to play.

Millwall and QPR should not be excluded. Managers pick the team on the day. Set out the tactics.

Under Gomes against the teams around us, P4 W1 D2 L1 . Those are the stats that will determine the outcome of the season. As easy points are going to be few and far between.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Mar 2019 21:41

3 wins 4 draws and 2 defeats from the last 9 is solid form. Today’s result has made a huge difference to his performance so far

Next 2 home games massive. 4 points from those and would definitely feel there is a bit of momentum

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 02 Mar 2019 21:58

I like it at the moment. There are lots of good things about Jose:
    He has played the same team two games in a row.
    He handled the Mings incident with a bit of class.
    He says we need to win games.
    He is playing the five players he brought into the club.
    I really like the way Swift is playing.
    The goalie is great.

Come on. We thoroughly deserve a relegation, but at least we have a manager in place who recognises the need to get the young players involved and hasn;t bought us an Aluko, Drenthe or Pog yet.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Mar 2019 22:36

AthleticoSpizz Stats are stats

Chopping and changing does us no good

Give the bloke two full seasons

This. Look at Brentford and Smith. Bristol and Johnson. Norwich and Farke. Even Hull and Adkins, IMO managers need time to implement their style and ideas. I wasn't happy with Gomes but getting behind him was the correct thing to do and now we've lost 1 in 7. Looks like (fingers crossed) progress being made

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Mar 2019 00:29

I hope my posing the OP isn’t seen to imply I’m advocating CHANGE

I am more than happy with Gomes

Was just pointing out that his stats ARE improving and are better than Clement

Even with this exact squad I would imagine he would comfortably get us 1.5 ppg in a new season.

When he can address the weaknesses (in particular central midfield) I could easily see him managing us to a top six place.

Yes I’m aware we have loanees etc, but if he/his team found good ones once, he/they can do the same again.

No question I’d take Martinez, Miazga, Oliveira on permanents. I like Elijara and Baker too!

We should remember this turn-round includes a lot of dead wood going (and more in the summer, no doubt)

What Gomes and the club has done is very good indeed.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Mar 2019 01:07

Lower West Only 3 of those games were against teams in the top 10. We still have the other 7 left to play.

Millwall and QPR should not be excluded. Managers pick the team on the day. Set out the tactics.

Under Gomes against the teams around us, P4 W1 D2 L1 . Those are the stats that will determine the outcome of the season. As easy points are going to be few and far between.

That (bold) is a bit silly. On the one hand we are saying managers need a couple od seasons
and a few transfer windows, yet you're saying a manager can come in, and on virtually zero
training/coaching CHANGE a team?

Some here think we shouldn't look until a manager has 6-8 games (very reasonable)
and judge the games AFTER the 6-8. I agree, but settled for the absolute minimum of two,
and set out my stall, saying so before a Gomes team had kicked a ball.

Had we won at Millwall and QPR I'm pretty sure many would have said,
"That's a Clement team, and the wins are down to him."

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Mar 2019 08:46

It's not silly at all.

Particularly when the Millwall game was lost within the first 20 minutes due to his tactics leaving us a goal and a man down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2019 09:22

Thanks to narrowly squeeking a late win against the worst team in the league in a pretty easy run of games he's on target in terms of improving results.

I dont really like his team selection or style of play, but hes currently doing the business.

Needs to sustain it over the next run of harder games though.

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 03 Mar 2019 09:46

Nice stats ! ... Maybe get a new calculator though :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2019 10:02

Snowball
Lower West Only 3 of those games were against teams in the top 10. We still have the other 7 left to play.

That (bold) is a bit silly. On the one hand we are saying managers need a couple od seasons
and a few transfer windows, yet you're saying a manager can come in, and on virtually zero
training/coaching CHANGE a team?

Some here think we shouldn't look until a manager has 6-8 games (very reasonable)
and judge the games AFTER the 6-8. I agree, but settled for the absolute minimum of two,
and set out my stall, saying so before a Gomes team had kicked a ball.

Had we won at Millwall and QPR I'm pretty sure many would have said,
"That's a Clement team, and the wins are down to him."

Did they say Clement's early wins were Stam's? Because I dont remember that happening. And he didnt take straight over from Clement so its as much Marshalls.

It's fair not to expect too much from the first couple of games if the managers had little time with the team to implement anything, but they can motivate the players and make selections, which can have positive or negative affects.

Worth factoring them out until hes got a goodly number of games under his belt, but beyond now they should go back in the mix IMO.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Mar 2019 10:42

If I have no time machine and before the first two league games
are played
, I say I am going to ignore them, then I ignore them.

Simples!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Mar 2019 11:06

1 loss in 7, not bad.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Mar 2019 11:23

I'm not anti Gomes. However I've seen little to suggest he's in anyway a better coach than Clement tactically. The question I would pose is if we are relegated. Was the switch of management teams worthwhile? Clement would have been the ideal candidate to bring the U23's through given his coaching credentials.

Interesting there's no Director of Football appointment as yet. Even Gomes could do with some fatherly advice.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Mar 2019 11:43

sandman It's not silly at all.

Particularly when the Millwall game was lost within the first 20 minutes due to his tactics leaving us a goal and a man down.

Ok - even if you factor in Millwall and QPR our form is still mid table under Gomes.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Mar 2019 11:47

Snowflake Royal Thanks to narrowly squeeking a late win against the worst team in the league in a pretty easy run of games he's on target in terms of improving results.

I dont really like his team selection or style of play, but hes currently doing the business.

Needs to sustain it over the next run of harder games though.

The pressure/tension games at this time of season are against the sides directly who you are competing with in the league, I'll be pleased when Wigan is over as it's the last one .

We've actually done ok against mid table/upper mid table sides recently and I'd expect us to pick up results against Preston, Stoke, Brentford and co .

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Mar 2019 11:58

Snowball I hope my posing the OP isn’t seen to imply I’m advocating CHANGE

Even with this exact squad I would imagine he would comfortably get us 1.5 ppg in a new season.

When he can address the weaknesses (in particular central midfield) I could easily see him managing us to a top six place.

Yes I’m aware we have loanees etc, but if he/his team found good ones once, he/they can do the same again.

No question I’d take Martinez, Miazga, Oliveira on permanents. I like Elijara and Baker too!

We should remember this turn-round includes a lot of dead wood going (and more in the summer, no doubt)

Your leaps of faith are incredible.
With this squad 1.5 points per game and with just a few changes a top 6 finish eh?
Is that in The Championship or Div 1 ?? :wink: .

Also in your first post you say about 4 points lost at the end of games but you make no mention of 4 points gained in our last two games.
A sense of balance might make more sense.

As with most posters on here I like Gomes and hope he keeps us up and then gets the funds to improve the squad-then we can talk about top half finishes rather than spout such nonsense now when survival is everything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2019 12:57

Victor Meldrew
Snowball I hope my posing the OP isn’t seen to imply I’m advocating CHANGE

Your leaps of faith are incredible.
With this squad 1.5 points per game and with just a few changes a top 6 finish eh?
Is that in The Championship or Div 1 ?? :wink: .

Also in your first post you say about 4 points lost at the end of games but you make no mention of 4 points gained in our last two games.
A sense of balance might make more sense.

As with most posters on here I like Gomes and hope he keeps us up and then gets the funds to improve the squad-then we can talk about top half finishes rather than spout such nonsense now when survival is everything.

Also worth pointing out that almoat winning but not has hardly arrived with Gomes. It's not new or an improvement... its a continuation of the same pattern established from game 1 this season.

252 posts