The Forest is Green!

174 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Forest is Green!

by Sutekh » 14 May 2019 14:51

Franchise FC

There's something strangely heartwarming about a high profile referee being a real fan.

Martin Atkinson is a massive Leeds fan, but no footage of him a la Dean as far as I know

I presume all refs have to make it clear to the FA/FL etc. what teams they support which obviously precludes them from getting that team's games and any other games which may have an obvious effect on that team's season.

Therefore perhaps we should try and persuade some refs to become Reading supporters.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 May 2019 15:15

Sutekh
Franchise FC

There's something strangely heartwarming about a high profile referee being a real fan.

Martin Atkinson is a massive Leeds fan, but no footage of him a la Dean as far as I know

I presume all refs have to make it clear to the FA/FL etc. what teams they support which obviously precludes them from getting that team's games and any other games which may have an obvious effect on that team's season.

Therefore perhaps we should try and persuade some refs to become Reading supporters.

As said on here before, a friend of mine was a ref (who got close to getting into the Premier League) and he put down a lower league club he didn't care for as his supported team. When I lolzed and asked why, he replied something like 'it's literally my dream to ref at Old Trafford, why the f*ck would I volunteer to just throw that away?!'. He also reckoned it was pretty common among refs to do this.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 14 May 2019 15:16

Winston Biscuit
Sutekh
Franchise FC

As said on here before, a friend of mine was a ref (who got close to getting into the Premier League) and he put down a lower league club he didn't care for as his supported team. When I lolzed and asked why, he replied something like 'it's literally my dream to ref at Old Trafford, why the f*ck would I volunteer to just throw that away?!'. He also reckoned it was pretty common among refs to do this.

How close was he to the prem? Did he ever ref Reading?

Why WAS he a ref? Did he do a Graeme poll or Andres Fink?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 May 2019 15:23

The Enfield Royal71
Winston Biscuit
Sutekh

How close was he to the prem? Did he ever ref Reading?

Why WAS he a ref? Did he do a Graeme poll or Andres Fink?

he was in the 'select group' a few years back which was a group of football league refs who were considered the ones to have extra attention as they showed the most promise

yes he did us. I went with him a couple of times as his guest, had food and drink, chatted with the other officials etc. There was a big match (maybe Utd Vs Arsenal) on Sky at midday and we were 3:00pm. He had to get to games 3 hours early so I met him there and sat in a box with him, the linesmen and 4th official watching the first half while eating sandwiches. It was great getting their opinions on decisions They basically just watched the match while critiquing the ref.

He played England Schoolboys football but never made it as a pro. Decided to be a ref/lino instead.

Knowing him gave me a newfound respect for the dedication & fitness of football officials tbh. His fitness regime was brutal, and the fitness test they take twice a season is not easy at all.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 14 Jun 2019 10:48

Crushing blow to fgr as their wooden stadium has been cut down to size before it even grew.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Jun 2019 10:51

The Enfield Royal71 Crushing blow to fgr as their wooden stadium has been cut down to size before it even grew.

Were there no objections to this on the grounds of a fire risk?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jun 2019 13:32

Apparently one of the objections was the noise levels being a disruption to local residents.

Was it being built next to a bat colony?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 14 Jun 2019 13:37

Looks stunning TBF.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 09 Jul 2019 22:38

After the mare of the western supermare friendly being cancelled, the boys drew 1-1 with an almost full strength Cardiff side consisting of the like of etheridge, madine, reid, morrison et al.

The new signings are doing really well, especially the former bristol rovers stopper smith and the defensive rock and reading legend matt mills.

Unconfirmed reports that a former or current Reading superstar was on trial have been heard on the grapevine at this game aswell, although reports are that he is looking elsewhere and may have an offer on the table from a team!!!
Report:

"Shawn McCoulsky was on target as Forest Green Rovers got their pre-season under way with a 1-1 draw in a behind-closed-door friendly with Cardiff City.

McCoulsky scored from the penalty spot shortly into the second half to give Rovers the lead before Gary Madine levelled with 20 minutes left.

As part of the club’s training camp at Woodbury Park, Devon, and with the late cancellation of the friendly with Weston-super-Mare, Forest Green played their first game of the summer.

Their side included new signings Adam Smith, Matt Mills, Liam Kitching, Ebou Adams, James Morton, Kevin Dawson and Aaron Collins, while there were also two unnamed trialists involved."

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jul 2019 18:41

Matt Mills....does that mean that he joins his brother and also one-time Royal, Joseph, or has he left?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 10 Jul 2019 19:10

The Mills partnership is well and truly back! Together in defence They will lead us up to League 1!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jul 2019 19:18

Dunno about that, but should be a half-decent pairing in L2

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 10 Jul 2019 19:57

I think matt mills is too good for l2

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jul 2019 20:13

Maybe it’ll be a brief stay :wink:

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 19 Jul 2019 07:25

This is the sort of stuff we need more of. Well done to FGR, again at the forefront of English football and hope more clubs follow suit.

Hannah Dingley: Forest Green appoint first woman to run men's English football academy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49022232

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 31 Jul 2019 10:07

Great coup pulled off by the vegan army in prying matty cooper away from Peterborough

He is a quality goalscorer

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Aug 2019 16:19

0-0 so far

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 03 Aug 2019 16:38

1-0 T.Allen 72 mins

The Enfield Royal71