On this day

413 posts
Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: On this day

by Jerry St Clair » 26 Apr 2019 15:09

26 April 1997
Reading 2 - 0 Oldham

"OK, it's a cliche - but Glasgow and Roach are definately ones for the future. They both put in some great touches, some nice passes, and set chances up. Roach took his goal well and was clearly up for getting a second. They both had excellent games - expect to see a lot more of these two next season."

Er.............

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Apr 2019 16:35

Jerry St Clair 26 April 1997
Reading 2 - 0 Oldham

"OK, it's a cliche - but Glasgow and Roach are definately ones for the future. They both put in some great touches, some nice passes, and set chances up. Roach took his goal well and was clearly up for getting a second. They both had excellent games - expect to see a lot more of these two next season."

Er.............

I was there JsC and that's exactly what I thought as well.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 26 Apr 2019 18:43

leon
Reading 2 - 0 Oldham

Er.............

Indeed. There was another game, Southend maybe, when Roach scored two superb goals and I told anyone that would listen that he was the next Michael Owen and would play for England :oops:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Apr 2019 21:31

Jerry St Clair
leon
Reading 2 - 0 Oldham

Er.............

Indeed. There was another game, Southend maybe, when Roach scored two superb goals and I told anyone that would listen that he was the next Michael Owen and would play for England :oops:

With very young players it’s fine margins and that. But he did look good. As did Glasgow - however he seemed to be a bit of a Lambert mk2.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 27 Apr 2019 11:48

Definitely saw a game in which Roach scored.

That probably narrows things down.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 30 Apr 2019 13:35

Reading 3 Wolves 0 - you know what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82FblzkD7tc

Happy, happy days - one of the last hurrahs before the wheels really came off :D

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2019 13:52

Also the day Peter Castle became our youngest ever 1st team player:

http://hobnob.royals.org/matdoc/300403.html

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 30 Apr 2019 14:12

And 13 years ago today, a Graeme Murty penalty took us to a record-breaking 106 points...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Apr 2019 16:12

Nick Shorey my Lord! Reading 3 Wolves 0 - you know what happened

Happy, happy days - one of the last hurrahs before the wheels really came off :D
was there behind the goal witnessing with wonderment.....a beautiful bit of you-tubing and lol at the Wolves of that day.

JQ, what a hero, whatever happened to him?

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 30 Apr 2019 16:39

Stranded Also the day Peter Castle became our youngest ever 1st team player:

Here's an original idea never been done before. How many of this team would you take, at that time, for next season?

Hahnemann, Brown, Watson (Campbell 79), Viveash, Shorey, Rougier (Cureton 66), Hughes, Newman, Sidwell, Tyson (Castle 79), Henderson. Subs not used: Mackie, Ashdown.

4 for me, USA, Shorey, Cureton and Sidwell. That'd put some instant shine on the current squad.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2019 17:29

AthleticoSpizz

was there behind the goal witnessing with wonderment.....a beautiful bit of you-tubing and lol at the Wolves of that day.

Though excellent, not as good as the 2-1 result. Wish we could go back and watch that game, not knowing what was going to happen, again and again 8)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Apr 2019 18:02

Nick Shorey my Lord!

Here's an original idea never been done before. How many of this team would you take, at that time, for next season?

Hahnemann, Brown, Watson (Campbell 79), Viveash, Shorey, Rougier (Cureton 66), Hughes, Newman, Sidwell, Tyson (Castle 79), Henderson. Subs not used: Mackie, Ashdown.

4 for me, USA, Shorey, Cureton and Sidwell. That'd put some instant shine on the current squad.

I'd take the 2003 vintage Viveash and Brown ahead of McShane and O'Shea any day of the week.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Apr 2019 18:04

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz

Though excellent, not as good as the 2-1 result. Wish we could go back and watch that game, not knowing what was going to happen, again and again 8)

I'd quite happily watch any home game against Wolves from 1994 to 1997 again and again.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Apr 2019 18:49

From Despair To Where?
Nick Shorey my Lord!

I'd take the 2003 vintage Viveash and Brown ahead of McShane and O'Shea any day of the week.
agree, and Ricky Newman was no shirker either...plenty of ‘hard-man’ passion

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Apr 2019 19:57

AthleticoSpizz

He has drifted a lot over the years and at one time was a lorry driver.
We shared one thing in life, the same physio/masseuse-nothing naughty.
Having checked, I can' t believe that,although he was no youngster when he came to us, he will be 60 later this year.

In that clip there was Martyn Williams, a player I liked and had high hopes for.
A reminder that we have had Martyn Williams, Neville Roach, Sam Smith etc. as young promising strikers so to be wary that early promise doesn't always lead to success and, much as we would like them to succeed, it is not a gimme that they will.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Apr 2019 20:11

Whilst in total agreement Vic

As much as I am bemused that the likes of JQ can be so far down the pecking order of ‘all good things in RFC’ history’

I would like to think that our ‘youngsters of this day’ are better educated and schooled within our academies to progress and withstand the expectantacies that are put upon them....none moreso than Masters Loader and Rinhomota right now.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Apr 2019 20:46

AthleticoSpizz
From Despair To Where?
Nick Shorey my Lord!

agree, and Ricky Newman was no shirker either...plenty of ‘hard-man’ passion

Newman was the other one I was thinking of. Could play DM and RB (may have even filled in at CB). Not the most talented player but guts and heart aplenty.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Apr 2019 22:41

Reading 2 - 0 Oldham

Er.............

Where are they now?. Remember that game well thinking we will be fine the next season our last before the big move. Why SJM sacked Mick and Jim with no back up plan so ended up with Terry the taxi and the rest is history.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

29 Years ago today

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 May 2019 10:14

Final game of the season.

Birmingham City 0-1 Reading

Michael Gilkes scores late with the most unwanted Reading goal in history. Birmingham denied a play off spot.

Anyone else at this game? Genuinely terrifying exprience trying to make it to the station afterwards.

Game held up due to 2 mass pitch invasions. Tried to make a run for it to the station whuilst the first was taking place. this backfired as they all poured through the main stand and out in to the road. Had to do a u turn and head back into the away end!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2019 11:21

Jackson Corner
Reading 2 - 0 Oldham

Er.............

Where are they now?. Remember that game well thinking we will be fine the next season our last before the big move. Why SJM sacked Mick and Jim with no back up plan so ended up with Terry the taxi and the rest is history.

Neville Roach is now coaching at Basingstoke Town

Byron Glasgow I last heard of playing in the Sussex County League about 7 years ago, Grinstead Town I think.

Both players are now 40 years old :shock:

413 posts