17149 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2019 20:17

Nameless
URZZZZ
Nameless
Would ‘massive salary increase’ go some way to helping you understand ?

He's relatively young for a manager - he doesn't need to go money hunting at that age

Hard to see your reasoning there.
The start of a career is exactly when you need to chase the money because odds are it will be a short career and you won't get many chances to earn.
There will be a lot of unemployed bitter former managers wishing they had signed a multi million pound contract when they were 45 so they didn't need to go hunting cash later on when jobs dried up.....

There are so many "roundabout" managers with failure after failure yet still find themselves in a job too often so not sure I agree

He was under very little pressure at Swansea. He had the support of the fans and had managed to cut the wage bill significantly whilst still producing a decent outcome. At Brighton, he'll be under huge pressure to deliver, the Premier League is a very unforgiving league and Brighton's squad is very limited at this moment (who knows what sort of budget he'll get)

The chances of him getting sacked are a lot more likely at Brighton than at Swansea. Surely he'd prefer to earn a "lower wage" than be unemployed

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 20:36

I think he certainly made the right move. If Swansea have to sell a couple more can’t see them doing anything next year tbh. Probably at least as much chance of keeping Brighton up than getting Swansea in the play offs, and probably a lot more money to go with it

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2019 20:42

I think Potter will regret the move. He’s jumped ship at the first opportunity. He can’t expect any loyalty if Brighton struggle next season.
He was turning Swansea around and the fans loved him. The Brighton fans seem a bit disappointed he is their new manager. Of course he can turn them around soon enough but I think he will struggle there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 20:52

I don’t think you ever regret giving yourself an opportunity at a higher level. He’ll back himself to keep them up

I’m still a little unconvinced his performance last year was all that tbh. They look like a mid table team that came mid table. Lost 16 players etc etc but how many of those were just deadwood from a bloated squad? Quite a few I imagine

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2019 21:04

They had a fire sale at Swansea and he had a threadbare squad to work with. Average age of the starting line up was just 22.
They showed a lot of naivety at times which cost them a lot of points. With more experienced players available they would have been considerably higher.
He reminds me of Mark McGhee who did so well with us but instead of building his name at Reading jumped quickly and never really did much. I think the same may well happen with Potter.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2019 21:04

Fabianski
Mesa
Ki
Bartley
Mawson
Amat
Clucas
Fernandez
Ayew
Ayew
Carroll
Bony
Montero

Wouldn't describe that as deadwood

This time 12 months ago, had you heard of Fulton, Grimes, Rodon, Roberts, James, Mulder, Baker-Richardson etc etc...they had a lot of unproven quality with no experience which is why a top flight team was interested in him

A move that he won't regret now but possibly in 6 months time when Brighton are languishing in 20th. But time will tell, he may surprise me and a lot of other people

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2019 21:07

You can add Rangel to that list and Britton retired. Abraham’s loan came to an end too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 21:14

But then they still had McBurnie, Fer, Naughton, Routledge, VD Hoorn, Dyer and obviously some good young quality at the club

Most of those players didn’t exactly excel in the Prem hence why they went down.

Not saying he did a bad job, just didn’t massively overachieve

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2019 21:20

McBurnie hadn’t scored a single goal for Swansea until Potter joined! For some reason Routledge and Dyer barely played in the first half of last season. Not quite sure why that was. He really did have a very young and unproven squad and worked very well with it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 21:23

Zip McBurnie hadn’t scored a single goal for Swansea until Potter joined! For some reason Routledge and Dyer barely played in the first half of last season. Not quite sure why that was. He really did have a very young and unproven squad and worked very well with it.

He had for Barnsley though (9 in 17 in the champ if wiki is to be believed) and was clearly a good player

Oh well, shows how boring things are round the Madejski at the moment that we’re even discussing this tbh

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2019 21:25

Hound
Zip McBurnie hadn’t scored a single goal for Swansea until Potter joined! For some reason Routledge and Dyer barely played in the first half of last season. Not quite sure why that was. He really did have a very young and unproven squad and worked very well with it.

He had for Barnsley though and was clearly a good player

Oh well, shows how boring things are round the Madejski at the moment that we’re even discussing this tbh

It is quiet at the moment, We just have to hope there is interest in some of our peripheral players otherwise we are stuck with a squad considerably weaker than the one that ended last season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2019 21:27

I thought he wanted to do his business very early on. Not criticizing as such because there's still a long way to go, but slightly surprised there hasn't been any incomings or outgoings (excluding OOC) yet

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 21:28

Likewise. he said at the end of the season next 2 weeks were very impt. That was 2.5 weeks ago...

Tbf a lot of the work probably goes on behind the scenes (and the likes of McNulty and Novakovich have only just stopped playing) but had hoped for a few more departures

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2019 21:31

The trouble is we need to sell before we can buy. Apart from McNulty how much interest is there going to be in the likes of Kelly, Bodvarsson, Baldock, Walker etc?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 21:35

Not that much from the look of it :)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2019 21:38

Zip The trouble is we need to sell before we can buy. Apart from McNulty how much interest is there going to be in the likes of Kelly, Bodvarsson, Baldock, Walker etc?

Kelly - wouldn't be shocked to see him go to Feyenoord
Bodvarsson + Baldock - two quality strikers for the Championship, I'd have thought there'd be lots of interest
Walker - meh

Will be hard to shift some of them (Meyler, Walker etc) but at the same time, I can still see quite a few with interest in them. The trouble is most teams don't do business till end of June/mid July ish. As we're waiting for outgoings to sign players, we might have to wait that long ourselves

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 May 2019 22:15

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ
He's relatively young for a manager - he doesn't need to go money hunting at that age

The start of a career is exactly when you need to chase the money because odds are it will be a short career and you won't get many chances to earn.
There will be a lot of unemployed bitter former managers wishing they had signed a multi million pound contract when they were 45 so they didn't need to go hunting cash later on when jobs dried up.....

There are so many "roundabout" managers with failure after failure yet still find themselves in a job too often so not sure I agree

He was under very little pressure at Swansea. He had the support of the fans and had managed to cut the wage bill significantly whilst still producing a decent outcome. At Brighton, he'll be under huge pressure to deliver, the Premier League is a very unforgiving league and Brighton's squad is very limited at this moment (who knows what sort of budget he'll get)

The chances of him getting sacked are a lot more likely at Brighton than at Swansea. Surely he'd prefer to earn a "lower wage" than be unemployed

You kidding?

Earn a high wage and be successful = moving on to better.

Or

Earn a high wage and get sacked in six months with a massive pay off then get another job.

Vs

Earn a lower salary and maybe get sacked in six months anyway.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 May 2019 23:01

URZZZZ
Zip The trouble is we need to sell before we can buy. Apart from McNulty how much interest is there going to be in the likes of Kelly, Bodvarsson, Baldock, Walker etc?

Bodvarsson + Baldock - two quality strikers for the Championship, I'd have thought there'd be lots of interest
Walker - meh

Will be hard to shift some of them (Meyler, Walker etc) but at the same time, I can still see quite a few with interest in them. The trouble is most teams don't do business till end of June/mid July ish. As we're waiting for outgoings to sign players, we might have to wait that long ourselves

I think JDB will end up going abroad, maybe Bundesliga, Netherlands, or Spain. Proven international. Random thought, Cardiff City

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2019 23:24

3points
URZZZZ

Walker - meh

I think JDB will end up going abroad, maybe Bundesliga, Netherlands, or Spain. Proven international. Random thought, Cardiff City

Cardiff is a good shout. Cardiff need a striker, and Warnock likes his grafters up front. As said before, I'd love to keep him but I find it extremely unlikely

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2019 23:26

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Nameless

You kidding?

Earn a high wage and be successful = moving on to better.

Or

Earn a high wage and get sacked in six months with a massive pay off then get another job.

Vs

Earn a lower salary and maybe get sacked in six months anyway.

Vs

Stay at Swansea, continue building a decent reputation, and maybe take them to the Premier League where they would pay him a higher salary anyway

17149 posts