On this day

413 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: On this day

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Mar 2019 12:19

Jerry St Clair 19 years ago today,

Oxford 1 - 3 Reading. Well and truly exorcising the horror of our 1998 trip to the Manor.

Enjoy some Absolute Scenes on Cuckoo Lane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsFBw4ZdFM

With in-laws and wife coming from Headington (about half a mile from the ground) and (not wife) the family being long-term fans of Headington/Oxford going back to their non-league days any game v Oxford was important.
That Cuckoo Lane end was rocking that night with the stand actually moving.

I am still envious of Oxford reaching the top level before us despite only becoming a league club in the early 60s and for winning a Wembley Trophy.
Some consolation-I had a big bet on Oxford to win the League Cup as they had a decent side and I thought I might at least benefit financially from my misery and it was enough to pay for that year's summer holiday.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Mar 2019 13:12

Victor Meldrew

Oxford 1 - 3 Reading. Well and truly exorcising the horror of our 1998 trip to the Manor.

Enjoy some Absolute Scenes on Cuckoo Lane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsFBw4ZdFM

With in-laws and wife coming from Headington (about half a mile from the ground) and (not wife) the family being long-term fans of Headington/Oxford going back to their non-league days any game v Oxford was important.

I am still envious of Oxford reaching the top level before us despite only becoming a league club in the early 60s and for winning a Wembley Trophy.
Some consolation-I had a big bet on Oxford to win the League Cup as they had a decent side and I thought I might at least benefit financially from my misery and it was enough to pay for that year's summer holiday.

So was I they did more in the mid eighties than we managed in a hundred years. The fact they were bank rolled by the man who wanted to remove my club from the history books. And stole money from pension funds to pay for there success didn’t help either.

At least we have remained our league status since since 1920"..........

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Mar 2019 13:44

Jackson Corner
Victor Meldrew

So was I they did more in the mid eighties than we managed in a hundred years. The fact they were bank rolled by the man who wanted to remove my club from the history books. And stole money from pension funds to pay for there success didn’t help either.

At least we have remained our league status since since 1920"..........

The annoying thing is that Maurice Evans , who we far too hastily sacked,played such a big part in their success.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 07 Mar 2019 14:03

Possibly my favourite ever away day - absolute scenes with some comedic goal-keeping, so bad he was subbed off in the first half :lol:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 07 Mar 2019 14:12

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Possibly my favourite ever away day - absolute scenes with some comedic goal-keeping, so bad he was subbed off in the first half :lol:

Was that the game where the second keeper went off injured?

"You're even worse than the last one" :D

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 07 Mar 2019 16:17

I'm sure that's the one - still the only game I've ever seen where that's happened. And let's face it, the first one wasn't injured apart from a bruised ego :lol:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 11 Mar 2019 12:00

if you asked me now, I'd recall that the 94/95 season was unremittingly wondrous. The sun shone, we stroked the ball around the lush, green turf at a packed Elm Park and beat all comers.

But, no. Apparently some of it was shit.

On this day in 1995, we lost 3-0 at home to Barnsley in front of 7000 who booed the team off at at full time (just in case you thought it was only modern football fans who were fickle). I have no recollection of this game at all. All this a mere 10 weeks before the play-off final at Wembley.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Mar 2019 12:19

Jerry St Clair if you asked me now, I'd recall that the 94/95 season was unremittingly wondrous. The sun shone, we stroked the ball around the lush, green turf at a packed Elm Park and beat all comers.

But, no. Apparently some of it was shit.

On this day in 1995, we lost 3-0 at home to Barnsley in front of 7000 who booed the team off at at full time. I have no recollection of this game at all. All this a mere 10 weeks before the play-off final at Wembley.

I think I was there.

I recall the fanzine review was something along the lines of :cry: :cry: :cry: "keep off the grass"

I have the video from 93-94 and its still sunny in mid-October, (the 6-4 against Exeter stands out) everyone in baggy shirts and stonewashed jeans.

But I definitely went to a late-ish game where we lost 1-0 on the greyest day known to man.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 14 Mar 2019 10:39

14 Mar 1998 Sheff Utd 4-0 Reading (Division 1)

Absolute trash

https://youtu.be/9Ua8BiIbUp4?t=3352

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 14 Mar 2019 13:35

stealthpapes
I have the video from 93-94 and its still sunny in mid-October, (the 6-4 against Exeter stands out) everyone in baggy shirts and stonewashed jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEyMzXDdks

Some lovely highlights from that. The goalkeeper's (Peter Fox?) air kick and knee injury. Quinn's lovely strike for the 5th and classic terrace celebrations (I can see a 17 year old me in terrifically tragic early 90s clobber :D )

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 14 Mar 2019 13:44

Nick Shorey my Lord! 14 Mar 1998 Sheff Utd 4-0 Reading (Division 1)

Absolute trash

Oh my christ. The defending. Especially the first. Truly grim.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Mar 2019 14:06

Jerry St Clair

Absolute trash

my favourite bit on the first is not the speed at which they react to the ball, no, its the glance back by one of the centre backs as he realises just how out of position he is.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Mar 2019 14:15

stealthpapes
Jerry St Clair

Absolute trash

my favourite bit on the first is not the speed at which they react to the ball, no, its the glance back by one of the centre backs as he realises just how out of position he is.

Gareth Davies I think? A truly horrible footballer

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Mar 2019 17:36

Team: Colgan, Swales, Legg, Davies, Primus, Bernal, Williams (Houghton 65), Parkinson, Lovell, O'Neill, Lambert.
Subs Not Used: Booty, Caskey.

Found the team but no numbers.

Davies was a full ginge, if memory serves, which isn't quite replicated in the grainy youtube vid.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Mar 2019 17:39

stealthpapes Team: Colgan, Swales, Legg, Davies, Primus, Bernal, Williams (Houghton 65), Parkinson, Lovell, O'Neill, Lambert.
Subs Not Used: Booty, Caskey.

Found the team but no numbers.

Davies was a full ginge, if memory serves, which isn't quite replicated in the grainy youtube vid.

The Ginja Ninja

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Mar 2019 08:52

March 25th 2006, a certain game at the then Walker stadium, where has the time gone? that day will never leave me.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 25 Mar 2019 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Mar 2019 10:04

cant watch the vids without shivers down spine
& water in my eyes.

feels like a dream

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Mar 2019 10:15

“Give us the scores you bastards!”

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Mar 2019 11:42

windermereROYAL March 25th 2006, a certain game at the King power, where has the time gone? that day will never leave me.

Those days are precious and why we go to football.
That was one of the few big games I had to miss over the years, the other 3 being the play-off losses v Walsall and v Swansea (although I watched them on TV overseas) and the game at Newport when we went to 12 in a row.

My favourite game ever was probably the semi-final play-off away at Tranmere when for the first time it felt as though we had a team good enough to compete at the top level.
It took another 11 years before we really did have a side capable of competing at that top level.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Mar 2019 11:45

genome “Give us the scores you bastards!”

came here to post just that

413 posts