More rule fiddling

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: More rule fiddling

by Forbury Lion » 05 Mar 2019 17:03

If they want to speed up substitutions, The ref could blow the whistle after 10 seconds and let play continue. The player being subbed is not allowed to touch the ball and the new player can't come on until the player being subbed walks off the pitch at the dugout area... that'll see an end to slow exits.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Mar 2019 17:14

A surprising proposal is expected to be put up for discussion which would mean that penalties are “one shot” – and that there will be no rebounds if the kick is saved or strikes the goal-frame and bounces back into play.

It would mean that goals such as the one scored by Paul Pogba for Manchester United against Everton in the Premier League last Sunday would be ruled out. In that match Pogba’s penalty was saved by goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, but the midfielder scored from the rebound.

If such a change was made it would mean that the ball would be deemed “dead” once the keeper had blocked the penalty and a goal-kick would be awarded. It would be the same as in a shoot-out and would do away with the problem of players encroaching.

This is the sort of thing I'd expect to read on April Fool's Day. So because officials, particularly assistants, can't or won't flag for encroachment, we have to change a different a long-standing rule instead? Start officiating penalties properly and encroachment wouldn't be an issue. Indeed it needn't be at all next season in the Premier League with VAR.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Mar 2019 17:21

Sanguine A surprising proposal is expected to be put up for discussion which would mean that penalties are “one shot” – and that there will be no rebounds if the kick is saved or strikes the goal-frame and bounces back into play.

It would mean that goals such as the one scored by Paul Pogba for Manchester United against Everton in the Premier League last Sunday would be ruled out. In that match Pogba’s penalty was saved by goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, but the midfielder scored from the rebound.

If such a change was made it would mean that the ball would be deemed “dead” once the keeper had blocked the penalty and a goal-kick would be awarded. It would be the same as in a shoot-out and would do away with the problem of players encroaching.

WTAF?! that's the kind of sh*t that earns the governing body no friends whatsoever

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Mar 2019 17:24

windermereROYAL
Hendo
windermereROYAL The way to solve the substitute problem is for the ref to add on the appropriate time, Christ it`s not rocket science is it? also do away with injury time subs, fcuking hate it when they do that.

Doing away with rebounds from pens as well I hear,

What about if a player is injured or the 'keeper gets sent off and you need to sub one on?

Hard luck, it rarely happens, mostly its just to run the clock down.

:|

So if someone goes in for a bad challenge, slightly mistimes it and breaks someone else's leg (thinking of Evan's v Wigan a couple of seasons ago), that team should go down to 10 men because they can't make a sub, and then it results in them conceding a last minute winner in the last game of the season, which means they miss out on the automatic promotion /play-offs/get relegated, thats ok is it?

Just because it rarely happens, isn't justification for making it a law :|

Players also run the clock down by taking the ball into the corner, do you also want to ban players from entering the corner area in stoppage time?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Mar 2019 17:26

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine A surprising proposal is expected to be put up for discussion which would mean that penalties are “one shot” – and that there will be no rebounds if the kick is saved or strikes the goal-frame and bounces back into play.

WTAF?! that's the kind of sh*t that earns the governing body no friends whatsoever

Not happening, it was previously picked up but didn't move on from the initial discussion in November.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Mar 2019 17:30

Another new rule will no longer allow an attacking player to stand in the wall next to defenders at free-kicks after a one-metre 'exclusion zone' around the wall was also approved.

I don't like this one either.

I'm not a fan of pushing or shoving in the wall, but if an attacking team wants to put a player on the end of it who moves out of the way, then I don't see that as unfair play. And again, this is about officiating properly - if the attacking player creates a gap by pushing someone in the wall, then award a free kick against him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Mar 2019 09:29

Sanguine Another new rule will no longer allow an attacking player to stand in the wall next to defenders at free-kicks after a one-metre 'exclusion zone' around the wall was also approved.

I don't like this one either.

I'm not a fan of pushing or shoving in the wall, but if an attacking team wants to put a player on the end of it who moves out of the way, then I don't see that as unfair play. And again, this is about officiating properly - if the attacking player creates a gap by pushing someone in the wall, then award a free kick against him.

They should also make the ref have to mark out a 1m exclusion zone around the wall with his can of spray.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 06 Mar 2019 10:29

Why have they decided on a 1m exclusion when everything in football is measured in yards? Don't really have a problem with that change, having the attacking player stood 1m in front or behind still allows them to block the keeper's view and takes away any of the pushing incidents.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Mar 2019 11:43

6ft Kerplunk Why have they decided on a 1m exclusion when everything in football is measured in yards? Don't really have a problem with that change, having the attacking player stood 1m in front or behind still allows them to block the keeper's view and takes away any of the pushing incidents.

Officially all measurements are in metres now. You do get weird stuff like this however:

The corner arc
A quarter circle with a radius of 1 m (1 yd) from each corner flagpost is drawn inside the field of play.

So in FIFA land it's the same distance.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Mar 2019 13:00

6ft Kerplunk Why have they decided on a 1m exclusion when everything in football is measured in yards? Don't really have a problem with that change, having the attacking player stood 1m in front or behind still allows them to block the keeper's view and takes away any of the pushing incidents.

As I said though, why are we creating a new rule to prevent the breaking of an old one? If an attacker fouls whilst stood on the end of a wall, give a free kick.

There are some fundamental rules in football that are being changed by this fiddling. Defensive players must be 10 yards from the attacking free-kick - now, unless there is a wall in place, in which case they can't stand on a certain part of that arc.

As per my comment on the (thankfully dropped) change on penalties; referees just need to officiate encroachment properly.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Mar 2019 13:19

Bring back Blatter and his girls in tight shorts idea!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Mar 2019 13:36

Sanguine

As I said though, why are we creating a new rule to prevent the breaking of an old one? If an attacker fouls whilst stood on the end of a wall, give a free kick.

There are some fundamental rules in football that are being changed by this fiddling. Defensive players must be 10 yards from the attacking free-kick - now, unless there is a wall in place, in which case they can't stand on a certain part of that arc.

As per my comment on the (thankfully dropped) change on penalties; referees just need to officiate encroachment properly.

Maybe to clear some of the shithousing up a little.

just going by the numbers you 'have' to put an attacking player on the wall to obscure goalkeepers view (results in more goals)...so like you say they are going to be offside

Similar shithouse reducer would be attacking player can't retrieve the ball from the net after a goal

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Mar 2019 13:51

Can we get rid of players scoring then putting the ball under their arm and running back to the penalty spot as it's only done to try and look good to supporters.

Same with helping stretch opponents legs when they have cramp. Some of them can't help quick enough purely to get some credit with supporters.

Also all players should be forced into celebrating goals. None of this not celebrating against a club I was on loan at for a month 10 years ago crap

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Mar 2019 14:20

Winston Biscuit
Also all players should be forced into celebrating goals. None of this not celebrating against a club I was on loan at for a month 10 years ago crap

This reminds me that Balotelli (of all people) never celebrates his goals, as he feels he is just 'doing his job'.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Mar 2019 14:24

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit

This reminds me that Balotelli (of all people) never celebrates his goals, as he feels he is just 'doing his job'.

That is a proper 'i am better than all of you' type of statement. Very on brand for Balotelli tbf

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 06 Mar 2019 20:51

Aside from him live instagramming straight after a goal recently...... :lol:

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 Mar 2019 21:15

All of these rule changes seem needless. This fiddling reminds of some of the reasons why rugby isn't very good.

The worst one I heard was that handball no longer has to deliberate if it leads to a goal.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Mar 2019 00:39

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Mar 2019 17:33

Jack Celliers All of these rule changes seem needless. This fiddling reminds of some of the reasons why rugby isn't very good.

The worst one I heard was that handball no longer has to deliberate if it leads to a goal.

I Don’t think the change really alters anything, it just clarifies that if you stick your arm out and the ball hits it then that is handball.
You don’t have to move your arm to the ball.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 08 Mar 2019 13:30

LWJ
Winston Biscuit
LWJ They can and do, do it.

:? never seen it (aside from Sunday league etc)

Can you give me an example I could look up?

Off the top of my head, no.

Generic example if a player is injured and treated on one side of the pitch/leaves via stretcher they don't have to do it at the half way line. The player coming on always has to go on from the halfway though.

I wish I could remember the player or team involved but once at the Madejski an opposing player got injured and went off for some treatment under the East Stand. He got subbed, but crucially neither he nor the physio realised it, so when his treatment was finished he stood at the touchline asking to come back on, and getting more and more frustrated when the referee refused him permission, until it dawned on him. He then put on a pathetic limp and slowly made his way around the pitch back to the dugout to much hilarity from all.