BFTG - PNE

135 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: BFTG - PNE

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Mar 2019 16:24

URZZZZ I'm not defending his actions against Blackburn. It was horrific. But it happened 7 months ago and it's all anyone brings up when anyone says his name

Put it this way. If someone was to ask the most memorable thing McShane did in his time here, they'd neglect how good he was at the start and focus on the Stevenage debacle/Blackburn debacle.

And he's still a better option than just chucking in the youth. You saw how lightweight Olise and East were. If Moore/Miazga were to get injured, he's next in line. He's not exactly going to be confident if everyone's on his back from the get go of him playing

Disagree, if either were to get injured I think Blackett would move to cb with Yiadom moved to lb and Gunter to rb

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Mar 2019 16:44

Hound It wasn’t just the fact he cost the Blackburn game, but the nature of the two appalling tackles resulting in penalties - which were their only shots on target in the entire game

URZZZZ I'm not defending his actions against Blackburn. It was horrific. But it happened 7 months ago and it's all anyone brings up when anyone says his name.

Yep, nobody is arguing what happened in the Blackburn game. It was done to death back then, since then, and some still are now, but nobody has disputed what happened in the game and that it was bad.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 31 Mar 2019 17:07, edited 4 times in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Mar 2019 16:45

Hound Wasn’t Blackburn the last game he played for us? When he single handedly cost us 2 points?

No real surprise it’s referenced regularly

McShane hasn't played. Yet we are still the edge of the relegation zone. Says it all really.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2019 17:04

URZZZZ Yeah it was

Shock horror that a footballer costs his team one game of the season. People need to get over it

I recall a certain Tiago being at fault for three goals in one game last year against Derby. That cost us the game. No-one ever mentioned that

Like I said, people have an irrational dislike against him. It's just weird. Maybe people were just looking for an excuse to slate him at every given opportunity after his antics against Stevenage last season

He was captain. He's an experienced senior pro. He made the same mistake twice to lose us two points we desperately needed by being truly stupid. Not making a poor pass. Not getting caught out of position. Lunging in off his feet in our own box twice.

It's just not good enough, and it's a sign he's out of his depth and no good to us.

McIntyre, Osho, Holmes, Blackett all >>>>>>> McShane now.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Mar 2019 19:22

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Yeah it was

Shock horror that a footballer costs his team one game of the season. People need to get over it

I recall a certain Tiago being at fault for three goals in one game last year against Derby. That cost us the game. No-one ever mentioned that

Like I said, people have an irrational dislike against him. It's just weird. Maybe people were just looking for an excuse to slate him at every given opportunity after his antics against Stevenage last season

He was captain. He's an experienced senior pro. He made the same mistake twice to lose us two points we desperately needed by being truly stupid. Not making a poor pass. Not getting caught out of position. Lunging in off his feet in our own box twice.

It's just not good enough, and it's a sign he's out of his depth and no good to us.

I agree with your assessment of his current place in the pecking order and also with others in that he's time here is over but, seriously, give the man a break, FFS :evil:

This is a "run through brick walls type of guy" who has dug out of the sh*t many times in the past.

In today's game, the difference between conceding 2 penalties and making 2 world class tackles can amount to a few split seconds.

McShane's shortcomings are down to his advancing years not lack of effort, unlike many 10 years younger, and for that and his past record he deserves a lot better than he's getting from many here.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 31 Mar 2019 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Worthingroyal

by Worthingroyal » 31 Mar 2019 19:30

Jagermesiter1871
Worthingroyal
Hound
Yeah exactly. A good professional etc and did a great job for us in year 1 and 2. But he’s had it now. Was so far off the level. He’ll do a good job in L1 for someone for a couple of years

I think it is only fair that the following players are released on a free at the end of season.
McShane, Gunter, McCleary, Meyler, Baldock and McNulty

Idiot/Troll?

Thank you so much for your wonderfully kind words. In my opinion the club needs to be in with Jose's plan going forward. With the exception of McCleary I dont see it. Gunter and McShane are great servants for the club and deserve the best they can get. Living where I do I know what a great player Baldock is and was at Bwighton. Would love to see his 110% effort he gives again in a Royals shirt but at the end of the day would rather see Martinez, Miazga, Ejaria and Oliviera signed on a permanent basis. because at the moment i like the way we are playing. But high paid players (conjecture) could stifle the wage budget. Sorry to anyone thinking i'm trolling.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2019 19:32

Who is criticising his effort?

First rule of defending. Stay on your feet in the box.

Thanks for the good times, long past. Don't play for us again.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Mar 2019 19:42

If that's the first rule of defending, every defender breaks it.

Except it's not.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2019 20:04

Woodcote Royal
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Yeah it was

I agree with your assessment of his current place in the pecking order and also with others in that he's time here is over but, seriously, give the man a break, FFS :evil:

This is a "run through brick walls type of guy" who has dug out of the sh*t many times in the past

McShane's shortcomings are down to his advancing years not lack of effort, unlike many 10 years younger, and for that and his past record he deserves a lot better than he's getting from many here.

No one is doubting that. The criticism is because his last two performances have been 2 of the worst CB performances I’ve seen at this level. It’s a football forum, if people play poorly they get criticised. Christ, some of the stuff that Swift gets on here is far worse

A great pro, a good bloke, but he really can’t play for us again

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 31 Mar 2019 21:29

Victor Meldrew I was wondering driving back from the game last night where we would have been if we hadn't made these 5 loan signings-I believe we would have been where Bolton now are in the table or thereabouts.

Whoever was responsible for those signings saved our season- I'm sure Gomes has played his part in our upturn but I doubt that he would have done so well with the squad that we already had.

As others have said, a good first half yesterday and in the second we didn't know whether to stick or twist.
Looking ahead I feel that we might only need one more win and possibly a draw to be safe, a position that we could only hope and dream of back around Christmastime.

Without the loan signings we would be relegated the goalkeeper has made a huge difference.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Mar 2019 21:39

Woodcote Royal
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ Yeah it was

This is a "run through brick walls type of guy" who has dug out of the sh*t many times in the past.

In today's game, the difference between conceding 2 penalties and making 2 world class tackles can amount to a few split seconds.

Yep, the previous regime should have shifted him on last Summer.
He only made a cameo yesterday due to injuries to others (inc Swift).
A pity on this match thread, after a win, that there's been ten times the amount written about McShane as there's been about Barrow's performance, his goal, and his assist.
(Then again, one or two didn't even have Barrow in their starting line up yesterday, so I'm not entirely shocked :wink: )

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Mar 2019 22:05

Denver Royal
Woodcote Royal
Snowflake Royal He was captain. He's an experienced senior pro. He made the same mistake twice to lose us two points we desperately needed by being truly stupid. Not making a poor pass. Not getting caught out of position. Lunging in off his feet in our own box twice.

A pity on this match thread, after a win, that there's been ten times the amount written about McShane as there's been about Barrow's performance, his goal, and his assist.
(Then again, one or two didn't even have Barrow in their starting line up yesterday, so I'm not entirely shocked :wink: )

Yeah but then one goal from the start this season hardly smacks of “he must be included” does it. For the record I still praised him for a good game yesterday, much better

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Mar 2019 23:58

Denver Royal
Woodcote Royal
Snowflake Royal He was captain. He's an experienced senior pro. He made the same mistake twice to lose us two points we desperately needed by being truly stupid. Not making a poor pass. Not getting caught out of position. Lunging in off his feet in our own box twice.

Yeah, there's nothing to disagree on with the goals or assists is there.

There's only so much mileage in everyone saying they were good. The content volume and level of interest comes from disagreement.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Apr 2019 00:07

Yeh...I completely agree that it’s time he went & he is past it.

But as other posters have mentioned - all people bang on about is his mistakes & he’s actually had a few decent seasons for us here, and actually gives a toss about the club unlike some of the prima donnas (Barrow for example) who are only really interested in their own careers.

And this is coming from someone who thought McShane was rubbish before he joined us! He proved me wrong and should be held in high regard as far as I’m concerned

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2019 00:10

You're only as good as your last game.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Apr 2019 00:28

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Woodcote Royal

Yeah, there's nothing to disagree on with the goals or assists is there.

There's only so much mileage in everyone saying they were good. The content volume and level of interest comes from disagreement.

Heh, I still try :)
But you’re right, and I’ve sensed a departure from that in the last, oh, 2 years or so on the TB. Time will tell whether it’s better for it.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 01 Apr 2019 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Apr 2019 00:34

Henley Royal 1
Victor Meldrew I was wondering driving back from the game last night where we would have been if we hadn't made these 5 loan signings-I believe we would have been where Bolton now are in the table or thereabouts.

Whoever was responsible for those signings saved our season- I'm sure Gomes has played his part in our upturn but I doubt that he would have done so well with the squad that we already had.

As others have said, a good first half yesterday and in the second we didn't know whether to stick or twist.
Looking ahead I feel that we might only need one more win and possibly a draw to be safe, a position that we could only hope and dream of back around Christmastime.

Without the loan signings we would be relegated the goalkeeper has made a huge difference.

Without the loanees we’d have struggled to get a side on the pitch at times. Impossible to underestimate what they have done for us.
Which is a bit of a shame really as I have always looked down on clubs whopack their teams with players from other clubs. One of the really good things about the 106 side was it was done without the aid of mercenaries (allowing for the fact that all players are mercenaries !)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Apr 2019 00:55

URZZZZ
Denver Royal
Woodcote Royal

For the record I still praised him for a good game yesterday, much better

Yep, you’re able to concede a point, and some aren’t (I’ll tell you a story one day :))
Anyhoo, I’ll see your 10, and I’ll raise you 10. Do we win that game without him?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Apr 2019 10:00

excellent win, excellent atmosphere, things starting to look up.

HNA? still arguing about something irrelevant that happened 7 months ago

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Apr 2019 10:05

John Madejski's Wallet Also, Meite is really not very good by my word does he try, try and keep trying. Makes a real difference.

Be good if he stayed on his feet a tad more

ran his heart out.
with 15 to go he was blowing out of his arse and kept looking at the bench :lol:
then the sub warmed up and was ready to come on he thought he had been rescued, and then it wasn't his number held up and he nearly died, yiadom came up and gave him a conciliatory hug. :lol:

then it was him who couldn't keep up with his runner for the move that ended with their goal. bless him.

tbf he did have a couple of very good spells where he caused them real problems in the game, and you cant help but like him.

135 posts