BFT(final)G

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFT(final)G

by Scutterbucketz » 05 May 2019 21:35

Nice that the ref allowed that shit to happen in a competitive game.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 May 2019 21:39

I believe Ejaria and Baker had relatively hard times at other clubs they've been loaned to. They have little chance of regular 1st team action at Liverpool and Chelsea, so maybe their parent clubs would be happy for a full season loan with us next season as they look as though could be regulars for a full season if they were to spend it with us. Might be a little bit of a plus for us in negotiations? That might even apply to Miazga and Martinez too.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 21:45

strap I believe Ejaria and Baker had relatively hard times at other clubs they've been loaned to. They have little chance of regular 1st team action at Liverpool and Chelsea, so maybe their parent clubs would be happy for a full season loan with us next season as they look as though could be regulars for a full season if they were to spend it with us. Might be a little bit of a plus for us in negotiations? That might even apply to Miazga and Martinez too.

You’d hope so, I made the same point before. A season long loan in the championship would be the best decision for players like Baker, Ovie and Miazga, less so Martinez who at his age would probably look to move somewhere permanently because as much as I love him he’s never going to be Arsenal number 1. I really think the loanees have enjoyed their time here they genuinly seem at home here.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 May 2019 22:03

CountryRoyal
strap I believe Ejaria and Baker had relatively hard times at other clubs they've been loaned to. They have little chance of regular 1st team action at Liverpool and Chelsea, so maybe their parent clubs would be happy for a full season loan with us next season as they look as though could be regulars for a full season if they were to spend it with us. Might be a little bit of a plus for us in negotiations? That might even apply to Miazga and Martinez too.

You’d hope so, I made the same point before. A season long loan in the championship would be the best decision for players like Baker, Ovie and Miazga, less so Martinez who at his age would probably look to move somewhere permanently because as much as I love him he’s never going to be Arsenal number 1. I really think the loanees have enjoyed their time here they genuinly seem at home here.

@Smudgersport - I hear it's very unlikely Lewis Baker will stay at #readingfc for financial reasons. Real shame as loves the club and has been superb in a dm role he wasn't accustomed to. Nice guy as well.

This hurts - he's my priority to keep.

Did say keep an eye in Miazga though. Can see Baker being loaned back again possibly.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 May 2019 22:04

Scutterbucketz Nice that the ref allowed that shit to happen in a competitive game.

He can't exactly stop the players as long as they remain on the field of play. Unless he starts booking everyone for time wasting.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 05 May 2019 22:05

When I heard the line up pre KO I was worried where the goals would come from, so quickly placed a tenner bet online for a 0-0, thank you very much. Actually worked out the starting 11 had scored 12 goals for Reading during their careers. So a bit disappointed not to see Dellor's favourite Icelandic not leading the line. he is obviously not part of Gomes's long term plans, also likewise a bit sad not to see Ezatolahi make an appearance as definitely think Gomes should take a look at this fella as I was very impressed with the limited time I've seen him appear, especially if we are going to lose Baker & Ejaria. However in Gomes we trust I suppose.

Great to see Gunts back in his normal right back position and playing a blinder too, thought Baker and Ejaria were also top draw today. Thought the most disappointing was Club 1871, whilst still decent and drowned out any Brum noise weren't a patch on previous weeks. In fact the guy standing in front of me didn't sing or clap once, why go in that section if you're not going to join in ?

Was Oliveira there today ? As firstly I heard he had got back to Norwich to be treated and then I heard he was still at Reading ???? I love what I see in Nelson but if he wasn't there, especially as It was the final game and Portuguese day then I'm sure that's not the type of "togetherness" Gomes wants to build a team with. As I say I hope I'm wrong as I believe a fit Nelson can deliver for us.

Finally "he's one of our own" Danny Loader, think the song should be "Danny Loader, he needs to go out on loan". Really believe half a season in the first division would do him and us the world of good. Currently too young, too raw and cant rely on him for goals, yet !

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 22:11

maffff
CountryRoyal

@Smudgersport - I hear it's very unlikely Lewis Baker will stay at #readingfc for financial reasons. Real shame as loves the club and has been superb in a dm role he wasn't accustomed to. Nice guy as well.

Did say keep an eye in Miazga though. Can see Baker being loaned back again possibly.

That seems strange because I’d have thought miazga would be on higher wages than baker. It’s a bit of shame that our best two loanees are from the financially crippled Chelsea

Agree with you on baker being the priority, MOTM once again today, some of his crossfield passes to Gunter were immense, shame because it looks like he’s finally settled after a string of ineffective loans before us

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 22:16

It’s a hard one but I think I’d rather Miazga if we could only get one. He’s actually fcuking amazing and I think it would be harder to get a CB anywhere as good as him then it would to replace what Baker does. But it is so hard because both are so pivotal. There’s honestly so little to pick between him Miazga and Martinez.

Re Oliveira a couple of posts up; yes he was there!

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 05 May 2019 23:02

URZZZZ Was going to post but my ratings would be pretty much the same. Rinomhota down one and ejaria down two and the rest are equal

Thought Gunter put in four absolute teasing crosses in the first half, but did nothing in the second half. He’s shown he can do it but he seems to retreat to his shell too often

Again discussed ejaria enough but I still can’t see it. He worked very hard today but contributes very little going forward. Not a patch on swift IMO

I wonder if it's a confidence thing, I know lots of players do read team boards (albeit in a different sport), and the constant (often unearned) shellacking he gets on here from a few suspects may make him focus on just trying to be a traditional RB, rather than the tireless RWB role that he excels in. Just food for thought.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 May 2019 23:03

CountryRoyal It’s a hard one but I think I’d rather Miazga if we could only get one. He’s actually fcuking amazing and I think it would be harder to get a CB anywhere as good as him then it would to replace what Baker does. But it is so hard because both are so pivotal. There’s honestly so little to pick between him Miazga and Martinez.

Re Oliveira a couple of posts up; yes he was there!

Looked like Oli did his hamstring again doing keepy uppies while the presentations being done.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 May 2019 23:05

Me and my boys joined the autograph hunters queue after the match and I'm not sure what can be read into who came down the line but only four of the loan players appeared - Oliveira, Miazga, Ezatolahi and Martinez. No sign of Ejaria, and Baker snuck out of the other door but did sign a handful of autographs when spotted. A number of the injured players were there too - Blackett and McShane - plus the non-playing Kelly. No sign of Bodvarsson or Jakkola. One of the young lads in the queue out of the blue asked Rinomhota if he was leaving and his reply seemed totally genuine when he said no.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 05 May 2019 23:21

With the loanees, loaning out players can be an absolute minefield as to what style they'll play and how often they get on the pitch.

If I were Liverpool I'd be pretty happy with how much game time and responsibility got put on Ejaria. Hence I reckon that he's fairly likely to be back, perhaps with a recall clause for if the manager changes.

Baker is apparently not happening, which is extremely unfortunate, he's been great, hopefully he finds a club to settle down at.

Miazga was loaned out to Nantes with an option to buy, who knows if we have the same, but either way Chelsea want to sell him. He'd be an exceptionally low risk high reward purchase, so I'd genuinely be disappointed if he wasn't back next year.

Martínez will be be nigh on 27 when next season starts, he has to make a choice whether he wants to play football or keep a No.2/3 jersey warm for the rest of his career. Arsenal won't make him their number one. If he does decide that he wants to play football then hopefully we'd get at least a chance to put a bid in, given that he's played over 30%(!!!) of his career games in a Reading shirt. If he doesn't want to uproot his young family from their base in London then the number of clubs competing for his signature drastically narrows in our favour.

I feel like Nelson is probably a done deal, him with Meite, Barrow, Nova and the youngsters and we may be okay.

Haven't seen enough of Eza, but would like him back next year.

As for players on the way out, I won't name names, but I can see 13-15 odd first team squad players who have probably had their day.

Hopefully Gunter isn't one of them and sticks around next season, his sort of attitude is exactly what we need to keep the youngsters pulling in the right direction.

morganb One of the young lads in the queue out of the blue asked Rinomhota if he was leaving and his reply seemed totally genuine when he said no.

If we're flogging off players like Rinomhota then that's raising a white flag. Low wage, high potential, and the right attitude to become a club legend.
Last edited by Chameleon on 05 May 2019 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 May 2019 23:24

Chameleon
URZZZZ Was going to post but my ratings would be pretty much the same. Rinomhota down one and ejaria down two and the rest are equal

Thought Gunter put in four absolute teasing crosses in the first half, but did nothing in the second half. He’s shown he can do it but he seems to retreat to his shell too often

Again discussed ejaria enough but I still can’t see it. He worked very hard today but contributes very little going forward. Not a patch on swift IMO

I wonder if it's a confidence thing, I know lots of players do read team boards (albeit in a different sport), and the constant (often unearned) shellacking he gets on here from a few suspects may make him focus on just trying to be a traditional RB, rather than the tireless RWB role that he excels in. Just food for thought.

Gunter put in lovely crosses in the first half because he was getting lovely diagonal cross-field balls pinged out to him (mostly by Baker). It worked so well that Birmingham changed their shape and pushed their full-backs wide in the second half, to cut off those passes.

With his supply cut off, he couldn't do much - he's a better traditional crosser of the ball than Yiadom, but he can't dribble around players like Yiadom can (and Obita could, once upon a time :cry:) So I don't think it was a case of "retreating into his shell", it was that tactic was deliberately being nullified.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 23:27

morganb Me and my boys joined the autograph hunters queue after the match and I'm not sure what can be read into who came down the line but only four of the loan players appeared - Oliveira, Miazga, Ezatolahi and Martinez. No sign of Ejaria, and Baker snuck out of the other door but did sign a handful of autographs when spotted. A number of the injured players were there too - Blackett and McShane - plus the non-playing Kelly. No sign of Bodvarsson or Jakkola. One of the young lads in the queue out of the blue asked Rinomhota if he was leaving and his reply seemed totally genuine when he said no.

Literally nothing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 23:37

muirinho
Chameleon

Gunter put in lovely crosses in the first half because he was getting lovely diagonal cross-field balls pinged out to him (mostly by Baker). It worked so well that Birmingham changed their shape and pushed their full-backs wide in the second half, to cut off those passes.

With his supply cut off, he couldn't do much - he's a better traditional crosser of the ball than Yiadom, but he can't dribble around players like Yiadom can (and Obita could, once upon a time :cry:) So I don't think it was a case of "retreating into his shell", it was that tactic was deliberately being nullified.

Sorry didn’t word it very well

I was talking about generally Gunter does seem to retreat to his shell, I think (possibly) he’s a player based off confidence so as soon as he put one good cross in, he had the confidence to keep trying

It wasn’t a case of him doing it in this particular game, as you say, Birmingham seemed to change their tactics to nullify his threat

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 May 2019 00:08

URZZZZ
muirinho
Chameleon

Sorry didn’t word it very well

I was talking about generally Gunter does seem to retreat to his shell, I think (possibly) he’s a player based off confidence so as soon as he put one good cross in, he had the confidence to keep trying

It wasn’t a case of him doing it in this particular game, as you say, Birmingham seemed to change their tactics to nullify his threat

A couple of years ago someone said to me see what is the first thing that happens, if he gets a decent run and success at the end, or a good tackle, he usually has a good game, if he is ran at, trips, let's a cross pass or his first pass is cut out, it sets the tone for the game.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 May 2019 06:28

Kitsondinho Enjoyable game, should really have taken 3 points. Meite MOM for his efforts in Club 1871.......although I was worried he’d be injured by being mobbed!

Wouldn’t it be good if a couple of players not involved in a game were always sat in a couple of seats in club 1871 for at least for half of every game.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 May 2019 07:59

Sutekh
Kitsondinho Enjoyable game, should really have taken 3 points. Meite MOM for his efforts in Club 1871.......although I was worried he’d be injured by being mobbed!

Wouldn’t it be good if a couple of players not involved in a game were always sat in a couple of seats in club 1871 for at least for half of every game.

Only if we’re doing well :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 May 2019 08:13

Chameleon
morganb One of the young lads in the queue out of the blue asked Rinomhota if he was leaving and his reply seemed totally genuine when he said no.

If we're flogging off players like Rinomhota then that's raising a white flag. Low wage, high potential, and the right attitude to become a club legend.

Sadly we have no idea how close or otherwise we are to breaching FFP. The club are clearly seriously worried that we are close to it or even on course to break it - this summer will include 1 or 2 players going who we as fans don't want to. If we get a decent bid for Rinomhota or any player, we are very likely to take it. Whilst we would like to think there are a few players that have been ringfenced, nobody is off limits for sale this year.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 May 2019 08:31

maffff
CountryRoyal

At the moment, I wouldn't read to much into anything coming out of the club officially or unofficially. The line clearly is we must sell/get rid before we make any moves to strengthen. I will be amazed if we aren't talking to the clubs of all the loanees to see what is possible.

WCBAP as well of course, Baker won't be on a small wage at Chelsea so questions as to whether he (or indeed any on the loanees) would take the expected pay cut to join.