Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Hound » 05 May 2019 17:00

Zip Very telling that Bodvarsson wasn’t in the squad even thought he was fit. No game time for Baldock or Ezatolahi. Kelly and Harriott not in the squad. I would be surprised if any of these players were still here next season

Bod and Baldock fit into a group who Gomes would rather see go for cash but could work with if they stay I suspect. See also Gunter and McCleary

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2019 17:12

POSSIBLE DEPARTURES (anyone really but these are the most likely): Mannone (perm Jan 2020 after loan return), Walker, Jaakkola (ooc), McShane (ooc), O’Shea (retiring), Gravenberch, Richards (loan), Gunter (50:50 on him), Kelly (loan, although Courtney Friday is reporting he might leave for a cut price deal), Meyler, Van Den Berg, Harriott (ooc), Popa, Bodvarsson (50:50 on him as well), Baldock, McNulty, Smith (loan or perm), House (loan)

May have accidentally missed some players out, looks a pretty comprehensive list though.

LOAN PLAYERS RETURNING TO THEIR PARENT CLUBS: Martinez, Miazga, Baker, Ezatolahi, Ejaria, Oliveira

We may also look to get people out who are on ‘Gourlay contracts’, regardless of their value to the team.

That’s a lot of possible departures, could be a very good way of clearing wages off the books. Will be interesting to see how easy/difficult it will be getting these players out though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 17:25

What would constitute ‘cut-price’ for Kelly?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 17:27

Hound What would constitute ‘cut-price’ for Kelly?

10 pence.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 05 May 2019 17:28

Think his contract runs out next July. Can't see it being anything more than £1m despite his potential. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 17:31

In all seriousness kelly has had a poor season but some of the people who slate kelly were probably the same ones that slated Norwood who now has back to back to back promotions

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 17:33

RoyalJones

Think his contract runs out next July. Can't see it being anything more than £1m despite his potential. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Would another Championship team want him? I’m not convinced. So if he has to drop a division we would struggle to get more than £500;000 for him imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 17:58

Hound
Zip Very telling that Bodvarsson wasn’t in the squad even thought he was fit. No game time for Baldock or Ezatolahi. Kelly and Harriott not in the squad. I would be surprised if any of these players were still here next season

Bod and Baldock fit into a group who Gomes would rather see go for cash but could work with if they stay I suspect. See also Gunter and McCleary

Agree with this. All four are solid, Gunter especially. Bod and Baldock shouldn't be too costly on the wage front. McCleary and Gunter may well be, but we'll struggle to replace them with the same quality without spending a lot more than we receive for them in fees.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 18:01

Zip
RoyalJones

Would another Championship team want him? I’m not convinced. So if he has to drop a division we would struggle to get more than £500;000 for him imo.

He hasn't had a particularly poor season. Bar potential attitude issues he's easily worth seven figures and good enough to go to half a dozen Championship clubs.

I doubt he's on a crazy contract either.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 18:07

Snowflake Royal
Zip
RoyalJones Think his contract runs out next July. Can't see it being anything more than £1m despite his potential. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

He hasn't had a particularly poor season. Bar potential attitude issues he's easily worth seven figures and good enough to go to half a dozen Championship clubs.

I doubt he's on a crazy contract either.

We will see Ian. I’m not convinced other Championship teams would want him. Agree that he wasn’t particularly poor. He was working hard in his last few games in the side.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 18:09

I think realistically we’ll struggle to get anything much at all for players like Kelly, and at a slightly lower level, Smith and Watson. I’m guessing Kelly is on pretty high wages considering he signed the contract when his stock was highest.

I reckon Kelly will go for about 3-500k, and we’ll end up giving away quite a few for next to nothing - Meyler, Smith, Watson, Walker and even possibly Baldock

Slightly different cases but we paid to get rid of Edwards and Joey, and are paying part of Mannone’s wages I expect.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 18:11

Hound I think realistically we’ll struggle to get anything much at all for players like Kelly, and at a slightly lower level, Smith and Watson. I’m guessing Kelly is on pretty high wages considering he signed the contract when his stock was highest.

I reckon Kelly will go for about 3-500k, and we’ll end up giving away quite a few for next to nothing - Meyler, Smith, Watson, Walker and even possibly Baldock

Slightly different cases but we paid to get rid of Edwards and Joey, and are paying part of Mannone’s wages I expect.

Agreed. I can see Kelly dropping a level too.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 18:21

URZZZZ In all seriousness kelly has had a poor season but some of the people who slate kelly were probably the same ones that slated Norwood who now has back to back to back promotions

3 of them :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2019 18:21

If he's on high wages then I agree we may struggle to shift. But given our dearth of options if he hasn't totally burnt his bridges it may well be more financially viable to keep him. I mean we basically have one proper midfielder otherwise.

If he's on high wages he's not going to step down to L1 without us having to continue part paying him and certainly few L1 teams will be able to afford a big fee for him.

I think he could fit in at the likes of QPR, Wigan, Preston, Brentford, Luton, Barnsley, Charlton/ Pompey / Doncaster at Champ level though.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 18:30

URZZZZ In all seriousness kelly has had a poor season but some of the people who slate kelly were probably the same ones that slated Norwood who now has back to back to back promotions

Kelly isn't a bad footballer per se. Just hasn't improved enough to be guaranteed a regular starting place at Championship level. Norwood would be ok in team formation such as Jose used today. In a 4-4-2 not as effective.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 May 2019 18:33

I assume we'll be relying on loans again next season but looking at the impact our 5/6 had this year I don't think it's a bad way of working until we get the wage bill sorted out. Also looking around the league, there's a lot of loanees who've made big impacts. Jack Harrison at Leeds, Dean Henderson at Sheffield utd, Mount, Tomori, wilson at derby. Dasilva and Kalas at Bristol city and Reece James at wigan, probably plenty of others too.
If we can get the right players on season loans there's no reason we can't finish higher next season.

Can see hull coming in for Kelly if Adkins stays there, on loan I guess
Last edited by Simon's Church on 05 May 2019 18:36, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 18:34

Yep exactly. Need to find equally as good loans next year

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 May 2019 18:49

Simon's Church I assume we'll be relying on loans again next season but looking at the impact our 5/6 had this year I don't think it's a bad way of working until we get the wage bill sorted out. Also looking around the league, there's a lot of loanees who've made big impacts. Jack Harrison at Leeds, Dean Henderson at Sheffield utd, Mount, Tomori, wilson at derby. Dasilva and Kalas at Bristol city and Reece James at wigan, probably plenty of others too.
If we can get the right players on season loans there's no reason we can't finish higher next season.

With Gomes system and style of play, I'm guessing that bigger clubs may be more willing to loan us players than they were last Summer. And presumably the returning loanees now, will have good things to say. Hope so anyway.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 May 2019 19:04

Zip

10 pence.

We could possibly speed up a few departures by doing a buy 1 get 2 free maybe?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 May 2019 19:25

Denver Royal
Simon's Church I assume we'll be relying on loans again next season but looking at the impact our 5/6 had this year I don't think it's a bad way of working until we get the wage bill sorted out. Also looking around the league, there's a lot of loanees who've made big impacts. Jack Harrison at Leeds, Dean Henderson at Sheffield utd, Mount, Tomori, wilson at derby. Dasilva and Kalas at Bristol city and Reece James at wigan, probably plenty of others too.

With Gomes system and style of play, I'm guessing that bigger clubs may be more willing to loan us players than they were last Summer. And presumably the returning loanees now, will have good things to say. Hope so anyway.

Maybe, I think Clement still has a good reputation as a coach though so that wouldn't have held us back last summer. Clement chose to focus on experience though

1826 posts