Value the Squad

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Value the Squad

by Snowflake Royal » 22 May 2019 16:58

Wasn't he rumoured to be going to Wigan for £500k after a disastrous last season having been binned from the first team?

£200k now. LMFAO.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 May 2019 17:54

Just show that football will eat itself

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 23 May 2019 21:03

Ascotexgunner Loader 9 million? Did I miss something?

https://twitter.com/charles_watts/status/1131638987695841281

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 May 2019 21:07

I didn’t realise he only had one year left on his contract. Nice one Gourlay. Losing him for £3 million would be dreadful business.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 May 2019 21:32

Absolute waste of potential if he goes to arsenal/any big team to be honest. He’ll go there, won’t play and will become the forgotten man. He needs to make a sensible choice and weigh up game time etc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 May 2019 21:33

Same with Nova sadly

Still Sam Smith, Liam Kelly, Tennai Watson and Sone Aluko have 2, so no doubt all the clubs lining up for those 4 will have to pay through the nose

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 May 2019 21:39

URZZZZ Absolute waste of potential if he goes to arsenal/any big team to be honest. He’ll go there, won’t play and will become the forgotten man. He needs to make a sensible choice and weigh up game time etc

I’d be disappointed if he pushed through a move tbh

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 May 2019 21:43

This isn't the first summer where there has been interest in Loader. He's been more reluctant to sign a new deal than some of our other young players because... well I'm not going to put motivations in his head, but for whatever reason he is unconvinced of the benefits of a long-term contract at Reading when there's the possibility of a move to a big club any summer.

Weird to blame Gourlay, who was only here for a year, and left before Loader made his league debut!

Also worth noting that one of Loader's contemporaries in the Reading U16s, Jordi Osei-Tutu, is currently at Arsenal and has made their bench for European matches, more than Loader can say at this stage. He'd probably have got the minutes that Richards has had if he stayed here, but is that clearly better? I'm not so sure. Or look at the likes of Walcott, Cleverley, and Bridcutt, who all chose big clubs over Reading and did better than any of the local lads who we have brought through. Don't be so quick to write off the value of a move to a big club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 May 2019 21:54

I’m not sure I’d put a couple of bench appearances for Arsenal reserves above first team champ football tbh

But get the point that that’s not necessarily better for his long term future

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 May 2019 22:10

Free trips to Belgrade and Kiev and the chance to train with World Cup winners? I can see why someone would prefer that to getting beaten up in Rotherham and Bolton.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 May 2019 22:18

SCIAG This isn't the first summer where there has been interest in Loader. He's been more reluctant to sign a new deal than some of our other young players because... well I'm not going to put motivations in his head, but for whatever reason he is unconvinced of the benefits of a long-term contract at Reading when there's the possibility of a move to a big club any summer.

Weird to blame Gourlay, who was only here for a year, and left before Loader made his league debut!

Also worth noting that one of Loader's contemporaries in the Reading U16s, Jordi Osei-Tutu, is currently at Arsenal and has made their bench for European matches, more than Loader can say at this stage. He'd probably have got the minutes that Richards has had if he stayed here, but is that clearly better? I'm not so sure. Or look at the likes of Walcott, Cleverley, and Bridcutt, who all chose big clubs over Reading and did better than any of the local lads who we have brought through. Don't be so quick to write off the value of a move to a big club.

Gourlay was at the club for 16 months and precisely during the period when Loader’s contract should have been under review. Loader’s potential was well known so not to extend his contract at a time when other players contracts were being extended like confetti was short sighted.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 May 2019 22:48

Zip
SCIAG This isn't the first summer where there has been interest in Loader. He's been more reluctant to sign a new deal than some of our other young players because... well I'm not going to put motivations in his head, but for whatever reason he is unconvinced of the benefits of a long-term contract at Reading when there's the possibility of a move to a big club any summer.

Gourlay was at the club for 16 months and precisely during the period when Loader’s contract should have been under review. Loader’s potential was well known so not to extend his contract at a time when other players contracts were being extended like confetti was short sighted.

Absolutely. It'd be criminal if he goes on a cut price deal/free because of the negligence yet again of the higher powers

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 May 2019 22:50

SCIAG Free trips to Belgrade and Kiev and the chance to train with World Cup winners? I can see why someone would prefer that to getting beaten up in Rotherham and Bolton.

We never lost in Rotherham or Bolton :wink:

Footballer should thrive to play games. He shouldn't be content for "free trips to Belgrade and Kiev" and the opportunity for better training

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 May 2019 10:40

URZZZZ
SCIAG Free trips to Belgrade and Kiev and the chance to train with World Cup winners? I can see why someone would prefer that to getting beaten up in Rotherham and Bolton.

We never lost in Rotherham or Bolton :wink:

Footballer should thrive to play games. He shouldn't be content for "free trips to Belgrade and Kiev" and the opportunity for better training

Opportunity for better training facilities and practices should 100% be one of the reasons a player chooses to move clubs.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 May 2019 12:29

I’ve heard stories about Loader angling for moves. Heard last year that he was pushing to go unless he was given regular first team games.
If his career plan is to move and not sign a new deal then Gourlay can’t be blamed, players can play it that way and nothing clubs can do.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 May 2019 14:50

Nameless

I’ve heard stories about Loader angling for moves. Heard last year that he was pushing to go unless he was given regular first team games.
If his career plan is to move and not sign a new deal then Gourlay can’t be blamed, players can play it that way and nothing clubs can do.

Yep, would assume club had wanted to extend him. Gourlay may well have offered Loader a new contract, but he turned it down.
Now that he's getting more playing time, he could still sign, say, a 1-year extension even now, under new regime, if he loves the club and does 'best thing for his career at this stage', etc. Unlikely maybe, but just saying...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 May 2019 16:10

So he should just fcuk off then.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 May 2019 21:36

Oilroyal

Sell, Sell, Sell
Let's be honest if he goes to Chelsea or Arsenal he's just gonna be another Michael Hector. Wolves would be his best bet.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2019 16:06

Ascotexgunner
Oilroyal

Sell, Sell, Sell
Let's be honest if he goes to Chelsea or Arsenal he's just gonna be another Michael Hector. Wolves would be his best bet.

Difference here is that Chelsea never wanted Hector (it was Mourinho helping out Clarke) whereas it looks like Arsenal/Chelsea want Loader. Wolves could be OK for him because they tend to work with a small squad but I've heard they're looking at Rondon so maybe not. Signing a new contract here and getting a season of appearances is definitely the right thing for him to do, but who knows what he's thinking

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 May 2019 16:50

URZZZZ
Zip

Absolutely. It'd be criminal if he goes on a cut price deal/free because of the negligence yet again of the higher powers

He signed his first professional deal in August 2018 (it was agreed in June but couldn't come into force until his birthday).

Between then and Gourlay leaving, nothing changed. Loader's potential was already known but he didn't make any significant progress until that final October/November. During that time, we did give new contracts to several of our better young players like Osho , Nolan, McIntyre, and Southwood. It is very unusual for clubs to offer players contract extensions when they still have a long time to run, they signed a new contract recently, and the player hasn't been progressing. This wasn't a decision made because Gourlay didn't think young players should have their contracts renewed.

After Gourlay left, Loader stepped up and started making regular first team appearances. Historically that has been the point at which we have given out a new contract. The fact that Howe didn't get him to sign a new contract suggests that he doesn't want to. Either that or Gourlay and Howe both thought it wasn't worthwhile.