Champions League & Europa League 2018/19

432 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Champions League & Europa League 2018/19

by Hendo » 05 Jun 2019 12:23

genome
Sanguine Not really sure why everyone is going in on Vic (and I'm the last to defend him normally) - it's a simple point being made. I don't think anyone is questioning Kane's ability as an individual, but Liverpool's system revolves around the mobility of their front three (even in Firmino's absence, Origi has been a similar player - and look how ineffective Sturridge is in the system).

Vic said Kane is one-dimensional, which is objectively nonsense.

Kane is more mobile that people give him credit for anyway, he's not especially quick, but he pops up everywhere in Spurs' final third, and is probably one of the best passers of the ball in the league.

This is the very aspect of his game that goes unnoticed and is very underrated by a lot of people.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jun 2019 12:45

Victor Meldrew
genome Spectacular hole-digging

Stock response of the type of person who just doesn't understand.

Hi Kes!

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jun 2019 13:06

Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71 Since OMA flounced, you have become by far the worst poster here vic.

Your opinion is utterly laughable and seriously wrong.

And there was me thinking that opinions were opinions with no absolute right or wrongs.
I almost treat it as a compliment that you see me as the " by far the worst poster" as you are known to be not the sharpest tool in the box.
BTW has OMA disappeared?

"I am of the opinion that Hitler was a pretty nifty dude"

No. That is plain wrong.

As you are about Kane

He has multiple dimensions and has a multi-faceted style of play.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Jun 2019 13:23

Now that I've seen Kane written off as some kind of long ball target man I think I can officially declare this the worst football opinion I've ever seen.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jun 2019 15:40

Have to say Vic, i know dozens of Liverpool fans and none of them are anything like as one eyed as you.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 15:44

Maguire Now that I've seen Kane written off as some kind of long ball target man I think I can officially declare this the worst football opinion I've ever seen.

You obviously haven't seen many.
Also you do not seem to understand the intricate way that Liverpool play which would not be suitable for somebody like Kane.
You may be an extremely clever chap when it comes to intellectual connections but the finer points of football are clearly beyond you.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 15:46

Victor Meldrew
Maguire Now that I've seen Kane written off as some kind of long ball target man I think I can officially declare this the worst football opinion I've ever seen.

Also you do not seem to understand the intricate way that Liverpool play which would not be suitable for somebody like Kane.
You may be an extremely clever chap when it comes to intellectual connections but the finer points of football are clearly beyond you.
Still, you can't be good at everything.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jun 2019 15:53

Victor Meldrew

Or maybe it is just you Vic, as it seems to be a bit one sided on your opinion?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jun 2019 16:25

It's one thing to say Kane may not suit Liverpool's style of play but another thing to dismiss him as a long ball target man. If that were true, it would seem odd for Barcelona to be reportedly interested in him to replace Luis Suarez.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 05 Jun 2019 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 16:26

Hendo
Victor Meldrew

Or maybe it is just you Vic, as it seems to be a bit one sided on your opinion?

I think there are perhaps 4 of you:
Mags who considers himself an expert on all things but isn't too hot on football
Genome who seems to be in love with Kane
You that I know nothing about
Enfield Royal-say no more.
Others have seen and acknowledged that Kane would just not fit into the Liverpool system and clearly do not see what a key and integral part Firmino plays in the Reds front 3 with two of the quickest feet and some of the best close control that I have ever seen.

You can keep Kane and I will happily keep Firmino.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 16:31

From Despair To Where? It's one thing to say Kane may not suit Liverpool's style of play but another thing to dismiss him as a long ball target man. If that were true, it would seem odd that Barcelona were reportedly interested in him to replace Luis Suarez.

Really?
Why would they be interested when they already have a better player in Suarez?
I have not dismissed him as solely a long-ball striker-what I said was that Liverpool would have to change their way of playing if he were in the side by going long ball as he doesn't have the pace and dexterity to keep up with the two wide strikers.
BTW he is a good penalty taker and a lot of his goals have come from the spot but James Milner is even better. :wink:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jun 2019 17:45

Victor Meldrew
From Despair To Where? It's one thing to say Kane may not suit Liverpool's style of play but another thing to dismiss him as a long ball target man. If that were true, it would seem odd that Barcelona were reportedly interested in him to replace Luis Suarez.

Really?
I have not dismissed him as solely a long-ball striker-what I said was that Liverpool would have to change their way of playing if he were in the side by going long ball as he doesn't have the pace and dexterity to keep up with the two wide strikers.
BTW he is a good penalty taker and a lot of his goals have come from the spot but James Milner is even better. :wink:

Yes really. It was in every newspaper in January. Why would Barcelona want Kane over Suarez? Well, he has a comparable top flight goal scoring record (Suarez 0.68 gpg, Kane 0.7) and is 7 years younger.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jun 2019 18:11

Victor Meldrew BTW he is a good penalty taker and a lot of his goals have come from the spot but James Milner is even better. :wink:

Of his 202 senior career goals (club+country), only 28 of them have been penalties.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jun 2019 18:26

Victor Meldrew

Really?

:lol:

You are showing Kes levels or stubbornness and logic.

James Milner is better then Harry Kane......

Don't do drugs kids!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 18:45

genome
Victor Meldrew BTW he is a good penalty taker and a lot of his goals have come from the spot but James Milner is even better. :wink:

Of his 202 senior career goals (club+country), only 28 of them have been penalties.

14% is quite a lot and 50% at the last World Cup..
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 05 Jun 2019 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 18:46

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew

Really?

:lol:

You are showing Kes levels or stubbornness and logic.

James Milner is better then Harry Kane......

Don't do drugs kids!

Oh dear.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jun 2019 18:56

Victor Meldrew
genome

I'd suggest a sample of 7 world cup games out of 300 isn't particularly reflective of his overall career.

For comparison

Aguero has 23 penalties of 164 goals in the Premiership (14%)
Shearer had 56 of 280 (20%)
Henry had 23 in 174 for Arsenal (13.2%)
Wayne Rooney had 23 of 208 (11%). His % might be lower because he shared penalty taking duties with:
Christiano Ronaldo 110 of 601 in all competitions (18%)
Lionel Messi 83 of 603 (13.7%) in all competitions. He's also missed 25. A conversion rate below 80% for a top player is a bit shit IMO.

An admittedly small sample and just a few names I pulled out off the top of my head but 13-14% seems to be about par for a forward who is the principle penalty taker in a Top 4 team.

I got these figures for Aguero, Shearer, Henry and Rooney from a newspaper article published in March that I Googled and the figures for Ronaldo and Messi from Transfermarkt for anyone quibbling the figures.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jun 2019 20:37

From Despair To Where?
Victor Meldrew
genome

I'd suggest a sample of 7 world cup games out of 300 isn't particularly reflective of his overall career.

For comparison

Wayne Rooney had 23 of 208 (11%). His % might be lower because he shared penalty taking duties with:
Lionel Messi 83 of 603 (13.7%) in all competitions. He's also missed 25. A conversion rate below 80% for a top player is a bit shit IMO.

An admittedly small sample and just a few names I pulled out off the top of my head but 13-14% seems to be about par for a forward who is the principle penalty taker in a Top 4 team.

I got these figures for Aguero, Shearer, Henry and Rooney from a newspaper article published in March that I Googled and the figures for Ronaldo and Messi from Transfermarkt for anyone quibbling the figures.

So the overall point is that Kane and his fellow strikers get a lot of goals from penalties-so what?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jun 2019 21:07

Victor Meldrew
From Despair To Where?
Victor Meldrew

For comparison

So the overall point is that Kane and his fellow strikers get a lot of goals from penalties-so what?

But you were the one that made the point in the first place about Kane......

Classic Kes tactic #37885.... double down and deny it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jun 2019 21:13

Victor Meldrew 14% is quite a lot and 50% at the last World Cup..

Wasn't me suggesting that "a lot" or "quite a lot" of his goals come from penalties. Just pointing out that actually, he's about average for players who play(ed) a similar role in their teams.

Unfortunately "an average amount of his goals come from the spot" doesn't really support your rather obtuse point.

I'm just surprised you haven't played the "flat track bully" card yet.

Incidentally, 9 of his 17 league goals came against teams who finished in the bottom half of the table. About the same as Sadio Mane (12 of 22) and Sergio Aguero (12 of 21) slightly better than Jamie Vardy (11 of 18) but significantly better than Salah (18 of 22), Aubameyang (16 of 22) Raheem Stirling (12 of 17) or Hazard (12 of 16)

However, JMW ressurecting the VAR thread last night has highlighted a degree of anti Kane bias on your part going back to last summer, suggesting he has mastered the art if going to ground to easily, :lol:

432 posts