1826 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Zip » 16 Jun 2019 20:22

Notts Royal
URZZZZ
Brain Traysers
I agree on him being a cheaper option, but 9 in 27 (+2) in the Eredivisie is hardly prolific - joint 26th top scorer in the league and 52nd for goals per 90 (min 10 games). 1.8 shots per 90 also suggests a very different style of play to Oliveira, who averages over double that across his career. Put another way, how excited would be be about signing outright a player with that record? Would we expect them to be a main contributor next season?

My expectations for him are very low - it was a good loan spell but not a great one IMO. I very much hope to be proved wrong

Very much this. I think he may be able
to do a job but people seem to be overhyping him with insufficient evidence that he actually is an adequate Championship striker. Unless we keep Bodvarsson/Baldock/McNulty, relying on Nova, Loader and even Nelson if we somehow get him back would be really risky IMO

Are you saying you’d prefer to start the season with Bod/Baldock/McNulty rather than Loader/Nova/Nelson?
Can’t be many that fall into that category surely

We also have to include our leading goal scorer in all of this. Meite can play up front!!!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jun 2019 23:24

Notts Royal
URZZZZ
Brain Traysers
I agree on him being a cheaper option, but 9 in 27 (+2) in the Eredivisie is hardly prolific - joint 26th top scorer in the league and 52nd for goals per 90 (min 10 games). 1.8 shots per 90 also suggests a very different style of play to Oliveira, who averages over double that across his career. Put another way, how excited would be be about signing outright a player with that record? Would we expect them to be a main contributor next season?

My expectations for him are very low - it was a good loan spell but not a great one IMO. I very much hope to be proved wrong

to do a job but people seem to be overhyping him with insufficient evidence that he actually is an adequate Championship striker. Unless we keep Bodvarsson/Baldock/McNulty, relying on Nova, Loader and even Nelson if we somehow get him back would be really risky IMO

Are you saying you’d prefer to start the season with Bod/Baldock/McNulty rather than Loader/Nova/Nelson?

Nope...I said relying on just Novakovich, Loader and Oliveira (on the chance we sign him) would be risky because one isn't actually seen as a striker, one has played 7 minutes of Championship football and the other is injury prone. Therefore, we should be keeping at least one of Bod, Baldock and McNulty at an absolute minimum, preferably Bod but I think all three of them are good players

But saying that, if you offered me both sets of three, it would be close

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jun 2019 23:25

Zip
Notts Royal
URZZZZ

We also have to include our leading goal scorer in all of this. Meite can play up front!!!

:evil:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jun 2019 08:45

is anything going to actually happen this week? Need something better to talk about...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jun 2019 12:33

England play Afghanistan in the cricket world cup... assuming it isn't rained off.

Er... otherwise...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jun 2019 12:38

Snowflake Royal England play Afghanistan in the cricket world cup... assuming it isn't rained off.

Er... otherwise...

at least you've got your new bestie 'some folks' to chat to. I've got nothing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jun 2019 12:40

Hound
Snowflake Royal England play Afghanistan in the cricket world cup... assuming it isn't rained off.

Er... otherwise...

Sorry, you've lost me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jun 2019 12:44

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Er... otherwise...

Sorry, you've lost me.

I'll leave it with you :)

GazzTheSpaz

by GazzTheSpaz » 17 Jun 2019 17:32

We should put a bid in for that Kem from Love Island after his goal in the UNICEF match yesterday, twisted Terry up a treat :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jun 2019 17:32

Hound is anything going to actually happen this week? Need something better to talk about...

Nope. Business to be done in July

According to Jonathan Low
Last edited by URZZZZ on 17 Jun 2019 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Jun 2019 17:37

Hound is anything going to actually happen this week? Need something better to talk about...

Hopefully so. I’m getting considerably bored of reading about “5 players from Europe we could sign” or “30 free agents in the Prem we could sign” or weekly webchats where we find out nothing new!

Bring back Watts!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jun 2019 21:51

Notts Royal

Hopefully so. I’m getting considerably bored of reading about “5 players from Europe we could sign” or “30 free agents in the Prem we could sign” or weekly webchats where we find out nothing new!

Bring back Watts!

If you still follow Charlie Watts, he's posting similar things about Arsenal. That's what football journalists do in this fallow period.

At least JLow obviously built up a supply of interviews before season end that he is drip-feeding out. Latest is on Rino.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... y-16426469

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Jun 2019 21:54

Notts Royal

Bring back Watts!

Low’s fine. It’s very quiet at the moment. Not much he can do about that.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Jun 2019 21:57

Zip
Notts Royal

Bring back Watts!

Low tries his hardest and is obviously a very nice guy. Quite obviously, he's not on Charles' level but aside from that, I still think he pulls too many blunders, I know he has to fill content from somewhere but some of his stuff (basic errors, the pointless Q+A's) etc really are a waste of time

Saying that, that period where people were slating him directly was out of order and most likely keyboard warriors who need something to complain about!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Jun 2019 22:01

URZZZZ
Zip
Notts Royal

Bring back Watts!

Low tries his hardest and is obviously a very nice guy. Quite obviously, he's not on Charles' level but aside from that, I still think he pulls too many blunders, I know he has to fill content from somewhere but some of his stuff (basic errors, the pointless Q+A's) etc really are a waste of time

Saying that, that period where people were slating him directly was out of order and most likely keyboard warriors who need something to complain about!

He’s improving. He did well in the January transfer window and seems to be becoming more trusted by the club. The Q & A’s is amusing because I am never none the wiser after I’ve read his answers.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jun 2019 07:06

JLows actually been spot on. He has said nothing is happening and it isn’t

He seems to have found a little source somewhere along the way and rather that just spouting out any vague rumours actually gets it checked first

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jun 2019 09:39

Hound JLows actually been spot on. He has said nothing is happening and it isn’t

He seems to have found a little source somewhere along the way and rather that just spouting out any vague rumours actually gets it checked first

Poor bloke has got nothing to go on. Really tough.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Jun 2019 18:31

So.. what should we do? Anyone fancy a game of risk?

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 19 Jun 2019 13:00

With the news of the soft transfer embargo and me generally being bored I decided to take a look at what our starting 11 would look like if we did not make any signings.

GK Walker
DR Yiadom
DC Moore
DC Blackett
LB Gunter
CM Kelly
CM Rinomhota
LW Barrow
AM Swift
RW Meite
ST Bodvarsson

Excluded Obita due to injury issues and the likes of Loader, Barrett and Olise who I feel would probably be making most of their impact off the bench.

I would like to think Jose could get more out of that side than Paul Clement did but again it would be another relegation dog fight. Its clear to see the weakness in the Goalkeeping Department at Centre Back, Central midfield and would be nice to add a Striker that can play a few games in a row. (Basically a whole new spine of a team, a bit like the Winter Window) I would imagine we will be dipping into the loan market again this summer so may not be many signings until fairly late on when the Premiership clubs decide what there doing.

Not looking great currently, however the pain now should hopefully improve the future of the club going forward. Smaller squad to work on the training pitch with and hopefully a better overall wage management across the club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2019 13:16

yeah roughly how I see it. Kelly won't be in I doubt though, more likely to be Olise/Loader or East

Still gives you a bench of Baldock, GMac, McIntyre, Novakovich, Richards, Ward - and possibly McNulty, Kelly, Meyler +the other youth lads.

It isn't a relegation team to me, but obviously lacks depth. Need a new CB probably and a CM certainly. Can't see us getting above 14th at best

1826 posts