BFTG - PNE

135 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - PNE

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Mar 2019 18:06

Enjoyed (most of) that.

Rhino added a real backbone to the midfield. Miazga was a rock. Eja was also immense going forward, the man is all twisty legs.
Hard to find any real fault with anyone.

Second half was a real mess though. All the injuries for both teams upset the balance, but we rarely looked in too much trouble

......... And my God does McShane look out if place in this new team.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - PNE

by PieEater » 30 Mar 2019 18:07

That was a massive 3 points given the upcoming fixtures.

I thought we matched them throughout the game and they had few chances. The first goal was class, a great through ball from Swift, a good cross from Barrow and a relative tap in for Meite. The second had an element of a PNE cock up but it was well put away by Barrow,

Disappointing to let in one at the end but we really looked comfortable, albeit we were playing against 10 men with their number 4 barely able to move.

This result must keep us up, we're 4 points plus GD ahead of Rotherham and I can't see them bettering us in the remaining fixtures.
Last edited by PieEater on 30 Mar 2019 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Mar 2019 18:09

I noticed you started a thread as well and went in to copy my post and delete the thread......but you'd done the same.

We nearly ended up both deleting our threads :lol:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Mar 2019 18:11

Also, Meite is really not very good by my word does he try, try and keep trying. Makes a real difference.

Be good if he stayed on his feet a tad more

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Mar 2019 18:13

John Madejski's Wallet I noticed you started a thread as well and went in to copy my post and delete the thread......but you'd done the same.

We nearly ended up both deleting our threads :lol:

Your's was ahead of mine so I thought I'd do the honourable :D

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Mar 2019 18:31

Yes, McShane needs to put in a pasture with nice long grass to keep him happy in his retirement.
What a ball from Swifty for the first.
Rino - how we have missed him and there is a very competent Prem league midfield right there.
Top marks to Baker, too. Never gave up, always a bit of composure and picked a pass.
Yids - sound as ever and won more than his share of headers for a midget.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Mar 2019 18:36

Another +1 for Baker too. Really impressed with his composure under pressure when dropping deep to collect

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Mar 2019 18:56

I haven't been Meite's biggest fan in the past but he was absolutely immense today. Not only did he get the important first goal and help set up the second but he worked tirelessly in attack and defence throughout the game. He caused their defenders all sorts of problems and I lost count of the number of times he popped up in and around our own box to help clear our lines.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Mar 2019 19:01

Great result. Two good goals for different reasons. For the first a good team goal with tempo and for the second excellent pressing from Barrow to force the defender and keeper into the mistake.

We weren't so effective in the second half but we saw it out despite the goal at the end. Only worry is the injuries.

Martinez - Not a lot to do save wise. Some good distribution. 6

Yiadom - Rampaging performance once again from Yiadom. Got caught out by their 21 at the start if the second half. 8

Miazga - A real rock at the back. Won everything that came at him in the air. 8

Moore - Solid display from the captain. Covered a lot of ground and used his pace to good effect when he needed to. 7

Blackett - Good display from. Got forward well and didn't get caught out of position as much as he usually does. 7

Rinomhota - Great to have him back. Got stuck in early and added a physical presence in midfield. 7

Baker - Solid if unspectacular kept the ball moving well with his passing. 7

Swift - The one game in ten. Absolutely brilliant pass for the first goal. Intelligent passing. Hopefully the injury isn't too serious. 7

Meite - Never stopped running. Both he and Yiadom caused havoc down their left hand side. Took the goal well after a pretty poor effort just beforehand. 9 MotM

Ejaria - Did well again. Tricky customer for the opposition the way he twists and turns. Excellent effort that almost made it 3-0. 7

Barrow - Their defenders couldn't handle his pace, which is what caused the second goal. Hopefully the injury he sustained isn't too bad. 7

Subs:

McShane - Just awful. No awareness of what was around him for their goal. Misplaced pass after pass and his legs have gone. Hopefully that is the last we've seen of him. Mcintyre or Holmes should take his place on the bench. 0

McCleary - Couple of good runs. Nothing much other than that. 6

Harriott - Not enough time to make an impact. N/A

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 19:06

That first half was as good as I have seen from a Reading side in a long time. Rinomhota and Meite set the tone early on with the former putting in a crunching challenge and the latter letting Pearson know he was around.
We harried and chased. I just don’t think Preston expected that intensity.
The second half was more fractured and Preston’s late goal flattered them

That’s now 20 points from our last 13 League games since the Swansea defeat. That’s play off form. Well done Jose Gomes. Well done also to club 1871 and the rest of our supporters. The atmosphere is so much better than from a few months ago.

Martinez. 6 Usual immaculate handling but had little to do.
Yiadom. 7 Pushed forward well first half. Got beaten for pace in the second half on occasions.
Moore. 7 Composed and solid
Miazga. 8 His positioning was superb. Looks like a leader to me
Blackett. 8 Didn’t put a foot wrong. A fine performance.
Rinomhota 8 Composed, classy, physical. Superb.
Swift. 8 Got his passing right in an excellent first half. Lovely pass to Barrow for the first goal
Baker. 7 Quitely effective and always made himself available
Barrow. 8 Scored a goal out of nothing. An assist too. Preston couldn’t cope with his pace
Ejaria. 7 Showed lovely feet and one great effort on goal. Should have had a pop at goal on other occasions and one or two shanked clearances
Meite 8 An absolute beast. Took his goal well. Also won the header which Barrow chased down for the second.
Several terrific runs in the second half. Nine goals for the young man now. He has done well. Really well.

GMac. 6 Worked hard when he came on
McShane 4 Dear God. Never again please
Harriott n/a Can’t really give a rating as he wasn’t involved too much at the end.
Last edited by Zip on 30 Mar 2019 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 19:12

John Madejski's Wallet Also, Meite is really not very good by my word does he try, try and keep trying. Makes a real difference.

Be good if he stayed on his feet a tad more

He was lucky not to be booked diving for a pen but he’s great. He gives us a physical edge. He’s good in the air. He goes for it. He does also have some skill and showed one or two nice touches today. He has been an important part of our recovery.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2019 19:51

Bar giving away a Blackburn-Esque penalty, struggling to think of how McShane could have played any worse :lol:

Still plenty of positives. I thought looking at the line up before the game - if you threw Oli in, that’s a play off challenging side, not a relegation one. Lack a bit of quality in depth obviously and staying fit now is vital, esp the back 4

We looked a class above Preston tbh

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Mar 2019 19:55

That was a very good first half performance and a steady second half. This team as it is now with some self belief and confidence would be a very dangerous side next season. It needs a little tweaking here and there but with a full preseason under Jose and maybe if we could keep the four outfield loanee's (No way will we keep Martinez lol) then i would be very optimistic for next season if we survive.
I honestly believe that injuries and confidence has been our downfall this year and this has been down to poor management and back of house turmoil.
Jose and his team are slowly installing self belief and a successful playing style that suits this team and long may this continue. The feel good factor is slowly creeping back and you can sense this with the atmosphere and excitement in the fans. :D :D :D

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 20:01

If only we could keep all these loanees next season. They are all totally committed to the team and it shows in their performances. They have made a huge difference.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Mar 2019 20:09

Zip If only we could keep all these loanees next season. They are all totally committed to the team and it shows in their performances. They have made a huge difference.

I was a bit sceptical given our past experience with bulk loan signings but each of them has vastly improved our options and fortunes. I dont know who is to thank for that but I presume it's the scouting team. Well done to them. It's honestly difficult to choose which of the loans has been best.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 30 Mar 2019 20:09

Great afternoon that I wasn’t too hopeful about. The first half Preston (is there a better South End?) looked at each other a lot in a way that would seem spookily familiar to Reading players three months ago.

Don’t get low attendance. Not on TV. Gorgeous weather. WTF?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 20:14

NewCorkSeth
Zip If only we could keep all these loanees next season. They are all totally committed to the team and it shows in their performances. They have made a huge difference.

I was a bit sceptical given our past experience with bulk loan signings but each of them has vastly improved our options and fortunes. I dont know who is to thank for that but I presume it's the scouting team. Well done to them. It's honestly difficult to choose which of the loans has been best.

Yes it’s unclear who was behind the signings but a big well done to whoever was responsible. It’s made all the difference. I hope we can sign a couple of them for next season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2019 20:16

Singing Defective Great afternoon that I wasn’t too hopeful about. The first half Preston (is there a better South End?) looked at each other a lot in a way that would seem spookily familiar to Reading players three months ago.

The gate was decent at just under 16,800. We had something like 6,700 for one game last season.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 30 Mar 2019 20:20

Zip
Singing Defective Great afternoon that I wasn’t too hopeful about. The first half Preston (is there a better South End?) looked at each other a lot in a way that would seem spookily familiar to Reading players three months ago.

The gate was decent at just under 16,800. We had something like 6,700 for one game last season.

Yeah I remember, but that was a freezing Tuesday.. Still at least the crowd were clapping nicely. Now if we could learn a few away-day chants, and perhaps drop Sweet Caroline for a newer equivalent of the Big Bad Wolf / Sirius...

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Mar 2019 20:20

Hound I thought looking at the line up before the game - if you threw Oli in, that’s a play off challenging side, not a relegation one. Lack a bit of quality in depth obviously and staying fit now is vital, esp the back 4

We looked a class above Preston tbh

Couldn't agree more

Injuries may have conspired to take the edge off our second half performance but we made one of the division's form teams look second best all afternoon, scoring 2 excellent goals with 2 recognised strikers..............................one on the wing and one on the bench!

It's unlikley to come to pass, but I, too, would happliy start next season with this side plus Oliveira. They and their manager are growing on me more and more with every passing week and I'll be sad to say goodbye to any of them.

Down the years we've had so many loan players who clearly couldn't care less about the club so it's a real pleasure watching this crop give their all for the team.

I know it's a big "if" but IF they stay fit , we'll be too good to go down .

135 posts