149 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bftg- Wigan (h)

by The Royal Forester » 10 Mar 2019 12:02

RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL
leon And the ref.

What a clown. At least he was totally fair to both sides in his utter incompetence.

To be fair he punished Wigan for their cynical timewasting by adding on 12 minutes, which was ultimately their downfall.

The guy was shit! He didn't properly punish them. Merely adding time when a team is deliberately time wasting, not just to run down the clock but more importantly to break down their opponent's momentum and relieve the pressure is not acceptable, nor is it properly punishing them. Match officials should be alert to that 'tactic' and issue yellow cards early on to prevent it continuing.

I think they were properly punished, by us scoring the winner in the time added on for their time wasting. if they hadn't wasted so much time, the game would have finished before our third goal. Serves 'em right!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 12:05

Wycombe Royal
Pepe the Horseman +1 for the Baker love. Such a tidy player. Loved how he man handled Swift to put him in position for the free kick, and his quick thinking to nick the drop ball for the equaliser.

To me it appears he is a player who needs a run of games. He was pretty anonymous to start with but over the past few games he has got better and better. He is the type of player who just gets on with his game and you don’t necessarily notice anything he is doing. He just does it tidily and effectively and keeps things ticking over.

I have been really impressed by Baker in the deeper CM role in recent weeks. I thought he was a number 10 when he arrived but he's been good. Not incredible just better than most we have seen there this season.

I would love to see him and Rinomhota play together.

The thing I think he does best for us is he is constantly talking. He's always running to the ref and shouting at his teammates. We need that. We've certainly had a lack of voice in midfield and his passion is contagious. Yesterday Mick said at one point that there was no need for Baker to get involved but I think the opposite is true. He's rallying the players around him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Mar 2019 12:11

Good to see that so many posters saw it how it was-a crap game but a fabulous result.
One thing that is annoying me more and more-the apparent injuries to players.
Both sides were guilty of staying down as if they suffered a career-threatening injury and then bounced up after a drink and a cuddle apart from Ejaria who was genuinely injured..

It was interesting to hear Gomes say afterwards that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was for the front three to keep switching-this manager is prepared to explain his thoughts which is so refreshing as a change from the usual claptrap.

That's the last of the "easy" games so let's hope our patched up side can get the much needed points from the "better" teams, starting on Tuesday.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 12:19

Victor Meldrew Good to see that so many posters saw it how it was-a crap game but a fabulous result.
One thing that is annoying me more and more-the apparent injuries to players.
Both sides were guilty of staying down as if they suffered a career-threatening injury and then bounced up after a drink and a cuddle apart from Ejaria who was genuinely injured..

It was interesting to hear Gomes say afterwards that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was for the front three to keep switching-this manager is prepared to explain his thoughts which is so refreshing as a change from the usual claptrap.

Moore deserves credit too, dislocated shoulder popped back on the pitch and he then carried on playing. Bizarrely the ref failed to stop the game for that one despite being happy to do it for others where they just needed their nose wiped (I do appreciate the need to be cautious with apparent head injuries)

Gomes is incredibly open with his discussions, he explained the John O'Shea substitution afterwards as well in a logical way, even if it didn't work.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 12:23

The Royal Forester
RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL
To be fair he punished Wigan for their cynical timewasting by adding on 12 minutes, which was ultimately their downfall.

The guy was shit! He didn't properly punish them. Merely adding time when a team is deliberately time wasting, not just to run down the clock but more importantly to break down their opponent's momentum and relieve the pressure is not acceptable, nor is it properly punishing them. Match officials should be alert to that 'tactic' and issue yellow cards early on to prevent it continuing.

I think they were properly punished, by us scoring the winner in the time added on for their time wasting. if they hadn't wasted so much time, the game would have finished before our third goal. Serves 'em right!

To be honest he hardly added any time for timewasting. There were several injuries, plenty of subs and a couple of goals. The time for those was probably well over 5 mins.
Wigan were pretty cynical generally, Powell was doing all sorts of stuff right from the staff to wind up Martinez and Miazga and getting away with it, Olson was doing much the same in defence.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Mar 2019 14:03

RoyalBlue
Westwood52 Martinez: 5 A couple of top class saves, mixed with some awful decision making. On at least five occasions we had players free upfield, and he completely missed the opportunity.

A good number of those were probably due to Wigan players deliberately and cynically blocking him off. He created quite a few other opportunities with quick, accurate, long kicks when he wasn't blocked. Very harsh to only give him five. He is so much better than those keepers that we had to put up with earlier in the season. Commanded his box and produced numerous safe takes in the air, despite being under pressure. Quite frankly if his performance yesterday was only worth a five, some of the best keepers in the country would struggle to get seven, even when on top form!

Westwood, that's an interesting way of rating Martinez.
How did you used to rate Jaakola...with a bunch of 2's? After all, he really didn't 'distribute' the ball.
He often had "players free upfield, but completely missed the opportunity", which you're now hanging on Martinez.
Another thing is Martinez comes off his line more to claim balls (which is good, given our aerial deficiencies). When he catches the ball, he's then in position to make a quick decision, set up a fast break, etc.
In short, he's often in situations, and a system, that Jaakola wasn't in, and with more responsibility.
Anyway, I'd say a '5' is harsh on Martinez for yesterday..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 14:25

NewCorkSeth
Wycombe Royal
Pepe the Horseman +1 for the Baker love. Such a tidy player. Loved how he man handled Swift to put him in position for the free kick, and his quick thinking to nick the drop ball for the equaliser.

To me it appears he is a player who needs a run of games. He was pretty anonymous to start with but over the past few games he has got better and better. He is the type of player who just gets on with his game and you don’t necessarily notice anything he is doing. He just does it tidily and effectively and keeps things ticking over.

I have been really impressed by Baker in the deeper CM role in recent weeks. I thought he was a number 10 when he arrived but he's been good. Not incredible just better than most we have seen there this season.

The thing I think he does best for us is he is constantly talking. He's always running to the ref and shouting at his teammates. We need that. We've certainly had a lack of voice in midfield and his passion is contagious. Yesterday Mick said at one point that there was no need for Baker to get involved but I think the opposite is true. He's rallying the players around him.

Had been distinctly unimpressed him with, but the last two games have been a step up. Im not surr hes worth paying much to get him to stay, but hes doing well enough given the patchwork midfield around him. Would like to see how he does with a proper midfielder beside him like Rino or Eza. Think hes a bit soft still to work with Kelly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Mar 2019 14:29

Denver Royal
RoyalBlue
Westwood52 Martinez: 5 A couple of top class saves, mixed with some awful decision making. On at least five occasions we had players free upfield, and he completely missed the opportunity.

A good number of those were probably due to Wigan players deliberately and cynically blocking him off. He created quite a few other opportunities with quick, accurate, long kicks when he wasn't blocked. Very harsh to only give him five. He is so much better than those keepers that we had to put up with earlier in the season. Commanded his box and produced numerous safe takes in the air, despite being under pressure. Quite frankly if his performance yesterday was only worth a five, some of the best keepers in the country would struggle to get seven, even when on top form!

Westwood, that's an interesting way of rating Martinez.
How did you used to rate Jaakola...with a bunch of 2's? After all, he really didn't 'distribute' the ball.
He often had "players free upfield, but completely missed the opportunity", which you're now hanging on Martinez.
Another thing is Martinez comes off his line more to claim balls (which is good, given our aerial deficiencies). When he catches the ball, he's then in position to make a quick decision, set up a fast break, etc.
In short, he's often in situations, and a system, that Jaakola wasn't in, and with more responsibility.
Anyway, I'd say a '5' is harsh on Martinez for yesterday..

Martinez may have contributed to one of their goals... but he also saved a near certain one brilliantly, so anything less than a six has got to be well harsh... and distribution is an added bonus. Saves and claims are his day job.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 10 Mar 2019 15:53

download Terrible ref. Should have given their number three a second yellow and sent him off. Instead gave the card to the number 17 who happened to be near the foul but didn't commit it. Their number three just shrugged his shoulders and jogged off. That's one reason why it was such a sweet victory.

That’s exactly how I saw it as well. Olsson should have been booked for constantly moaning at the lino

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Mar 2019 16:05

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Wycombe Royal To me it appears he is a player who needs a run of games. He was pretty anonymous to start with but over the past few games he has got better and better. He is the type of player who just gets on with his game and you don’t necessarily notice anything he is doing. He just does it tidily and effectively and keeps things ticking over.

Had been distinctly unimpressed him with, but the last two games have been a step up. Im not surr hes worth paying much to get him to stay, but hes doing well enough given the patchwork midfield around him. Would like to see how he does with a proper midfielder beside him like Rino or Eza. Think hes a bit soft still to work with Kelly.

Yeah soft is fair. He's more of a Kelly or Swift. He tries and he does put in little tackles and interceptions here and there and tracks his runner but he will never "own" his man like Rinomhota or Ezatolahi are able to do.

Would I buy him if I was the manager? Not sure but he has 10 games to go and has definitely been a worthwhile loan this far.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 10 Mar 2019 16:23

Delayed BFTG
Went expecting very little but came away buzzing. The players wanted it and I thought worked hard. They tried to pull things off which didn’t always work but they never stopped trying which ultimately got us a much-needed win.

I don’t think any player played badly. Some played better than others. Thought Swift had a good game and Loader impressed me for the first time. But most importantly, I thought we looked like a team and we played like a team. Wigan were proper division 3 shithouses almost panto-like, they deserved nothing from the game. Least said about the ref the better, just shocking.

The atmosphere in the ground took me back to the “real good old days” when fans knew how to push the team on, and the players knew what it would take to get the win.

Those who say we were rubbish for 80 minutes need a reality check. We’ve not played consistently well for years, you probably need to go back as far as McDermott’s 2011/12 season for that. But I’ll except the moaners BFTG comments in exchange for 10 minutes per game of utter magic, passion and excitement, fans participation and a 3pt late goal win. I’ll take that any day.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Mar 2019 16:32

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Wycombe Royal To me it appears he is a player who needs a run of games. He was pretty anonymous to start with but over the past few games he has got better and better. He is the type of player who just gets on with his game and you don’t necessarily notice anything he is doing. He just does it tidily and effectively and keeps things ticking over.

Tall ask to expect a player such as Baker to hit the ground running. Same players need to turn out in the same positions week in week out to build any consistancy. Something we've badly lacked.

Emeraldroyal

by Emeraldroyal » 10 Mar 2019 17:49

Oilroyal Delayed BFTG
Went expecting very little but came away buzzing. The players wanted it and I thought worked hard. They tried to pull things off which didn’t always work but they never stopped trying which ultimately got us a much-needed win.

I don’t think any player played badly. Some played better than others. Thought Swift had a good game and Loader impressed me for the first time. But most importantly, I thought we looked like a team and we played like a team. Wigan were proper division 3 shithouses almost panto-like, they deserved nothing from the game. Least said about the ref the better, just shocking.

The atmosphere in the ground took me back to the “real good old days” when fans knew how to push the team on, and the players knew what it would take to get the win.

Those who say we were rubbish for 80 minutes need a reality check. We’ve not played consistently well for years, you probably need to go back as far as McDermott’s 2011/12 season for that. But I’ll except the moaners BFTG comments in exchange for 10 minutes per game of utter magic, passion and excitement, fans participation and a 3pt late goal win. I’ll take that any day.

Mate, we were RUBBISH for 80 minutes. I don’t need a reality check thank you very much.
The body language was wrong and you could see players arguing with each other. They don’t quite know what they are supposed to be doing.
But for a quality strike from Barrow and a bit of last minute momentum, we could and possibly should have been looking at a loss to a shitebag northern monkey team who are the enemy of football from what I saw yesterday.

But as others have alluded to, it was a bonkers ride and a bonkers way to win a game so in terms of being entertained yeah maybe. But the cracks are simply being papered over I’m afraid. I’m naturally cynical.

Small mention to the idiotic Wigan fans making a complete show of themselves outside the away section after the game. I sincerely hope Thames Valleys finest gave you a good shoeing. You’re an embarrassment to your club and my 10 year old son was shaking.
Shame on you.

Keep it going boys Urrrrzzzzzzz

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Mar 2019 17:52

I thought we were ok up to Ejaria going off (goal aside) and really lost our midfield shape without him.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 10 Mar 2019 18:14

Emeraldroyal
Oilroyal Delayed BFTG

Mate, we were RUBBISH for 80 minutes. I don’t need a reality check thank you very much.
The body language was wrong and you could see players arguing with each other. They don’t quite know what they are supposed to be doing.
But for a quality strike from Barrow and a bit of last minute momentum, we could and possibly should have been looking at a loss to a shitebag northern monkey team who are the enemy of football from what I saw yesterday.

But as others have alluded to, it was a bonkers ride and a bonkers way to win a game so in terms of being entertained yeah maybe. But the cracks are simply being papered over I’m afraid. I’m naturally cynical.

Small mention to the idiotic Wigan fans making a complete show of themselves outside the away section after the game. I sincerely hope Thames Valleys finest gave you a good shoeing. You’re an embarrassment to your club and my 10 year old son was shaking.
Shame on you.

Keep it going boys Urrrrzzzzzzz

So, for 80 minutes some fans thought that we looked the same as we have done under umpteen managers, 3 owners and an endless list of players over the past 5 or 6 seasons, agreed. What I don’t agree with is that they weren’t trying to put moves together and weren’t trying to make things happen in those 80 minutes. I don’t think anyone went missing in the game. Agreed things didn’t come off but no one player can be labelled as not being arsed yesterday.
You pay your money and you see the game how you want to see it. I saw a group of players, technically better than the opposition but not quite pulling things off. Wigan were just panto wasting time and playing the ref. We played to win that game from the start, took us until 80 minutes to get in the groove but we wanted a win. I paid my money and that’s how I saw it. It's a funny old game :)

Owlish52

by Owlish52 » 10 Mar 2019 18:24

For comparison, player ratings from WhoScored.com :

Starters
Martinez - 7.2
Blackett - 6.6
Moore - 7.4
Miazga - 6.9
Yiadom - 7.3
Baker - 6.3
McCleary - 6.1
Ejaria - 6.3
Swift - 7.7
Meite - 7.4
Barrow - 7.7 & MotM

Subs
Harriot - 7.2
Loader - 6.4

Edit: One Wigan player that attracted some negative comments from Reading fans was Olsson, who was rated at 6.2, third lowest of the Wigan starters.

Source: https://threeamigoswigan.com/2019/03/10 ... ng-defeat/
Screen capture from WhoScored.com at the end of the article.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 10 Mar 2019 18:33

RoyalBlue
Denver Royal
sandman For what it's worth I thought Loader did quite well at being a nuisance up front against the bigger and stronger Olsson.

As you'd know, he'd better get used to that in this div. It is what it is, and we don't get to make the rules. It will be no use us playing the sympathy card each week. But yes, he came in to it more as the game progressed.

The ref and his myopic assistant on the East Stand completely failed to notice the thug Olsson deliberately lead with his fist in an early aerial challenge with Loader, even though it was right under their noses.

Yep, that got an ooof from a lot in Y21. Loader should have made more of that.

Why did Ventura, the Ace ref waddle over from the East Stand and show Gomes yellow?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2019 18:37

Anyone think Loader should have made more of the Olsson incident? Don't know if they had a better view of it in Y21.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Mar 2019 18:46

Owlish52 For comparison, player ratings from WhoScored.com :

Starters
Martinez - 7.2
Blackett - 6.6
Moore - 7.4
Miazga - 6.9
Yiadom - 7.3
Baker - 6.3
McCleary - 6.1
Ejaria - 6.3
Swift - 7.7
Meite - 7.4
Barrow - 7.7 & MotM

Subs
Harriot - 7.2
Loader - 6.4

Edit: One Wigan player that attracted some negative comments from Reading fans was Olsson, who was rated at 6.2, third lowest of the Wigan starters.

Source: https://threeamigoswigan.com/2019/03/10 ... ng-defeat/
Screen capture from WhoScored.com at the end of the article.

Don`t tell Westwood52

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Mar 2019 18:46

Singing Defective
RoyalBlue
Denver Royal As you'd know, he'd better get used to that in this div. It is what it is, and we don't get to make the rules. It will be no use us playing the sympathy card each week. But yes, he came in to it more as the game progressed.

The ref and his myopic assistant on the East Stand completely failed to notice the thug Olsson deliberately lead with his fist in an early aerial challenge with Loader, even though it was right under their noses.

Yep, that got an ooof from a lot in Y21. Loader should have made more of that.

Why did Ventura, the Ace ref waddle over from the East Stand and show Gomes yellow?

Which incident do you mean ? Gomes got a yellow for celebrating the 3rd goal with the players.
Earlier one of the backroom staff got a yellow for a late tackle on the 4th official (probably not, but it’s as likely as anything else as it was all a bit weird)

149 posts