Bftg- Wigan (h)

149 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Bftg- Wigan (h)

by SCIAG » 09 Mar 2019 18:10

One of the worst performances of the season but easily the best I have felt after a game.

Wigan got exactly what they deserved. Their manager seemed to fancy himself as the heir to Warnock.

I want Gomes's babies.

Really hope we have a couple of extra players fit for Leeds.

Royal Monkey

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by Royal Monkey » 09 Mar 2019 18:18

Agreed generally a pretty poor performance but what a finish absolute scenes in the south at the end well worth the 170 mile trip for the last 5 mins

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Mar 2019 18:22

Worst performance? You sure about that? I've seen us look much worse.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 18:24

NewCorkSeth Worst performance? You sure about that? I've seen us look much worse.

He did say one of the worse, Swansea was a street behind this one.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Mar 2019 18:24

windermereROYAL
NewCorkSeth Worst performance? You sure about that? I've seen us look much worse.

I know it says a lot about us this season but I wouldn't have put that in our top 20 worst performances.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2019 18:25

No better feeling than beating a bunch of northern shithouses with a goal deep in 7 mins of injury time as a result of their general timewasting

Got completely sucked into playing the game they wanted us to play and thought they deserved the win tbh. But no doubting our spirit and was ‘absolute scenes’ as they say at the end. Brilliant stuff. One of my best moments watching Reading

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Mar 2019 18:35

NewCorkSeth
windermereROYAL

I know it says a lot about us this season but I wouldn't have put that in our top 20 worst performances.

Most games we look good for 30-60 minutes. Today we had no threat or control and only had some very brief good spells at the ends of the match.

Admittedly we didn't have a period as bad as that twenty minutes against Swansea but we've played better than that in most of our defeats.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 18:41

SCIAG
NewCorkSeth
windermereROYAL

Most games we look good for 30-60 minutes. Today we had no threat or control and only had some very brief good spells at the ends of the match.

Admittedly we didn't have a period as bad as that twenty minutes against Swansea but we've played better than that in most of our defeats.

I`ll take a play badly and win over a play well and lose every day till the end of the season.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 09 Mar 2019 18:46

I didn’t think we were that bad......not great, but not awful! However, who gives an ox**rd?!! We beat that cheating scumbag Cook and his cynical clowns!!! URZ!!!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2019 18:50

Have to say it was a shocking performance really but when you have three quarters of your strikers crocked plus, now, most of your midfielders it’s hard to see how it could be anything much better.

All you can say is that at least the players do care and do try after all it’s not their fault if the bits missing from the squad at the moment lead to players out of position and therefore not looking at their best. However, that said, given the abundance of pace in the forward positions I find it so difficult to understand why there isn’t more going for the throat and forcing errors and bookings, if nothing else, out of opponents rather than slowing it all up and passing backwards. Guess it all comes down to not wanting to take too many risks but all the same
Now to Leeds which has no real pressure as everyone expects a loss. Just have to try their hardest and get Leeds uncomfortable and perhaps something by go well for Reading. If it is a defeat then keep the deficit to just 1 goal if nothing else.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Mar 2019 18:52

Ugly game. Ref never had control. Both teams looked league one standard on today's showing.

More injuries. Squad looks more depleted than ever.

Atmosphere like it used to be. A real boost to the players performance.

Longer term. Refreshing to see a manager with genuine passion. Will rub off onto the players. Likewise will bring all elements of the club positively.

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 09 Mar 2019 18:53

I think losing Ejaria made a big difference thought he was looking good and we were controlling the game, without being particularly threatening, until he went off.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Mar 2019 18:54

Sutekh Have to say it was a shocking performance really but when you have three quarters of your strikers crocked plus, now, most of your midfielders it’s hard to see how it could be anything much better.

Moore must be a doubt for Tuesday. Admirable to play on in such obvious discomfort.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2019 18:56

Royal Monkey I think losing Ejaria made a big difference thought he was looking good and we were controlling the game, without being particularly threatening, until he went off.

But then, after he went off, Reading continued to never look threatening until Barrow managed the equaliser.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Mar 2019 19:01

Wigan really got stuck into our midfield. It was a clear tactic to give Swift and Ejaria no time at all and it worked, with the assistance of the ref pulling up very little and absolutely refusing to give yellow cards for persistent fouling

I found it interesting as people often say we struggle against the press (imo we don’t) but we really didnt cope with them really getting physical with our midfield. Been a different game If say Eza and Rino were fit and could have coped better with the shithousery

The forward 3 were pretty weak as well. Great moments from Barrow and Meite at the end but other than that they really struggled

Emi was brilliant bar that stupid throw out. That save at 2-1 was unbelievably good.

Atmosphere and team spirit were both great and dragged us through. Longer term I’ve serious worries about how blunt we were up front and missed Oli massively (that game was made for him) but that’s for another day

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 Mar 2019 19:05

We were really lucky to win that

OK the Wigan goals were fortunate and poor defending but overall we did very little to trouble their keeper and get the 3 points.

We have to hope that this form and the returning players gives us a chance to stay up

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 09 Mar 2019 19:15

Best first ten minutes and last ten minutes for a while. Atmosphere like old days. First back to back wins for TWO YEARS, I think.

Was our manager given the yellow for chucking something?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Mar 2019 19:18

Lower West Ugly game. Ref never had control. Both teams looked league one standard on today's showing.

More injuries. Squad looks more depleted than ever.

Atmosphere like it used to be. A real boost to the players performance.

Longer term. Refreshing to see a manager with genuine passion. Will rub off onto the players. Likewise will bring all elements of the club positively.

You are right, but today was about the result way more than the performance (well actually, all our games are right now). Even teams at the top win games ugly, and that might be a nasty blow to Wigan's psyche. With our injury list (which keeps growing), it's smoke and mirrors. We had a 17 year old on the bench. Massive 3 points, and first back to back wins in 16 months.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Mar 2019 19:26

How the oxf*rd did we win that? Dreadful but out of nowhere Barrow scores and fair play we were pushing forward for the winner. Great scenes at the end. Callum Harriott take a bow. He did brilliantly when he came on and needs to start ahead of GMac on Tuesday.
The ref was appalling.

How many more injuries are we going to get? It’s becoming a nightmare.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Mar 2019 19:32

Anyone watch the game with Wigans ifollow commentary? They thought we were committing niggling fowls and trying to goad Wigan into a scrappy game, when with their class they should easily have been able to outplay us. Apparently.

149 posts