Reading's ground staff salary

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Reading's ground staff salary

by Cripple Creek » 01 Jul 2019 03:44

Great. Reading is offering jobs as ground staff at the club for 8.21 per hour. It's barely the minimum wage and is, frankly, a disgrace. Get unionised guys this is a club that does not have your interests at heart.

elrey

Re: Reading's ground staff salary

by elrey » 01 Jul 2019 04:25

Well, people don't have to apply for minimum wage jobs, now, do they?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 01 Jul 2019 04:31

That's a bizarre comment. What about people who need a job? I left a well paid job to become a carer because I wanted to do something useful and knowingly went on a minimum wage. I had the privilege of choice. Not everyone has that privilege. Apart from anything else why should a club that supposedly cares about members of the community put staff on a salary which is, by the way, below even the recommended government rates for the wage necessary to live on. Even if you accept that people have a choice over what work they do - a statement which I really, really don't believe- it shows an appalling lack of concern over people's needs to survive in a culture of austerity. It's shameful.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jul 2019 05:39

:arrow: Club Policies

As long as they're being treated within the letter and spirit of the law, and at market rate, then I don't see the problem. Certainly possible to live on the NLW in Reading particularly with the huge cumulative jumps in recent years. You won't be flush with cash but it isn't RFC's responsibility to make all their employees rich.

The labour market is currently very favourable to workers - the economy is creating more jobs than there are people to fill them. Aldi pay £10 an hour. Nobody is ever entirely happy with how much they earn but if they were truly unhappy then they would have left.

Also suspect the quoted wage is for inexperienced new starters rather than the senior groundskeepers.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 01 Jul 2019 06:03

Not quite sure who said it was the club's responsibility to make everyone rich!!! Certainly not me.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 07:42

This is for a Matchday role, not full time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2019 09:07

Absolute nightmare for CC here. Probably best to just delete the thread. What a chump !
The jobs are casual part time match day roles doing stuff like putting the goals up. Not sure how you could justify £50k and a company car for this which would probably be a nice hobby role for someone retired or on flex hours looking for some pocket money.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2019 09:14

Nameless Absolute nightmare for CC here. Probably best to just delete the thread. What a chump !
The jobs are casual part time match day roles doing stuff like putting the goals up. Not sure how you could justify £50k and a company car for this which would probably be a nice hobby role for someone retired or on flex hours looking for some pocket money.

Having said all,that (!) football clubs generally have been criticised for paying casual staff very low wages generally and compared to the riches of the players younwould think a couple of extra quid per hour for match day staff shouldn’t be out of the question. Slating RFC. In particular is wrong, and certainly in the terms it was expressed is just unreasonable when you consider these are NOT ‘proper’ jobs.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jul 2019 13:19

Cripple Creek Great. Reading is offering jobs as ground staff at the club for 8.21 per hour. It's barely the minimum wage and is, frankly, a disgrace. Get unionised guys this is a club that does not have your interests at heart.
I imagine these are junior roles which involve little more than just sticking a fork in the ground and treading in any divots, maybe pushing a mower in a straight line.

Hardly the most skilled job in the world, the type of role that probably should be minimum wage.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 01 Jul 2019 15:43

In the interests of balance I'm with CC here.

Why should the part time, "casual" nature of the work matter? No one is arguing against being paid pro-rata for what you do, the OP was concerning the rate.

Should've been in Club Policies though, yeh the pedants have that one. Well done guys, spotters badge + chocolate kettle for all of you.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2019 15:54

Green In the interests of balance I'm with CC here.

Why should the part time, "casual" nature of the work matter? No one is arguing against being paid pro-rata for what you do, the OP was concerning the rate.

Should've been in Club Policies though, yeh the pedants have that one. Well done guys, spotters badge + chocolate kettle for all of you.

Out of interest what sort of jobs would it be ok to offer around minimum wage for ?
A low skill, low responsibility, casual job kind of seems the sort that is going to be at the lower end of the scale.
This is not like paying 12 year old Bangladeshis 20p a day to sew replica football shirts.....

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 01 Jul 2019 16:10

If the wage is horrendously under norm, surely no one will go for the job and rfc will be forced to up the wage, what with it being a capitalist market we operate in. Although I suspect this won't be necessary.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 01 Jul 2019 22:04

Nameless

Out of interest what sort of jobs would it be ok to offer around minimum wage for ?

taxidermists, escapologists and rickshaw drivers

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2019 22:12

Green
Nameless

taxidermists, escapologists and rickshaw drivers

Ok, that’s reasonable.
Not sure the club are recruiting any of them though.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Jul 2019 23:29

Move to Club Policies? Ha, either that or Politics :wink:

So, er, were wages a problem when Gourlay was here? Don’t recall this being an issue back then. Just asking. (Yep, been told he blew money on playas, etc)

But seriously, pay ‘em a good wage! Attract good people, do a good job, etc.
Back the boys, (and the girls!), and make some noise!

(Runs for cover....)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jul 2019 05:51

Serves a purpose for those that want it. Easy money and you get to watch a fair bit of the game. A few perks, hot drinks and the occasional hot dog etc. My lad did it for a couple of years and went from £8ph to £10ph within a year, also got some sort of qualification off of the back of it.
Additionally, got some extra labour working for the club during his school holidays.....so not all bad.

Oh and......shouldn’t this be in Club Policies?? etc etc

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 02 Jul 2019 07:45

Cripple Creek Great. Reading is offering jobs as ground staff at the club for 8.21 per hour. It's barely the minimum wage and is, frankly, a disgrace. Get unionised guys this is a club that does not have your interests at heart.

Agreed m8 but no surprise to see the thread full of Tory pcunts. Reading fans are the absolute worst

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 02 Jul 2019 08:15

Depends on the role. Some are £10 and £11 per hour!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2019 10:44

Also means you effectively get a free season ticket and some free merch to go with it.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Jul 2019 11:05

dizzynewheights

Agreed m8 but no surprise to see the thread full of Tory pcunts. Reading fans are the absolute worst

:lol: