Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2019 09:21

Crowbar6753
URZZZZ
Crowbar6753 So its looking a bit grim on the transfer front thanks to FFP, but its not all doom and gloom just yet! we still have a competitive squad which would still just about hang on to safety i guess.
So if we where to put a squad out today with the players currently on our books i would go for:

Southwood

Yiadom Moore Blackett Obita

Rinomhota Swift

Meite Loader Barrow

Bodvarson

Subs: Ward, Gunter, Osho, Olise, Barrett, Novakovich, Gmac

Yes i know there would be questions over the keeper with regards to experience, but there is plenty of potential with both of them. The defense is pretty solid and obita is questionable, so Blackett would revert to left back and one of McIntyre or Osho would fill in. The whole midfield is solid and competitive, so my only concern would be up top, and regards to the fitness of Bod? but we still have the option of Novakovich, Meite or Baldock.
This team wouldn't pull up any trees but if the worst did happen then its not all doom and gloom :shock: :D

Rino, Swift and Loader would be one of the worst midfield trio we've ever seen. Imagine the likes of Warnock, Pulis and co against those three, they'd have a field day

Add to that Blackett and Moore aren't exactly tall, neither Obita and Yiadom. Our two tallest players would be our striker and RW. We'd be in big trouble with an XI like that IMO

Hi Urzzz, i'm not suggesting its a great scenario, and i wouldn't want to start the season with this team, but the club seems to have its hands tied at present and if we cannot offload any players then the harsh reality is that we have no money to spend and bring in players. This was just an exercise to see what sort of semblance of a team we could put together if the season started today.

I wasn’t necessarily disagreeing with you in the sense that it could be an XI we put out on the first game of the season. Just the general point was we’d struggle physically with that team

But one taller centre half, a bigger midfielder (in the mould of Baker) and a goalie and suddenly that looks a very competitive Championship team

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2019 09:23

sandman
Snowflake Royal
Lower West Perhaps Blackett could play as the DM.

What is the obsession with playing people out of position? Play them where they are best. For Blackett, that is left back.

Not as weird as your bizarre obsession with insulting John O'Shea.

I'm just not a Utd fanboy like most of our support seems to be.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jun 2019 23:03

Lewis Baker is only 1cm taller than John Swift.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jun 2019 03:57

Swift is taller than I thought. Doesn't exactly utilise it though

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jun 2019 13:37

With little to no noise about the return of the loanees on permanent deal do we now go back to the drawing board with average Champ recruits? Does this spell another season of lower-mid table dross?

I hope the enthusiasm and promise shown by Gomes doesn't go to waste by poor business in the summer because a bigger club will snap him up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jun 2019 18:52

John Smith With little to no noise about the return of the loanees on permanent deal do we now go back to the drawing board with average Champ recruits? Does this spell another season of lower-mid table dross?

I hope the enthusiasm and promise shown by Gomes doesn't go to waste by poor business in the summer because a bigger club will snap him up.

FYI, lower mid-table dross is a step up for us and may be a challenge given finances.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jun 2019 10:07

Snowflake Royal FYI, lower mid-table dross is a step up for us and may be a challenge given finances.

Perhaps a different question is better then - what signings do we need to ensure safety next season?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jun 2019 10:15

John Smith
Snowflake Royal FYI, lower mid-table dross is a step up for us and may be a challenge given finances.

Perhaps a different question is better then - what signings do we need to ensure safety next season?

Literally no idea - we may already have enough of a squad to stay up. We don't know how good the Academy players will be if they play week in, week out. The key to me is not who we put out there but that they are well drilled in the way Gomes wants us to play and have the levels of concentration to exectute more weeks than not.

The question is can we do enough to change the season from being a 9 month trudge towards another 20th place finish or can we improve the squad enough for that to be a 14th place finish and give us a good base to hopefully do more next summer when money may not be as tight.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2019 11:44

I don't think we are miles away from a lower mid table squad. Would obvs need the academy lads to produce. Couple of loans to bring in some quality would be nice, esp at CB and GK

Something the lines of

Southwood, Yiadom, Obita/Blackett, Moore, McIntyre/Blackett, Rino, Swift, Loader/new mid, Meite, Barrow, Bod

Nova', Baldock, Osho, Barrett, McCleary, Gunter, Ward

would be just about ok I reckon.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jun 2019 11:50

What's everyone's obsession with Novakovich?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 04 Jun 2019 12:22

John Smith What's everyone's obsession with Novakovich?

The fact that he’s played at a decent level, with a good goal scoring record. And is the most complete striker we have at the club, and most similar in style/presence to Nelson. Plus...probably on cheaper wages and would mean we wouldn’t need to shell out for another striker

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2019 13:05

On the bench JS - thats hardly an obsession. Not basing the team round him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jun 2019 13:06

The question is why have you written him off.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jun 2019 13:07

Notts Royal

The fact that he is the most complete striker we have at the club

Stop posting drivel on this forum and go and follow Notts County instead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2019 13:16

a little Gunter interview on the BBC about Reading. Doesn't sound like he is especially keen to go anywhere

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Jun 2019 13:31

Hound a little Gunter interview on the BBC about Reading. Doesn't sound like he is especially keen to go anywhere

Why would he, cushty little contract, family (?) will be settled, this is the best he’s going to get.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jun 2019 13:40

Hound a little Gunter interview on the BBC about Reading. Doesn't sound like he is especially keen to go anywhere

He mentioned coming back into the side for the last few games and keeping his place - sounded like he didn't see himself sitting on the bench all season, which may influence his thinking.

Also mentioned something about being professional - doing his job and not causing trouble. Which sounded to me like if the club did want him out for financial reasons, he wouldn't throw a strop and refuse to budge, because he wouldn't like the damage that would do to his reputation. That may of course be wishful thinking on my part....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jun 2019 18:30

If there's anything Gunter can't be accused of its a poor attitude or lack of professionalism.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 04 Jun 2019 18:50

Notts Royal

The fact that he’s played at a decent level, with a good goal scoring record. And is the most complete striker we have at the club, and most similar in style/presence to Nelson. Plus...probably on cheaper wages and would mean we wouldn’t need to shell out for another striker

I agree on him being a cheaper option, but 9 in 27 (+2) in the Eredivisie is hardly prolific - joint 26th top scorer in the league and 52nd for goals per 90 (min 10 games). 1.8 shots per 90 also suggests a very different style of play to Oliveira, who averages over double that across his career. Put another way, how excited would be be about signing outright a player with that record? Would we expect them to be a main contributor next season?

My expectations for him are very low - it was a good loan spell but not a great one IMO. I very much hope to be proved wrong

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2019 19:54

1 in 3 in a struggling team is more than decent

1826 posts