Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2019 07:50

Hendo
Zip
CountryRoyal I for one would be absolutely delighted to have Ovie back. He improved considerably during his time here and offers something different. Ejaria > Swift. Fight me x

Yep agreed.

Another +1 here, I was really impressed with him and would be happy to have him back.

Yep. Be delightful if bringing him in allowed us to tout Swift and get £5/6m for him and an inconsistent bag of well paid injuries off the books.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 May 2019 08:52

Hendo
Zip
CountryRoyal I for one would be absolutely delighted to have Ovie back. He improved considerably during his time here and offers something different. Ejaria > Swift. Fight me x

Yep agreed.

Another +1 here, I was really impressed with him and would be happy to have him back.

And another +1
I thought he looked a class above what we had in midfield from his first appearance. He improved from that as the season went on.
Way better than Swift tho didn't show he has a killer pass which Swift occasionally produces.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 May 2019 11:09

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ
Scanning through, his point wasn't that we had necessary "quality" there, just we have a lot of options there, especially considering we're light in other areas

Gunter - first team for many years
Yiadom - contender for POTS
Blackett - improved, played regularly for three seasons
Obita - has played for nearly four seasons at first team level, maybe he won't return to his pre-injury levels but he could still be a good option
Watson - played first team for half a season
Richards - been on the cusp of the team for two seasons now

Of course there are qualms about all of them. But if you were to compile a list of players in each position, I'd say fullbacks is where we're most stocked. Certainly compared to CB where we have Moore, then three youngsters who hasn't played more than one/two games each

Plenty of quantity. Unconvinced about the quality.

Do disagree here. Yiadom on one side and Gunter/Blackett sharing the other is an adequate set. Not amazing but good enough. Fair enough though

"Adequate"?
To just about survive relegation and now without the loanees who helped us survive.
I'm ok with Yiadom but agree with zip that we have quantity rather than quality.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2019 12:02

Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ
Zip

Do disagree here. Yiadom on one side and Gunter/Blackett sharing the other is an adequate set. Not amazing but good enough. Fair enough though

"Adequate"?
To just about survive relegation and now without the loanees who helped us survive.
I'm ok with Yiadom but agree with zip that we have quantity rather than quality.

Yes, they're perfectly "adequate" for a Championship team. Remind me again where we finished with Gunter and Blackett/Obita as our two fullbacks? I'll give you a hint, it was slightly above "to just about survive relegation"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 May 2019 12:42

I liked Ovie - worked very hard which I think was often overlooked

Him, Swift, Rino and one other in the DM role would be a very good midfield

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 May 2019 13:15

URZZZZ
Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ

"Adequate"?

Yes, they're perfectly "adequate" for a Championship team. Remind me again where we finished with Gunter and Blackett/Obita as our two fullbacks? I'll give you a hint, it was slightly above "to just about survive relegation"

And last season?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2019 13:24

Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ
Zip

"Adequate"?

Team as a whole not the same as a specific position. None of the loanees were fullbacks so irrelevant to a discussion about the quality or quantity of full back position. If there's one position we don't need to strengthen, it's very obviously fullback.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2019 14:13

Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ
Victor Meldrew
"Adequate"?

And last season?

Where our two fullbacks were probably in the top 5 players through the entire season (excluding January loans). Try again

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 May 2019 08:15

Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ

"Adequate"?

Team as a whole not the same as a specific position. None of the loanees were fullbacks so irrelevant to a discussion about the quality or quantity of full back position. If there's one position we don't need to strengthen, it's very obviously fullback.

Bollox

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 May 2019 10:43

Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
"Adequate"?

Bollox

I couldn't have put it better brendy.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 May 2019 10:59

So what’s stronger then? I’d argue striker possibly. Nothing else comes close. Completely clueless

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2019 11:10

Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal
Victor Meldrew
"Adequate"?

Bollox

Care to expand on why Brendy?

I know Vic is hard of thinking but you're usually fairly switched on.

What's wrong with our full backs, what needs strengthening less and why are loaner centre backs, midfielders and strikers relevant to the quality of our full backs?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 May 2019 17:56

Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal Team as a whole not the same as a specific position. None of the loanees were fullbacks so irrelevant to a discussion about the quality or quantity of full back position. If there's one position we don't need to strengthen, it's very obviously fullback.

Bollox

Care to expand on why Brendy?

I know Vic is hard of thinking but you're usually fairly switched on.

What's wrong with our full backs, what needs strengthening less and why are loaner centre backs, midfielders and strikers relevant to the quality of our full backs?

I know it has been said many times by many posters but Ian you really are an obnoxious and unnecessarily rude person.
Football, unless you hadn't notice is a team game madde up of many parts and last season the loan players carried our side to survival meaning that most of our own were not up to the task.
That includes the left-back position-Yiadom on the right was one of the few successes of our own players, all of those that played left back were not so this is a position that needs to be addressed , as well as a number of others, otherwise that relegation trap-door might become open.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2019 18:06

Blackett is reasonable enough tbh. Would like to do better but he is ok

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 May 2019 18:13

Hound Blackett is reasonable enough tbh. Would like to do better but he is ok

He’s at best OK. We also don’t know if Obita can return to his pre injury level of performance. Neither Richards or Watson have convinced they are good enough defensively. Howe has played a handful of minutes for the first team. Gunter is at a similar level to Blackett. So plenty of options but not necessarily great ones. If Yids picks up an injury we really don’t look good in this department.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 May 2019 18:14

So he is o.k. enough to play, as he did last season, quite a big part in getting us into the bottom 3. only to be bailed out by the excellent loanees who showed just what we had been missing?
In my mind we need better just to survive again, let alone pushing further up the table.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 May 2019 18:22

Zip

He’s at best OK. We also don’t know if Obita can return to his pre injury level of performance. Neither Richards or Watson have convinced they are good enough defensively. Howe has played a handful of minutes for the first team. Gunter is at a similar level to Blackett. So plenty of options but not necessarily great ones. If Yids picks up an injury we really don’t look good in this department.

Love how so many people can miss such an obvious point. These, at the moment are our current options (excluding untested youngers). I'm not counting Meyler or McNulty as they clearly have no future

GK - Walker

RB - Yiadom, Gunter
CB - Moore, McIntyre at a push
LB - Blackett, Richards, Obita

CM - Rinomhota, Kelly? (on his way out probably)

RM- McCleary, Meite
CAM - Swift
LM - Barrow

ST - Bod, Baldock, Loader - again the first two may be on their way

So you can quite clearly in terms of FIRST TEAM PLAYERS, the fullback positions nearly take up 1/3 of our current team, hence that is our most STOCKED position, as the original statement said

Hence, it's probably one of the lowest priorities. If Yiadom gets injured, we have Gunter and Blackett. Not great options but certainly a lot better RIGHT NOW than if say Barrow, or Rinomhota or Moore gets injured etc etc...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 May 2019 18:27

URZZZZ
Zip

Love how so many people can miss such an obvious point. These, at the moment are our current options (excluding untested youngers). I'm not counting Meyler or McNulty as they clearly have no future

GK - Walker

RB - Yiadom, Gunter

RM- McCleary, Meite
CAM - Swift
LM - Barrow

So you can quite clearly in terms of FIRST TEAM PLAYERS, the fullback positions nearly take up 1/3 of our current team, hence that is our most STOCKED position, as the original statement said

Hence, it's probably one of the lowest priorities. If Yiadom gets injured, we have Gunter and Blackett. Not great options but certainly a lot better RIGHT NOW than if say Barrow, or Rinomhota or Moore gets injured etc etc...

Whose saying we don’t need to strengthen in other areas? Yes we have plenty of full backs but not necessarily players that will help us move up the League. Btw if you are including McIntyre why not include Osho who I thought was excellent on debut for us against I think it was Middlesbrough?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 May 2019 18:27

Victor Meldrew

So he is o.k. enough to play, as he did last season, quite a big part in getting us into the bottom 3. only to be bailed out by the excellent loanees who showed just what we had been missing?
In my mind we need better just to survive again, let alone pushing further up the table.

Blackett and Gunter weren't why we were near the bottom three...it was our spineless midfield, the continued use of the useless Ilori and our goalie dropping a clanger every two games. And that's exactly why we didn't sign a fullback in January when he brought 5 loanees in...because they were performing at a good enough level

It wasn't just the "excellent loanees" who bailed us out because you don't win a game with 3/4/5 players on the pitch. You win with 11 functioning players and that included both the fullbacks. The loanees helped our cause but they didn't single handedly "bail" us out. Who's to say we wouldn't have survived without them

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 May 2019 18:31

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

GK - Walker

RB - Yiadom, Gunter

RM- McCleary, Meite
CAM - Swift
LM - Barrow

Whose saying we don’t need to strengthen in other areas? Yes we have plenty of full backs but not necessarily players that will help us move up the League. Btw if you are including McIntyre why not include Osho who I thought was excellent on debut for us against I think it was Middlesbrough?

Osho was relatively decent against Boro. But he was loaned out in January and struggled to get into a struggling Rovers team. McIntyre, on the other hand, stayed in the squad and was involved in the matchday squads more often that not

The problem is it looks like we won't be able to bring too many players in. Therefore, we'll have to prioritise positions and fullback at the moment is one of the strongest. So it makes sense to leave that part alone

1826 posts