Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Brain Traysers

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Brain Traysers » 04 Jun 2019 20:25

Hound 1 in 3 in a struggling team is more than decent

Perhaps in a good league which Eredivisie is not (Ajax and PSV aside). 2 of the 3 teams that finished below Fortuna had a player scoring more, and I would hope we aren't interested in either. It would be a huge gamble for him to be the/a main striker at the start of next season.

27 players played 10+ games as a striker in the Eredivisie last season - he ranked 18th for both goals/90 and assists/90. Personally, I would say he needed to perform in the top half of players to be "more than decent for a struggling team" - I think he did OK in a bad team.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Jun 2019 20:51

Isn’t 1 in 3 the usual striker benchmark?

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 04 Jun 2019 20:53

Liam Kelly has asked for a transfer...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jun 2019 20:55

mikey0406 Liam Kelly has asked for a transfer...

Just to confirm this is the Scottish keeper and not our erstwhile diminutive midfielder.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2019 21:05

Brain Traysers
Hound 1 in 3 in a struggling team is more than decent

Perhaps in a good league which Eredivisie is not (Ajax and PSV aside). 2 of the 3 teams that finished below Fortuna had a player scoring more, and I would hope we aren't interested in either. It would be a huge gamble for him to be the/a main striker at the start of next season.

27 players played 10+ games as a striker in the Eredivisie last season - he ranked 18th for both goals/90 and assists/90. Personally, I would say he needed to perform in the top half of players to be "more than decent for a struggling team" - I think he did OK in a bad team.

Fair enough. To be honest not making any major judgements on him, as not seen a lot. But they seemed to like him there and for a player in his second real season that’s a half decent return.

I’m not sure the eredivisie is particularly poor. Similar to our standard I’d imagine

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jun 2019 21:06

Zip

Just to confirm this is the Scottish keeper and not our erstwhile diminutive midfielder.

QPR fans seem to think he is going there. He was linked to us a while back

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jun 2019 21:14

Hound
Zip

Unfortunately we cannot make a move at the moment. We really need to sell some players in the next few weeks.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 04 Jun 2019 21:27

Shame as he could be a cheap but v effective first teamer going forward, the contract buy out clause is supposedly quite cheap

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 04 Jun 2019 22:27

John Smith
Notts Royal
John Smith What's everyone's obsession with Novakovich?

The fact that he is the most complete striker we have at the club

Stop posting drivel on this forum and go and follow Notts County instead.

Seasons finished mate in case you didn’t know.

I’ve been supporting Reading for 26 years you mong, not going to give up now

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 07:50

Hound I don't think we are miles away from a lower mid table squad. Would obvs need the academy lads to produce. Couple of loans to bring in some quality would be nice, esp at CB and GK

Something the lines of

Southwood, Yiadom, Obita/Blackett, Moore, McIntyre/Blackett, Rino, Swift, Loader/new mid, Meite, Barrow, Bod

Nova', Baldock, Osho, Barrett, McCleary, Gunter, Ward

would be just about ok I reckon.

This is assuming we don’t have our usual 6/7 injuries at once...I wonder how many times in the last few years we’ve had the whole squad fit and available

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 07:54

Brain Traysers
Notts Royal
John Smith What's everyone's obsession with Novakovich?

The fact that he’s played at a decent level, with a good goal scoring record. And is the most complete striker we have at the club, and most similar in style/presence to Nelson. Plus...probably on cheaper wages and would mean we wouldn’t need to shell out for another striker

I agree on him being a cheaper option, but 9 in 27 (+2) in the Eredivisie is hardly prolific - joint 26th top scorer in the league and 52nd for goals per 90 (min 10 games). 1.8 shots per 90 also suggests a very different style of play to Oliveira, who averages over double that across his career. Put another way, how excited would be be about signing outright a player with that record? Would we expect them to be a main contributor next season?

My expectations for him are very low - it was a good loan spell but not a great one IMO. I very much hope to be proved wrong

Very much this. I think he may be able
to do a job but people seem to be overhyping him with insufficient evidence that he actually is an adequate Championship striker. Unless we keep Bodvarsson/Baldock/McNulty, relying on Nova, Loader and even Nelson if we somehow get him back would be really risky IMO

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 07:55

Zip
Hound
Zip

Unfortunately we cannot make a move at the moment. We really need to sell some players in the next few weeks.

Days, not weeks to be honest. The window closes sooner than people think, we need to do some sort of activity in the near future

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 08:41

URZZZZ
Hound I don't think we are miles away from a lower mid table squad. Would obvs need the academy lads to produce. Couple of loans to bring in some quality would be nice, esp at CB and GK

Something the lines of

Southwood, Yiadom, Obita/Blackett, Moore, McIntyre/Blackett, Rino, Swift, Loader/new mid, Meite, Barrow, Bod

Nova', Baldock, Osho, Barrett, McCleary, Gunter, Ward

would be just about ok I reckon.

This is assuming we don’t have our usual 6/7 injuries at once...I wonder how many times in the last few years we’ve had the whole squad fit and available

well yes. I mean we do need to strengthen, but that is also not including the likes of Meyler, McNulty and Kelly who I'm assuming will go. If not, they could do a job. Also forgot Olise who would be knocking about in that squad, and other U23s who we'd expect to see this year - East, Frost, Howe and maybe a couple of others.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jun 2019 08:58

URZZZZ
Zip
Hound

Days, not weeks to be honest. The window closes sooner than people think, we need to do some sort of activity in the near future

It closes on 8th August, over 2 months away...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 09:03

as always it will heat up nearer the end of the window, as players realise they aren't going to get game time etc, and clubs maybe lower their prices for players to get them off the books etc

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 09:21

Hendo
URZZZZ
Zip

Congratulations on stating the obvious. We were told we would be doing early business to work on the squad over pre season etc...nothing yet (ins or outs). It’s all well and good saying “it closes on 8th August” but the reality is we need to bring players in ASAP so they can work with the squad over the summer. It took our squad a good 5/6 weeks after the January window to reach its potential and gain results. We can’t afford another slow start to the season waiting for players to adapt

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2019 09:28

URZZZZ
Brain Traysers I agree on him being a cheaper option, but 9 in 27 (+2) in the Eredivisie is hardly prolific - joint 26th top scorer in the league and 52nd for goals per 90 (min 10 games). 1.8 shots per 90 also suggests a very different style of play to Oliveira, who averages over double that across his career. Put another way, how excited would be be about signing outright a player with that record? Would we expect them to be a main contributor next season?

My expectations for him are very low - it was a good loan spell but not a great one IMO. I very much hope to be proved wrong

Very much this. I think he may be able
to do a job but people seem to be overhyping him with insufficient evidence that he actually is an adequate Championship striker. Unless we keep Bodvarsson/Baldock/McNulty, relying on Nova, Loader and even Nelson if we somehow get him back would be really risky IMO

Thanks for applying some sense to this subject you two.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jun 2019 09:30

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

Congratulations on stating the obvious. We were told we would be doing early business to work on the squad over pre season etc...nothing yet (ins or outs). It’s all well and good saying “it closes on 8th August” but the reality is we need to bring players in ASAP so they can work with the squad over the summer. It took our squad a good 5/6 weeks after the January window to reach its potential and gain results. We can’t afford another slow start to the season waiting for players to adapt

:|

You know this isn't football manager and things don't just happen at the click of a button? I would expect work to be going on behind the scenes, the club isn't obligated to keep us mongs informed of every little thing they do.

Players, agents, admin staff go on holiday, football works slowly over the summer and there can be a domino effect on transfers.

Pre-season hasn't even started yet, so the players aren't even back together, they don't fly out to Spain until 7th July...

Added to this, there has been a grand total of ONE transfer completed for Championship clubs so far this summer... and that is Bristol City signing someone, there hasn't been any sales.

https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2019 09:35

JLow made much the same point on his site, though I think Brentford may have signed a couple

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jun 2019 09:38

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo

You know this isn't football manager and things don't just happen at the click of a button? I would expect work to be going on behind the scenes, the club isn't obligated to keep us mongs informed of every little thing they do.

Players, agents, admin staff go on holiday, football works slowly over the summer and there can be a domino effect on transfers.

Pre-season hasn't even started yet, so the players aren't even back together, they don't fly out to Spain until 7th July...

Added to this, there has been a grand total of ONE transfer completed for Championship clubs so far this summer... and that is Bristol City signing someone, there hasn't been any sales.

https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

So why would Gomes explicitly say that business would be done in the first couple of weeks then. Don’t say something if you can’t stick to it because all it does it raise hope and give out false expectations

1826 posts