That Robin Friday goal, now visible on video (sort of)

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

That Robin Friday goal, now visible on video (sort of)

by Greatwesternline » 16 Apr 2019 12:19

I wasn't born when he scored "that goal".

But from the various ways i've seen it described, it sounds a lot like a goal that was scored by Exeter this weekend, which can be seen in the following tweet:
https://twitter.com/QuestTV/status/1117141653893128194

For those of you who were there, (presumably everyone other than me on this board) does this goal look similar?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: That Robin Friday goal, now visible on video (sort of)

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Apr 2019 12:34

I wasn't there (I was 4 at the time) but what people who were there have told me is that Friday hit his more on the turn, almost over his shoulder.

I remember Dean Horrix scoring one against Gillingham in 1986 which I always imagined was similar in that he hit it shoulder high on the turn.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 16 Apr 2019 12:52

That is a well taken goal but nothing like Fridays.

He collected the ball on his thigh outside the 'D' of the penalty area, about 25 yards from goal and with his back still to goal swung and volleyed it into the top right hand corner (from his viewpoint) of the goal.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Apr 2019 13:09

I wasn't one of the 50,000 who claim to have been there, but I heard it was from the halfway line and he celebrated by knocking a row of policemen's helmets off and then rushing to the changing room to take a dump in Mark Lawrenson's kit bag and downing 4 pints of lager and a shot.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 16 Apr 2019 13:11

Forbury Lion I wasn't one of the 50,000 who claim to have been there, but I heard it was from the halfway line and he celebrated by knocking a row of policemen's helmets off and then rushing to the changing room to take a dump in Mark Lawrenson's kit bag and downing 4 pints of lager and a shot.

You forgot to mention the 40 fags he smoked between hitting the shot & the re-start

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Apr 2019 14:14

AS someone who was at that game I can assure you Friday was actually sat on a stool in the Public bar of the Spreadeagle when he scored that goal. Didn’t spill a drop either....

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 16 Apr 2019 14:34

Love the bitterness of those that were not there, and simply can not accept that it was one of the greatest goals of all time.

Grey squirrel's view is accurate.

And for those that were not there, you surely will admit that you simply do not see an International referee (even more so the tough, emotionless Clive Thomas that night) hold his head in disbelief as to what he witnessed. It was that incredible.

Tilehurst End. 15 years old as I was then.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Apr 2019 14:45

Barney Love the bitterness of those that were not there

I actually am bitter, because I wasn't there, but I could and should have been at that game (even on a school night) :oops:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 16 Apr 2019 16:40

Barney Love the bitterness of those that were not there, and simply can not accept that it was one of the greatest goals of all time.

Grey squirrel's view is accurate.

And for those that were not there, you surely will admit that you simply do not see an International referee (even more so the tough, emotionless Clive Thomas that night) hold his head in disbelief as to what he witnessed. It was that incredible.

Tilehurst End. 15 years old as I was then.

In your opinion was it a lot better than the Exeter goal?

I think that Exeter goal is pretty special fwiw.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Apr 2019 17:18

Nameless AS someone who was at that game I can assure you Friday was actually sat on a stool in the Public bar of the Spreadeagle when he scored that goal. Didn’t spill a drop either....

What a load of bollocks.

He was on the roof of the Spread Eagle when he hit it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Apr 2019 17:18

Greatwesternline I wasn't born when he scored "that goal".

But from the various ways i've seen it described, it sounds a lot like a goal that was scored by Exeter this weekend, which can be seen in the following tweet:
https://twitter.com/QuestTV/status/1117141653893128194

For those of you who were there, (presumably everyone other than me on this board) does this goal look similar?

Relatively close to it but definitely no cigar!

Friday was further out and in a more central position. He also, IIRC, took one less touch before finding the back of the net.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 16 Apr 2019 17:49

Close, but not close enough for the Fuhrer. Ball came in to Friday just outside the 'D' (23-25 yds) on the right and he had his back to goal. Still think that the closest I have seen is Thierry Henry's goal v Man Utd in 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksz6K-tJ6Nc although Friday's goal was hit with more power and dip and hit the side netting to the keeper's left.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Apr 2019 17:51

THe exeter goal isn’t even as good as Billy Whitehurst’s effort, let alone Friday’s !

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 16 Apr 2019 19:29

Ark Royal Close, but not close enough for the Fuhrer. Ball came in to Friday just outside the 'D' (23-25 yds) on the right and he had his back to goal. Still think that the closest I have seen is Thierry Henry's goal v Man Utd in 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksz6K-tJ6Nc although Friday's goal was hit with more power and dip and hit the side netting to the keeper's left.

Gotta take a slight issue with you there Ark. I’m sure he was slightly to the left of the ‘D’!

I was stood right at the very front of the South Bank in the middle by the gate onto the pitch and I only remember it because my old man went mental when he did it, which was very unusual for him. I just thought that was what Robin did!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 16 Apr 2019 21:04

grey_squirrel
Ark Royal Close, but not close enough for the Fuhrer. Ball came in to Friday just outside the 'D' (23-25 yds) on the right and he had his back to goal. Still think that the closest I have seen is Thierry Henry's goal v Man Utd in 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksz6K-tJ6Nc although Friday's goal was hit with more power and dip and hit the side netting to the keeper's left.

Gotta take a slight issue with you there Ark. I’m sure he was slightly to the left of the ‘D’!

I was stood right at the very front of the South Bank in the middle by the gate onto the pitch and I only remember it because my old man went mental when he did it, which was very unusual for him. I just thought that was what Robin did!

On the right from behind the goal, but agree left if you were looking from the South Bank. I think the ball came in to him from Reading's left from Bruce Stuckey, but it may have been Tommy Youlden?

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1