MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h) sponsored by Brian Howard

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h) sponsored by Brian Howard

by Sutekh » 19 Apr 2019 21:05

When : Monday 22nd April, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Three games left and anywhere between 0 and 5 points needed to mathematically secure safety, trouble is we just don’t know what is needed and won’t until it’s achieved. Could all be settled though if Rotherham failed to win at home against Birmingham and Reading managed to win this one.

Trouble is though there is a not too unreasonable chance that Rotherham will turn Brum over and Reading will get done by Gayle and Rodriguez Albion and so drag it all onto the next game.

And that’s the problem, Reading are tackling WBA whose goal threat is monumental with Gayle having netted 23 goals from 31 appearances while Rodriguez has managed a mere 21 from his 42 appearances, however keep those two quiet and the Albion will have problems scoring!

WBA have lost 4 of their last 10 league games (they’ve won 5 in that time) including both of their last 2 games on the road so there is a chink in their armour to exploit if Reading can work out where it is and throw the right ammunition at it but this is going to be as tough as it gets and I expect every one of us would take a point now if it was offered.

Gareth Barry is injured and will miss the game for the Baggies who otherwise appear to have a largely clean bill of health so HRK may well get his usual slot on their bench. Expecting that Reading haven’t suffered any further injury setbacks and so I don’t think it would be too much of a surprise to see the same line up that took to the field at Bristol City start the game.

While the expectation for Reading to win is low, making the game pretty much a ‘free hit’ to some extent, the fans need to play on that and therefore really make it a cup tie atmosphere and so do as much as possible to make it a herd experience for the West Midlanders. And let’s face it they do not like cup games in Reading....

Referee

Gavin Ward returns already, hot on the heels of his visit last month when he allowed Leeds to pick up the points. Reading have lost the last 3 home games played under his management and haven’t even scored in that run so it’s about time something changed.

Previously

12 Mar 2018 > Reading 0-3 Leeds United
01 Sep 2018 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
25 Aug 2015 > Portsmouth 1-2 Reading (League Cup)
20 Dec 2014 > Reading 0-1 Watford
25 Oct 2014 > Reading 3-0 Blackpool
17 Apr 2012 > Reading 1-0 Nottingham Forest
01 Feb 2011 > Cardiff City 2-2 Reading
16 Mar 2010 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
11 Aug 2009 > Reading 5-1 Burton Albion (League Cup)

Historically

This is the sixteenth league season shared with WBA and so far it’s all square all round with 5 wins each and 5 draws.

WBA, though, have only failed to score on 1 occasion while Reading have failed to score on 2 occasions so it all rather suggests there are goals to be had in this one. Going to take quite a performance to keep Gayle and Rodriguez quiet though....

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h) sponsored by Brian Howard

by windermereROYAL » 19 Apr 2019 21:53

For whatever reason Rodriguez was rested today, seems odd with only a few games to go, hopefully Gayle on Monday, they are almost assured a play-off spot already.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 20 Apr 2019 07:48

windermereROYAL For whatever reason Rodriguez was rested today, seems odd with only a few games to go, hopefully Gayle on Monday, they are almost assured a play-off spot already.

They word almost is the problem here..they still have something to play for which is unfortunate. However, given our recent form I still feel there's a reasonable chance of taking a point..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2019 07:58

I think they are 99% certain of being in the play offs

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them start to rest or rotate a few - though there is ages until the play offs actually start

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Apr 2019 08:00

It`s not unreasonable to believe that Albion could secure their play-off place Monday, then they play Rotherham next week with several key players rested. really need to do a job on them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2019 08:53

They’ll still want 3rd our 4th place though for the second leg at home

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Apr 2019 10:10

I would have taken a draw at BC before kick off, as I would in all our recent away fixtures that secured a point, but I'm not buying that, in our current form, most Reading fans expectations for Monday are "low"

If we can beat Preston we can beat a Baggies team that is going to make the play offs. Of course they could beat us but one more win will put this season to bed. Having gained priceless points on our travels, the place to do that is at home and I don't see Gomes biding his time until the last day of the campaign.

This won't be a day for 3 at the back but I think he might still leave Oliveira on the bench and let Meite and Barrow continue their rapidly improving partnership.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 20 Apr 2019 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2019 10:37

Yep, be very disappointed with less than a point

Millwall beat this bunch ffs

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 20 Apr 2019 22:05

I just have this feeling that momentum is with us and a sneaky 2-1 is going our way and safety secured...........

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2019 23:39

I would really hope we can get close to 20,000 on Monday. The weather forecast is great, we are in good form and West Brom have sold their allocation. It’s also a big game.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Apr 2019 00:31

Moore looked uncomfortable with his shoulder again on Friday. Hopefully he can see the season out.

Rather than 5 at the back. Play Yiadom in central midfield. This would allow Baker and Rinomhota to alternate and push forward further.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 21 Apr 2019 18:47

Still trying to decide on an acceptable approach to tomorrow. Other than a sense of dread. Can’t fully anaesthetise at the Nag’s beforehand, as I’m going with my son. Getting secretly pissed afterwards will possibly only add to mental scars. May have to bring trusty Rugby hip flask. And rose-tinted sunglasses. Oh what I wouldn’t give for a steadying “The Big Bad Wolf” beforehand..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Apr 2019 19:09

Lower West Moore looked uncomfortable with his shoulder again on Friday. Hopefully he can see the season out.

Rather than 5 at the back. Play Yiadom in central midfield. This would allow Baker and Rinomhota to alternate and push forward further.

No thank you.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 21 Apr 2019 19:32

NewCorkSeth
Lower West Moore looked uncomfortable with his shoulder again on Friday. Hopefully he can see the season out.

No thank you.

+1 we are at home and need to be on the front foot so lets play the same team we sent out against Brentford
Martinez
Gunter or Blackett
Yiadom
Moore
Miagza
Baker
Rinomhota
Ejaria
Barrow
Meite
Oliveira

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2019 14:01

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore (c), Miazga, Baker, Ejaria, Rinomhota, Barrow, Méïté, Oliveira.
Subs: Walker, Gunter, Baldock, McCleary, Harriott, Loader, McIntyre.

West Bromwich Albion: Johnstone, Adarabioyo, Holgate, Bartley, Dawson, Field, Harper, Townsend, Murphy, Rodriguez, Robson-Kanu.
Subs: Bond, Gibbs, Phillips, Brunt, Mears, Gayle, Hoolahan.

Oliveira returns to the starting XI in place of Gunter

HRK starts for WBA

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2019 14:03

No Gayle is handy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2019 14:08

The Brentford approach then largely... rather than the Norwich / Bristol away version. But Blackett over Gunter.

It's nice that Gomes is starting to really settle into a couple of specific shapes and XIs and has moved on from his regular tinkering.

I always wonder what has greater influence tinkering or poor performance. Does one lead to the other more? Because you often see poorly performing sides who tinker with personnel and shape whilst successful teams often just do the same thing with the same players every week.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Apr 2019 14:40

Snowflake Royal The Brentford approach then largely... rather than the Norwich / Bristol away version. But Blackett over Gunter.

It's nice that Gomes is starting to really settle into a couple of specific shapes and XIs and has moved on from his regular tinkering.

I always wonder what has greater influence tinkering or poor performance. Does one lead to the other more? Because you often see poorly performing sides who tinker with personnel and shape whilst successful teams often just do the same thing with the same players every week.

I think it can also be more than tinkering. The best teams dont change it up because they force you to play their game.

Teams like us often make changes to counter specific threats rather than it being based on performance. Or whims. Think Omar Richard's on the left wing.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Apr 2019 15:09

Oliveira is off already. He reinjured the hamstring. Loader is on in his place...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Apr 2019 15:11

Libertine Oliveira is off already. He reinjured the hamstring. Loader is on in his place...

Meite has done his hamstring too.
Both inside 7 minutes