Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a) sponsored by Dave Kitson

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2019 09:41

When : Saturday 16th March, 3pm
Where : Bet365 Stadium, Stanley Matthews Way, Stoke On Trent, ST4 4EG
Capacity : 30,089
Away Stand : One side of the Sharp stand behind the south goal
What might I see in the area : mid table obscurity

Stoke. A middle of the country club in the middle of the table. Stoke have totally underperformed this season given the talent they have in their squad. However even an underperforming squad can be more than a match for Reading so as usual this isn’t going to be easy for the misfiring injury devastated squad of Royals.

Stoke’s form is not all that impressive with 2 wins and 5 draws from the last 13 but, as is usual with teams Reading seem to be playing at the moment, they are on an unbeaten run having not lost in the last 5. As part of that run Stoke have kept 4 clean sheets so they are obviously fairly reasonable at being defensively organised.

Sam Clucas is suspended having collected a straight red card and a 3 game ban at QPR last weekend and they have slight worries over Sam Vokes, Benik Afobe and Peter Etebo. As usual all that is the stuff of which Reading can only dream having practically a whole team of first teamers out injured of which Bod is possibly the most likely to be able to make the bench. We can hope Ejaria might have recovered enough to play but other than that I can’t see anyone else being able to put in an appearance unless Kelly has redeemed himself in these last couple of weeks.

And that really is what is going to do for Reading this season. It’s bad enough that the squad isn’t of sufficient quality to maintain comfortable safety without having most of what talent there is constantly receiving treatment and therefore unavailable to play. Continuously now for 2 years it seems that Reading’s injury list has seen a minimum of 4 or 5 first team players on the sidelines for every game which surely is more than just bad luck.

So, not an easy day expected then.

Referee

Peter Bankes is up for this one and Reading are still to collect any form of points from the away trips he has handled.

Previously

16 Dec 2017 > Ipswich Town 2-0 Reading
25 Feb 2017 > Brighton & Hove Albion 3-0 Reading
21 Jan 2017 > Derby County 3-2 Reading
30 Jan 2016 > Reading 4-0 Walsall (FA Cup)
20 Dec 2015 > Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
08 Aug 2015 > Birmingham City 2-1 Reading

Historically

The 22 previous visits to Stoke in the league have brought Reading 6 wins and 4 draws so probably not too bad for northern trek in the scheme of things. Oddly the biggest win there was 4-0 almost exactly 20 years ago however the heaviest defeat was by 5-0, exactly 90 years ago to the day.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a) sponsored by Dave Kitson

by Forbury Lion » 14 Mar 2019 09:46

I don't suppose there's any chance of us signing Mark McKeever on a temporary basis for this one?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Mar 2019 10:00

Sutekh Peter Bankes is up for this one and Reading are still to collect any form of points from the away trips he has handled.

These write ups are class to be fair to you Sutekh.

I have found myself considering the refs a lot more lately - there must be a tiny bit of reasoning as to why we haven't won away under Bankes' charge.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 14 Mar 2019 22:33

John Smith
Sutekh Peter Bankes is up for this one and Reading are still to collect any form of points from the away trips he has handled.

I have found myself considering the refs a lot more lately - there must be a tiny bit of reasoning as to why we haven't won away under Bankes' charge.

We're shit?

Actually my flippant remark may have some basis in fact:

Brum first game of 14/15 we finished 19th at end of 13/14.
Derby 21/1/17 we were actually 5th at the time, but playing stultifyingly boring "football" under the Dutch pretender.
Brighton ditto
Ipswich 16/12/17 the rot had set in. Tim Dellor stated "it was back to the bad old days" - 1st (only!) shot in target in 61st minute.

Bit worried by his propensity to dish out so many cards.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Mar 2019 22:47

strap
John Smith

We're shit?

What are the odds that five randomly-selected away fixtures over the last five years were lost?

How many referees have taken charge of five or more away fixtures for us in that time?

Therefore, what are the chances that none of those referees would have presided over five losses?

Or in other words, "we're shit, and shit happens".

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Mar 2019 23:49

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Kelly
Baker

McCleary
Swift
Harriott

Meite

Walker, Blackett, McShane, Richards, East, Barrow, Loader

Think Gunter should come back in, whilst it's not just the defence's fault, we're conceding too many again

Naturally Kelly in for East, need to get Rino back in though as soon as possible. Harriott and McCleary back in for Barrow and Loader, both shocking on Tuesday and whilst I want to see players given a run in the team, I can't remember the last time Barrow played a good game. Good sub to have off the bench though

Swift wasn't great on Tuesday but no-one really to replace him, possibly East and push Baker up further, but that wouldn't fare any better.
Team really down to the bare bones now, bench options are ridiculously weak. IIRC Saturday against Wigan was the only time this season we haven't made all three subs, pretty sure I read that somewhere

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2019 07:53

Yep, though I’d keep Blackett in. Otherwise same team as that ^^^

It’s going to be a real struggle I feel. Not the team I’d like to pick at all. Soft midfield, blunt attack. We’ll do well to get anything

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Mar 2019 08:10

URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Kelly
Baker

McCleary
Swift
Harriott

Meite

Walker, Blackett, McShane, Richards, East, Barrow, Loader

Think Gunter should come back in, whilst it's not just the defence's fault, we're conceding too many again

Naturally Kelly in for East, need to get Rino back in though as soon as possible. Harriott and McCleary back in for Barrow and Loader, both shocking on Tuesday and whilst I want to see players given a run in the team, I can't remember the last time Barrow played a good game. Good sub to have off the bench though

Swift wasn't great on Tuesday but no-one really to replace him, possibly East and push Baker up further, but that wouldn't fare any better.
Team really down to the bare bones now, bench options are ridiculously weak. IIRC Saturday against Wigan was the only time this season we haven't made all three subs, pretty sure I read that somewhere

Good to see you include Liam Kelly for once :D

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 08:21

Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

I think we need to set up to frustrate Stoke in the hope of coming away with a point. So I would bring in McShane alongside Moore and push Miazga into a CDM role.
Please no more dicking about with short passes deep in our own half that go straight to opposition players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2019 09:03

If theres one way to make sure we don't frustrate Stoke, its bringing in McShane and Gunter :)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Mar 2019 09:06

Zip Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

I think we need to set up to frustrate Stoke in the hope of coming away with a point. So I would bring in McShane alongside Moore and push Miazga into a CDM role.
Please no more dicking about with short passes deep in our own half that go straight to opposition players.

I hope this is a joke Zip?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Mar 2019 09:22

Being married into family of Stoke fans, I have more than a vested interest in this one. Stoke are awful - slightly improved under Jones but still pretty poor - even their wins have seen them perform poorly for most of the year. Their fans want this season over and hope Jones can make proper changes in the summer. The rot is still well in there.

They are on a run of 1 win in 6 but 5 draws but they are very, very beatable. We have nothing to fear in this game but as we know we have to get ahead to win it.

We have a massive chance this weekend to reopen a gap to the bottom 3 as should expect Norwich to turn Rotherham over.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2019 09:28

and yep, Id be very confident if we had a couple of the injured players - Oli and Rino - fit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 09:52

Old Man Andrews
Zip Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

Only if you want it to be my darling. In reality we do not have a defensive minded midfielder at the moment so why not move Miazga into that position as there are no other options. As for bringing Gunter back in it’s because I am fed up of seeing Blackett trott back when a move has broken down. We are in a relegation battle and everyone on the pitch should be busting a gut.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Mar 2019 11:26

Zip Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

I wouldn’t be against that, miazga looks the sort of player capable of moving up to midfield, however would do McCleary/Harriott instead of barrow

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2019 11:30

Zip
Old Man Andrews
Zip Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
McShane
Gunter
Miazga
Baker
Ejaria
Swift
Barrow
Meite

so why not move Miazga into that position.

Because McShane is a terrible CB?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 11:37

Hound If theres one way to make sure we don't frustrate Stoke, its bringing in McShane and Gunter :)

Shut ya chops Houndy.
Blackett always switches off, gets on the wrong side of his opponent and ambles back having pushed forward. Gunter is hardly an upgrade but is more defensively minded.

As for McShane he is limited but will at least show some fight and it will mean we can have someone in Miazga who is defensively minded in a defensive midfield role. We have no fit CDM’s. Needs must Houndy. I won’t charge you for my advice on this occasion.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Mar 2019 11:41

Zip
Hound If theres one way to make sure we don't frustrate Stoke, its bringing in McShane and Gunter :)

Shut ya chops Houndy.
Blackett always switches off, gets on the wrong side of his opponent and ambles back having pushed forward. Gunter is hardly an upgrade but is more defensively minded.

As for McShane he is limited but will at least show some fight and it will mean we can have someone in Miazga who is defensively minded in a defensive midfield role. We have no fit CDM’s. Needs must Houndy. I won’t charge you for my advice on this occasion.

You're a fool.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Mar 2019 11:43

Zip has had an absolute shocker.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Mar 2019 11:44

John Smith
Zip

Shut ya chops Houndy.

You're a fool.

It takes one to know one I guess.

182 posts