Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Notts Royal » 05 May 2019 21:00

URZZZZ In all seriousness kelly has had a poor season but some of the people who slate kelly were probably the same ones that slated Norwood who now has back to back to back promotions

Neither fitted into the team though...pointless having Norwood if we weren’t going to play to his strengths. Same with Kelly although personally I’m not convinced he will have a good career. Too small...not quick enough, doesn’t read the game quick enough, doesn’t display the right mentality...the list goes on

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 21:09

Notts Royal
URZZZZ In all seriousness kelly has had a poor season but some of the people who slate kelly were probably the same ones that slated Norwood who now has back to back to back promotions

Neither fitted into the team though...pointless having Norwood if we weren’t going to play to his strengths. Same with Kelly although personally I’m not convinced he will have a good career. Too small...not quick enough, doesn’t read the game quick enough, doesn’t display the right mentality...the list goes on

There’s a difference between saying “Norwood is rubbish” and “Norwood doesn’t suit our style” though. Many a person referred to him as the former. I personally thought he was quality with the odd stinker

Size isn’t an issue if you utilise your other strengths. I don’t buy the “too small” argument. I think he covers the ground relatively quickly and can read the game well fairly enough

My faults I’ve always had with him is his mentality as you say. Obviously no one can say what he’s thinking/feeling but he doesn’t have the body language of a dedicated player

And he can be too safe with his passes, which ultimately makes his role pointless

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 21:28

He needs to get back to what made him a good player in the first place. I think he has lost that identity he had as a little scrapper with a good range of passing, and now seems to represent the decline of the last two years more than anything else

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 21:48

Simon's Church
Denver Royal
Simon's Church I assume we'll be relying on loans again next season but looking at the impact our 5/6 had this year I don't think it's a bad way of working until we get the wage bill sorted out. Also looking around the league, there's a lot of loanees who've made big impacts. Jack Harrison at Leeds, Dean Henderson at Sheffield utd, Mount, Tomori, wilson at derby. Dasilva and Kalas at Bristol city and Reece James at wigan, probably plenty of others too.
If we can get the right players on season loans there's no reason we can't finish higher next season.

With Gomes system and style of play, I'm guessing that bigger clubs may be more willing to loan us players than they were last Summer. And presumably the returning loanees now, will have good things to say. Hope so anyway.

Maybe, I think Clement still has a good reputation as a coach though so that wouldn't have held us back last summer. Clement chose to focus on experience though

Clement's legacy may well be that the younger players continue to have the benefit of O'Shea as a mentor. No bad thing. If home grown academy players are our future in the near term.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2019 09:13

So if McShane, O'Shea, Jaakkola, Popa, JvdB, Gravenberch and Harriott all leave on a free that's gotta be 60-70k in wages freed up right?

Add into that selling Kelly and Meyler and maybe another 25-30k in wages freed up? Would that really not be enough to turn the financial tide?

Obviously there are other player we could see gone to balance the books and then theres the question of Swift and Moore being possible transfer targets but imagining them staying surely there would be enough left wages wise to sign a couple?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2019 10:04

NewCorkSeth So if McShane, O'Shea, Jaakkola, Popa, JvdB, Gravenberch and Harriott all leave on a free that's gotta be 60-70k in wages freed up right?

Add into that selling Kelly and Meyler and maybe another 25-30k in wages freed up? Would that really not be enough to turn the financial tide?

Obviously there are other player we could see gone to balance the books and then theres the question of Swift and Moore being possible transfer targets but imagining them staying surely there would be enough left wages wise to sign a couple?

We'll probably let Meyler go for free. We might even see Walker go so that Southwood and Ward can take up second and third choice in the goalkeeping department. Gunter may go to Cardiff City/back to another Championship club, could easily see that happen after serving us for a number of years. Same with McCleary although he may need to drop down a level.

Popa is rumoured to leave, as is Kelly on a perm deal. Baldock, McNulty and Baldock may all go if we're able to sign another striker and bring back Novakovich. If one of them doesn't go, perhaps Bodvarsson will go instead.

That's a lot of wages off our books, surely will give us chance for wiggle room as you say.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2019 10:08

RoyalJones
NewCorkSeth So if McShane, O'Shea, Jaakkola, Popa, JvdB, Gravenberch and Harriott all leave on a free that's gotta be 60-70k in wages freed up right?

We'll probably let Meyler go for free. We might even see Walker go so that Southwood and Ward can take up second and third choice in the goalkeeping department. Gunter may go to Cardiff City/back to another Championship club, could easily see that happen after serving us for a number of years. Same with McCleary although he may need to drop down a level.

Popa is rumoured to leave, as is Kelly on a perm deal. Baldock, McNulty and Baldock may all go if we're able to sign another striker and bring back Novakovich. If one of them doesn't go, perhaps Bodvarsson will go instead.

That's a lot of wages off our books, surely will give us chance for wiggle room as you say.

Yeah I just mean at a minimum the players I mentioned are gone. The others like Gjnter, McCleary, Baldock, Bodvarsson, Walker and whoever else I forgot might go but equally might stay.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2019 10:19

This is the squad list based on possible departures, the players in red could go.

GK – Southwood, Ward, Martinez (loanee), Mannone (on loan, perm in Jan 2020), Walker, Jaakkola
CB – Moore, McIntyre, Osho, Holmes, Miazga (loanee), McShane, O’Shea, Gravenberch
LB – Obita (if fit), Blackett, Medford-Smith, Richards (loan)
RB – Yiadom, Watson, Howe, Gunter
CDM/CM – Rinomhota, East, Baker (loanee), Ezatolahi (loanee), Kelly (loan), Meyler, Van Den Berg
CAM – Swift, Olise, Ejaria (loanee)
LW – Barrow, Barrett, Harriott
RW – McCleary, Popa
ST – Novakovich, Meite, Loader, Oliveira (loanee), Bodvarsson, Baldock, McNulty, Smith (loan), House (loan)

POSSIBLE DEPARTURES (anyone really but these are the most likely): Mannone (perm Jan 2020 after loan return), Walker, Jaakkola (ooc), McShane (ooc), O’Shea (retiring), Gravenberch (ooc), Richards (loan), Gunter (50:50 on him), Kelly (loan, although Courtney Friday is reporting he might leave for a cut price deal), Meyler, Van Den Berg, Harriott (ooc), McCleary, Popa, Bodvarsson (50:50 on him as well), Baldock, McNulty, Smith (loan or perm), House (loan)

Rebuild needed, whether we can be smart enough with our lack of funds remains to be seen, I trust Howe and Gomes. I feel like I must have missed some players out on that squad list, we look very light especially in central midfield and will do in the wing area too.

We'll probably need: 1 X first choice GK, 1 X first choice CB, 1 X Experienced Right Back (If Watson is deemed not good enough), 1 X centre midfield rebuild, 2/3 X wingers, 1 X Striker (if Novakovich isn't deemed good enough yet OR if Meite isn't seen as the #1 striker).

However, this is based off of every single player in that list leaving. A centre midfield rebuild is required regardless. Meyler and JVDB simply have to go. Ezatolahi could be a good addition on a free.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 May 2019 10:24

RoyalJones

I think the gist is anyone can go if we get a decent amount of money for them

I think olise, loader and McIntyre could be useful for the next season, in addition to possibly others. I wasn’t sure about olise, I thought he was poor at stoke but he was much livelier yesterday, and loader seemed to move the ball on a lot quicker which was one of his biggest weaknesses before. Barrett I’m not sure about, and was interesting to hear Gomes allude to his weight in his post match interview

A couple of loanees, a couple of permanents and a couple more academy players brought up and I think we’ll be ok next season

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 06 May 2019 10:42

URZZZZ
RoyalJones

I think olise, loader and McIntyre could be useful for the next season, in addition to possibly others. I wasn’t sure about olise, I thought he was poor at stoke but he was much livelier yesterday, and loader seemed to move the ball on a lot quicker which was one of his biggest weaknesses before. Barrett I’m not sure about, and was interesting to hear Gomes allude to his weight in his post match interview

A couple of loanees, a couple of permanents and a couple more academy players brought up and I think we’ll be ok next season

Heard that Oshea was on £40k per week so those players would I reckon save about 100k pw so £5m pa But that alone would not turn the kind of deficit we are facing. Don't forget if we sign players we need to add that back in. I estimate we will need to have a target next season of -£3m to +£3m to avoid a 9 pt deduction.Thats a big turnaround to, I think, an estimated loss this season of around £15m.

I think you are right that we will sell anyone that we get a significant offer for just to try and balance the books and rely on Loanees again and some of the promising youngsters. Unfortunately I can see that will be another season of fighting relegation until we are able to re-invest again. Will Gomes wait on that long??

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2019 10:43

paddy20
URZZZZ
RoyalJones We'll probably let Meyler go for free. We might even see Walker go so that Southwood and Ward can take up second and third choice in the goalkeeping department. Gunter may go to Cardiff City/back to another Championship club, could easily see that happen after serving us for a number of years. Same with McCleary although he may need to drop down a level.

Heard that Oshea was on £40k per week so those players would I reckon save about 100k pw so £5m pa But that alone would not turn the kind of deficit we are facing. Don't forget if we sign players we need to add that back in. I estimate we will need to have a target next season of -£3m to +£3m to avoid a 9 pt deduction.Thats a big turnaround to, I think, an estimated loss this season of around £15m.

I think you are right that we will sell anyone that we get a significant offer for just to try and balance the books and rely on Loanees again and some of the promising youngsters. Unfortunately I can see that will be another season of fighting relegation until we are able to re-invest again. Will Gomes wait on that long??

40k a week? Cmon the club is not that stupid. He was on 10k max.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 May 2019 10:50

Not a chance in hell O'Shea was on £40k per week!

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 May 2019 10:58

PistolPete Not a chance in hell O'Shea was on £40k per week!

This is Ron Gourlay we're talking about :D but in all seriousness, I find it hard to believe he was on £40k/week

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2019 11:14

RoyalJones
PistolPete Not a chance in hell O'Shea was on £40k per week!

This is Ron Gourlay we're talking about :D but in all seriousness, I find it hard to believe he was on £40k/week

Would have made him our best paid player by a good 10k.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 06 May 2019 11:22

Josh Vela has just announced he’s leaving on a free. He would be a low risk addition, would compliment Rino well! And still a good age for improvement

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 06 May 2019 12:26

What’s clear by the press releases and interviews of late, the next 2-3 weeks are crucial for the planning for next season and what we are able to do. May will be massive for this club. Had a look at all those out of contract in the summer and if we are shopping for these players there are some that will improve the team but will have to act fast.
My picks would be:

Gk:
Westwood

Df:
Olsson
Klosse
Pinto
Bidwell
Hall
Knudsen
Odabajo
Barbet
Morrison
Mattock
Beevers
Furlong

Mf:
Fer
Henrikson
Powell
Vela
Brown
Rodwell
Evans
Cousins
Green
Harper
Ward

Fwd:
Sears

There is some serious quality amongst this list. If the likes of Baker did not re-sign for next season there is some possible replacements here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2019 14:14

mikey0406 What’s clear by the press releases and interviews of late, the next 2-3 weeks are crucial for the planning for next season and what we are able to do. May will be massive for this club. Had a look at all those out of contract in the summer and if we are shopping for these players there are some that will improve the team but will have to act fast.
My picks would be:

Gk:
Westwood

Df:
Olsson
Klosse
Pinto
Bidwell
Hall
Knudsen
Odabajo
Barbet
Morrison
Mattock
Beevers
Furlong

Mf:
Fer
Henrikson
Powell
Vela
Brown
Rodwell
Evans
Cousins
Green
Harper
Ward

Fwd:
Sears

There is some serious quality amongst this list. If the likes of Baker did not re-sign for next season there is some possible replacements here.

Barbet interests me and maybe Cousins but I dont know enough about a lot of others. Some are an outright no.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 06 May 2019 14:24

Bidwell would be a good acquisition. Barbet would be my choice as well due to his versatility at the back, possible upgrade on Blackett. Browne from Preston has had a good season and would fit in well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2019 16:22

Income is about £18m. Wages are about £30m.

£70k + £30k is £100k a week or £5.2m a year. So only about halfway there. :cry:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 May 2019 16:32

Snowflake Royal

Income is about £18m. Wages are about £30m.

£70k + £30k is £100k a week or £5.2m a year. So only about halfway there. :cry:

Cheers for calculating that! I hoped we would be closer and someone could say my estimates on salary were a little generous..
Potentially there is some bonuses in their too for these players?

Looks like shifting Gunter and McCleary is more important than i thought. Both must be on or around 20k a week.

1826 posts