End of season contracts

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: End of season contracts

by Royalwaster » 23 Apr 2019 07:36

Zip
Hound Harriott May get another deal. The others ooc May as well pack their bags now

Reckon McCleary and Gunter have kept themselves at the club for their final year as a result of recent performances

The club definitely needs to trim down the playing staff though. They’d be more than happy to sell the 5 who were booted out by Gomes + Kelly, Baldock, Walker and potentially Bod. Novakovich is an odd one - he may well be cashed in on

Agree with this apart from Novakovich who surely has done enough to warrant a chance next season. Get rid of the players you have mentioned and those out on loan and not renew the likes of McShane and O’Shea and the squad will have been reduced to a realistic number. If Bod stays then Loader needs a League one loan.

Totally forgot about O'Shea ... is he injured?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2019 07:56

Royalwaster
Zip
Hound Harriott May get another deal. The others ooc May as well pack their bags now

Reckon McCleary and Gunter have kept themselves at the club for their final year as a result of recent performances

The club definitely needs to trim down the playing staff though. They’d be more than happy to sell the 5 who were booted out by Gomes + Kelly, Baldock, Walker and potentially Bod. Novakovich is an odd one - he may well be cashed in on

Agree with this apart from Novakovich who surely has done enough to warrant a chance next season. Get rid of the players you have mentioned and those out on loan and not renew the likes of McShane and O’Shea and the squad will have been reduced to a realistic number. If Bod stays then Loader needs a League one loan.

Totally forgot about O'Shea ... is he injured?

Yes

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 08:05

Ranty McRantface Out of contract or not the club need to offload a lot of players and it has been alluded to before that they will offer players out for free as well. Lowering the wage bill is definitely our top priority. I think we will see the below leave or be offered out for nothing to trim the wage bill.

Aluko
O'Shea
McShane
Gunter
Gravenberch
Watson
Sam Smith
Harriot
McCleary
Mannone
Walker
Swift (if there is a big transfer fee)
Novakovich (I hope we stays but I think the club will sell if there is a big transfer fee)
Bodvardsson
Baldock
Ward
Barrett
Popa
Kelly
House
Van Den Berg

Don’t think this is miles off. Harriott, Gunter and McCleary might well stay. Fact that Gunter and McCleary are ooc end of next year means there is no long term commitment to their wages

Think Ward is quite well rated and has had some good experience this year so think he’ll stay on

We’ll struggle to sell Baldock, Mannone and Aluko tbh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2019 08:19

Zip

Novakovich has done more than enough, that is why he has become a sellable asset. 9 goals and 2 assists for a team he has helped keep up is an impressive haul. His stock in Holland will be very high - I would imagine we will get at least one bid of 2-3m for him this summer from an upper mid-table Dutch club, maybe a Vitesse or an AZ. I think we will take that.

He has been living in Holland now for 2 years and likely very settled, he has less and less of a link to Reading - as a club we are pretty good at thinking about the players career and life too - it makes sense for him to move on to Holland permanently esp as he only has one year left on his deal.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 23 Apr 2019 08:19

Hound
Ranty McRantface Out of contract or not the club need to offload a lot of players and it has been alluded to before that they will offer players out for free as well. Lowering the wage bill is definitely our top priority. I think we will see the below leave or be offered out for nothing to trim the wage bill.

Aluko
O'Shea
McShane
Gunter
Gravenberch
Watson
Sam Smith
Harriot
McCleary
Mannone
Walker
Novakovich (I hope we stays but I think the club will sell if there is a big transfer fee)
Bodvardsson
Baldock
Ward
Barrett
Popa
Kelly
House
Van Den Berg

Don’t think this is miles off. Harriott, Gunter and McCleary might well stay. Fact that Gunter and McCleary are ooc end of next year means there is no long term commitment to their wages

Think Ward is quite well rated and has had some good experience this year so think he’ll stay on

Ward is OK but Southwood is the better prospect and has performed better than Ward on loan this season. I also think with the emergence of Boyce-Clarke the club would be keen to make Southwood no.1 or 2 and have Boyce-Clark featuring for the U23s more regularly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Apr 2019 08:20

Ranty McRantface
Hound

Aluko
O'Shea
McShane
Gunter
Gravenberch
Watson
Sam Smith
Harriot
McCleary
Mannone
Walker
Bodvardsson
Baldock
Ward
Barrett
Popa
Kelly
House
Van Den Berg

Ward is OK but Southwood is the better prospect and has performed better than Ward on loan this season.

You've seen them both live on a few occasions to know this?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 09:56

Are we safe enough to start a "squad for next season" thread?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Apr 2019 10:01

Nameless
TiagoIlori Don’t think Gomes rates Harriott so I see him leaving, glad we gave him the chance to regain his squad role but just isn’t the same anymore. Can see Bodvarsson, Kelly, Baldilocks all being forced out though. McShane is worth keeping around imo, but if he does leave we need a defender in his prime to replace him otherwise the defence is a bit too young and inexperienced for my liking.

What role is McShane worth keeping for ?he is a nice bloke, does a lot of great community work but his days as a championship centre back are behind him. There will be plenty of seasoned pros available if we want some experience in the squad and I would agree we need a reliable partner for Moore while we bring the young players through gradually, but McShane is not the answer.

For the O’Shea role so as a mentor for our younger players, I firmly believe he’s the kind of character we want in the dressing room which is just as important as a first teamer imo. If we do find someone a similar age but better I’m all for it having said that, just being realistic at this point.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 10:08

TiagoIlori
Nameless
TiagoIlori Don’t think Gomes rates Harriott so I see him leaving, glad we gave him the chance to regain his squad role but just isn’t the same anymore. Can see Bodvarsson, Kelly, Baldilocks all being forced out though. McShane is worth keeping around imo, but if he does leave we need a defender in his prime to replace him otherwise the defence is a bit too young and inexperienced for my liking.

What role is McShane worth keeping for ?he is a nice bloke, does a lot of great community work but his days as a championship centre back are behind him. There will be plenty of seasoned pros available if we want some experience in the squad and I would agree we need a reliable partner for Moore while we bring the young players through gradually, but McShane is not the answer.

For the O’Shea role so as a mentor for our younger players, I firmly believe he’s the kind of character we want in the dressing room which is just as important as a first teamer imo. If we do find someone a similar age but better I’m all for it having said that, just being realistic at this point.

Isn’t O’Shea the ideal one for the O’Shea role ?
When he came it was said it would be a one year playing deal then a move into coaching. If you have acentre back with 100 plus caps On the staff do you need another old pro hanging around as well ?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Apr 2019 10:20

Nameless
TiagoIlori
Nameless

When he came it was said it would be a one year playing deal then a move into coaching. If you have acentre back with 100 plus caps On the staff do you need another old pro hanging around as well ?

Also not sure McShane is the answer as "character we want in the dressing room" - he can be difficult, and has poor relationships with virtually every manager he has ever worked under, prior coming to Reading - and there's no reason why that would be any different now.

I guess O Shea won't be "in the dressing room" any more if he moves into coaching - but it's not like there's no experience in that dressing room either. I think McCleary, and maybe Gunter will see out their contracts. Liam Moore is 26, he's not a shy 18 year old. Andy Yiadom is 28. How "seasoned" do you want them to be?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Apr 2019 16:22

Sutekh Senior players of contract in the summer of 2019

Gravenberch
    Harriott
    Jaakkola
    McShane
    O’Shea
    Van den Berg

Reckon Harriott should be offered a new deal and O’Shea should move into the coaching side. Expect the rest to be released.

For the record the following senior players have contracts up in the summer of 2020

Blackett
    Bodvarsson
    Gunter
    Kelly
    Loader
    Mannone
    McCleary
    Meyler
    Obita
    Popa

Confused over Popa who I thought was up this year and Blackett who the Tilehurst End OS has detailed as both 2019 in one article and 2020 in another (see link below for main list).

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... ract-dates

At the end of the day all players in contract are available to move at the right price. The most sellable assets are still Moore and Swift but they are on long deals. Rinomhota has to be the most youngster at most risk of being sold but in all cases it would be serious wedge if they left.

Really hoping Novakovich gets a chance with Reading next season with Loader getting a decent loan spell in div. 3/4

This is where I got the Popa detail from
https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... a-signing/

Remember he was loaned by Gomes to Al-Taawoun, wonder if he might be involved next season?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Apr 2019 16:24

Nameless
TiagoIlori
Nameless

When he came it was said it would be a one year playing deal then a move into coaching. If you have a centre back with 100 plus caps On the staff do you need another old pro hanging around as well ?

By many accounts Moore and GMac do the majority of this...

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Apr 2019 17:20

Nameless
TiagoIlori
Nameless

He’s far too old for me personally, but if he gets a coaching role then so be bit with McShane. However, it is entirely up to Gomes now as Clement was the one who signed him

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Apr 2019 17:29

muirinho
Nameless
TiagoIlori For the O’Shea role so as a mentor for our younger players, I firmly believe he’s the kind of character we want in the dressing room which is just as important as a first teamer imo. If we do find someone a similar age but better I’m all for it having said that, just being realistic at this point.

Also not sure McShane is the answer as "character we want in the dressing room" - he can be difficult, and has poor relationships with virtually every manager he has ever worked under, prior coming to Reading - and there's no reason why that would be any different now.

I guess O Shea won't be "in the dressing room" any more if he moves into coaching - but it's not like there's no experience in that dressing room either. I think McCleary, and maybe Gunter will see out their contracts. Liam Moore is 26, he's not a shy 18 year old. Andy Yiadom is 28. How "seasoned" do you want them to be?

Liam Moore has only had 4 1/2 seasons where he has been playing a lot. Yiadom has only played 3 seasons at this level and I’m very sure only recently(3/4 years ago) he actually was converted to a right back. Paul McShane was mainly a bit part player for Hull but the difference is he’s still had more seasons than both of them combined and has a number of Ireland caps.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 17:55

TiagoIlori
Nameless
TiagoIlori For the O’Shea role so as a mentor for our younger players, I firmly believe he’s the kind of character we want in the dressing room which is just as important as a first teamer imo. If we do find someone a similar age but better I’m all for it having said that, just being realistic at this point.

He’s far too old for me personally, but if he gets a coaching role then so be bit with McShane. However, it is entirely up to Gomes now as Clement was the one who signed him

How can O’Shea be too old to coach at 36 ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2019 17:56

Nameless
TiagoIlori
Nameless

If we want someone with character to mentor young players we should hire them as a coach (on a much cheaper salary), not resign a player who is no longer up to it on the pitch. So I agree, apart from being very dubious about O'Shea as a coach. I'd rather someone who is a coach than an past it ex pro who might be interested in learning to be o e.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Apr 2019 20:01

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

If we want someone with character to mentor young players we should hire them as a coach (on a much cheaper salary), not resign a player who is no longer up to it on the pitch. So I agree, apart from being very dubious about O'Shea as a coach. I'd rather someone who is a coach than an past it ex pro who might be interested in learning to be o e.

How do you know O’Shea is not a good coach ? Ex players do sometimes make good coaches. He has done his coaching badges so is possibly a bit more than some who might fancy learning to be a coach. You’d think 20 years as a pro, 100 international caps, multiple medals might just give him a few things to pass on....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Apr 2019 20:32

TiagoIlori
muirinho
Nameless

Liam Moore has only had 4 1/2 seasons where he has been playing a lot. Yiadom has only played 3 seasons at this level and I’m very sure only recently(3/4 years ago) he actually was converted to a right back. Paul McShane was mainly a bit part player for Hull but the difference is he’s still had more seasons than both of them combined and has a number of Ireland caps.

Yep, but I think it's very likely McCleary, and fairly likely Gunter will still be here. Both loads of seasons, both internationals, both have played more games than McShane. I just don't see him as necessary. If he still had another year to run, then yeah, wouldn't be top of my list to get rid of, but I think signing him on for another year is a bit dumb.

Also, could you keep him but take away the captaincy? At this stage Moore deserves the full captaincy, not just during the games.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 23 Apr 2019 20:55

Aluko
O'Shea
McShane
Gunter
Gravenberch
Watson
Sam Smith
Harriot
McCleary
Mannone
Walker
Bodvardsson
Baldock
Ward
Barrett
Popa
Kelly
House
Van Den Berg

Yes i would be up for any of those going.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2019 21:05

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

How do you know O’Shea is not a good coach ? Ex players do sometimes make good coaches. He has done his coaching badges so is possibly a bit more than some who might fancy learning to be a coach. You’d think 20 years as a pro, 100 international caps, multiple medals might just give him a few things to pass on....

FFS Nameless you've got a real problem at the moment.

I haven't said he isn't a good coach. I haven't said he can't be a good coach. I said I'm dubious about having him learn on the job with us when we could get someone with a track record.

Being a successful pro is no indication of being a good coach, as we've seen time and time again, so I don't really care about his playing record.