Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes after 10 League Games

by Hound » 31 Mar 2019 21:13

I think so to. Hopefully we’ll get to find out

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Mar 2019 21:44

Hound He can certainly be a little negative for my liking. Both the o Shea and McShane subs weren’t great, and even yesterday we sat too far back for 25 mins

It’d be interesting to see if he’d make the same subs in the club were in a better situation. Would he still sit back to defend a 1-0/2-0 lead if it was the first game of the season?

IMO it was obvious that the manager had told them to
hold on to the 2-0 lead and not take risks

On 50/55 minutes (can't remember exactly) we broke and Baker had just crossed the half-way
line near Gomes. Gomes shouted and gesticulated at Baker ("That's far enough!) and Baker, in space,
passed instead, then dropped back.

It was very definite (and IMO a mistake as I think we defend better by attacking)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Mar 2019 22:05

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I'm obviously not certain but I think he rotates the wingers because he's not convinced by any of them (bar maybe Meite)
I like Barrow. A lot more than the fans on Twitter seem too but I recognise he has flaws in his game. Harriott has looked a real try-er since getting back and I'm happy with him but he's not exactly nailed down a place. McCleary is frustrating at the moment. He does something great then bottles the next.

I get the rotation. He's looking for someone to step up.

He tried to loan Méïté out in January.

And yet he had nothing to do with the signings apparently.
You know, I really hope we aren't starting down a slippery slope again with managers whereby any good move was none of his doing, but any bad move was his.
Since the signings were under Gomes' watch/reign, I'd say he was responsible, at least in part. Same as last Summer's window was under Clement's reign (and why the loanees were needed this window, btw).
It's true, we don't know the exact 'weighting' and to what extent for sure (we rarely do), but I don't know any other way to view it really, and so that's basically what I try to do, for consistency, from manager to manager. Otherwise it's all over the place, with subjective variables and agendas introduced, etc.
Taking it a stage further, if Gomes was not a factor in the signings, then I think it's fair to ask whether Clement would have even been able to sign/attract them? Are we saying he would have, because Gomes had nothing to do with it? I rather think not.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Mar 2019 22:16

Snowball Face Value, his CV looked, at best, meh.

The kudos should go to the person or persons who
saw beyond the bare bones and recognised the man's
quality and brought him in.

EDIT

All WE had was that cv, and there is no way most of
us would have looked beyond the cv. Of course we
aren't professional scouts etc

We don't know the ins-and-outs of what went on at
his various clubs, which ones were basket-cases etc.

Yes, but even if armed with the same CV, some people may not have based their thoughts and projections entirely just on that. They could have looked at other teams, the fixtures, which of our players might improve under Gomes, and so on. Thus, some projections were different to others.
Otherwise you could, I say could have a situation whereby some are still claiming to have been 'right', even tho they have subsequently been proven wrong. Or something like that. However, I feel that's very unlikely in here. :wink:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 31 Mar 2019 23:58, edited 4 times in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Mar 2019 22:35

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I'm obviously not certain but I think he rotates the wingers because he's not convinced by any of them (bar maybe Meite)
I like Barrow. A lot more than the fans on Twitter seem too but I recognise he has flaws in his game. Harriott has looked a real try-er since getting back and I'm happy with him but he's not exactly nailed down a place. McCleary is frustrating at the moment. He does something great then bottles the next.

And yet he had nothing to do with the signings apparently.
You know, I really hope we aren't starting down a slippery slope again with managers whereby any good move was none of his doing, but any bad move was his.
Since the signings were under Gomes' watch/reign, I'd say he was responsible, at least in part. Same as last Summer's window was under Clement's reign (and why the loanees were needed this window, btw).
It's true, we don't know the exact 'weighting' and to what extent for sure (we rarely do), but I don't know any other way to view it really, and so that's basically what I try to do, for consistency, from manager to manager. Otherwise it's all over the place, with subjective variables and agendas introduced, etc.
Taking it a stage further, if Gomes was not a factor in the signings, then I think it's fair to ask whether Clement would have even been able to sign/attract them? Are we saying he would have, because Gomes had nothing to do with it? I rather think not.

I think that’s a rather extreme interpretation !
He’s spoken openly about the signings, his take was he was happy with them all but it was what he called a ‘team’ effort. My understanding is the signings were more or less outsourced. I would expect Gomes said what type of player he wanted and someone else found the match. I don’t think that is massively different to how things have been done previously, and I doubt any of the players came because of Gomes (Although probably he was more involved in getting Oliviera on board). They came because their clubs sent them.

The Meite loan was obviously part of the budget issue. We don’t know if Gomes wanted Bacuna to go, he certainly wasn’t one of House told he had no future here. But a big part of January was sorting the finances and whoever got a seven figure sum for Bacuna played a blinder.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Mar 2019 23:15

A team/outsourced effort, not much different to before? Could have sworn I was told it was a manager who ‘spunked’ all that money on Aluko :)
Anyway, agree on the fee re. Bacuna from the club’s perspective, even tho it must have been squeaky bum time for Gomes when Rino went down (and for which, I do believe, Gomes took some flack for leaving the team so exposed).

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Mar 2019 23:28

The entire squad was up for sale in January or loan out.

The club's financial position mustn't be underestimated. FPP is an issue.

Why do you think Clement had no budget last summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2019 00:08

URZZZZ

I mean he tried to loan Méïté out in January so I don’t think he’s entirely convinced by any of them

I personally don’t like Barrow. He’s quick and direct and is “different” but his attitude irritates me. Saying that it’s got a lot better recently

Harriott is another player better off the bench

I just personally don’t think if you bring someone in for one game then drop them the next it’ll help their confidence, and that’s especially the case for wingers

Yep. Bar atrocious performances or specific tactical reasons the wingers should be getting at least three game runs before a change IMO.

But I also agree that none are really consistently owning their place. That attacking three behind the striker is our weakest area IMO. At least whilst the loanees bolster elsewhere.

Owlish52

by Owlish52 » 01 Apr 2019 01:11

Nameless No idea about McShane unless it was to prove McShane is not the answer and justify including McIntyre on the bench for the rest of the season.

Just an opinion, but I believe the McShane sub was in hopes that McShane would put in a good (or at least fair) performance for a short span. I think Gomes was sincere in saying McShane puts in hard work in training and is a good teammate. I think Gomes felt that McShane had earned at least a cameo to show that he wasn't totally past it. Unfortunately, it clearly showed that he was indeed well past his 'best by' date. I do not think Gomes would put a player out on the pitch to embarrass themselves or to flounder and fail. I expect we've seen the last of McShane as an active participant in a Reading uniform.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Apr 2019 02:00

Owlish52
Nameless No idea about McShane unless it was to prove McShane is not the answer and justify including McIntyre on the bench for the rest of the season.

Just an opinion, but I believe the McShane sub was in hopes that McShane would put in a good (or at least fair) performance for a short span. I think Gomes was sincere in saying McShane puts in hard work in training and is a good teammate. I think Gomes felt that McShane had earned at least a cameo to show that he wasn't totally past it. Unfortunately, it clearly showed that he was indeed well past his 'best by' date. I do not think Gomes would put a player out on the pitch to embarrass themselves or to flounder and fail. I expect we've seen the last of McShane as an active participant in a Reading uniform.

Well said, some good points, appreciate your input.
5 posts since 15? Ha, some have 10k since 16. They’ve licked some pitiful ass since 16.
Post more if you can. Thanks!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Apr 2019 07:04

Denver Royal
5 posts since 15? Ha, some have 10k since 16. They’ve licked some pitiful ass since 16.
Post more if you can. Thanks!

Anyone particularly in mind Denver? Do share...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Apr 2019 07:40

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I mean he tried to loan Méïté out in January so I don’t think he’s entirely convinced by any of them

I personally don’t like Barrow. He’s quick and direct and is “different” but his attitude irritates me. Saying that it’s got a lot better recently

I just personally don’t think if you bring someone in for one game then drop them the next it’ll help their confidence, and that’s especially the case for wingers

Yep. Bar atrocious performances or specific tactical reasons the wingers should be getting at least three game runs before a change IMO.

But I also agree that none are really consistently owning their place. That attacking three behind the striker is our weakest area IMO. At least whilst the loanees bolster elsewhere.

So you agree we are in a grey area right now with them? Meite and Barrow are our most in-form attackers so despite Barrow being a good option off the bench he really should start. He even worked well up top last game.

Which is interesting because it's something we have discussed on here often enough. With Meite on the right wing we have an aerial presence and with Martinez we have a keeper capable of passing the ball out fast and accurately.

Barrow up top gave the Preston defenders a lot to think about. I really do think that Gomes is tinkering with them tactically as well. He's analysing the opponents to see who would be effective where. I wouldn't be surprised to see a constant rotation for the rest of the season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Apr 2019 08:19

Another passive aggressive post from Denver. Make snide digs and put an emoji after it.

I doubt that, bar Oliveira, Gomes had a great knowledge of the loanees. He's not stupid so he Probably said what positions he needed without having a great knowledge of the players that were signed. Ejaria's quote about the first thing the manager asking him being, "where do you play" would seem to hint towards that.

That doesn't necessarily correlate to outgoings. He's seen them in training and in matches so has a knowledge of the players at his disposal and whether they will be any good to him or not.

I agree with Lower West that everyone was for sale due to the financial issues. However, it's more feasible that Gomes had a say in the names of the players leaving than it is the names of the players coming in.

:) :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Apr 2019 08:50

yep. No doubts his removal of Meyler and co was his doing. Interesting actually that Meyler isn't even getting off the Cov bench.

I'm still a little surprised in retrospect about Meite and Barrow. Looks like both could have gone - Meite even flew over. tbh we'd have been in real strife if those two had left. There was mention of the owner blocking the Meite move, though not a lot of detail.

And yes as mentioned a couple of posts up, he got Meite and Barrow exactly right on Saturday. Meite monstered their fullback on the ground and air, and the slow CBs really struggled with Barrow's pace. Both goals a direct result of their interplay. It was as good as either have played all season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Apr 2019 09:10

Doesn't matter if Gomes bought them in or not - he has got each of the loanees to buy in to the ethos of what we are doing - it is a long time since I have seen loan players really battle for the team - hopefully one or two stay but if not (and if we stay up) they will be certain of a warm welcome when they return (until the game starts of course).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2019 10:05

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

So you agree we are in a grey area right now with them? Meite and Barrow are our most in-form attackers so despite Barrow being a good option off the bench he really should start. He even worked well up top last game.

Which is interesting because it's something we have discussed on here often enough. With Meite on the right wing we have an aerial presence and with Martinez we have a keeper capable of passing the ball out fast and accurately.

Barrow up top gave the Preston defenders a lot to think about. I really do think that Gomes is tinkering with them tactically as well. He's analysing the opponents to see who would be effective where. I wouldn't be surprised to see a constant rotation for the rest of the season.

To be honest I'm not fussed who he plays as long as they don't change every week. There's pros and cons for all of them.

Barrow and Meite both scored so should both stay in the side. If Oli starts then Ejaria probably misses out, otherwise same three in same configuration.

I could see an argument that if Oli starts you don't need Meite's height and physicality wide so much... But he's doing ok so show faith.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 01 Apr 2019 13:06

Stranded Doesn't matter if Gomes bought them in or not - he has got each of the loanees to buy in to the ethos of what we are doing - it is a long time since I have seen loan players really battle for the team - hopefully one or two stay but if not (and if we stay up) they will be certain of a warm welcome when they return (until the game starts of course).

Agreed, some sense to the thread.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Apr 2019 13:26

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Gomes actually said after the Wigan game that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was to move the front 3 around.

Probably because of Barrow's injury he didn't do quite the same on Saturday and when Oliviera returns wingers will stay in their recognised positions.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Apr 2019 14:34

Victor Meldrew
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Yep. Bar atrocious performances or specific tactical reasons the wingers should be getting at least three game runs before a change IMO.

Gomes actually said after the Wigan game that he doesn't see Meite as a central striker and the plan was to move the front 3 around.

Probably because of Barrow's injury he didn't do quite the same on Saturday and when Oliviera returns wingers will stay in their recognised positions.

Oh yeah I fully expect Oliveira to slot straight back in. I'll be very interested to see what comes next after that though.

Ian rightly says that the 3 behind are probably our weakest now (as long as Rinomhota and Baker stay for st least) despite 2 of them (Barrow and Meite) being in very good form and Swift still contributing well.

I imagine he will keep that line up (if Nelson starts) but it leaves Ejaria in an interesting position. He's simply too talented to ignore so I would expect him to maybe rotate him with Barrow, Swift and maybe even Baker/Rinomhota.

He looked a little unsteady on his feet in his first few appearances but with a but more experience he looks like a quality player to me. Twice he came close to scoring against Preston and his movement on the ball and range of passing is bound to allow him to create goal scoring chances for others.

Its great that we can have a mini selection headache now. Previously we all were picking teams with 2 or 3 players we didn't want..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2019 15:09

Obviously I'm not a dispassionate unbiased observer, :lol: but I'd like to see Swift dropped and a run of games at AMC for Ejaria.

252 posts