Bftg- Wigan (h)

149 posts
download

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by download » 09 Mar 2019 19:43

Terrible ref. Should have given their number three a second yellow and sent him off. Instead gave the card to the number 17 who happened to be near the foul but didn't commit it. Their number three just shrugged his shoulders and jogged off. That's one reason why it was such a sweet victory.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 09 Mar 2019 20:17

The result should not obscure a dreadful performance; yes even in this season of mediocrity; apart from a ten minute spell 1st half; I think this was the worst. Remember the Swans are a fair better team than this bunch of Wigan s**t kickers; whose only tactic was to press and foul at every opportunity.
Also the game hung on not only a fair slice of luck going our way; but the most inept refereeing performance we have had this season-he made Coote look top class.
IMHO:

Martinez: 5 A couple of top class saves, mixed with some awful decision making. On at least five occasions we had players free upfield, and he completely missed the opportunity.

Yiadom 5: Typical Andy performance. lots of effort and commitment, but never got wide and put in a cross.
Blackett 3: The worst of Tyler ; sleep walked through the game. Why does he do this ?
Moore 5 : One horror pass, and completely failed to rev up the team; but often saved us.
Miazga 4: Not at his best today; but that CF was really winding him up & the Ref completely failed to stamp his authority. In the end lucky to stay on-he was that riled.

Baker 6: MOM would be stretching it-but probably our most consistent player. Dwelt on the ball far too long when he had a chance late in the 2nd half, and a weak attempt on goal 1st half. Like to keep him though. In his own way he's a class act.

Swift 4 : Despite the free kick the worst of Johnny today. Kept on losing possession and very poor set pieces ( apart from the goal).

Ejaria 5 : Saw the best of him in that 1st half ten minutes;some superb feints and swerves out of contact. Then lost the ball in possession for their 1st (50/50 call as to whether it was a foul ).

Meite 6 : Give him his due, could not be faulted for effort.
McCleery 3 : Just dreadful.
Barrow 4: Apart from the goal; pretty bad and disinterested; once he realised the Northern s**t kickers were out to crunch him.

Loader : Out of his depth once again. Should be out on loan.
Harriot : Showed a lot more than Macca; but kept on falling over. Deserves a start; not scared to take a battering ; unlike Macca and Barrow.

Well thats three points if nothing else. We desperately need some of the more experienced players back-two very inexperienced players on the bench today. In the middle of the 2nd half, when the performance was really bad;I really did think about giving Tuesday night a miss.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Mar 2019 20:22

SCIAG One of the worst performances of the season but easily the best I have felt after a game.

Wigan got exactly what they deserved. Their manager seemed to fancy himself as the heir to Warnock.

I want Gomes's babies.

Really hope we have a couple of extra players fit for Leeds.

This might be the most perfect BFTG opener of all time. This thread should just be people saying ‘greed, although I appreciate some folks really need to post player r8ings. Best feeling at a game since WBA maybe?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Mar 2019 20:24

Silver Fox
SCIAG One of the worst performances of the season but easily the best I have felt after a game.

Wigan got exactly what they deserved. Their manager seemed to fancy himself as the heir to Warnock.

I want Gomes's babies.

Really hope we have a couple of extra players fit for Leeds.

This might be the most perfect BFTG opener of all time. This thread should just be people saying ‘greed, although I appreciate some folks really need to post player r8ings. Best feeling at a game since WBA maybe?

'greed!

oxf*rd hell we were crap. oxf*rd hell it was brilliant.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Mar 2019 20:41

Westwood52 The result should not obscure a dreadful performance

It absolutely should. We've played well and lost or drawn plenty of times so fcuk it, let's enjoy getting a 97th minute winner in a game that we didn't deserve to win, because that doesn't happen to teams who are going down.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 20:44

Pepe the Horseman
Westwood52 The result should not obscure a dreadful performance

It absolutely should. We've played well and lost or drawn plenty of times so fcuk it, let's enjoy getting a 97th minute winner in a game that we didn't deserve to win, because that doesn't happen to teams who are going down.

Don`t feed him, don`t think I`ve even seen a positive review from him, some of those marks are quite frankly laugable.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Mar 2019 20:45

What a result after a shocking display. Team was set up terribly with Barrow and McCleary sharing responsibilities up front rather than Meite.

Got even worse when Ejaria came off for Loader, who looked like he'd been asked to play as a midfielder.

Second goal poor with the mix up between Martinez and Blackett. But what a way to make up for it from Martinez with the Casillas style save to deny Powell.

We hardly created anything until the second goal with no service for Loader who was pushed up top.

Brilliant ending to the game. So pleased for Meite who deserved his goal given how The Tilehurst End tried to stitch him up for taking a picture with his mate.

Martinez - Distribution fine apart from the second goal. A couple of very good saves and one great one. 7

Yiadom - Better after a bit of a shonky performance last week. One very good run which won us a free kick. 7
Moore - Very brave to carry on with a dislocated shoulder. Defended well. 7
Miazga - Not his best display since he arrived. 6
Blackett - The usual Blackett display. Some good, some bad. 6

Ejaria - Good until he had to come off. Hope he's not out too long but knowing our luck that will be him out until the end of the season. 6
Swift - Creatively a little lacking once again but a brilliant Free Kick. 6
Baker - Went quietly about his business, outmuscled a few times by the physical Wigan side. Alert for the second goal. 6

Meite - Tried hard as usual and got his reward at the end. Gomes says he likes Yakou as a winger more than a striker but needs must at the moment, with Oliveira and Bod out, so he needs to start up front against Leeds. 7 MotM
Barrow - Disappointingly anonymous for large parts but that may be due to not knowing where he was supposed to play. Great goal. 6
McCleary - Big drop off from last week but like Barrow a lot of it down to positioning. 5

Subs:
Loader - Needs to get himself in the gym to bulk up a bit. Put himself about as much as he could against two big and physical centre backs. No chances created for him on the wings or from midfield. Did well to win the header in which James went down pretending he was injured for the second goal. Would love to see him play off Nelson and pick up the space he creates. 6
Harriott - Put a lot of running in when he came on. Great corner to set up the winner. 7

Gomes - Strange set up up front at the start and decision to play Loader deep when he initially came on. 6

Cook - Has created a team of absolute shithouses. Came with a game plan that almost worked. Happily it didn't. 5

Andy Davies - Can we make sure we never get this utter shitbag refereeing us ever again? Third time this season he's tried to screw us over. Awful referee who makes Eltringham look like Collina. -10

download

by download » 09 Mar 2019 20:47

Anyone involved in the handbags after game between the supporters ? Must admit I was very impressed with the number of police who attended. Must have pulled them from across the whole region.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Mar 2019 21:14

download Anyone involved in the handbags after game between the supporters ? Must admit I was very impressed with the number of police who attended. Must have pulled them from across the whole region.

This sounds brilliant...as a displaced fan, it great to hear the passion is back. Fully looking forward to seeing us at Stoke next week!

Cmon URZ

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 09 Mar 2019 21:17

I oxf*rd loved that.
Two consecutive Saturdays that I have lost it, limbs n all
My observations
Ref abysmal
Last minute winner :D
Their time wasting bit them in the arse.
Happy days

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 09 Mar 2019 21:25

The ref was negligibly bad today, to the point where his actions (or lack of) at times could be directly attributed to injuries.

Wigan shot themselves in the foot, as if they’d bothered trying to play football they’d have probably come away with the win.

A very sweet win

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Mar 2019 21:27

That was the first time in 85 league games that we've come from behind to win. Last time was when we beat Rotherham 2 years ago

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Mar 2019 21:59

Fcuk me.

I’m not sure what I witnessed today.

A really shitty performance for 89 minutes followed by 8 minutes of absolute carnage.

Swift and Barrow perfectly encapsulated the performance.

Both had abject games. Swift gave the ball away and ran himself into trouble continually. Barrow was ineffective. Weak on and off the ball.

Both scored goals of the highest quality.

Wtf was Gomes thinking with that formation?

But. He’s brought something to this team. He really has. I don’t want to say it - but maybe some desire? A bit of determination to not give up. Blackburn, Ipswich and Wigan.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Mar 2019 22:01

And the ref.

What a clown. At least he was totally fair to both sides in his utter incompetence.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 22:03

It does seem rather odd they we wake up in the last 10 minutes of games at home. makes you wonder why we don`t do it for previous 80.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Mar 2019 22:05

leon And the ref.

What a clown. At least he was totally fair to both sides in his utter incompetence.

To be fair he punished Wigan for their cynical timewasting by adding on 12 minutes, which was ultimately their downfall.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Mar 2019 22:51

windermereROYAL It does seem rather odd they we wake up in the last 10 minutes of games at home. makes you wonder why we don`t do it for previous 80.

It's been a definitive part of this season for us. Being shite till the going gets rough but this time it truly pais off for us. I'm delighted.

The Cube

by The Cube » 09 Mar 2019 23:17

1st goal - scored in time added on because of Wigan's time-wasting cheating. (And it should probably have been 9 minutes added instead of 5.)

2nd goal - scored following a drop-ball awarded because a disgusting Wigan cheat faked a head injury in order to stop a Reading attack. And Wigan then complained about it because they were trying to waste more time whilst playing the drop ball. Oh yes, and on the two occasions when a Reading player had a head injury, the referee chose not to stop the game.

3rd goal - scored in time added on because of Wigan's disgraceful time-wasting cheating. (And it should probably have been 15 minutes added instead of 7.)

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 09 Mar 2019 23:22

NewCorkSeth
windermereROYAL
NewCorkSeth Worst performance? You sure about that? I've seen us look much worse.

He did say one of the worse, Swansea was a street behind this one.

I know it says a lot about us this season but I wouldn't have put that in our top 20 worst performances.

You see this really crystallises how we look at ourselves atm when the metric we use to measure ourselves is the relative shitness when measured against other shit performances and whilst we're all pleased with today's result, frankly it could quite as easily have been yet another abject defeat against a bang average side.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Mar 2019 23:40

Muskrat
NewCorkSeth
windermereROYAL
He did say one of the worse, Swansea was a street behind this one.

I know it says a lot about us this season but I wouldn't have put that in our top 20 worst performances.

You see this really crystallises how we look at ourselves atm when the metric we use to measure ourselves is the relative shitness when measured against other shit performances and whilst we're all pleased with today's result, frankly it could quite as easily have been yet another abject defeat against a bang average side.

It could have been, yes, if only because we're an 'average' side ourselves. Hopefully that situation will be rectified/improved in the Summer. But for now, it's about getting over the line with what we have. Minus all the injured players, of course. We had a 17 year old boy on the bench today. (Yep, an academy player getting '1st team matchday experience', that some have been baying for). Today we beat an 'average' team, who have been above us all season, and who now - like us - are fighting for their lives. Reckon it was always going to be a close game, and so it proved. In our situation, I'm not much concerned with the 'performance' at this stage of the season myself.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Mar 2019 23:55, edited 2 times in total.

149 posts