England - the future....

3567 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Mar 2019 16:21

Snowflake Royal I thought Sancho looked like your classic quality but overhyped starlet destined to be the enemy in two / three years time

It makes you wonder why City were prepared to let him go.

I know they already had Sane and Sterling so his progress might have stalled but they have kept Foden who has the likes of 2 Silvas and a De Bruyne ahead of him.

Time will tell which out of Foden and Sancho proves to be the more successful and for England's sake let's hope they both come up trumps.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 24 Mar 2019 20:48

Victor Meldrew
Snowflake Royal I thought Sancho looked like your classic quality but overhyped starlet destined to be the enemy in two / three years time

I know they already had Sane and Sterling so his progress might have stalled but they have kept Foden who has the likes of 2 Silvas and a De Bruyne ahead of him.

Time will tell which out of Foden and Sancho proves to be the more successful and for England's sake let's hope they both come up trumps.

thought it was because he wanted first team action (which you've got to respect)

would look good in a United shirt out on the right!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Mar 2019 22:02

Victor Meldrew

I don't think City had much say in it to be honest.

In terms of the other positions having some quality coming through, you have to remember that those defensive positions depend a lot more on positioning, concentration and experience and so you don't tend to see youngsters come through quite so early. Angus Gunn and Freddie Woodman are decent keepers. I think we have a number of good keepers, but none that are jumping out as a potential great.

Joe Gomez is obviously missing from this squad, and although a little fragile, was really starting to look the part. Maguire is good, and still only 26, with Stones 24. I've noticed the ones younger than that really, so not entirely sure what depth there is there.

In midfield we've some good'uns on the radar in Foden, Rice and Maddison. Alli is still young at 22, Barkley 25 and Loftus-Cheek 23. Winks and Lewis Cook are 22/23 and are quietly effective at what they do, albeit perhaps not world superstars in the making like your Fodens and Sanchos.

I'd say we're doing pretty well at developing the talent. It's keeping it on the right track and making it into a team that will be the tricky next step.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Mar 2019 22:05

As for Friday night's game, I think Barkley's role in the better stuff we played has been widely under sold. Dier going off was a bit of a bless as he and Henderson in the same midfield isn't really necessary and we looked much more balanced and threatening once Southgate made the right decision to go with Barkley and not the obvious like for like swap of Rice.

A pretty decent performance all round, but plenty more to come and much harder tests to pass too as this team evolves. Interesting watching though, which is pleasing to think/say.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Mar 2019 09:19

I think a few cynics on here are guilty of under-rating the talent that Sancho and Hudson-Odoi have at their disposal. Their comfort on the ball, and dribbling with it - as RR noted on the last page, it's Gazza-like.

Obviously, at 18 years, old, they still have to develop as players, but we've got as exciting a crop of youngsters around the team now as we have in a generation.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Mar 2019 11:00

Hoop Blah As for Friday night's game, I think Barkley's role in the better stuff we played has been widely under sold. Dier going off was a bit of a bless as he and Henderson in the same midfield isn't really necessary and we looked much more balanced and threatening once Southgate made the right decision to go with Barkley and not the obvious like for like swap of Rice.

A pretty decent performance all round, but plenty more to come and much harder tests to pass too as this team evolves. Interesting watching though, which is pleasing to think/say.

Very much agree that it is pointless having Dier and Henderson in midfield at home against one of the lesser footballing nations.
There is an argument for having 2 such players if we are playing away against say France or Spain and even then I wouldn't have Dier who I see as a liability and sincerely hope that Rice continues his development which has been surprisingly quick.

I am no fan of Barkley though-for a big lad he is too easily knocked off the ball and doesn't have the pace to go past a man-I think, with his injuries, he has gone backwards from the exciting talent that emerged at Everton-Chelsea fans are unimpressed especially as he has become a backwards and across passer when they are crying out for what all clubs want and that is a clever forward passer of the ball.

It seems as though he will be playing tonight ahead of Ali so it will be interesting to see how he and the others get on against not world-beaters but slightly better performers.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Mar 2019 20:06

Hudson Odoi sleeping there.
Didn't react after he'd lost the ball.

1 down and thus is now a tricky away game

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Mar 2019 20:48

bcubed Hudson Odoi sleeping there.

Quickly forgotten because we have now scored twice.
I know Foxy and I have gone on about ITV, and in particular Tyledesley's commentaries, in the past but he is worse than ever tonight by hyping this team so much when they are playing the equivalent of Bristol City.
I swear I heard him appeal for a corner for us when the ref gave a goal kick.

Southgate I think a year or so ago thought that he would get the public onside by playing younger players-if they had failed it wouldn't have been his fault because they are young and make mistakes.
His gamble paid off to some extent in the world cup and it has continued to the extent that the public and press are totally behind him, something that very few England managers have achieved and in a fairly short period of time.

I have a feeling that he will be England manager for as long as he wants to be and probably until he wants to get back to club management and the day-to-day contact with players that most managers crave.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Mar 2019 21:05

Victor Meldrew
Hoop Blah As for Friday night's game, I think Barkley's role in the better stuff we played has been widely under sold. Dier going off was a bit of a bless as he and Henderson in the same midfield isn't really necessary and we looked much more balanced and threatening once Southgate made the right decision to go with Barkley and not the obvious like for like swap of Rice.

Very much agree that it is pointless having Dier and Henderson in midfield at home against one of the lesser footballing nations.
There is an argument for having 2 such players if we are playing away against say France or Spain and even then I wouldn't have Dier who I see as a liability and sincerely hope that Rice continues his development which has been surprisingly quick.

I am no fan of Barkley though-for a big lad he is too easily knocked off the ball and doesn't have the pace to go past a man-I think, with his injuries, he has gone backwards from the exciting talent that emerged at Everton-Chelsea fans are unimpressed especially as he has become a backwards and across passer when they are crying out for what all clubs want and that is a clever forward passer of the ball.

It seems as though he will be playing tonight ahead of Ali so it will be interesting to see how he and the others get on against not world-beaters but slightly better performers.

Barkley. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Welcome back to where you were about 4 years ago-now just get the rest of your game sorted out. :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Mar 2019 21:28

Er.... We are quite good.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Mar 2019 21:29

England are walking this group. It’s very important for Southgate to keep the players grounded in the build up to the Euro 2020 finals.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Mar 2019 21:30

No. Montenegro are laughable really. They are bad.

When we play the bigger teams and if we turn them over then we will win Euro 2020.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Mar 2019 21:32

Victor Meldrew
bcubed Hudson Odoi sleeping there.

Quickly forgotten because we have now scored twice.
I know Foxy and I have gone on about ITV, and in particular Tyledesley's commentaries, in the past but he is worse than ever tonight by hyping this team so much when they are playing the equivalent of Bristol City.
I swear I heard him appeal for a corner for us when the ref gave a goal kick.

Southgate I think a year or so ago thought that he would get the public onside by playing younger players-if they had failed it wouldn't have been his fault because they are young and make mistakes.
His gamble paid off to some extent in the world cup and it has continued to the extent that the public and press are totally behind him, something that very few England managers have achieved and in a fairly short period of time.

I have a feeling that he will be England manager for as long as he wants to be and probably until he wants to get back to club management and the day-to-day contact with players that most managers crave.

You can't underestimate how well Southgate has done with this team. He seems to have brought in just the right players at the right team no matter how few club games they have played. There's a real belief in the way Southgate wants the team to play too and newcomers fit in with ease.

Hudson Odoi has looked very threatening since his early mistake and Rice looks at home at this level.

Superb sub performance by Henderson who looked great in the last game too. Really seemed to speed up play and two incisive passes led to two goals.

Impressive stuff

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Mar 2019 21:43

Barkley looks very very good.
Kane is genuinely world class
Sterling is delivering.

Hudson-Odoi looked both excellent and very young. Decision making and defensive focus was a bit wayward but a real livewire going forward. This is what you expect though.

Rose was full of errors... won't get many serious games ahead of Chilwell on that display.

Quite sleepy at the back and in midfield turnovers, but it was clear from about 5 - 10 minutes that England would be in total control and get at least a couple of good chances, I was never concerned even at one down.

Very strong mentality. England have always had quality. Southgate has added intelligence and mental fortitude to the side, and that cannot be overrated.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Mar 2019 21:47

Hudson Odoi has a lot of talent but as to be expected I suppose he is very naive.

Disappointed that he was so reluctant to take on the full back. Had loads of good ball in good positions in the 2nd half but was just content to lay it off every time.

If he ever gets a club game he should have a good career but I’m not entirely convinced in the way I am with Sancho.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Mar 2019 21:49

bcubed
You can't underestimate how well Southgate has done with this team.

Over-estimate....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Mar 2019 22:01

The new "Golden generation".

As much as I can't stand our national team or their fans good to see the Montenegro team get hammered after the behaviour of their "supporters".

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Mar 2019 22:31

sandman The new "Golden generation".

As much as I can't stand our national team or their fans good to see the Montenegro team get hammered after the behaviour of their "supporters".

I don’t understand why you can’t stand this particular England national team. The fans and media go OTT but you have a grounded manager and a cracking and young team.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Mar 2019 06:21

It looks like we are going to have fantastic attacking players for the next few years, and you have to thank Southgate for that. Who in their right mind would have picked Hudson-Odoi for this game?

The defence might be the key to winning things. The first goal showed that we must remember to tackle with 100% commitment, even if the rest of the team are playing like Brazil. Oddly (given comments above) I thought Rose was the best defender on display today. Anyway, defending is boring, Get ready for years of witless hype from the tabloids and Sky about our golden future.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Mar 2019 06:44

Rice was my MOTM. Love the way he waits for the moment to challenge an opponent and then cleanly nicks the ball and lays it off. Always in space, big, strong and calm.

Beckenbaueresque.

3567 posts