Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Zip » 08 May 2019 17:48

Hound
Chameleon
windermereROYAL Danny Williams released by Huddersfield, would take him back in a heartbeat.

Suspect that money would be a major barrier. He's also a player that plays best when his next contract is on the line.

Liked Williams a lot, but tbh he is the type of player we are moving away from - expensive in wages and injury prone

Be interesting to see what level he is now after 18 months out though.

He won’t command big wages now. Plus he would be in a free. I would take him back.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 May 2019 18:16

Zip
Hound
Chameleon
Suspect that money would be a major barrier. He's also a player that plays best when his next contract is on the line.

Liked Williams a lot, but tbh he is the type of player we are moving away from - expensive in wages and injury prone

He won’t command big wages now. Plus he would be in a free. I would take him back.

His wages would still be relatively high, added to the fact he spends a lot of time injured now, and rinomhota is now the “ball carrier” of the team, I don’t think he’s worth it

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 May 2019 18:25

Notts Royal
WoodleyRoyal
Franchise FC
I would probably err on the harder side. They will have to plug any gaps from what they've already got and they'll have a sizeable Hazard shaped hole to fill as well

LOL yeah cos any player prepared to sign for us is going to be challenging for their first team :roll: Miazga Baker and alike won't even be 7th choice for them. And to suggest we might not get someone from them because Hazard needs replacing? just :lol:

Exactly - which is why GetReading/H Low should be utterly embarrassed by that article they put online earlier.

Is it a ‘major blow’? Hardly, absolute drama queens!

JLow has done well this season but that was a poor article. Miazga will barely register at Chelsea and has no chance of making their PL squad next season. Baker is more high profile but is very unlikely to make their PL squad. This decision against Chelsea makes no difference to our chances of landing those players.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 May 2019 18:33

Zip
Hound
Chameleon

Time to look forward. Gomes needs to build a team for the future. No patch up the existing squad with players past their prime.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 08 May 2019 18:39

Williams would make no sense, £500kish sign on fee, 20k wages and will have no sell on asset at the end. The reason why our loanees did so well they all had a point to prove! Williams at the wrong end of the spectrum. Our range should be 19-26, hungry players capable of carrying this team forward

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 May 2019 18:42

Lower West
Zip
Hound

Time to look forward. Gomes needs to build a team for the future. No patch up the existing squad with players past their prime.

We do need some balance. Lots of promosing young players are coming through but we need seasoned professionals too. Williams has only just turned 30. He knows the club and certainly wasn’t injury prone when he was with us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 19:31

He may be worth keeping an eye on depending on how in demand he is and what wages he would want. He certainly wouldn’t command what he did 2 years ago but I expect there are still teams who would be willing to pay more than we can for him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2019 19:33

Chameleon
Hound Don't mean this as a dig at Meyler, but seeing him tweet about 'be seeing Andy Rinomhota soon' etc, does remind you how much the board etc have to do in the next couple of weeks.

Letting the ooc players go is the easy bit. Finding willing takers for players in contract on good money, even if letting go on a free isn't going to be easy - Meyler, Walker, Smith, Watson might come into that group.

And then trying to get money AND wages paid for McNulty, Baldock, Bod, McCleary, Gunter etc again is not going to be easy. Why would McCleary want to leave for example? Settled in the area, good contract etc.

Don't see the need to move Gunter on, when he's behind a solid midfield he's easily one of the best wing backs in the division, versatile enough to be a really useful option.

All depends on how much McCleary and Bod are being paid, I like them both as people, but if they're among the top earners then they probably do need to go.

It's simply cost. He's very expensive as cover.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2019 19:38

Zip
Hound
Chameleon

He'll be looking for more than we can afford off the back of a PL contract. Plus players moving on a fee often command a signing on fee.

He doesn't really fit Gomes' style either. Head down and charge forward.

Not for me. If we're talking returning players I'd look at Big Hec's situation though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2019 19:42

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound

He'll be looking for more than we can afford off the back of a PL contract. Plus players moving on a fee often command a signing on fee.

He doesn't really fit Gomes' style either. Head down and charge forward.

Not for me. If we're talking returning players I'd look at Big Hec's situation though.

Big Hec would be a good signing. He seems to have really come along and offers great cover.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2019 19:47

Probably out of our league... not sure on his contract but another loan might be doable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2019 20:15

Hector would be great but Sheff Weds are front of that queue. Saw a £3m bid mentioned

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 May 2019 20:44

Assume Joey and Big Danzell will also be released as the are OOC too especially as Gravenberch was touting for a new club on LinkedIn

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 May 2019 20:52

3points Assume Joey and Big Danzell will also be released as the are OOC too especially as Gravenberch was touting for a new club on LinkedIn

Goners. I don’t think we have formally had confirmed that Jaakkola has gone yet. Popa will be sold. Aluko and Mannone are on long terms loans, What to do with Meyler? Hopefully sell for peanuts or loan out again. Then to the tricky ones who are still under contract that Gomes will want to move on....maybe Kelly, Bodvarsson, Baldock and Walker, Gunter, GMac and Swift.
Last edited by Zip on 08 May 2019 20:53, edited 2 times in total.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 08 May 2019 20:52

So already saving 10-15k a week (McShane), 8-10k a week for Harriott and 10-12k for O’Shea.

£1.5 million off the wage bill

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2019 20:53

Hound Hector would be great but Sheff Weds are front of that queue. Saw a £3m bid mentioned

That's a fair price.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 May 2019 20:56

Zip
3points Assume Joey and Big Danzell will also be released as the are OOC too especially as Gravenberch was touting for a new club on LinkedIn

Goners. I don’t think we have formally had confirmed that Jaakkola has gone yet. Popa will be sold. Aluko and Mannone are on long terms loans, What to do with Meyler? Hopefully sell for peanuts or loan out again. Then to the tricky ones who are still under contract that Gomes will want to move on....maybe Kelly, Bodvarsson, McNulty,Baldock and Walker, Gunter, GMac and Swift.

If all of the above go along with O’Shea, Harriott and McShane that’s 18 sold, released or loaned out which would surely be enough.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 May 2019 21:00

NewCorkSeth
Hound Hector would be great but Sheff Weds are front of that queue. Saw a £3m bid mentioned

That's a fair price.

Fair price? Seems a bargain to me. Let's not forget 8 years ago we sold Matt Mills to Leicester for £5m. :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 May 2019 21:00

Still don't get the "Gomes wants to move Swift on" argument. From 26 December to the 30th March (when Gomes arrived) Swift has started 16 out of 17 league games. Surely he wouldn't be actively looking to move him on if he played him so much

Maybe Gomes will be forced to move him on is a better argument because of FFP. But I have no doubt that Gomes doesn't want to simply move him on

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 May 2019 21:02

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth

That's a fair price.

Fair price? Seems a bargain to me. Let's not forget 8 years ago we sold Matt Mills to Leicester for £5m. :lol:

We sold Hector for 4 million didnt we?

1826 posts